Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Scheduled maintenance costs

2»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    At our shop in NNJ where we work on subies part time, we usually suggest 1500 for the first oil change and then every 3k-5k after that. Most of our customers switch over to Amsoil after 10k miles so we do 7k changes after 10k miles.

Hope this helps.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Bob,
    You are a subaru owner, right? I am almost 36K miles and curious if I should fork out the money to get this extended warranty subaru keeps sending me. Up to 60K or 80K (3.5 years). And then there is this Gold Plus warranty thru the dealer. Any thoughts??
    Thanks, Acunurse
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    Well, it's "insurance." I did get the extended warranty on my new WRX, but we did not get it on our Forester or Outback Sport.

My thinking here was the WRX, because it's a performance model, it might need it down the road—even though I drive it (mostly) like a little old lady. As to the other models, we chose not to get it, but I guess anything can happen... Our Forester has well over 100K on it, and our Outback Sport has over 40K on it, and so far so good. We've had a few things go on the Forester, but that has happened recently. So a 100K extended warranty would not have helped in our case, as these problems arose after that mileage point.

Having it is certainly some peace of mind. I guess you need to ask yourself as to how long am I going to keep the car? If you think you're going to keep it for a long while, or put a lot of miles on it, it may be worth it.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wow, the toaster is over 100k already?
    114K, I think.

Bob
    :surprise:

2002, right?
    No, 2001.

Bob
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    You're catching up to me (190K on my 2001 Forester).

Len
    Is it ever parked or do 3 people share the car (one day shift, one evening shift, one graveyard shift)? :D
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Ha ha, juice! No, actually, I used to have a daily 130 mile round trip commute, so I really piled on the miles. Luckily, it was 90% highway, so they were relatively easy miles. Nowadays, being semi-retired, the car and I are taking it much easier!

Len
2»