Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicles for Shorter Drivers

Comments

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Were pretty well known for being the WORST-handling SUV, I think in the history of the world.
  • Did you have one, Lancer? I loved mine, just wore it out is all. I also came across another poster that was fond of his as well. No SUV is meant for drag racing, after all. Comparatively speaking, my 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer was a fine vehicle...very reliable and got me everywhere I needed to go, no matter what the weather said. And it was pretty solid, too. I had no handling problems with it, and I'm finding the same with the Blazer, 'cept I wish it turned a little tighter. Just takes a little gettin' used to, I guess.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    A friend of mine loves her Bronco, and it's still going strong. As you say, don't drive an SUV like a race car. I rarely drive my Wrangler over 65 and never over 70. It does great at slower speeds.
  • barb67barb67 Posts: 1
    From a new member and first time poster:I Have been driving a Chrysler Fifth Avenue since 1993(90,000 miles). (Yes, I am an old broad and I like leather, too) Vision great but am sitting too close to the air bag for safety. Now it's New Car ($25,000+)time but when I sit in any of the new wagons or SUVs, the head restraint is almost over my head blocking my vision. Also,if there are head restraints on the rear seats, my rear view is blocked also. Can these be removed(rear)or modified (drivers seat?)
    Different subject: Is there a site to compare average repair costs on makes and models and warranties? (Getting old and close to retirement.)Thanks, will appreciate any thoughts you have.
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    I'm 5-2 and have been driving an Accord for over 10 years. I think I'll get the Lexus ES next; the seat belt fit better than the GS300 (of course, there's the price difference, too). I just got used to all the glass in a regular sedan--could see everywhere. Test drove the Lexus Sportcross and the blind spot view was completely blocked!
  • suzzannsuzzann Posts: 56
    This topic showed a post from January 16. What happened to it?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Any change that occurs in these discussions will change the date at the top. It does not have to necessarily be a message, but could also be due to changes in the Title, Helpful Links, Additional Resources, and other areas. Sorry for the confusion. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • lois9lois9 Posts: 1
    I need a car or SUV type to transport Mom, Dad and a wheel chair under $35k. Passenger type cars are too low for elderly to get in & out. My Montero is too high even with a stool. Need large back seat entry with angled hand grips. Older folks can not reach overhead easily.
    I like a back end tall enough to stand up the wheelchair.2002 honda crv was close but noisy & the dealer said I could NOT add hand grips to help with entry. Sub.Outback is close wheelchair has to be laid down & I would like to sit higher. Any suggestions?
    Okay, my first thought: it sounds to me like you could use a minivan. Many of them have those side hand grips, easy middle row passenger entry; and with the 3rd row seats removed, there'd be plenty of space for a wheel chair (standing up).

If your totally opposed to a minivan, then I'd suggest looking at some of the new crossovers suvs on the market such as the Buick Rendezvous or Toyota Highlander. Both of these do have pretty low ground clearance (6.9 inches) for suvs, and a decent amount of cargo space. Someone else may have another suggestion.

While you're waiting for more feedback, you should try using Edmunds' Advanced vehicle search for other ideas. Good luck and please keep us posted on what you decide. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Starting next week, we're going to start the process of moving discussions in the Women's Auto Center over to other more active message boards.

This discussion will soon be moved over to our Smart Shopper Message Board. We look forward to continuing this subject over there. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • suzzannsuzzann Posts: 56
    Having a board dedicated to women was nice, I'm going to miss it.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    But it should still be OK since we'll still be talking about cars for us "height challenged" ladies...
  • Look at a Windstar. It'll have all the room you need, plus power adjustable pedals--moving you further away from the stearing wheel.

In a sedan, the Taurus and Crown Victoria offer power adjustable pedals. These are designed just for shorter people to keep them from having to sit right up on the wheel to reach the pedals.
  • mikeintnmikeintn Posts: 39
    My wife is 5' tall and loves her Chrysler Town and Country MiniVan. The seats work well for her and she is able to see the road well.

She drives the van because she is the ultimate mom, driving carpool, taking kids to practices, church, etc. The van was a necessity. We drove all of them on the market and the TC was the winner for her needs. We've had it for two years and it has been great.

I try to get her to drive my Acura MDX but she always wants to drive her "mama van". So I guess it depends on your needs.

Good luck,

MIKEinTN
  • You are right. We bought a Chysler van last year and we love it like you wife loves hers. I think the Chrysler vans offer adjustable pedals new for 2002. Something to consider when your previous generation 2000 is up for replacement!
  • Have any 5'0" to 5'1" people tried the 2002 Camry? What did you think of that one? I haven't heard it mentioned yet.
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    My wife is 5' 3" and I am 6'. We have a 4-cyl Honda Accord EX with a power adjustable seat. I lower it all the way, she raises it all the way, and we both are very comfortable driving the car.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    ...is 5'1" @ 107 lbs. She recently purchased a Chevrolet Impala and is quite comfortable with it. Her previous vehicle was a 1991 Mercury Tracer.
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    I test drove the Matrix in which you sit a little higher than normal but not as high as a SUV type of car. It might be easier for an elderly person to get in & out off. Don't know if a wheelchair would fit, but it is a very roomy car, with a nice smooth ride. I tested the XR, which is the middle model.
  • risa5risa5 Posts: 23
    I'm 5'0" and I drive an Elantra GT now; however, I can say from experience that a Dodge Caravan and the other Chrysler minivans are very good for petite women. My parents owned one for many years and I usually got driving duty. You get an excellent view of the road from all sides. Ours didn't have the adjustable pedals, but I still had no problems reaching the pedals. The worst vehicles for petite women have got to be those tall SUVs. My brother has a Dodge Durango and, even with footboards, it's really awkward to get in and out.
This discussion has been closed.