Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Just bought a GC SXT with 25L package, leather, dual screens, swivel n go, power everything for $27,937. Sticker was $32,845.00. Wish I had found this part of the site 8 hours ago. Still, less than Edmund's TMV. I've seen a couple of posts regarding loyalty money. I have a 2000 Chrysler G Voyager. Dealer said they weren't giving loyalty money anymore. Did I just get hosed, and do I have any recourse with Chrysler if I can prove that I currently own that Voyager?
  • jpappasjpappas Posts: 16
    You got toally hosed on that and I would call both the dealer and Chrysler customer service and raise a big stink. Thats absolutely ridiculous that they wouldnt give you that, its a nationally advertised program.
  • Actually, I did call Chrysler afer I saw the posts on the message board here. I was told that the only cash that they were offering was the $2500 rebate - no loyalty cash. It seems to change from month to month. Not only that, but come to find out, the Sirius backseat TV and UConnect that the salesperson told me were in the car were not. It has the dual screens (and dual dvd players - ridiculously cool, but also just plain old ridiculous - remember when you had to make faces at the other cars through the back window of the station wagon for entertainment?). They are putting the backseat tv in for free, but want me to pay cost for the Uconnect. I'm actually sort of blaming Chrysler for this. If you go to the dodge web-site to build an SXT GC and highlight the details for the L package it sure as hell looks like Uconnect is supposed to come with it. Although I suppose the salesperson should have been up on this regardless. Anyone have thoughts on this?
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    If you go to the dodge web-site to build an SXT GC and highlight the details for the L package it sure as hell looks like Uconnect is supposed to come with it.

I just looked at the details and that description does appear to be a bit confusing.

If you select the L package and continue to build it the Options and Accessories page does list UConnect as a $360 available option under Sound System Components.

The Sirius backseat TV is an additional $495 option. It's great that they're adding it for free. Did they say anything about the free 1-year subscription that normally comes with the package?
  • I talked to the sales manager today, and he said he believed it would come with the 1 year subscription. After cooling down and thinking about it, I do think I got a pretty fair price. I had been looking at the lady who posted here and got hers for $25 and change thinking I got ripped off, but she must have had some pretty special circumstances. So basically what I'll have is a GTC 3.8 SXT with the 25L package, leather, power everything (except the third row seats), dual DVD players and screens (did I mention how cool that is?:-), Swivel n go, 3 zone temp (again - love the way the temp control works), and sirius backseat tv - for $27,937 +ttl. Not thrilled about the 399 deal prep fees that got added, but they absolutely refused to budge (maybe I didn't try hard enough?). Anyway the $27,937 was the invoice price (unless they can doctor the invoice), and the backseat tv is thrown in for free - which I guess would make the whole thing a few hundred under invoice.
  • Spoke with the sales manager re: the confusion on the website with the 25L package details and uconnect. Said he had spoken with his district manager and they found several errors on the dodge web-site (not the least of which is the misleading way the details of 25L make it look like the package contains Uconnect. They're supposed to be getting with the regional manager for Chrysler at the end of the week (what are the odds they'll throw in a uconnect to my vehicle? - not holding my breath:-) I will say that they seem to be decent guys, and I'm definitely feeling better about the deal I got - so much so that my hubby is looking for a journey from the same dealership.
  • heelntoeheelntoe Posts: 21
    I have been following the Odyssey forum for months as we'd pretty much decided on replace her leased Nissan Murano with a purchased minivan. Nearly every review ranks the Odyssey better than the GC. I've nothing against Mopar; I've owned a 1999 Dakota and 2003 Ram. It just seemed like the Hondas were the class of the field.

Before heading out this week to get really serious, I decided to check incentives one more time. With $4500 on the GC, it was back in the game but I wanted the 4.0L. These were impossible to find on the lot a few months ago but availability is better now. We drove an SXT with the 28N and *everything* but the sunroof (don't want anyways, especially at $895) and the engine block heater (don't need here in western PA). I also told the dealer about the add'l $400 cash listed on Edmunds.com but could find no reference on Dodge's site.

The first offer from the dealer was $31,703 which was their invoice after advertising + 1% - $4500. A pretty honest opening round on their part, I think. By contrast, the Honda dealer came in at $29,700 for an EX-L w/RES, which was equipped with far, far less. This despite my indicating to him that other buyers are having no problem getting into the 28s and that's what I expected to pay. We told the Dodge dealer we were going to drive the Honda. They were very low-pressure and indicated that, if after driving the Honda, we decided we wanted the GC and called them that day, they would either find the other $400 for us from Dodge or eat it themselves.

At the end of the day, for a difference of about $30 a month for the GC, we thought it had a lot more value than the Odyssey. We also got the trailer tow which would have been an add-on even on the loaded Odyssey Touring model. I called the dealer back and said we'd take the GC if they could do $920 on the 6 year/70K Chrysler Maximum Care warranty. I know these things are usually a sucker's bet but I was concered about all the power sliders, liftgates, third row, nav, etc. I'd found the $920 number on one of the discounter web sites.

So... Long story short, we bought the GC SXT with 28N and everything but the sunroof and engine block heater for $31,303 (MSRP was $38,950) and paid $920 for the 6/70 Maximum Care warranty. Combined with the incentives, you could also do 3.9% for 60 months or 4.9% for 72. I don't like to stretch out payments to six years but... at 4.9%, I figured I'd keep the payments low and pay it off early, as I did my 03 Ram in 3.5 years that I'd financed for 5 years.

We were 99% decided on the Odyssey before I checked the incentives one last time for heading out to test drive. I'm glad I did. When we told the Honda dealer we were going to go GC, all of a sudden, he's dropping to invoice and throwing in the trailer tow package. I still think for $3000 more, we got more than $3000 worth of van. Playing with the MyGIG was worth hours of entertainment value alone last night!
  • marc35marc35 Posts: 4
    I just drove home a new 2008 Grand Caravan SXT purchased in Folsom, California (Folsom Lake Dodge). The van was manufactured in March, 2008, and I responded to an internet sale advertisement (one day only). There were two vans for the same price. I chose the sandstone. The other van was silver. The window sticker states that the base price was $27,140. The sandstone paint was $150, customer preferred package 25k (window shades, premium floor console, light shale seats) was $495, destination charge states $770. Total MSRP was listed as $28,555.

We paid 22,070.63 OTD.
    It breaks down as follows:
    Cash price $24,495
    Document fee $55.00
    Sales Tax $1779.88
    Total Cash price $26,329.88
    License/registration $240.75
    Subtotal $26,570.63
    $2500 rebate
    $2000 rebate for financing through Chrysler at 7.41 percent, 72 months (They said there was no prepayment penalty, so this seemed like a no brainer).
    OTD $22,070.63

It was hard to decide between the silver and the sandstone. The reason we preferred the sandstone was that it had a beautiful interior with light shale seats, (off white seats, with black carpet). The silver was also attractive with matching carpet and upholstery (dark gray).

We paid the advertised price, which we thought was a fair price. We tried to bargain a lower price but only briefly because we were satisfied with the advertised price. It may have been discounted because the cars had not sold in 4 or 5 months on the lot, and they were motivated to move some inventory.

I didn’t buy the supplemental warranty or the prepaid maintenance that was offered to us, but may buy a bumper to bumper warranty later from someone else. I’ll look through this forum for information regarding the btb warranty.

This is the first new car I have ever bought in 38 years of driving! Everyone in the family seems to approve of this purchase, even the teenagers! My 8 year old was disappointed that it didn't have a DVD, but still likes the van. I hope to keep it for a long time.
    Correction: the $495 was not for the 25k package. It was for the "Family Value Group."
  • abutcherabutcher Posts: 33
    Hello,
    Sorry for reposting, I put this by mistake in the Chrysler forum first.

On August 4th I bought a new 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 25K, black, with the options:

Dual Screen DVD Entertainment System
    Power Liftgate

for $23,400.00 out the door. I also bought the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty with a $100 deductible for an additional $1,650.00 and financing for 5 yrs at 4.9%. I am not a current Chrysler owner or an employee. I bought it at Szott Dodge in Highland, Michigan. My salesperson was very courteous.

Anthony
  • abairabair Posts: 4
    Can someone fill me in on what the Friends discount is??

I am looking at and 08 GC that is listed at 30,495 but is the older model (lower base price) has the mygig, family value pack.
    I was quoted 27,500 before the $4500 in rebates.
    Do you think I should ask for more off?
    What was your MSRP? How did you talk them down? THis is the first time I have bought a car so I need some advice on negoiating.
    Can someone fill me in on what the Friends discount is??

The Friends discount is available through any Chrysler employee. Each employee is permitted to give out up to 6 discount control numbers per year.

The Friends price is approximately 1% below invoice in addition to any rebates or other price incentives. With the current state of the economy you might be able to negotiate an even lower price than that.

Read this for more information: Chrysler Discounts
    Tedebear,

You said, "you might be able to negotiate an even lower price than that." Do you mean you can get a lower price without using the Friends discount, or do you mean you might be able to actually use the Friends discount to get an even lower price?
    Do you know what sales tax and fees you were charged?
    Do you mean you can get a lower price without using the Friends discount, or do you mean you might be able to actually use the Friends discount to get an even lower price?

I mean that a buyer can possibly do better than the Friends discount price on their own without it. I've been reading some messages from new owners on Edmunds and the price they negotiated with the dealer is sometimes way less than the Friends price would be.

The Friends price is set at a specific amount on the invoice price sheet of each vehicle. Ask to see the invoice and look for the PP (Preferred Pricing) code on the sheet. That's the Friends price before any rebates or other price incentives.
    The sticker is $30,510. Mine was built in May so the base sticker was $27,140 lower than some others on the lot that were $27,730. They must have changed it at some point.

We have a dealer out that advertises in the paper an SXT for $18,997 for employees, plus tax title, doc, and dest, milt discount, etc. I took that price, added in $1800 for the Entertainemnt 2 system (it stickers for $2,200). I added my 6% tax to that, $770 for dest, $250 for doc. I walked in, found a salesman and said, sell me an SXT for $23,000.

He wrote he offer on a paper, had me sign it and he presented to the manager. The manager came out with the salesman and we started negotiating. He came back with 24,700. I said no and he left and then came back. He said 23,600, I said 23,200, he said 23,500, I came up to 23,400. he came back with 23,450 and a $50 gas card. Mind you I had my wife with me and I didn’t want to have to drag her to another dealer, so I like to think I came up from my original offer for her.

All you have to do is walk out, tell them you will try at another dealer. I also didn’t mind coming up to the 23, 450 because it came with the power liftgate which stickers at $400. I am not an employee, militatry person, or current leasee or owner. They have vans that they need to sell.

Anthony
  • buntijbuntij Posts: 2
    I think I just got a really good deal. I was at the Serramonte (Bay Area) last night and was looking for a used van. The sales guy shows me a blue '08 SE they had inside for the following:

MSRP: $22,520
    "Sale" Price: $18,499
    Rebate: $2,000
    Special Rebate: $2,000 (if you finance through Chrysler)
    Military discount: $500

Final Price: $13,999

Well, I didn't qualify for the military discount, but I bought the van for $14,499 and drove it home last night. This was one of those "one available at this price" deals they run in the papers. Sure it is lacking options (I think it had a roof rack and mats only above std. equipt) but geeze, it was as inexpensive as most of the used vans I was looking at. I also got the lifetime wrap for $1,750.

and there were no other "gotchas" involved in the deal. Financed about half through chy at 5.99 interest.

what do you think?
    Need some help.
    I was trying to get a Black 08 that is the older model (lower base price) with the Mygig (w./o sirius), console and heated seats.
    THe sticker was $30,500 and he quoted us at $27,500 and I was thinking we could get it for $25,000 since it has been on the lot forever and he quoted it about the same as the standard vehicle.

Also he quoted the standard SXT with only the power liftgate at $27,200

He didn't want to budge on that price and asked what I wanted to get to after the rebates. The TMV on the standard one is $26,060 so I know those offers are too high.

Why won't he go down and what do I need to do next/counter offer?
    Thanks for the help.
    Sounds like he won't go down because he knows you want it? Just walk away and go somewhere else. Tell him this is what I'll pay and you wanted to give him the opportunity. If he won't to sell it to you at that tell him you'll try negotiating at another dealer. If he can sell it at his price to someone else, let him.

I bought mine with a sticker of $30,510, (SXT 25K with dual screen DVD and power liftgate) out the door for $23,400. And now the same dealer is advertising in the paper base SXT's for $17,600 plus tax, title and doc (approx $1500 less than what I paid 2 weeks ago).

Also, you can negotiate the lifetime service contract, mine was $1,600.
    Abutcher,
    Was the $23,400 after the rebates or before? That is a heck of a deal.
    Any suggestions what my counter offer should be or what I should say to let him know I will go somewhere else?

this is the 1st car I have bought myself so I am new to all this.
    Thanks!

Could I use a newpaper ad as a negoiating tool? Are those prices in there usually after the rebates right?
    Yes, it was after all rebates and dealer discounts. It was out the door, no other charges.

Make it quick, just go there and say this is what I'll pay, out the door. Write it down on a piece of paper if you have to, the sales person should understand. If they come back and say we'll sell it to you for X amount more, and if its too much, just say thank you and leave. Rememebr, you are buying their car, and their are a lot of comanies out there wanting your money.
  • Hello everyone.

Right now I am looking at buying an 08 GC. Right now a dealership in the area is offering them for $13,998 if you finance through Chrysler or $15,998 if you don't. It is the SE baseline model with power windows, doors etc and 2nd and 3rd row stow and go but that is about it. He said they are offering up to 50% off on all of their models. Another dealer I talked to, I asked if they could match that price and he told me there is no way that they are selling it for that low without a catch. He called them as a customer, supposedly, and asked for details on it. Supposedly when he pushed he was told that the price was with $2999 trade or cash equity and it was before tax, tag, dealer fees of course. When I called them again and hounded and hounded they still told me that I didn't need a trade to get the deal and that there was no catch. What do you guys think? Is it too good to be true. Are they going to do something in the backend to try and raise the price?

The "straightforward" guy quoted me $17 for one, which falls in line with Edmunds TMV price. Right now I am trying to get him to match it or to see if they recognize the employer discount from either of the companies hubby works for.

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a friends and family code? That would be really really helpful to us. We would much rather be able to get the new one under warranty then take the chance on any of the used 07's I have seen for 12k. I have 2 small kids and am so afraid to get a shoddy transmition in the middle of nowhere.
  • buntijbuntij Posts: 2
    It is not impossible, see my post above. I bought the same van for $500 more than you state (because I did not qualify for the armed forces discount). The dealer (Seramonte Chrysler) has another ad in todays paper for the same thing (but only one available at that price).

I was pre approved for other financing but went ahead and used the chrysler finaning to get the additional 2k discount. Of course fees, taxes etc were additional and the dealer offered the usual extras (security system, window etcing, etc etc) but didn't push hard. So the price was really the price offered (almost 40% off). I was thrilled, best new car deal of my life. The only option I really miss is power mirrors.

I will say that they also offered the "wrap" warrantee from Chrysler for $2,200. This gives you "bumper to bumper" coverage ($100 deductable) for AS LONG AS YOU OWN THE CAR. I've never believed in extended coverage, but I negotiated the price down to $1,750 and thought it would be worth it for the piece of mind. Later, I saw this coverage offered by a different dealer online to anyone for something like $1400 or $1500. You might want to google that and print it out to help negotiate the charge down if you decide to go with this.

My deal, at least, was real. Go to the dealer, have them check your credit and write up the deal. Look over the contract carefully, you shouldn't see any extras. If you do, just get up and leave. Nothing is final unless you sign the contract that lists every expense.

good luck!
  • jrujru Posts: 3
    I just bought a 08 SXT on Ebay w/2500mi it will be delivered in a week or so. I noticed that there was no mounts for a front license plate?

So I started looking online at other 08SXT and they all seem to have to front license plate mount or even screw holes to mount the carrier or plate.

Then I started looking for a front bracket for a 08 and could come up with nothing?

Without the van being here to look at its hard to tell, could sombody put my mind as ease?

TIA,
    J
  • I would say that if it is coming from a state that does not require a front plate then there will not be one. Your local Dodge dealer can probably order one for you through their parts department.
  • Anyone know how to find "aged inventory" for any 08 vehicles invoice prior to Sept. 07? I believe there is a $1000 incentives for these vehilcles.
  • jrujru Posts: 3
    Ok after calling about 6 dealers in the Chicago area I have got all the same replies. Dodge quit making the front license plate mount in 06!

If you look at my 08s front bumper you can see two little dimples where the license plate screws would go. The parts guys told me just drill there and use machine schews.

My problem is that the front plastic is pretty flimsy on the 08 SXT but there is somthing hard behind itI know its metal but on the otherhand it possibly could have have a radiator behind that or who knows what. On top of the plate I also have the tollway transponder mounted on the front plate bolts.

So has anyone who owns a 08 SXT ever mounted (drilled those holes) for the front license plate? If so what did you do and what bolts or screws did you use.

One last question, as I'm new to this site how do I post a new discussion?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,863
    One last question, as I'm new to this site how do I post a new discussion?

In some sections of the forums, members can't post new discussions. (In Prices Paid, for example).

In other areas, if you are browsing a list for a relevant discussion, and can't find one that fits, there will be an option to: Add a Discussion.

If you don't see that option, then you can't add a new discussion thread in that area. Here is an example of where you can add a discussion.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of a 2007 or 2008 minivan, SUV or crossover that is loaded with two or more high-tech features such as a navigation system, DVD player, heated mirrors, parking sensors, rear view cameras, iPod connectivity, radio data system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, tire pressure monitoring, universal garage door opener, Sync, etc. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your vehicle.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

This discussion has been closed.