Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Camry Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I respond to rattling noise too.

My 92 Camry I bought without driving because it looked well maintained an was at wholesale price. XLE all power, and sun roof too. Anyways the struts would rattle when you drive it I knew it wasn't a big deal cause I rather have something worn out that I could replace than pay more for something thats going to need replacing.

Your noise sound more superficial. The ting noise is propaly just that, a piece of tin rattling like your exhaust system or water deflector on your breaks, or a heat shield under the body next to the hot exhaust parts.

To test this, I would put the car in gear, block the tires, and have someone just ever so slightly give it some gas. Try it in reverse, blocking the tires in the other direction. This puts the car under stress an creates many odd noises, listen for the one you normally hear.
  • bigjohn60bigjohn60 Posts: 2
    How do you change spark plugs on a 92 2.2L? They're 5/8 plugs, but my socket barely fits into the sleeve and there is a rubber grommet just above the plug that prevents the socket from going over the plug. Do you have to remove the sleeve? If so, how? I took the large nut off the top of the sleeve, but the sleeve didn't budge. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Big John.
  • bigjohn60bigjohn60 Posts: 2
    I figured it out.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Did you, that's great! Would you share here in case others run into the same situation? Thanks so much!
  • emilyvemilyv Posts: 1
    Hello there,

I've been reading the posts here and they seem very helpful. My 99 Camry driver's side window is making a weird noise and I'm afraid it's about to die. Any help as to if it is the motor, or the regulator and what to do?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    WIthout being able to either hear the sound, or see the movement....could only guess.

You could have a motor going bad, gears going bad, the track could be loose causing binding, you could have a bad window switch causing decreased voltage to the motor....could be any number of things.

You really have to take the inside of the door off to look inside, and watch it's operations. That will allow you to see the movements happening, and hear better and perhaps pinpoint the problem area.
  • Window noise on camry, I d remove the panel too like the last post.

I never dome a 99 but the 92 has obvious screws under in the armrest. The trick is to get the panel off without breaking anything.

The bottom is mostly clips and the sides ,. Its the middle that you have to be careful to find the hidden srews useually under the armrest. Let me go out and look at mine, I had it off a month ago.

Im back. Oh yea the speaker cover hid one of the screws, its pops off. That srew holds the armrest on tight. I see the mirror cover is preventing the door panel from sliding upward. The panel always needs to slide straight up, while hitting the top of the panel in a up and in motion, striking against the window opening. Its hooked over that part and wont come unhooked unless you force it in tighter against the door frame and up against the window. Dont try to pull the panel away from the door frame at the bottom it only hooks it more. It helps to have the window down too.
  • titantxtitantx Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I've reached 35k miles on my 03 Camry (4 cyl, Manual transmission) and need to take it in for a major 30,000 mile service. I've called several dealerships AND local automotive service shops and the cost is around $400.

The issue is that each dealership and shop say certain things need to be done - but the list is not identical.

My biggest concern of those non-identical items brought up are: differential fluid change, power steering flush, throttle body cleaning, fuel injection cleaning.

Although I'm not a mechanic, I know (and have done) oil changes, air filter change, cabin air filter change and coolant flush. Are these areas sufficient at this point? Or will I need to invest in those other things mentioned?

Thanks for any and all help. :)
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    All of your "non identical" items are ripoffs, especially at such a low mileage.

Sounds like you need to consult the Toyota maintenance schedule (included in your owner's manual packet) and copy on a separate sheet of paper only the items that Toyota says should be done for your mileage and type of driving. Please don't be lured by the scare stories of dealers or shops saying you must do this or that when Toyota, who built the car, is silent on the issue. These people are just looking for a quick buck!

I am assuming that your car otherwise is exhibiting no operational problems, like stalling or hesitation. One big plus for you is your car has a manual transmission, which means you don't ever have to deal with what seems to be the weakest link in today's powertrains -- the automatic transmission.
  • Any suggestions on what I should look for or demand if I like the car? I will check the carfax. I would like them to also pull the valve cover and check for sludge.

Thank you!
  • taz16taz16 Posts: 29
    2002 Camry SE V6 Fuel

Hello I was wondering if anybody in here owns a Camry V6 between the model years 2002-2006, I was planning on buying one and just needed to know if it's alright to put midgrade 89 fuel inside it??? or will it just slightly decrease its power output?? or will it mess up the engine???

Thanks,

Taz16
    The 2002-2006 Camry V6 can run safely even on 87 octane, but 91 or 92 is "recommended" for maximum performance. Check the owner's manual for the exact wording, but the key is you won't harm the engine with 87 (on the assumption the engine is running properly).
  • Wow you have low mileage for a 2003, 30,000 miles

I worked at a dealer and did a bunch of these. We made a lot of money on the service cause its sounds like your getting so much for the so much money. Its good to do all this and keep your car well maintained but a lot could be done by you.I liked working on these cars that had this preventive maintenance done, cause they were well maintained and not as dirty as one that had been leaking for a few years.

I could do the transmission gasket in a half hour with the help of a lift. This would take a lot longer without one. I would be draining the other fluids asI installed the tranny gasket. Your manual transmission fluid should not need service. A manual transmission fluid last longer than an automatic. If I remember correctly the manual doesn't need a gasket to change because there is no filter for the fluid. We just drain the oil like a engine and pumped it back in with a special pump that had gear oil in it. The bolt to remove to refill this gear oil is hard to find.

You sound like your taking good care of your car. I would clean the throttle valve with a safe cleaner and put injection cleaner in the tank to save some money. Of coarse the mechanic will do the same thing too, and charge you more money. Some shops have a kit that hooks up to the fuel rail and cleans the injectors. A can of cleaner is hooked up here, and in about 10 mins its empty. We didnt do this extra step.

The throttle body can easily be gotten to by using a 8mm socket on the air duct. Remove it carefully, because with age they will rip and break although it is rubber. Then I'd open the throttle valve wide open and use a toothbrush to scrub the front and back side of this valve, then wipe carefully with a paper towel. I use alcohol(isopropyl) I have here in my garage, but an Auto Parts store has a safe spray that wont destroy the coating on this valve. Don't use something like carb cleaner spray.

Power steering fluid is a little harder to change and flush. I watched a kid do this on a car at a local oil change place here. I remember him getting a little nervous when I was asking him how the machine he was using flushes all the fluid out and replaces it with new.? He was only putting in a quart as the old fluid was pumped out.

To truly get a good flush, a couple quarts should be flushed through. The old fluid is not completely out when only a quart is pumped out. I guess its a 50% flush. Its not as critical on a preventive flush.

When I change a pump, I pump all the fluid out into a empty can while pumping in new fluid out of a large container. Then when this new fluid fills the drain can again and looks clean, I throw both flushed fluids away. I finish with another couple of quarts of new fluid in the system with the hoses connected back up.

You didnt mention battery post. Some guys just put grease on them and didnt remove the cable. The best way to keep post clean is to remove the cable, clean it, then grease it and reinstall. The positive terminal always corroded before the neg. terminal. Remove the neg first on this type of maintenance and install last to avoid sparks.You cant get zapped. Go ahead and touch each post at the same time. Start jumping to scare your friends.
  • armygruntarmygrunt Posts: 1
    This car is driving me crazy. Its over heating. I am slightly disabled and discouraged. I pulled the thermostat because i thought it was stuck. I can see water still flowing so i am assuming the water pump is working, the fans dont seemed to want to come on, i checked the fuses, and they are good. Today i went out there because i read somewhere that you can pull the caps off the relays and see if they are working well i did with my test light and the fans came on. But the car still wasnt cooling down, temp was rising. Im not a mechanic but a simple parts changer but i know how things are sopposed to work. I cant figure this out. Does anyone have anything else i can check?

Thank you for your time
  • crvexcrvex Posts: 23
    The air conditioner on my 2004 camry (47k miles) is not blowing cold air anymore. is that normal for car at this age? how can i fix it?
    thanks
    Not at all normal. My '04 Camry has 53K miles and the a/c is fine. My 10-year-old Nissan Frontier still has working air.

I think you have almost no choice but have a qualified mechanic take a look. You don't have to go to the dealer, since the car is out of warranty. Get recommendations from friends, relatives, or co-workers.
  • svec7186svec7186 Posts: 56
    rarely when i use the turn signal knob, along with the normal click, click, click, i also get a high pitch digital sound along with the click.

any ideas on whats wrong?
    I have no idea what it is, but if rare, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Is the high pitch coming from the flasher unit, or does it sound like it's coming from the radio as interference?

You might just want to buy a new turn signal flasher, they're cheap.
  • gasakygasaky Posts: 2
    I rode for 2months. That is not my car. It's a my sister's car. But It's my first car in US. It's a very old car. It ran 12miles. In spite of, engine is very soft and strong. Now I ride chevrolet cobalt 2006. But camry is stronger than cobalt. Of course, they have different horsepower. But feel is different.