Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626 Troubles

Comments

• chgergchgerg Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Mazda 626 ES with green paint. I know that the car isn't a spring chicken but I've had problems with the paint for the past couple of years now (and certainly there are MANY older cars out there with original paint in good condition). It started to get little hairline cracks in the paint - I took it to the dealer - he said sorry it's out of warranty. Over the past couple of years the hairline cracks have gotten worse and now the paint has oxidized (I think that's the right word). I called Mazda - they said it's up to the dealer. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has the same problem and if you've been able to successfully get Mazda to do anything about it. Just in the area where I live I've seen a half dozen other 626 Green cars that appear to have similar paint issues.
  • hi,

i recently bought a used 626, and i took it for a long trip. when i was using the cruise control on the highway, the car would occasionally come out of gear, and the stick would pop in to neutral. i only noticed this happening when i used cruise control. does this seem like a serious problem, or is it nothing to worry about? otherwise, everything else in the car runs perfectly.

thanks,
    chris
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    I had acid rain damage the moment I picked up my car. I called the regional Mazda rep and demanded that my car be repainted. they stripped it all down and hand painted it. Unfortunately, it has not held up well either. Like me, my friend, we are both out of warranty; do not expect any simpathy from Mazda. They are losing enough money as it is in today's market. They are not feeling very generous these days.
  • worried1worried1 Posts: 2
    Hi,
         We just bought a 2002 626 LX three days ago. Didn't notice it at first, but I am really bothered by the whistling noise I hear while driving. From what I have read, it is the turbocharger. Is this noise normal or could it be an indication of trouble to come. It's not that loud but very annoying. We still have time to get out of this purchase, but we really like the car otherwise. My ears are starting to actually feel bad from the constant noise. Is there anything
    we can do to correct this?
    Thanks so much.
    ML
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I've been reading a little in here and I was wondering if things being said about the 626's 2.0L engine apply to my 2001 Protege ES 2.0L also? I know they are the same engine, but the Protege is built in Japan and the 626 is built here. Was the 626 2.0L engine assembled in Japan? Are different vendors used for parts like O2 sensors, airflow meters, etc? Does the 2001 Protege 2.0L have a Ford PCM? Thanks in advance.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Posts: 191
    I believe that the 2.0 626 engine was assembled in japan. Some of the sensors may be from the same manufacturer, but the problem air flow meter on the 626 is from ford and the one in the protege (that we also had some issues with) is from japan. The pcm in the pro is not a ford piece.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    The reason why I ask is because I went on a road trip to Chicago a couple weeks ago and my freind who was following me said my car smelled like rotten eggs quite often, especially going up hills.

I don't know if there is a problem because there was no CEL and I got 32 mpg going about 80 mph the whole way.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    You mention you can still get out of this purchase. Here is what I would do: Take the car back to whoever you bought it from and demand they fix the problem. If they do it to your satisfaction, keep the car, otherwise return the car and look for something else. If this is a used car, chances are that the previous owner was so annoyed by this problem, which nobody could fix, that he got rid of the vehicle (and lost a lot of money because the resale value of these cars is awful). Good luck.
  • rudeynarudeyna Posts: 1
    Hi! I have an automatic '94 626..in the last couple of days my gear stick seems to be stuck every time I turn off my car. I have to turn the 'shift lock' every time I need to restart my car. it has 146k miles on it, and runs mostly great otherwise. any thoughts would be greatly,greatly appreciated!

thanks!
  • worried1worried1 Posts: 2
    Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Took the car back to the place we bought it and had them check it out. Turns out the car needed a new transmission. Thank goodness we were under warranty. Hopefully we won't have anymore problems!!!!
    Thanks again,
    ML
  • Somewhere between the lever and its actuator on the transmission body, something is out of alignment - probably the linkage itself. Nuisance, but not the end of the world, and fairly easily fixable.
    It seems that your idle speed may be too low. I do not own an automatic transmission car. Mine is a manual V6 and I do not have any problems as you describe. In fact smooth idling under all conditions is the best thing about my car. Your engine should be idling slightly higher with A/C on to compensate for increased load on the engine. I would try to increase the idle speed somewhat on the car. I am not sure if the 4 cyl version has a manual idle adjustment.
    I'm glad you got your car fixed. However, you have just replaced the worst transmission ever built with a rebuilt version of the worst transmission ever built. I am on my 3rd, although I will say, it is the best of the 3 so far. Maybe it has something to do with the "Rebuilt with quality by Ford" sticker on the side of my transmission (NOT!!)
    Now I understand why the local Mazda mechanic told me that the best thing about my car was that it had a manual transmission. Mine is a V6 and no problems with transmission or clutch in 64K miles and 4 years and I do not anticipate any.
    However, there is no excuse for building crummy auto transmissions at this day and age. Ford has been making auto transmissions long enough to have them perfected - however, what they are doing instead is trying to make them cheaper, not better. I have a 1967 Ford Thunderbird with the original C6 heavy duty transmission that has never been rebuilt and still shifts perfect every time. How is that for comparison? The car is 36 years old! Seems to me that Ford could make great auto transmissions even better today. However, using computerized controls will not make up for substandard materials used to build a transmission.
    You are right. I think Ford has one last chance to earn any respect; that is with the new 500. If it turns out to be another slap-it-together-quickly Ford product, the competition is going to zoom zoom right by. It also will have a ripple effect on Mazda sales, of which many many 626 and Tribute owners are now snakebitten and don't need a any more reasons NOT to buy a Mazda.
    Checking the fan motor is easy. Unplug the wires from the fan and connect two test leads directly to a car battery terminals and the fan motor terminals. If the motor is good, it will run.
  • flamazdaflamazda Posts: 11
    Hello, remote button stuck (got wet), evidently actuated the auto trunk release system many times in garage. Now, only thing heard when either inside release button pushed or remote trunk release button pushed is a clicking sound from under dash relay (?). Any ideas, thanks.
  • lpearce1lpearce1 Posts: 4
    Hey all, I just bought a 98 626 LX 2.0 AT, does this tranny suck too? Seems to be fine so far, car has 60k and I have no issues. Car needed an allignmemt as the test course at the Nissan dealer didn't provide for hi-way speeds, and the cruise was no working. (They nabbed an actuater off an Expidition! Ha!) Who cares, car seems nice, very clean well kept, paid $5900 Any concerns? (well, $6400 including the POS I pushed into the lot!)
    Acording to some posts in Mazda 626 forums, these auto transmissions "have been improved over the years but are still far from bulletproof". Everybody recommends frequent fluid changes for these. I would also change the timing belt on that car, unless you have a proof that this has been done at 60K. I believe that 2.0 is an interference type engine so I would not take my chances with the timing belt on that one. Also , the 98 model and up does not have hydraulic valve lifters, so valve lash adjustment is required every 60K miles. I would also recommend replacing the spark plugs and spark plug wires at this time.
  • lpearce1lpearce1 Posts: 4
    Are you serious? Why did they do that? Let's go BACK in time? Just to cut costs I suppose, huh? Thanks for the info p100 - ;-)

Larry