Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicles for Shorter Drivers

Comments

• md_techmd_tech Posts: 84
    When I first got rid of my car... I looked at every Daytonna driving bye,but unfortunatly it wasen't her.. After giving up your Suzuki Samurai what vehicle did you buy???? Whenever I would see those trucks going down the road around corners I would always worry that they would tip over... Your right it dosen't seem like it's heavy enough to handle turns or fast rates of speed,but they look nice...

Kristina/co host Our Turn
    I'm glad to here your RAV4 is doing so well. I see those little trucks all the time cruising down the street... They look small,but there not as small as they appear.. I was also looking into the Exterra ,although,it seems to be a little to large for my mom but just right for myself.....

• rav8rav8 Posts: 6
    The xterra was ok. It just seems kind of bulky plus I didn't care for the roof rack.(you can get a removable one for the Rav 4) For me the roof rack makes it harder to wash plus I was told they cut down your milage some.But everyone needs to choose the best one for their needs. I'm still sold on my little ole Rav. Happy Motoring!
    With the Xterra you actually have to remove the roof rack bolts,which can be annoying....It's not that hard to do,but I barley want to wash my car let alone remove a rack...

• fjw2fjw2 Posts: 15
    I traded it in to a '99 Oldsmobible Alero. It was to be our 25th wedding anniversary gift to each other, but we're fighting over the new BMW M Roadster now. So, we take turns each week.

A friend and I took the Suzuki for a short day trip to the beach one day, and I was having much to much fun there, forgetting that I have to meet the family for my birthday dinner/show. My friend was rushing us back to the city, driving the maximum speed of 95mph, in the wind and rain. Luckily we didn't got pulled over for speeding, and we made it back on time.

I've seen several vehicles tipped over or heard friends tell stories about their: Jeep Cherokee, Chevy Blazer, F250, Jeep Wrangle or any truck or cars, but then again, it's really HOW you drive the car or HOW IT drives YOU. I'm here to prove that I could have kept it longer, if it weren't for those big heavy new vehicles on the road!
    I could SEE so much better that ANY CARS I'VE EVER DRIVEN.
    I'm glad to hear you had such a good time with your Suzuki...That reminds me of the song "Happy Trails" I think I heard it off of a car ad. Anyway, so for your 25th did you buy the BMW Roadster??? Or where you thinking about it???? I've seen those little cars on the road the style alone would make me want one. The only thing stopping me is the insurance,price tag, and no room for a car seat...

No, I sold my Suzuki to the dealer and bought the Alero. Husband always whining about Mazda Miata.
    Even after I talked him out of it, by buying a Nissan Pathfinder, he continues to whine. (Midlife crises thing, mine was the Suzuki).

Once I spotted the BMW Roadster, two weeks later we were trading in the PF to a new M Roadster, the SAME YEAR we got the Alero.

So, it's double 25th anniversary present for both of us! Luckily, our kids now have their own cars.
    The oldest, with his own money, he traded the car we gave him: '86 Nissan Stanza to a '00 Subaru Outback Impreza. The youngest one, a '00 Dodge Neon, which we sold the '86 Buick and paid the Neon in full for his Christmas/birthday/graduation present.
    I'm glad after looking around you found the car that made both of you happy.. What do you like best about your BMW???? I hope when my little one grows up I'll be able to go out shopping for something a little sportier... I have a long way to go!!!!!!!!!

• kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,264
    I'm 5'3 and the best visibility and seat comfort that I found was in Subaru Loyale. Other Soobs are also good for short people, especially those with height-adjustable seats.
  • vimvim Posts: 1
    At 5'3", I'm looking for a car with the adjustable brake and accelerator pedals, not just adjustable seats and steering wheels. Are there any other cars out there with these options besides the Mercury?
    I like the way it drives, the shape, the fit, the way it goes when you're changing lanes, it's like a toy, it's hard to explain, it's so much fun and enjoyable driving long distance. You'll just have to test drive it so you'll UNDERSTAND where I'm coming from. It's just a well behaved, well built quality car all around.

I'm thinking of leasing an M5 for winter driving with an option to buy. But others told me, it will cost more in the future.
    I'm glad your happy with your BMW Roadster... Hopefully that toy dosen't cause you to receive to many speeding tickets... I would't lease a M5 for the winter months it does end up costing more in the future!!!! Leasing vehicles even with the option to buy still ends up costing more from all the hidden fees tacked on...

• lakroclakroc Posts: 2
    I just noticed one of your responses above. You are right - just looking at the BMW Roadster makes you want to own one. Although I did not purchase the M Roadster (there were none in my area to be had :( ), I did purchase a Z3, the cheaper version of the car. No, the car is in not really cheap, but you mentioned insurance. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the insurance on my brand new car is going to cost me a grand total of $100 more per year than my current 5 year old Mazda. Believe it or not, I was originally looking into an SUV but was appalled to discover that those vehicles are every bit as expensive to purchase as the Z3 and would have raised my insurance by over $800 per year. So, I decided to "save" a few dollars and get the Z3!
    I would have thought the insurance would higher on your Z3... Insurance companies are funny!!! Well I'm glad your getting the car you wanted and saving a few dollars in the long run....Are you still waiting for your car to come in????

Krsitna/co host Our Turn
    I'm glad there's Edmunds.com, I just finished reading about the leasing posts frozen there, and it's helping me decide the best thing to do.
    I even e-mailed them to my husband so to save my breath, he can just read them himself.

I have another friend who have leased before, and she told me exactly what you just posted.

My husband's parents leased for many years, and didn't have much as far as ownership when they're done.

It's great to have such a board as the women's turn!
    I've just seem to many people fall into the leasing mombo jumbo. Don't get me wrong it works for some people,but in the long run the dealer makes the money and at the end of your lease you still are out looking for a vehicle...

• would a PT Cruiser be practical for me?
    Thank You for all the good information.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    I think the pt cruiser's dimensions could accommodate someone your height. I haven't actual driven one yet, but I did go along for the test ride in one with our local newspaper (Orlando Sentinel) reviewer.

I also sat in the driver's seat and played around with the controls, so I kinda got a feel for what it's like. My impressions: comfortable, good handling, with enough pep for most people.

Size wise: I would consider it to be on the petite side, especially comparing it to a van or wagon. But it's actually much more functional than many vehicles that are a lot larger.

Btw, if you put the words "pt cruiser" into the Topic Search feature on the left side of the page, you'll find a number of PT Cruiser topics throughout Town Hall. Be sure to check out the ones in the sedans and van conference.

Hope you'll return to let us know what you decide.
    Good luck and happy shopping. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Town Hall Roving Host
  • wklenhawklenha Posts: 9
    bea: Well assuming PT Cruiser was spelled correctly in the topic title, that will work. Misspellings in topic titles is a very sore subject with me, (I fought getting 'Expedtion Reliability' spelled correctly for a year!)

But I digress:

I normally would agree on the leasing conversation, but it so happens I find myself in a position where it actually makes more fiscal sense for us to lease than buy.

The situation is: My husband and I have worked together for 10 years. We carpool to work or else he drives the company truck. He was recently offered a new job at much better money that also includes a $500 /month car allowance. We have to rapidly acquire a new vehicle. We have decided to take a 3-year lease on a Nissan Altima because:
    a. The payments are lower
    b. We don't want to spend a lot of money on a car right now.
    c. We don't have to put many miles on it.
    d. We don't want to lay out alot of cash on a new car.

Plus, Nissan is offering some good incentives on the Altima.

At the end of the 3-year lease we will be in a much better financial position, at which time we hopefully can buy a much nicer car.

I think the Altima is a great little car for the money. Nissan is the step-child of the compact car division always playing second fiddle to Honda and Toyota. But I'm pretty impressed with the Altima.

I'm really on the fence about the PT. I thought it looked much better in all the promo pictures last year than the real thing did. Plus you are not going to get any kind of deal on one anywhere, assuming you can even get one. I'm getting my Altima for $1600 BELOW dealer invoice.
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    How'd ya get THAT deal?

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
This discussion has been closed.