Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 vs Audi A4 vs BMW 335i

Comments

• spi5spi5 Posts: 48
    Don't worry. I don't know if A4 is better than G or not overall. And I have no doubt that G can run fast. If you saw my first post, I had a detail explanation on why I choose it. I just do not need a car for race track.

I've passed that age like - my car is fastest, my car is coolest, my car is the the best....

Now I choose the car base on the taste of it, fun to drive and again - "refinement".

For example, for the fun to drive - RX-8 > 335 > 328 > A4 > G > IS350 > IS250
    The looks - IS > A4 > 3s > G
    The refinement - 3s = RX-8 > A4 > IS > G
    The speed - 335 > IS 350 > G > RX-8 > 328 > A4 > IS 250

Of course, the above is just my personal rating. If someone ask my wife, she will simply turn down 3s and G because of looks which I do like those two cars. BTW, she hate the looks of my RX-8, too. :mad:
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    Glad you love your car. From your rankings above I can clearly see where you are coming from. I think you already know what I value.

Do you know what my solution was with the wife. I convinced her I know a lot about cars. Now I make all the car buying decisions ;)
    Right! That said; If the G has sleek or classic looks as IS or A4, my wife will take it. ;OR; If the G has refinement as 3s, A4 and RX-8, I will take it.

Unfortunately, G have neither of it.
    Right, as long as you are happy man, thats all that matters. :)
    Humor me, how does a car with all this end up lacking the refinement of an A4, by the way, the A4 is not even mentioned as anything that can stand next to the G. These days I try to let well established voices do the talking. If you can provide something for the A4, especially the 4 banger close to this, I will kindly bow down. Please, don't try to put the A4 next to the 335i for fun to drive or handling or anything for that matter, its highly ambitious :P

1. Car and Driver 10 Best - 2007 Infiniti G35
    2. CNET Top Luxury Tech Cars - 2007 Infiniti G35
    3. Wards 10 Best Engines - 2007 Infiniti G35 6MT
    4. Wards Interior Design Award - 2007 Infiniti G35
    5. Automobile Magazine All-Star - 2007 Infiniti G35
    6. Automobile Magazine All-Star - 2008 Infiniti G35 & G37
    7. JD Powers #1 Navigation System - 2007 Infiniti G35
    8. IGN Best Japanese Car - 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6MT
    9. MSN Best Winter Car (Near Luxury) - 2007 Infiniti G35x
    10. Consumer Reports (Best Upscale Sedan) - 2007 Infiniti G35
    11. Consumer Digest Best Buy (Luxury Cars) 2008 Infiniti G35
    12. AutoPacific Aspirational Luxury Car Award - 2007 Infiniti G35
    13. The Truth About Cars 10 Best Automobiles Going - 2007 Infiniti G35
    14. MotorWeek Drivers Choice Award (Best Sports Sedan) - 2007 Infiniti G35
    15. Intellichoice Best Overall Value (Sports Sedans Under $38,000) - 2007 Infiniti G35
    16. Automotive Lease Guide (ALG) Residual Value Award (Near Luxury Segment) - 2008 Infiniti G35
    Good! I hope you enjoy your 335i, too.
    Take it easy, my friend. I though you have a 335i. Now I understand that you have G. I might be too harsh on G. I apologize.

G doesn't make it on 2008 10 best car. Instead of that, Chevrolet Malibu make it. Will it make you think Chevrolet Malibu is better than G? My RX-8 was on 10 best cars for few years, too.
  • rascal99rascal99 Posts: 54
    These two cars are pretty different. I think it depends on what you are looking for. I will say one deal breaker for me on the G35 was gas mileage. All that torque is nice; but, you pay for it. If you look at the Edmunds user opinions people go on about the great torque, then they say "if only it didn't 16 miles per gallon". Duh!

I wouldn't mind driving one for a few days as a comparison; but, as I said the G and the A4 have more differences than similarites. No, I can't compare an A4 with a 335i. Then again, I can't get a 335i for $30 out the door. Maybe I will look at BMW again one day, but I am one that thinks the company needs a course correction in terms of styling and "technology".

And BMW USA please bring us the 1-series hatchback!!!!

">
    Edmunds long term test on A4 pretty much reflect the my own experience of A4. http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=106570

Anyway, it is a nice car to own for long period.

My co-worker bought a 350Z almost at the same time I bought my RX-8. Despite the rave review on 350Z everywhere, he said he want to change his car after couple months because the Z almost beat him to death everyday he drive to work. It is good on race track, though.
    But has the A4 made it to the list in the same year. No.

I am not emotional at all and you do not need to apologize. I am just stating the facts.

A4, 328i, C300, IS250 those are the cars that you need to compare. Personally I chose the IS250 from this list although its the slowest, in any case there are all slow :)

G35, 335i & IS350 thats a whole different league there. (Did not choose IS350 cos no AWD & 335xi wth all the options I need would have cost me +10K than the G and the interior of the 335i sucks IMO.)

If you want an A4 & G comparison, I have given you what the established voices have said, you have given me nothing other than your perception of the "lack of refinement" of the G, notice I have not given you my perception of the A4. I was trying to make it difficult for you to continue with the refinement path especially given those 15+ accolades. :)
    Yep, am on 18mpg with mixed driving. Not complainig though cos I knew what I was getting into. Howver the car is just too sexy to resist even with the bad mileage, its outselling every ELLPS with 300+ HP.

The segment is going to be interesting though, the 335i is going to receive a facelift (and hopefully a more exciting interior), the C350 is getting a new 300hp engine, the G sedan may be getting the 330hp engine (hopefully with better torque that the 270 they have right now).

And Audi is coming in with about 260 hp for 09 :sick:
    I think both G and A4 did not make it on 2008, right?

You are right that those two cars are not meant for head to head.

That said - If I want to drive a fun car everyday, I will go with A4, Bimmer or RX-8.

If I want a car to race on the street, I will go with 335i and get a stick shift.

G is just not doing best in either side. But it is a good deal, when you think about its price.
    No more, I enjoyed our conversation and as long as we are both enjoying our rides thats awesome.

I think you will enjoy this clip, it says a lot about Audi's quattro, its not in english though but the video tells the story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHPMUkhj5Q

I agree the G is pretty affordable, when you do the maths you realize that althogh the 335i offers greater perfomance, the G is pretty close and I certainly was not going to pay 10k more for the 335xi, not worth it IMO. Those with the money will argue differently and its not for me to say what they can do with their wealth :)
    Of course, and I hope you understand this quote in following link ".....I've also driven the G35. The only thing I can say about that car is that it has some straight on power. Nothing else of that car excites me whatsoever."

And that is exact what I feel. Ford Mustang may run even faster.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4471049&postcount=7
    Coming from someone who drives a 325i, whatever.
    So he mean G is even worse than 325i not 330i. No sure if 325i and G was about the same price. If so, I would pick 325i without doubt in those two.
    16MPG is on par of a mid size SUV. My RX300 was 18MPG.
  • rascal99rascal99 Posts: 54
    It all depends on how you drive it, of course. I guess you could baby the G35 and it would return some decent numbers; but, why would you want to do that ;)

It's unfortunate that a lot of us are looking at fuel efficiency so closely. A lot of cars that I would have considered buying at one time are no longer on my list, the G being one of them. The forecast for oil usage world wide is pretty horrifying. The auto market in China is growing 20% per year! I doubt fuel prices are coming down anytime soon. And to think I never really paid attention to fuel costs. No more. :(
  • r34r34 Posts: 178
    People in China are getting rich. They are buying Rolls Royce, Lambo, etc.

Anyway, it used to be like that:

A4 2.0t v.s. BMW 325i
    A4 3.2 v.s. BMW 330i v.s. G35

Now BMW has 328i & 335i and Infiniti increased the horsepower of the G to be more than 300hp.

Should we continue to compare A4 2.0t with 328 and A4 3.2 with 335i (and G35)?
    Is it fair?

Should S4 be included? Sometimes I don't know whether S4 or RS4 is going against the M3. Maybe Audi should consolidate these models.

For AWD, I think Audi is still better than BMW and Infiniti.
    It just like buying a house. You need to set your own priority - such as location, price, condition, size...

On the car side, it is style, price, safety, power, handling, comfort.....

IMO, any cars can be compared. Just pick the one that fit your life style. In my process to buy a car, I even compare SUV and Sedan for my own need. Why not?

However, it is pretty stupid that think your own car is on top of the world. There is no such car. Only you have is the one that fit your need - status of rich, practical one, fun to drive, fastest that can beat other on stoplight, safety or any combo.....
This discussion has been closed.