Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 vs Audi A4 vs BMW 335i

Comments

• sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    Here is my ranking

335i>G>A4 V6 model>A4 2l turbo

This is assuming value is not a big deal and I am keeping within the topic of this thread. In that regard yes you can compare these 3 cars and one has several factors in its favor and the last has several factors working against it. Notice I do not drive a 335i, I did not buy it but I respect what it has to offer. The car simply outperforms anything that aspires to be a perfomance sedan (KEY WORD HERE IS SEDAN). I cant think of any perfomance sedan that outperforms it, at any price. Maybe a SL65 AMG but as you can see, this is a +100k car. For that reason alone, even if the G has some bells & whistles working for it, this becomes a trivial argument.

Now G VS A4, I am sorry but I will refer you to the sales numbers for this one, the people have spoken, not me. :shades:
  • r34r34 Posts: 178
    Yes, I think it's on the top. Even though the G may be very close to it. I prefer the fun of turbo (and we are talking about twin turbo V6 here).

This topic is A4 vs. G35. I assume it is A4 3.2 vs. G35. Although I prefer the A4 (better interior, quattro, etc) , I think it's overpriced. You need to pay over 40K to get it "nicely equipped" but it is still under 300hp. I guess more people will take the G35.

If it is A4 3.2 quattro vs. G35x, the result may be different.
  • tleetlee Posts: 42
    "The car simply outperforms anything that aspires to be a perfomance sedan (KEY WORD HERE IS SEDAN). I cant think of any perfomance sedan that outperforms it, at any price."

The M3 is available in sedan. :)
  • spi5spi5 Posts: 48
    "....Here is my ranking

335i>G>A4 V6 model>A4 2l turbo...."

Your ranking is based on horse power. That pretty much shows what is your priority.

And I do have fun with G's power, but nothing else.

So, any car is good car if that fit your need. :) :D

Don't be stupid. Get some air. Or do some heel toe with your G http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/VideosCategoryIndex/category=How%20- To#1 . That is much more fun than running fast in straight line. And that is what sports sedan really is.
    Yeah I realized that shortly after posting it. But all things considered the M3 is a V8, ISF is a V8 but I think the M3 does 0-60 in the 4s and so does the 335i so its pretty efficient. My hat off to the 335i
    "Don't be stupid. Get some air. Or do some heel toe with your G. That is much more fun to run fast in straight line. And that is what sports sedan really is. "

I think sport sedans emphasize more on handling and feedback from the road, not only the power.....
    I am glad you said this, now here is what the G offers that is not available in the A4:

An engine that ranks in the Wards top 10
    An interior that ranks in the Wards top 10
    Music box, you can store up to 500 cds in the hard drive of the car
    A back up camera
    A CF slot where you can store another limitless number of songs and other media
    Birds view navigation, you see 3d diagrams of landmarks instead of 2 dimensions
    Keyless entry & start
    Touch screen navigation
    More interior room
    The Ipod intergration is simply the best available
    XM free for 3 months
    When I exit, my seat pulls back and the steering weel goes up to allow me easy access.
    When I start the car, the seat moves to my memory setting.
    My mirrors are set to my setting and my wife has her own settings and this changes at the press of a button
    I can watch videos on my navigation.

I noticed you were getting personal, I know your A4 4 banger is the best for you, but this is a comparison of the 2 cars and I am sorry to say, the sales numbers do prove which is better. Take it up with Audi not me my friend.

Besides, other than starting off with a smaller engine, your car has many things working against. Now you tell me what you have that I do not have, dont get personal and call me stupid :)
  • rascal99rascal99 Posts: 54
    An engine that ranks in the Wards top 10
    I thought the 2.0T engine did list in Wards top 10?

An interior that ranks in the Wards top 10
    Audi is renowned for their interior designs. The G interior is just different. It's matter of personal taste I think.

Music box, you can store up to 500 cds in the hard drive of the car
    I don't care about this. I would be constantly yanking CD's out of this thing to play elsewhere.

A back up camera.
    I certainly don't care about this.

A CF slot where you can store another limitless number of songs and other media
    I don't care about this.

Birds view navigation, you see 3d diagrams of landmarks instead of 2 dimensions
    I don't care about this.

Keyless entry & start
    Kind of nice. Some people don't like the keyless entry though.

Touch screen navigation
    I don't care about this.

More interior room
    I question this one. The G I sat in was pretty tight, and one of the deal breakers was my 34" (normal) waist would not fit in the seat!! I have heard others complain about this too. Maybe they have fixed this?

The Ipod intergration is simply the best available
    Kind of nice, but don't care too much about this. I will say the A4 integration is lousy. Maybe the new model fixed this.

XM free for 3 months
    Definitely like this; but doesn't XM offer this to all mfrs.?

When I exit, my seat pulls back and the steering weel goes up to allow me easy access.
    I don't care about this.

When I start the car, the seat moves to my memory setting.
    As with BMW's this is offered as part of an Audi pkg.

My mirrors are set to my setting and my wife has her own settings and this changes at the press of a button
    As with BMW's this is offered as part of a Audi pkg.

I can watch videos on my navigation.
    My god. Why would you want to do that? Seriously.

My whole point is some people don't care about this extraneous stuff. Some cars, like the TSX, cater to those that want this tech. I don't care that much and don't think it makes the G35 a better car. As stated above it is a matter of priorities to the buyer.
    So you prefer the ?????
    I can tell you that I dont care about doing 0-60 in 4.9 seconds but thats not going to stop me from saying that the 335i is a better car than the G. I can tell you that I dont care about the superior handling of the 335i as well. If you dont care about some things thats YOU, but it doesnt change the status quo. Personally when I buy a car I want everything my money can buy, including the latest tech available, the idea of driving with a million cds is retarded to ME. The idea of having a million buttons in a car instead of intergrating everything in touch screen is not the best for me as well. But I wont personalize this, the fact is one car offers more modern stuff than the other. Now add the extra horses, then its a no brainer to a lot of people.
    That is a typo. Should be "than" not "to" - "That is much more fun than running fast in straight line."
    Let me rephrase. - If you want to know something about sports sedan, get a stick shift and play some heel toe. That is just basic. If you are that proud of your G, you should get a (again) stick shift with RWD at the beginning. G35X w/auto is just not what most people known perfect sports sedan setup - Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive and a must have- stick shift.

Even a punk kid can drive G w/auto 0-60 in 6 seconds. What's point? It just show their stupidness.

r34 is right. Sport sedans emphasize more on handling and feedback from the road, not only the power...
    Good to know 2.0T engine is the top 10 engine. However, I like to say, those reviews or rewards are just for reference. Only yourself can decide which car fit for you.

If I just trust all those reviews, I might get a Chevy Malibu at the end. Which I don't like it at all.
    You are funny. I will respond in a somewhat personal manner as your post is personal.

G has been rated very well for handling and road feel thank you very much. BTW, the G35X is AWD up to 20MPH beyond that its 100% RWD unless slippage in detected so in summer the AWD never kicks in beyond 20mph

The punk kids driving 0-60 in 6 seconds are not stupid. Sorry man, there are just having fun smoking your car. :shades:

Personally I love automatics, thats my preference and I will NEVER drive a stick. Thank you very much

Sports cars emphasize handling, feedback & power. A car with all 3 is the better sports car.

Now that we have seen that we cant see eye to eye, we move on.
    Again, it pretty much shows what is your priority - smoke the other car. So it may not worth to discuss further down regarding what is a fine car with an outsider of stick shift.
    "That is a typo. Should be "than" not "to" - "That is much more fun than running fast in straight line."

Did I say that? I looked at my posts but I couldn't find it.

I think both A4 and G35 are nice cars but some drivers may have some issues.
    Some drive the car in a way like driving an Accord or a Grand AM, expecially some G35 coupe drivers (sorry to say that but I saw a lot of them).
    Well thats just sad, you pay +30k for a car & you drive it like a grand am!!!

Cars have different dimensions to them, there is bells & whistles, comfort, quiteness, handling, outright power etc. If you paid +30k, better make sure you are enjoying all those dimensions, within the limits of the law of course :)
    Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I agree with your mature statement "....I think sport sedans emphasize more on handling and feedback from the road, not only the power.....". That is pretty much what I thought.

Maybe my RX-8 is doing too well on handling and feedback from the road. That is why I do not feel G has anything spectacular.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    No offense here, but most of your responses are "I don't care about this".
    This is why each individual has to decide which car is best for them.
    Certainly, don't go by other's opinions or by what C&D says...

As for interior room, I love my G.
    I'm 6' and very, very comfy in my car. I may also add that I'm currently driving an Enterprise rental for a few days, since some dingbat tapped my rear bumper at a red light :mad:
    It's a huge 12mpg Jeep Commander and it has LESS interior room than my G. I don't care about cubic feet of cargo... I care about whether or not my kids can fit into their booster seats in the back with their feet hitting my seat. The G is just fine for me and my needs.

On a side note... I despise Enterprise. They lose my reservation for a Premium or Luxury sedan and after an hour of waiting, they place me in the Canyonero from the Simpsons. :sick:
  • I know they're all in the same category, but they're all such different cars! I've been car shopping recently (it's taking me forever since there's so many $30k-50k sports/luxury cars) and I've learned a lot in recent weeks about the pluses and minuses of almost every brand.

One thing to note is that when you get into this segment of cars (especially if you're used to driving non-luxury or non-sports cars, as I am), is that yes reviews point out all kinds of pro's and con's to each car, but most of the cars in this class are comfortable, luxurious, a pleasure to drive, and beautiful anyway to such an extent that you only notice a difference if you drive them one after another, or if you're already used to driving a certain make/model and switch to a new one. Overall they're all great cars (japanese, american, and german!)

Here's my take (and remember, it's just an opinion based on recent experience):

335i - Best traits: No contest winner in terms of driving pleasurability, handling, and overall performance. Cool styling.
    Worst traits: They're so common nowadays you'll be one in a sea of 3-series, boring and unluxurious interior (in my opinion at least), options cost way too much and its near impossible to find a model with only a few options.

A4 - Best traits: More luxurious and beautiful interior than others, decent looking, one of the best all wheel drive systems you can get
    Worst traits: Not as sporty as others, base engine is worthless for a "sport" sedan, front-heavy.

G35 - Best traits: Awesome engine, interior looks better than BMW, quite cheap for what you get (lots of standard equipment too!), very good handling
    Worst traits: Depending on where you live it can be as everyday as the 3-series, interior not as nice as Audi's, more unrefined than either Audi or Bmw, horrible manual transmission (at least for this caliber of car)

CTS -Best traits: Powerful engine with direct injection, beautiful and makes you stand out, classy interior is on par (or better in some people's opinon) with Audi's, home grown American made
    Worst traits: Not as sharp and athletic than any of the other cars, only slightly bigger than others but feels a lot bigger than it is, unpredictable reliability, costs more than other cars except maybe BMW with options

So what's my pick? Well actually I'm in the market for a sports coupe, not a sedan, and the Audi A5 is my choice, though Infiniti's G37 and BMW's Z4 are tied for a VERY close 2nd place. Beautiful, refined, luxurious, and though its not as sporty as the Bimmer and not as brutally powerful as the Infiniti, its 256 HP engine is still great, standard all wheel drive (among many other great standard features), and great overall package are a nice blend of everything I'd really want, including good fuel economy (unlike the G37, which is what killed it for me :( ).

Every car has great things and not-so great things about it, but in this luxury/sports segment it's really hard to actually hate any of these cars. They're all great in their own ways, and I'm sure you'll find what's right for you. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.