Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo

Comments

• dkeimairdkeimair Posts: 3
    Well I replaced theECM and installed a new idle motor to no avail, so now I guess I'll try the relay....stay tuned!!! By the way thanks for the info.
  • ramonacramonac Posts: 5
    I just got this car two mos. ago & have begun having problems starting it w/out a jump & keeping it running when stopping/braking unless I put it in neut. & keep my foot on the gas, even that does'nt always work, once it dies it needs to be jump started, when I first started having this problem I was able to restart w/out the jump before I had any problems I noticed these six wires that run to the fuel injectors (on the top R side of engine) that were melted after I spliced them together I started having this problem w/it dieing, I don't recall seeing these wires broken when I first bought it, but since I drove it six miles before I spliced them together w/out any issues I thought maybe I reconnected a problem so I pulled it apart, But I am still having the starting problem but have'nt driven it since undoing those wires, I'm afraid that I'll mess it up worse, I don't have any experience w/this type of motor, any clues what the problem might be???PLZ Help can't afford a mechanic..
  • tiebeammantiebeamman Posts: 24
    My car i a twin turbo all wheel drive . Don't know what you have. First of all it could be many things. Believe me!!!! I am sure you have checked your battery, and checked the alternator. It has to be putting out enought amp. very nessessary. The melted wires! fuel pump. Many things. But first find a good shop and see if they can find the problem just by diagnosing. That's the first place to start. Alot of the parts on the engine you can replace yourself. Order yourself the repair manuel on line and study it. It is very helpful. I can look in my book and read all the
    trouble shooting it has to give. It could even be the computer. Injectors; is another one. Check all vacuum lines , look very close and try and fine them all, and look for wear and tear. coils, plugs and wires, But first just go and have the problem checked. NOW; some times diagnosing doesn't always show the problem. It gets very flustrating. another is Idea speed controll servo, your mass air flow sensor. See the list go on. so have it checked first. I hope this helps. heres my e-mail address mjc3863@bellsouth.net. PS I am still trying to fine a very difficult issue with mine. It runs great. If i ever figure it out i will be a hero!!!!!!!!! But now i am taking a break from it.
    Did you ever get your problem fixed?
    My 93 Stealth is a R/T Coupe
    My is a R/T also .. Twin turbo ,dual over head cam, all wheel drive. Good luck and let me know how you make out with your repairs
  • rdst91rdst91 Posts: 1
    I changed the clutch in my '91 r/t turbo and shortly after my interior lights and brakes lights stopped working. The fuse had blown and keeps blowing everytime I change. It has to be a short somewhere, but I can't find it. Also my passenger window was working fine until last week. It will not go up or down. The switch box seems like it has no power going to it. If anyone has any ideas please share.
    I looked in the repair manual, and the only wire i see when you replace a clutch is up under the dash where the clutch and break pedal are located> There is the stop light switch, the clutch switch< vehicles with auto cruise control. Maybe one of those wire's got pinched sence your break light quit working. If you were up under the dash that is. Other than that i don't see any wire's where you take apart the clutch its self. As far as your window. get your self a o-meter and check for continuity in the switch. Repair manual will show you how to do this. Sorry i can't be more help. But that is probably what it is other than the motor its self. Alot of window motors are sold on e-bay.
    Me again, As to your problem with your window. There is a Power Window relay under your dash, left side; it looks like there are four different types of relays. It is the one on the bottom right. By your left knee.
    Re: My 93 stealth that wouldn't stay running, I don't want to jinx myself so I won't tell you the problem is fixed yet, but I will say that since taking it over to a friends house three days ago and putting a new battery in prior to that I'm not having any problems with it so far. My friend & I spliced those wires bak together and by the way after alot of research I now know those wires were coming from the VIC Motor and running to & under the Wire Rail. We also turned the idle speed up 100 more rpms ,it's sitting at approx 800/900rpms at a idle, my friend also told me that the problem could reappear since we don't know what fried the vic motor wire harness in the first place but it's been three days w/out any problems, I'm still holding my breath & praying like hell that it wont mess up again, Thanks for everybodys input. I'll keep ya all informed in couple weeks if it's still on the road. by ramonac
    Glad to hear that. So i take it that the alternator was doing its job. I don't know what the VIC motor is or what the abbreviation stands for. I'm sure i put a new one on my car but under a different name.. Thanks
    It's the Variable Induction Control Motor. There are two wiring harnesses attached to it those wires come from that motor and run under the Wiring Rail (which is above the Fuel Injectors). The purpose of that motor escapes my memory at this moment. The wires also exit the left side of the wiring rail, the vic motor is located on the Plenum ( right-hand side towards the back). I've taken in a lot of info & I'm still processing it all, but hopefully I've explained it good enough.
  • abrapoolabrapool Posts: 3
    I have a stealth that sat under a tree for over a year. At the time it was parked it was losing antifreeze and overheating, but running fine other than that. Now, I replaced the battery and can't get the clutch to release. I pressed the clutch switch/brake under the pedals and can get it to turn over but it isn't getting any fire. Is there some safety lockup on the clutch? It was towed but only rolled far enough to get it on and off of the tow truck flatbed with a winch. Also, where do you get a manual for this car?
    After setting for a year. Your gas filter could be pluged up . It is on the fire wall behind the battery. Easy to get to. I would replace it anyway. As for no fire, maybe
    corrosion on the plug wires and inside the coils. As for the clutch there are so many parts. I have looked it up and can't find a specific cause. But check the easies first.. There is a check VALVE under the hood. Looking at the engine on the driver side toward the back next to the power steering reservor. See if it is moving freely It is inside the vacume hose.
    Not much help but a start. As for the book. "Books 4 Cars $93.90 I can't fine the phone number, but i looked on line. They are out of Seattle Washington
    I just found the e-mail address to your dodge stealth."books@books4cars.com"
    Phone number=1-206-721-3077
    I have found so far like it looks like the neutral safety switch isn't connected and there was a box in the rear right of the car that had two plugs disconnected (is that the vic box?). The clutch was new when the previous owner bought the car so I can't figure out why the clutch won't disengage unless I screwed something up by pushing it without the key. I really am not liking the amount of vacuum issues with this car. There is a website stealth316.com that looks promising but I am going to bleed the clutch out and see if that releases the clutch.
    Hey, it looks amazing in my driveway even if it doesn't run.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,154
    Hey, it looks amazing in my driveway even if it doesn't run.

I like your attitude. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

that box you are referring to in the trunk of the car on the passenger side is one of the units that controlls the tour and sport suspension on the car.. Other parts control the suspension also. NOP...it Can't be just on part to fix a problem, it has to be more........ I assume your car is a twin turbo, all wheel drive, dual over head cam? Did you get the e-mail for the book and phone number i had sent?
    Did you ever get you idle problem fixed? and did the relay fuse fix it?
    Yes, I did thank you. The struts are brand new because the old ones were in the back, so maybe they disconnected it when they replaced those. The previous owner was a bit strange and had owned at least one other stealth. He had a bunch of work done on it right after he bought it two years ago, but ran out of money and moved out of state (for the fluid loss problem he had the radiator and a bunch of hoses replaced). After doing all of the work the mechanic he was using told him that he just guessed the heads had to be warped or the block was cracked. I maintain the pool and lawn for these folks and was given the car in exchange for some of the work I do. I personally saw the guy drive the car into the side yard and throw the pool cover over it. It looked and sounded fine at the time, but I was ticked because it was in my way. :-) I didn't have any interest in the car and can't believe I ended up with it. I haven't done any significant work on cars since the 80's. My teenage son thinks it is awsome, so this will be a bit more of a learning curve than all of my 4WD trucks and the old mustang. We shall see.
  • dkeimairdkeimair Posts: 3
    I ordered the relay online and have yet to receive it, but that is the next thing I'm going to try. I'll let you know the outcome.
  • ducvducv Posts: 1
    I have 92 dodge stealth twin turbo all wheel drive, when I shifted from G to N the rpm did not drop dowm, Its stay above 2000rpm, but when I slow down or stop then it drops to idle. what is the first thing that I need to check?
    Start out with the Throttle Position sensor Part # MD614405 $128.40 at the dealer
    Next or at the same time try the ISC Servo (Stepper Motor) I bought it a Discount Auto. Much cheeper. Number on the box MFG# 21987SK Also the SKU #18481643 $209.80 Total cost . I would put on part at a time on the car that way you know what part fixed it. This will be a start anyway. Its a darn hard car to figure out. I was never able to figure the problem i am having with my car I have put every new senor under the hood. One guy said it might the catalytic converter.
    I have taken a rest on working it. It runs great, just like a new one. But still have the one issue. Let me know how you make out.
    After my friend & I fixed the original problem my car started overheating quickly after starting it, my ole man figured out that it was the thermostat, so I replaced the thermostat w/his guidance & I've been back on the road since the 4th of July, we replaced the oil & filter yesterday. I just want to say Thanks again to all who helped during the Pain & Agonies I was having w/my car. I'm still praying that all stays good w/my Sweeeet Ride. Good Luck To All! This message is in reply to all who answered my pleas for help.
  • i have both cars 92 has pop up head light and they suck want to keep it smooth to the touch and eye
  • I have a 1992 Doges stealth./ 3000gt vr4. My AC controll unit which look like a little TV. The light went out. A/C still works fine. I looked in the manual and have asked many dealers if there was a bulb that can be replaced. No one new. HAS NAYONE Replaced the bulb or now anything about it. A new one is out of the fquestion $700.00. Junk yard is $100.00 Thank you
  • I bought a 91 Stealth ES about a week ago. I drove it for a week and it ran great. The other day I went to go away and when I went to leave my driveway, the car stalled...actually it shut off dead like someone turned off the key. When the car sits with the ignition turned off for a few seconds it will re start but stall again in a few seconds. When it is cold, like in the morning, it will start and run for a few minutes before it stalls. We replaced the Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump relay...NO LUCK. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • I won't be by my note's for a couple of weeks, but you didn't say you replaced the fuel filter. I am sure you did! It is under the battery tray if it is the same as my R/T
  • i just recently upgraded my '94 3000gt sl to a '95 stealth RT/TT and when i let off the gas it always backfires, just wondering if anyone has any idea what that could be. also was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to adjust the lifters. thanks