Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626 Troubles

Comments

• czechoczecho Posts: 3
    How difficult is it to change the drive axles on a 97 mazda 626, 4 cylinder, 5 speed trans? I know I can handle the part of the job at the wheels. How hard is it to get the shafts out of the manual transaxle? That's the part the scares me. Been quoted labor rates of $220 to $600. Is it worth the hassle of doing it myself to save $250??Thanks
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Simple. Use a big pry bar or the straighter end of a crowbar and it pops right out.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Some oil will leak out of the transaxle when you pull out the axle shafts. Be prepared to catch the oil by placing the pan under the transaxle. Alternately, to avoid this, you can drain the oil beforehand and then refill with fresh oil. Mechanics often use plastic plugs, which they insert into the tranaxle axle holes when they remove the axles. These plugs keep the oil from leaking out, so only very small amount of oil is lost. Auto parts stores sell a set of these plugs pretty cheap.

One thing to consider is replacement of axle seals in the trnasaxle when you change the axles. It is not difficult to do and can save you a lot of aggravation. To replace the seals, you need to pull the axles.

After you pull the axles and replace them, and bolt the steering knuckle to the front struts, have an alignment done on the car. The original geometry will be altered.
    Replacement of the rear main seal requires removal and reinstallation of the transaxle, so it is rather pricey. It is best to combine this seal replacement with the clutch replacement (if you have a manual) becuase esssentially all the work must be done as for clutch replacement. Replacing the rear main seal by itself should cost about $ 500 at a Mazda dealership. They quoted me $ 750 for the clutch replacement which included a $ 190 clutch kit.

As far as water pump replacement goes, $ 1000 is steep. Yes, you must remove and reinstall the timing belt to replace the pump and on my V6 engine you also need to support the the engine and remove the front engine mount. However, it should be about $ 500 job including the pump, which is new about $ 110 from Mazda. It is much easier to replace the pump on a 4 cylinder model than on the V6 due to more complicated timing belt routing on the V6 engine.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    I would appreciate your ideas on what a rear-end noise on my 2000 626 could be. It happens when I go over a sharp bump and sounds a lot like something loose is rattling in the trunk. However, I've looked all throughout the trunk, tightened down the spare, removed the jack etc., and I still hear the sound. So I expect it might be from the suspension. Any ideas?

Also, I think the power lock actuator is going out. It makes a high-pitched noise when I lock the car, but it still works. Any ideas on the cost to repair it, when it eventually fails?

Thanks.
  • mazda626atxmazda626atx Posts: 227
    Did you get the car on a lift and look underneath it. It might be something obvious that you can see, and anyone guessing with just with your description, would be doing that "just guessing".
    Have someone sit in the back seat when you go over a bump and maybe you can isolate it better.
    Good Luck
    PGP
    The car was looked over thoroughly during a complete (60k-style) service a few weeks ago, and nothing was found then. I've had people in the back seat but they haven't been able to narrow down the noise.
  • twitmetwitme Posts: 7
    I have something similar in my 2001 626...the mazda dealership said it was a loose bushing or something, not dangerous...and about $140 to fix. I've had other rattling in the rear end though as well, so it could be other things. my 626 has had a host of low-cost rear end noise issues, no idea why.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Rear strut upper mounts.
    Is that an easy/cheap fix?
    Requires removal of the rear struts from the vehicle, disassembling them on a strut compressor, and replacing the mounts. Same amount of work as replacing the struts themselves.
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    There was a TSB about three or four years ago about a "rattle in the the trunk" but they came up with no definitive explanation or solution.Our DoubleOught has some of those fuzzyhaired little munchkins with chains living in our boot also and we just live with them 'cause
    it's not often they start tomfoolery! Our mechanic says that it sounds like a loose body panel.
    I would suggest you listen to ALCAN. He knows his stuff. A good mechanic should be able to confirm his diagnosis. Have you tried that?
    Did you buy the manual for your car or join ALLDATA? Those are 2 other places to start if you intend on getting to know your car.

Good Luck! I have done all three of them, and it took me over 2 years to find the gremlins in my 94 Mazda. ALCAN was a tremendous help.
    PGP
    I do appreciate the diagnosis by ALCAN and will remember it when I take the car into the shop. Right now my time and credit card are busy repairing damage to my other two cars caused by my son and DW. :(

This is a short-term "bridge" car for me and I will not do the maintenance on it myself (I no longer have time for that, unfortunately, nor the aptitude to do anything but basic maintenance) so I will forgo the manuals and ALLDATA.
  • bugman2bugman2 Posts: 1
    I have no fuel pressure or fuel coming out of return fuel line. I have lost of gas in tank. Pump seams not to be running. Is there a relay or bump shut-off switch in this system. Thanks
    Well I guess if its a short term bridge car it is not worth the time to really get to know it.
    I on the other hand have my wifes Mazda In Greece which is a problem to diagnose because they only have European version specifications, and my 93 400 SEL Benz in NYC.
    The only work I actually do on my cars, is help diagnose the problems, and buy parts for both of them, and make sure the mechanics install them correctly.
    I intend to keep these cars for a few more years therefore it was worth the time to become a Quasi Mechanic. My wifes MAZDA has 55K and My Benz has 70K pampered miles on it
    Good Luck
    PGP
  • Sunday it flash flooded in Dallas, and while driving home I ran into high water and stalled. (I was not being stupid, there was just nowhere to go. Everything happened so fast.)

I cannot get the car started again, so I had it towed home. It's a 1990 Mazda 626. It was on it's last legs anyway, but I need to get it running again til I can get a new car.

Water got in to about 5 inches. Within an hour my boyfriend and some others got it pushed up into a driveway so it could drain. That was probably deep enough for water to come in the exhaust. And as people drove by me, there were waves. I checked the dipsticks for the oil and tranny and did not see any signs of water. It's time for an oil change anyway, so I will get that done.

The electrical seems fine. The power windows, door locks, and sun roof work, the lights and radio come on, and the passive alarm works. The starter cranks once (a nice dull thud) and I get no ignition. I was on E when this happened, so I'm wondering if part of the problem is not enough fuel/pressure. I have no clue what if any computer components there are, where they are located, and if they got wet.

I removed the floor mats to dry, and I bleached the carpet. I also plan on renting a shop vac to clean the carpet. It is finally sunny here, so can I just wait for things to dry out? Any suggestions? I need this car to last a few more months, and it's not worth me spending hundreds of dollars on.

At least I live on a bus line and can get to work ok.

Thanks!
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Have you got it Zoom'n yet? There's an oxygen sensor before the cat.
    I just hit 140K miles yesterday. The engine runs strong and smooth. No rust anywhere yet. A few issues: I am getting some creaking noise from the left strut(?) when making a sharp right turn. Maybe it is time for new struts? I am also thinking about replacing the drive axles, as the original CV joints and boots are showing signs of wear as well. Any thoughts?