Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Power Windows

Comments

• I had both driver's side regualtors & windows replaced while my 2007 Liberty was under original 3/36,000 warranty. Yesterday,my rear passenger window popped. I took it to dealer & they said car is no longer under original warranty. I said thats ok becuase I have extended warranty. Well, you guessed it, this particular problem is not covered under Chrysler's extended warranty. There is only 34k miles on the car but the 3 years are up. Dealer wanted $605 to repair. I called Chrysler & opened a case yesterday. Today they called me back & said that they will pay for repair as a courtesy! When is the damn recall coming?
  • In most cases the failure is due to a broken plastic bracket that attaches the window to the regulator wire coil. The factory fix is costly and doesn't replace the plastic bracket. The permanent fix is to replace that bracket with a metal one for about $90 and ca. 1 hrs labor per window. The brackets and full instructions can be obtained from Steiger Performance; just Google them. Follow the instructions carefully especially for 05/06 KJs the angle of the ball that engages the new bracket (MUST be straight and the retaining clip must be completely behind the ball on both sides). Removal of the fuzz is easy with a drill driven wire wheel although some say a light application of a cigarete lighter or propane tourch will do (I did not they the latter).
  • Okay...took my 2007 Liberty in on Wednesday with the two broken front windows. Dealership called me back and said it wasn't under warranty (even though I had paid $2,000 for a 5 year/75,000 mile extended warranty and my Liberty only (?) has 68,000 miles on it at the moment)...he did say that my extended warranty would not cover the "new glass" since the "new" fix requires the replacement of the glass as well. I started to express my displeasure, but he quickly said that he'd try and get Chrysler to cover the glass costs.

Phone call later that day was to confirm that Chrysler would cover the glass and that my repairs would cost me $0.00.

I spoke to him about the chances of repeat window failures on this fix and was assured that the "old" plastic part had been replaced with a good fix.

The dealership that I used for this servicing was Farrish in Farifax, VA and I have been very satisfied with their customer service for the most part.

Sam
  • Be forewarned...if your front windows "sound like crap" and are tilting when raising, they are about to fail (I had both of mine fail with 72 hours of each other).

Jeep tried to say that the windows just needed lubricating (BS). A couple thousand miles later they failed BIG TIME.

Talk to your Jeep Service Department BEFORE they fail to get their opinion on what they will do if/when you come in with them broken. Will they try and get Chrysler to pay for them all? Will there be a deductible? Are you still under warranty? Even though they might tell you that you have to wait and see, don't accept that answer. Get educated before they throw a $600 - $700 bill your way to replace those two windows.

Just a thought...
  • My two front windows, and back left window all started to go at the same time. The back one totally stopped working (I rolled it down, it made a horrible noise, and started to slide into the door.) Luckily the back window didn't fall completely into the door - I could still manually push it back up. I called a Chrysler number that someone posted on this forum earlier 1-800-992-1997. I got a case number, and case worker, and took it to a dealer for a diagnosis. The regulators on all three windows, and the glass on the back window had to be replaced. I didn't hear back from Chrysler for over a week. I was persistent though, and kept calling them. Then in that time period my front driver's side window completely stopped working, and slid into the door. Chrysler agreed to pay for everything (minus the $100 diagnosis fee) and fixed all three windows. The regulators had to be replaced, as well as the glass on the two left windows. Now I'm just waiting for the back right window to go - I'm going to try to avoid using it. When I initially called the dealership they weren't aware of any recalls, and weren't going to cover the costs. Definitely call Chrysler before taking it to a dealer to get fixed. No one should have to pay for faulty equipment. My Liberty is a 2007, with only 40,000 miles. My car was no longer under warranty, but Chrysler was very nice about it and paid for it.
  • The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is trying to collect enough complaints to open an investigation. You can file a complaint at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

They have received enough of them that they did not even have to look it up on the computer to see if anything is happening. The man that I spoke with suggested that I spread the word on any Jeep Liberty forums that I was aware of. Good luck to us all!
  • I have a 2006 Liberty. Live in Colo. Apr - Nov and Ariz. Dec - Mar. I believe most of the window problems with the Liberty are a result of too much friction between the glass and the channels the glass runs in. I bought a good sized bottle of graphite at Ace Hrdwr. When I notice a window beginning to slow or stick, I run the window to the bottom stop and squirt some powdered graphite between the glsss and the channels. Then run the window up and down several times to distribute the graphite. Lasts quite a while before sticking again! I haven't had to replace a window or any parts yet. Good Luck
  • We have two Jeep Libertys in the family - ours is a 2005, our daughter's is a 2004. Both have had the back driver's side rear window regulators break. This means that not only will the window not function for up and down (which we could live with) but that the windows fall down and won't stay up. We had ours fixed in June '09 - Chrysler (obviously knowing there is a problem) covered the part even though the vehicle was out of warranty. That still left us with $220 in labor to replace what Chrysler knows is a junk part, but for which they will not do a recall.

The same window in the same Liberty broke again less than one year later. Chrysler will help to fix again, but subject to a $75 deductible this time. They basically put it to me that they are under no obligation to do anything and subtly implied that we should therefore be grateful for any assistance at all. To my way of thinking, this back-seat window in a childless vechicle gets no use at all and therefore would not be breaking but for a defective part. Talking to others and researching sites like this confirm that others are having problems, supporting the defect theory.

My daughter has hers held up with tape and has opted not to fix it if a deductible is required. She feels that based on our experience, it will just break again so why put out the money. She'll just live with a taped window and a little Chrysler story to tell whenever anyone asks. (By the way, it's not convenient to take a car to the dealership and wait 2 hours for the diagnosis Chrysler requires, then back again for the needed repair - times 2 cars in our case.)

Chrysler, if you're listening, when you know you've got a defective part, a recall is the right thing to do. Too expensive? At least fix the ones that are broken so the customer is not out-of-pocket for anything. Don't want to do that either? We understand - that's what it's come to in Corporate America. That Town and Country looked pretty good as our next vehicle, but knowing how you operate, I won't ever buy another Chrysler.
  • Four times on the right rear and four times on the left rear in the last two years. I just got off the phone with Chrysler corporate and the guy actually said "I haven't heard of people having problems with the window regulators recently."

Are you serious?!?!

Chrysler says it must be a problem with the tech that's installing the part. Yeah, right. Once again, I have to go through the ordeal of taking it to the dealer to have them "investigate" and give a recommendation to Chrysler. Then wait for the "offer" from Chrysler on how much of the cost they will pay.

The only permanent solution I can find is packing tape to hold the window up.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,614
    edited September 2010
    So people have had luck using rubber suction cups (like those to hold NAV systems to the windshield) on the inside of the window. More flexible than tape, since you can actually "open" the window without losing the glass in the door. See Post #127.

250 posts, and busted regulators are new to the Chrysler CSR? Must have just hired on today. :sick:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I did this exact same repair on all 4 windows on my Jeep Liberty and agree that this is the only 100% fix for the window problem. The Regulators are not the part that is faulty, it is the plastic support bracket for the window that is the problem. The Steiger Automotive parts use the existing regulator and replace the plastic junk part with a METAL part. Chrysler designers must be on drugs to put that piece of crap plastic bracket on Jeeps. The procedure is a DIY project if you have basic skill with tools and a bit of patience. Maker sure to follow step by step and go slow on first window. This may take a couple hours. After successfully doing the first window I was able to do the others much quicker. Once you permanently solve the window debacle you can get on with enjoying the Jeep Liberty which is a great heavy duty SUV.
  • OMG!! I was not aware of it> My sister bought a 2006 liberty 2years and transfered it to me after a year..Couple on months ago, the right back side window stopped working( automatic car).. She brought it to some car repair shop and she had to pay like 200 or sum. Now, she moved out of the country and I have the car. Last month, the window fell again and with no money, I went to a car shop, they removed the electronic device and put a wooden stick to hold it since I had no money to pay upfront and was supposed to return the following week to get it fixed. Due to shaking motions while driving the vehicle, I think the wooden stick fell and now the window fell inside again. I was browsing on the internet and saw all your comments. Can anyone tell me if I can go to a dealer and get them to fix it ?There's no more warranty on it .
  • You can call Chrysler's customer service number and open a case. They may or may not pay for it. You must insist that you are aware that this is a known problem & that they are paying to repair it on other people's Liberty's as a "courtesy". Otherwise it cost about $650-$800 to fix at a dealer because they replace the window too.
  • Thaks for the tip..whats chrysler customer service number??
  • I had two repairs done on the same window. First with the original design regulator, it broke again within a year. Then had it and another window repaired with the retrofit design and both are still operating fine.
    Chrysler was very cooperative in assisting with the repairs done at the dealer. The first one cost me $25 and the subsequent repairs were done for $50 each.
  • I have replaced my passenger rear window regulator and motor twice, :sick: and my drivers rear window regulator and motor once. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade. The first time my rear passanger window would not roll up was in July 2008, it cost $325.00 to fix. June 2010 I had to replaced the motor and regulator for the driver rear window for $378.00. Yesterday my rear passenger window would not roll up, I took it to the shop and it is the same problem.......another $325.00. The repair shop told me that the Jeep dealer is actually backordered for the parts needed, they had to call several dealers to find the motor and regulator. :sick:
  • I just got a call from Customer Service who informed me that Chrysler is "extending the warranty" on the window regulators but ONLY for the 2006-2007 models. They are reimbursing me the $150.00 that I was charged for repairs when the window regulator broke this past year and told me that if any of them break again, I will be covered for the length of the warranty. While I appreciate the reimbursement, THEY ARE STILL NOT DOING A RECALL - they will "fix" it for free if it breaks again, which means continued inconvenience for us. Also, the guy who called did not know if the replacement parts they would use (if it breaks again) are the same cheapo plastic parts that break in the first place, nor did he know why only these 2 model years were chosen to be covered. I have a 2003 that also had a window regulator snap on the back passenger side and from the many posts on this website, I would guess this problem is common in ALL of the liberties, not just the 2006-7 models. Anyone else hear anything differently from Chrysler?
  • Smurrow,
    Do you have the phone number or person you talked to? I called Chrysler because the dealership told me what you just posted was in the works. They took my information and told me since there is no recall they will have to submit a request on refunding the $150 I was also charged for repairs. I have a 2007 Liberty. I wish Chrysler would be consistent with what they are doing for this problem. I will post what happens when they get back to me on their answer whether to refund money or not. In the meantime, if you have the info on who you talked to that would be great!
  • We bought our Jeep Liberty on 8/15/2010... Within 6 weeks 2 of the window are broken (will not roll up or down)!... (so far)... ....They have lovely tape all over them at this point.

We originally took to Myrtle Beach Chryster Jeep (Bobby Gale). (At that point the 1st window was stuck at about 40% down)... We left it there... The said it would be the $200.00 deductible under our warranty...

Called an hour later and said no parts til tomorrow... (this was over a month ago).. When they gave it back to us. We didn't notice until we were almost out of the parking lot, but they window was ALL the way down in the door now... Why?? Because this fool took all of the PARTS out of the door so there was nothing to hold it up.... When we asked him to at least get the glass out of the door ... He said nope... SORRY..
    Thanks!! .. You just made is WORSE...

My husband then took it to Tidelands in Pawleys Island SC and the (as a courtesy) got the glass out of the door/applied tape and told us that they knew the parts (1700+ of them for this window) were on back-order and it would be 3 weeks!...

Since then another window went down, and 2 of them still have TAPE all over them... This is the worst customer service!!!.. Be warned... As if the Jeeps are not bad enough, Myrtle Beach Chryster Jeep gets the "award for the WORST customer service ever!!!...
  • albaybalbayb Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    I have a 2006 liberty that has had window issues since about 9mo into owning it. The last repair to the windows (knock on wood) was in July 2009 and I had to pay a $100 deductible since I had the extended warranty. I actually just had Chrysler customer service call me yesterday about reimbursing me. They just confirmed that I did pay the deductible at that service visit and are now supposed to be processing that and mailing a check for $100. I'm not sure who & how much they will reimburse (that was my only window charge) but it's worth calling about.
    The number I called was 1-800-853-1403.
    Hope this helps!
  • I am glad to see I am not the only one with this window problem. I replaced the left rear window regulator ($400) about a year ago. Once again, it broke a couple of days ago and the estimate is for another $400. I have a 2002 Liberty. Nothing but bad luck on this one. At about 88,000 miles, the engine blew and after debating with Jeep for 2 weeks, they agreed to pay half of repairs. My half was $3000. Luckily, I did some research and saw this was a fairly common problem in the 2002 Liberty's. It was going to be between $6000 and $7000. I have only owned Jeeps for past 18 years. They just don't make them like they used to. I guess that is why their warranties are crap now. I think I will check out a Ford this time.
  • I've not had this problem, but my daughter's Liberty CRD has on multiple accounts, I've ordered these kits for the front and back and from doing my daughter's it takes about 1 hour the 1st one and the other is easy. The company is Steiger Performance and this will fix the cheap plastic roller bushing. In all fairness to the designers it was plastic to cut noise, just the plastic used is not up to the task. This should fix your problem forever for the parts in the kit are steel! Good luck.
  • This is an easy fix permanently. I ordered for my daughter's Liberty CRD a kit from Steiger Performance. The kits are rear left and right and front left and right. I performed the broken one first took about an hour, Learning Curve the other working was much faster, and the same went for the working front windows 1st learning the 2nd easy. My Liberty I just did it as a preventative measure. Good luck and you'll be so happy with the results.
  • I got a call on November 1st from Jeep asking to confirm my address so they could mail a reimbursement check for a window repair from February '10.
    At that time they paid for everything but a $100. deductable (which I guess is standard with an extended warranty even though I do not have an extended warranty) the dealer charged me a $90. diagnostic fee (not sure why…. Stevie Wonder could have seen what was wrong) for a grand total of $205.98 out of pocket.

Jeep is reimbursing the entire amount, and stated they will cover all the window regulators for as long as I own the vehicle

The repair that they did required installing new window glass......something about the lift points on the newly engineered parts being different than the original.

It gets very muddied up with just how they are doing the repairs and what parts are being used.

The most important point to bring up when you talk to customer service is that they will not sell you the part that was installed at the factory! They have reengineered the window regulator and discontinued the one they sold you. A company does not do something like this unless they know they have a problem!

Below is the list of parts & part #s for 2006
    ITEM PART
    NUMBER QTY LINE SERIES BODY ENGINE TRANS TRIM DESCRIPTION
    Door, Front, Glass and Regulator
    1 GLASS, Front Door
    55360374AH 1 Up to 2/25/06. With Lift plate,
    Right
    DD09984GTY Collision Replacement Glass
    55360375AH 1 Up to 2/25/06. With Lift plate, Left
    DD09985GTY Collision Replacement Glass
    55360998AA 1 After 2/25/06, Without Lift plate,
    Right
    DD11118GTN Collision Replacement Glass
    55360999AA 1 After 2/25/06, Without Lift plate,
    Left
    DD11119GTN Collision Replacement Glass
    2 WEATHERSTRIP, Glass Channel
    Run
    55360958AA 1 Right
    55360959AA 1 Left
    3 55360959AA 1 SCREW, M6X1.00X15.5, (NOT
    SERVICED)
    4 REGULATOR, Front Door Window
    04589265AA 1 Used After 2/25/06, Without
    Lift plate, Left
    04589268AA 1 Used After 2/25/06, Without
    Lift plate, Right
    55360030AM 1 Used Up to 2/25/2006, Right
    55360031AM 1 Used Up to 2/25/2006
    , Left
    5 06504029 7 BOLT, Hex Flange Head,
    M6x1.0x20, Regulator to Door
    LIBERTY (KJ)
    SERIES LINE BODY ENGINE TRANSMISSION
    H = HIGHLINE
    M = MEDIUM
    P = PREMIUM
    T = JEEP - 2WD
    J = JEEP - 4WD
    U = JEEP - 4WD (RHD)
    74 = SPORT UTILITY 4-DR EKG = 3.7L V6 Engine
    ENR = 2.8L 4 Cyl Turbo Diesel
    Engine
    ENJ = 2.5L 4 Cyl 16V Turbo
    Diesel Engine
    ED1 = 2.4L 4 Cyl DOHC 16v
    SMPI Engine
    DG6 = 4-Spd. Automatic 42RLE
    Transmission
    DGV = 4-Spd. Automatic VLP
    Transmission
    DGQ = 5-Spd Automatic 5-45RFE
    Transmission
    DEH = 6-Speed Manual NSG370
    Transmission
    DDD = 5-Speed HD Manual
    Transmission
    DDK = 5-Speed HD Manual
    Transmission
    AR = use ase required - = Non illustrrated part 2006 KJ

Good luck to all

Best regards

Rich O, N2ZKX
    ">
  • kei48kei48 Posts: 4
    My 2006 Liberty had the side windows fail...three times. Left rear window dropped out of sight in April of 2007, right rear July of 2008, right rear again November 4 of 2010. Called the original dealer, and when told the model and year, the rep said"window problems, huh"? I called the dealer where I now live and told the rep the model and year and asked if he could guess what I was calling about, he said "windows"? I called the Chrysler complaint line and spoke with a really pleasant young woman. She took all of the information, without making a commitment, and said someone would call me within 24 hours with a determination. I'm a bit hopeful since I've found literally thousands of complaints on multiple sites addressing an identical problem and Chrysler accepted responsibility to a couple of people...Chrysler is aware of substandard parts in at least those years...even found service bulletin 23-008-09 issued on April 15, 2009 which alerts the dealers about the chronic problem. I have an appointment with the dealer in the AM, most likely I'll have to pay upfront but hope to get reimbursed from Chrysler. I'll get my money from them, the easy way or the hard way. I'll post the results in the next couple of days.
  • I have the same issue as all of you.. All Window regulators have broke Since I bought the car 3 years ago, and some more than once, and I currenlty have one broke, and have been waiting since JUNE 2010, to get the part..

I went in June, they were on Backorder. Supposed to be in, in August.. I went in August, supposed to be in, in Sept. I just called today, and now they say, there is no "Promise delivery date" from chrysler. Which means it could be another year that I am driving around with tape on my window.. Does Duct tape hold up in the winter?

I am in Rochester, NY, and have called all the Chrysler dealers here, and not one shop has one.

Anyone have any news of a delivery date for these? I hope they are new design!
    When I posted my complaint yesterday, I made a mistake. My wife corrected me and said it was the SAME window all three times. I took the jeep to the local dealer at 7:45 this morning and worked with a really pleasant and helpful service rep. Within an hour they had diagnosed the problem as being a broken cable of some type. They had to get the part from across town and said it would be ready in the afternoon...$150 for the part, $120 labor.

The Chrysler rep called me shortly after and we had a spirited discussion and he said he would get back to me after talking with the service manager. He called back a couple of hours later and said that Chrysler would pay the bill, and, they were going to replace the whole assembly, window and all, just to be certain this didn't happen a fourth time.

He said they dealt with these issues on a case by case basis and, if it happened to one of the other windows, they would make a determination at that time. He didn't acknowledge that he was aware of a flood of window problems, just that Chrysler would pay for this one. I'm happy until it happens again.
  • Just got off the phone with customer service, who by the way was very nice but could not give me an answer. Same story just another person. Took my liberty in to get the right passenger side window fixed and $450 later it was fixed. I live in Northern Wisconsin and today both my driver and rear passenger windows had the same issue, and it is cold out. After everything I have heard about jeep from the thousands of Jeep owners saying the same thing and nothing being done with it I'm just done. I'm not going to put money into a worthless product so that it will just break again. I'm tired of the excuses, I'm tired of all the lies. If Jeep cannot fix the issue or help me fix it monetarily then I'm just done. Word of mouth goes a long ways in this world. Everyone I know and as often as I can I will say negative things about Jeep. Doesn't even matter if I wasted 10 minutes to write this short book, nothing will be done. This is why I'm taking it upon myself to sell my piece of junk Jeep liberty and get a real vehicle. Maybe if jeep helped its customers instead of selling them crap and not taking the blame for it they wouldn't post such huge negative numbers in the third quarter. YES I HAD ONE JEEP AND IT WILL BE MY ONLY JEEP, THANKS JEEP FOR NOTHING.

If jeep is listening which i'm sure they are not, I would like a $1,000 check to a least pay for some of your junk product. address is 2217 samantha st De Pere Wisconsin 54115.
  • Hi there,
    Are you calling Crystler customer service before you go to the dealership to get the windows fixed? Crystler is giving the dealerships reference numbers so you will not be charged if the problem is actually a faulty window regulator. Also, they are in the process of refunding me money I've paid in the past as an extended warranty co-pay. I know it's still a hassle having to make the phone call but a ten minute phone call is definately worth the $450 per window they are charging you.
    The number I used to Crystler is 1-800-992-1997.
    Good Luck!
    Posts 285 and 286 are mine.

I was on my way to get my Jeep Liberty, took parts of six days to get the parts to the dealer, and the Service Advisor called to give me a "you won't believe it". Appears the technician was pulling the jeep out of the shop after replacing the rear right window when the front right window disappeared into the track...same as the one they just repaired.

I could tell the SA, who has been really great, would rather have had a tooth pulled than make that call with the problems and the delay in getting the parts.

He's going to talk with Chrysler in the morning and get back to me.

I'll post the results Thursday.

For joevolk, don't give up. When you call the customer service number, you just need to get high enough up the ladder to get results. The person who answers the phone isn't that person. Just remind the rep of all the problems you have found on your Inet searches, plus, they don't want any complaints going to the NTSB as described earlier in these posts.