Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 535i vs Lexus GS 350 vs Audi A6

Folks..I've narrowed down my search to these three..They all ride great..are within 2k-3k of each other price wise and they also look terrific..I'll be posting this on the Audi and Lexus forum's as well..But from a BMW perspective what is the one overiding reason why I should choose BMW versus the others? My primary criteria are:
Reliability
Ride (I have 1 hr each way to work-constantly on the cell)
and "Tech"- GPS, Bluetooth, user interface etc..
Looking forward to the responses

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm curious why you are even posting that question. If you don't care about the overall performance of the car, then buy the Lexus and be done with it.
  • Performance is important but not at the expense of having to constantly "tweak" the car or a noisy ride given the length of my commute, cell phone use etc..
  • I'm a BMW fan, but I also own a Lexus GX470 and I used to own an Audi A6.

The stock answer to your question of BMW vs. (insert competing cars in class here) is "do you want to drive or do you want to be driven?" If it's the former, the 535i is the only way to go. If its the latter, both the Lexus and Audi would be better choices. If your hour long commute is mostly stop and go traffic, the Lexus would be my pick. If, on the other hand, your commute contains some stretch where you can open it up, the BMW wins hands down.

You mentioned in your OP, how the cars "rode." Let me ask you a better question, "How did they drive?"
  • Dark Katana:

Great post! In short, the BMW drove like a luxury sports car- tight, responsive etc..On the other end of the spectrum, the Lexus drove like a high-end luxury car, very quiet, smooth, refined...The Audi seemed to me at least to be somewhat in the middle maybe leaning towards the BMW...I'm going to go for another run this weekend with all 3..Interesting that Audi and Lexus appear to be very hungry for my business, BMW is basically saying come back when your done driving "the rest of them".....
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I think the A6 is an excellent, nay, perfect compromise between the 535i and the GS350. It's way more sporty than the GS350, but it doesn't beat you up. The steering is much lighter than in the BMW, but still responsive. Having driven all three vehicles (the V8 versions, anyway), I have to say the A6 is at least as sporty as the 5-series. It handles wonderfully, takes off smartly, and it feels good going on down the road in it. And the MMI in the A6, I think, is brilliant; much better than iDrive. I've never liked Lexus' interface. It just feels like something's missing from it, as though it's there just for the sake of being there. Hard to explain, really. :confuse:

But anyway, I doubt you'd be disappointed driving the A6 overall.
  • Great feedback as well...Audi sent me an email today wanting me to schedule a test drive..I think I will take them up on this over the weekend..I very much agree with you on the Lexus interface..Even though it's a touch screen, I did not find it as "smart" as the MMI...The BMW idrive is more complicated although I think I can get the handle of it over time (I'm an IT guy..)..One thing I did notice is that Audi did not have a BMW Assist or Lexus Link type of capability although that's what I guess your cell phone is for...
  • mrsmmrsm Posts: 4
    I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. If you're testing the 535i you need to drive the Lexus GS460. We drove the GS350 and found it lacking to the 535i due to acceleration and handling. The GS460 has a sports mode that changes the handling and gear ratio that makes it much closer in feel to the BMW. We bought the Lexus because of the reliability and our dislike of idrive and BMW turn signals. All of these cars are great and how fortunate we are that we get to drive one of them. Enjoy!
    One thing I forgot to mention on the A6. The negative of the A6, to me, is that it is starting to look dated. And I hardly ever see one on the road, so that's really bad! :( It's just not aging well at all. But my overall positive opinion of it still stands. :)
  • I do see a fair amount here in Texas (Houston specifically)...Your right that the body style could use an update...
  • I am also trying to choose between the BMW 535 and the Lexus GS350 (in my case the awd versions). I am not a big Audi fan because of the Audi body style but I might have to look at them. It is a tough choice since there is no clear winner, all 3 cars have a number of flaws - a shame at the prices. Consumer reports dropped the GS350 awd from it's recommended list with a below average reliability rating. The 535i is rated average, the GS350 is rated above average, as is the Audi A6. Good luck with you decision!

US News Auto Rankings
  • agnsagns Posts: 2
    Which of these cars are more dependable? I HATE having to take my car in and although I love BMW, many people have told me that Lexus has far less problems than a BMW.
    That pretty much goes without saying. But what do you enjoy more, a reliable A-to-B appliance or an engaging drive? Is some time in the shop worth the tradeoff for more exciting driving?
  • My cousin and I had comparable BMW and Lexus cars,he owned a 328 and I had an IS 300.

Believe me i thrashed my IS 300 and drove it hard all the time. He was much more gentle with his 328, yet it was his car not mine that was falling to pieces at 120K. I even had to pick him up once because his water pump failed.

My IS 300 NEVER let me down.

In my opinion if you really are interested in performance I think the Lexus is much better than BMW because the Lexus can survive prolonged hard driving. Another benefit to Lexus was the fact I could get a $75.00 four wheel alignment at Sears. This would be very useful if you are fast driver.

As far as performance is concerned the GS 350 is awesome. When its significantly faster than the IS 300 on most roads and freeway sweepers.

The car itself has tremendous grip and its so much fun blowing past 9-11's and Corvettes on fast and tight curves.

Although the car is quite fast and has immense performance the most important thing is how comfortable you are with it. I like the light steering and quick response time. However some people prefer the high resistance BMW/Honda steering.

There are some disadvantages to the GS 350. As a performance value I feel the ES 350 is better. The ES 350 has that violent and fast initial take off because of its front wheel drive steering. In addition the tires on ES 350 are a harder compound so if you really are a fast driver they will last longer and be cheaper to replace.

In addition the trunk is much larger in the ES 350. That's not to say the GS 350 has a small trunk, but there have been times where I would have liked more trunk space.

The ES 350 also has tremendous performance. Admitedly its not quite as fast as the GS 350 through fast and tight corners it still has incredible speed and grace and was definitely faster at the limit than my IS 300.

Although I chose the GS 350 the ES 350 is in many ways a more versatile and even exciting car,especially when you are making a standing start.

Despite the other drawbacks when I drive my GS 350 however there is nothing more fun that seeing a curve or interchange on the freeway and seeing how fast you go. Its really an amazing car with excellent performance. The traction control is awesome and can really save your rear end when you overcook into a corner. Although I have to admit you NEVER want to be in a situation when you can actually hear the traction control beep(versus the seeing the yellow traction control light),it means you are going WAY TOO FAST into a corner and your tires are probably screaming.

If you have an appetite for high speed corners then the GS 350 is the car to buy.
  • visoviso Posts: 14
    Actually, in SoCal the A6 is quite popular and seems to be showing up everywhere. It doesn't look dated, you just have to be careful on your rim and trim selection. Certain colors and rims do not do the A6 justice. My recommendation is get the S-Line with sports package and add 19" optional rims (choose the 5-double spoke). The A6 looks amazing. Also, consider Ibis White with titanium finished rims if you can and the car blows away any Lexus, 5-Series, or E-Class in the S-Line Sports Package. I've had mine since 2005 and it is SOLID like a rock!
    ... The A6 looks amazing. Also, consider Ibis White with titanium finished rims if you can and the car blows away any Lexus, 5-Series, or E-Class in the S-Line Sports Package. ...

Oh, I don't know about that. The '08 550i w/ the M-Sport package looks pretty good. :blush: But the S-Line trim is nice.
  • Oh, I don't know about that. The '08 550i w/ the M-Sport package looks pretty good. But the S-Line trim is nice.

I agree, and the funny thing... I didn't buy my 550i w/M-Sport Pkg. to blow doors off of anything. Just love having a car that drives and handles as well as this does, and of course has the torque and HP when you need it. :shades:
  • You will notice many Audis on the road after you buy one. Seems to be true with many brands.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Some personally directed comments have been removed. You don't have to believe everything that is posted here, but you do have to refrain from insulting people who post something you don't agree with.

In fact, you have to refrain from insulting others under all circumstances, regardless of who "started it".
  • visoviso Posts: 14
    I do know about that! The S-Line is amazing too me. You do not have to agree, but a 5-Series doesn't look anything special at all.
  • Well different strokes...

I ended up orderering a BMW 535xi. It was the first car I test drove and nothing I drove after it put the same grin on my face. I wanted an AWD car and I found the Lexus GS awd to be cramped (no headroom), there was a strange bump that hit my right calf when my foot was on the pedal, and it had a very small trunk. The Audi's don't do anything for me, can't say why. I was a bit hesitant about getting a car with the iDrive system, so I focused on it the second time I test drove the 535. I found that I really enjoyed the way the iDrive worked, but the menus are slightly confusing. That will just take a bit of time to learn, but shouldn't be the problem that reviewers make it out to be. It might have something to do with my being comfortable using computers.