Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Camry Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    WHAT SHOULD I DO? I have 1 week and 500 miles left on my Platinum warranty. My 02 4cylinder Camry has 74.5K miles. It has had all its service. It had a head gasket job w/in the last year at the dealer under warranty (was blowing smoke). On a few occasions over the past few weeks I swear I get a wiff of anti freeze smell in the garage. I had and oil change not too long ago. I popped the hood and saw nothing unusual....recovery tank was at appropriate mark. The lid may have been loose---not sure. No signs of a leak anywhere? Should call the dealer? Bring it in? What will they check? What will it cost to check it? How long do the water pumps last? Whats a water pump job run out of warranty? Opinions please!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Did they replace the water pump, when you had the head off for the head gasket..... or is still the original pump?
    They replaced the head gasket under platinum warranty a year ago...no mention of water pump change. I see no leaks in my garage. Still original pump as far as I know. My timing belt was squeaky and replace under original warranty at around 30K. My existing belt should be good for another 15K or so...almost 2 years they way I drive. Just thought I'd mention that.
    It probably wasn't your timing belt that was changed at 30K (which isn't visible and is inside the engine), I'm guessing it was your accessory belt (which is outside the engine) and doesn't last as long as an internal timing belt.

If anyone replaced your timing belt, that typically is a 500 - 1000 dollar job, they typically would replace the water pump since they're in there.

If you are really smelling anti-freeze, then it could be just a simple problem like a hose clamp that needs tightening or a cap that needs replaced, or it could be more serious (radiator leak, water pump leak, heater core leak, etc).

If your anti-freeze level isn't dropping, then there is no need to excessively worry about this, just continue to monitor the level.
    Whoa...on that timing belt thing...I was under the impression, on the 02 and later Camry's that there was only one serpentine belt...nothing in the engine...were these not called timing chains? In fact I think I remember getting coupons for a 'timing belt' replacement for $200+ or so...am I wrong? I also believe that with this design, if the belt brakes, no harm comes to the engine....as it does with older fashion timing chains....
    so there is no real magic test the dealer can do except look over everything....would they even see a water pump leak? How much is a new water pump on an 02 Camry?
    Ahh sorry,

For a 2002 internal to the engine, if your engine is a V6 then there is a timing belt....if it is an I4 then it is a chain. On the outside of both engines, there is also an accessory belt.
    just spoke w/dealer...you are correct, the 2002 4cylinder has a chain in the engine...if it goes it can cause great problems...YET...he told me there is no replacement inteval...said it is designed to last as long as the engine..if you keep up with your oild changes it should not be an issue.....DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?

He said the other belt is about $90 to change unless a new tensioner is needed then $300+.

He said only to change the water pump when it fails....could also cost $400.

Does all this sound about right?

Should I take the car in and have them look at the water pump...would they even be able to tell if its starting to go bad...I should have asked I the guy I guess.....like I said, warranty is good for another week only....
    Unless you are seeing antifreeze dripping from the shaft of the waterpump, see a puddle of antifreeze on the floor, seeing a loss of antifreeze level out of your recovery tank, or hear the waterpump shaft squealing....taking it to the dealer will most likely result in a no trouble found (and a potential charge for that analysis). Nobody will pull and replace a waterpump because you think you smell antifreeze. It is much more likely you have a leak from a hose clamp that isn't tight enough anymore.
    ok, thanks..I'll just kepp and eye and nose on it this week!

So about that timing chain..is it true it should last and need not be repalced on any given interval.....
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    About the timing chain, it should last the life of the engine, so there's no need to be concerned about it.
  • Timing chain engine, Camry

In 2002 Camry got a new seris engine, and you got it, the 2AZ engine. The water leak is a good issue to watch It is hard to see any leaks since you have a big catch pan under the engine

Too bad you don't do your own maintenance but a mechanic should remove this panel in about two minutes and look for trails of Antifreeze on the bottom of the engine. He would be looking at the hoses mentioned in past post as well as the Timing Chain area because this is where the Water Pump is located.

The water pump is much harder to remove. It is under the timing chain. However the trail of or stain of water will be visible under the crankshaft pulley if the Water Pump is leaking. The Antifreeze will collect in the engine under the timing chain cover, and stink up your engine. It will eventually evaporate or leak on to the ground or on to the panel that covers the bottom of the engine, Very hard to catch.You have to be under the car with a light and the bottom panel removed.

Try and impress your mechanic and mention the 2AZ numbers and letters when referring to engine size. This is common jargon when talking about Toyota engines. Oh yea its a 2.4 , as in 2.4 liter, and a straight 4 cylinder engine, 4 spark plugs.It replaced the 2.2 engine much smaller. Now you are viewed as knowledgeable about Toyota's when around the shop.

Chain is lifetime.
  • rah6rah6 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 XLE 4 cylinder with 85K miles. One source tells me I have a timing belt. Another source tells me I have a chain. How do I determine which I have?
    You say you have a 4 cylinder, so it's a chain. It used to be a belt in the 4 cylinder as well, so if the generic older service book you have wasn't updated, it would be reflected incorrectly.

You can't tell by looking at the vehicle, it's internal to the engine.
    thanks. To be honest since I popped the resevoir cap (which I thought might not have beed all the way on since it popped off so easy...and then snapped it back in place, I have not smelled it. Maybe the cap was not fully on...I did just have an oil change?
  • I have a 2000 Camry 2.2L. My water pump seized up and snapped my timing belt and that caused some valves to be bent. I had a mechanic put on a new water pump and timing belt and he had the head rebuilt. Now the oil pressure light stays on. He said he took the valve cover off to try and identify if it indeed had low oil pressure to the head. He said that there is good oil pressure in the front of the head but not very much pressure in the back side of the motor. Does anyone know what can cause this?
  • dvernondvernon Posts: 3
    This maybe a duplicate - as I wanted to reply - I also have a 2000 Camry 4 door, 4 cyl - - I was told that my car does not have a oil pressure light - and that was 100,000 miles ago - I can't find owners manual - but trying to find out what type oil as I want to get a few quarts for backup - It went from full to low in 2,000 miles. Good luck
    Of course you have an oil light. Watch closely all of the lights come on during dashboard light test, when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position.

It's the little icon, that looks like a gravy laddle, that is dripping.

For a 2000, the oil is 5w30
  • Oh yea the radiator cap !!

It will get you everytime .

It's got to be pushed down and twisted like a child safety cap to get off. It can be trouble to get on sometimes unless you push down hard and twist Then you turn it one time more without pressure and it locks in place.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I think he meant the reserve (overflow) tank's cap, not the main radiator cap itself.