Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• frs929frs929 Posts: 51
    We had the transmission replaced by AAMCO . It has been running fine. GM said they couldn't do anything for me because I didnt bring it to them.
    We have a 2007 Outlook that had the transmisson replaced at 87000. It was two months paat the 5 yr warranty. I called GM to ask if we were still covered. They said we were 2 months over the 5 yrs. Not bring it in and we will see what we can do. Had it fixed at AAMCO. Talked and sent many letters to GM trying to get reimbursed to no avail. Said I didnt bring it to GM first. That if I had and it was discovered that it was a defect it would have been paid. Also if there is a recall then they would pay. I dont think there will ever be a recall lol
  • Yep they did the same thing to me! Well as of yesterday I got rid of mine..... I am now a Toyota owner forever. I loved my outlook but I have to feel safe and I was a confident even the new transmission I paid for would last either. It's a known problem and the way GM handled it for myself and others plain disgusted me and was a real disappointment after having been a GM owner my whole life! I'd get rid of it if I were you before new transmission goes too.
  • Update: 1/14/13

Well, I am posting this so that I am completely fair to GM.

Earlier I posted that my transmission had been replaced at 30,000 miles and I started experiencing skipping again at 63,000 miles. The dealer had already hinted that since the power train was out of warranty I would have to pay for repairs.

So here's how it all came to an end.

I contacted GM and opened a case number prior to the dealership even looking at the vehicle. Kathy, the rep I spoke with, empathized with me and opened up the case and reffered it to a district Manager.

My wife set up an appointment with the dealer to diagnose the problem last Friday. We dropped of the vehicle Friday morning.

Within an hour the District Manager called me to explain that the vehicle was out of warranty and that at best GM might cover a small portion of the cost to repair the transmission. I told him in a very polite and respectful manner that this was unacceptable to me. Even if the vehicle was out of warranty, I do not expect to perform major repairs to the transmission every 30,000 miles. He agreed with me and we agreed to wait until the diagnostics were complete before making a final decision.

About 2 hours pass and Ray, the service manager, calls my wife and explains to her that the repairs will cost about $1100.00 but that since we have been in touch with GM, they would cover the costs of the repairs and we would only need to pay $100.00 for the deductable.

I found this offer to be fair and we proceeded with the repairs. The transmission is no longer skipping and they explained that the transmission control module was damaged.

One thing that was kind of shady was the fact that the dealer had stated a couple of years ago that the transmission had been replaced. On Friday, the District Manager told me that the only thing that had been replaced was the Clutch plate. When I told him that the dealer claimed the transmission had been replaced he said it might be a coding error on his part. He said he would get back to me but hasn't yet. So I'm thinking my transmission was never replaced.

In any case, I think that GM and Ray did the right thing here and repaired the problem with minimum investment on my part.

Thank you Ray and Thank you GM!
    Good luck to all that are having problems with this vehicle. And I appreciate all your support.
  • I will also post to be fair to GM as well.

First thing I will say is what was said to me: Cost assistance is determined on a case by case basis so all members may not get the same resolution.

That being said, about two weeks ago, my wife and kids were driving and the transmission went out without warning; wouldn't stay in upper gears, reverse was gone. Classic wave plate symptoms. She parked the car, we had it towed to Tom Gill Chevrolet in Florence, KY.

I called and explained and, site unseen, was given an estimate between $2800 and $3800. We kind of swallowed our tongues, but with three kids and one wage earner, there aren't a lot of options.

Our Outlook (07) was technically out of warranty by several months, but it was under 100k and gently driven - pretty much day care and grocery store. I found this website after a little research and was surprised to see such a recurrent problem. We had suffered the issue with headlights multiple times as well as a couple other problems.

I posted, got some rather discouraging responses from the general public and then heard from Ashley with Customer Service. She asked a few perfunctory questions, got my email address and phone #, and it went off-line. She contact the dealership, discussed the matter...

A couple days later, I got a call from the service guy at Tom Gill (Michael Monday) who said that GM may be willing to assist, but they wanted to understand precisely what had happened. We had to authorize a $1900 bill for removal and diagnosis of the problem, which we did. They did their thing, confirmed that it was the wave plate and contacted the District 12(?) manager to discuss. Then Michael contacted me to discuss options:

Option 1: GM would offer us an additional $2k toward a trade in
    or
    Option 2: They would prorate the work based on mileage and time past the powertrain warranty; in our case, the cost would be $800 total out of pocket.

We took Option 2. They have the car in shop now and we're hoping to have it back within the week.

GM did the right thing for us, hands down. Thanks to Ashley, Tom Gill Chevrolet and the District 12 GM.

Jason Wilson
    Your very lucky to have gotten anything out of GM. My 07 Outlook was 2 mo beyond the 5 yr warranty at 87000. I had it repaired at to the tune of $3700 and GM did nothing for me. Offered to split the cost and still they declined. I will never buy a GM product again . They know its a problem yet do nothing . Claim to say customer satisfaction is a priority but its all lip service.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,154
    jwilson12,
    Thank you for taking the time to post! I have passed your compliments along to Ashley, who I'm sure will be pleased.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Remember to file with the NHTSA. Doing so will help you and others to recooperate out of pocket expenses when the vehicle is recalled because of this issue.
  • Got a call the car was done, so went to enterprise dropped off the rental had them take to dealer. Got the car started heading home got on 35 hit 65 got to the exchange of 35 and 190 and it did it again. So cut back through Belton took it back to dealer, Dave took it out with me to see what I was talking about, got it to 65 for a short time and it stop responding. Wouldn't even respond in manual mode and wouldn't go into overdrive. Took me back to dealer grab the mechanic took it out again, got it to repeat. Have no idea the problem, possibly the command module have to call GMC tech support. Torque converter is what is going on according to tech support. According to Dave their flow charts don't show the torque converter in the factoring in of what happened only by calling tech support do they get that information. I guess according to tech support that is what caused all the damage and trash(metal shavings) in the valve body. This is the most recent problem, about 6 months ago I had to have a plate replaced in the tranny. anymore of these problems, I'm ditching GM and going with something more reliable
    heather_dave,

We see you're working with the dealership on this. If you want for us to do any follow-up with your dealership at all, please contact us by email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • donmccdonmcc Posts: 7
    Glad I looked here, but now I'm scared. Thankful too, because I made it to 96k without any tranny problems. Now, however, about 1 out of every 10 starts, it won't shift up. Took it to the dealer today, he says they have to do a "teardown" (est 5 hrs labor) to see what's wrong because it has several codes. I have to reschedule this appt for another day anyway, maybe I should go to AAMCO instead?
  • I just wanted to add a positive experience to this post.
    On 01/04/2013 my 2007 Saturn Outlook XE AWD had the 3-5-R wave plate failure while cruising the highway. Truck was 2 months past the warranty with 77200 miles. I called Saturn to see if there was any possibility of having this fixed by GM even though the warranty was out. The Saturn rep instructed me to have the truck diagnosed at a GM dealership of my choice, and they would decide if they could help covering the cost.
    I chose to take my Saturn to Craig Smith Auto Group in Galion Ohio. They diagnosed the problem and confirmed that it was the 3-5-R wave plate.
    The service rep and manager said that they would need to talk to the district rep to see what could be done. I have to say that I was not all that optimistic.
    After a short while the service manager called back to say that GM was willing to help, they offered to remove and rebuild the transmission for only a $200 deductible. I couldn't believe it.
    I agreed to have them fix it, and just got it back today.
    Total cost of just over $300 after deductible, diagnostic fee, and taxes.
    Truck now shifts as it did before the failure and I couldn't be happier!
    I have always owned GM products and this whole experience has confirmed the reason why.
    A big thanks GM, and an especially big thanks to Craig Smith Auto Group!
  • Took 8 days to tell me still do not have answer. I repaired on my own. I use my car for work, drive 1200 miles a week. I loss more money waiting on decision. I told my customer service rep what I had to do, she informed me that GM wold no longer help since I did not repair at gm dealer. You have loss a customer, who owned 4 gm vehicles, and I will be going back to Toyota. My local Toyota dealer offers lifetime drivetrain warranty. I won't have to deal with this again. Your delay tactics worked, you frustrated me into my own decision. My sons will not buy GM now as well. Your tier service decision making is a joke. Someone in charge needs to make a decision, not make your customers stew! The whole process has left me disgusted. I purchased 4 GM cars within last 10 years, over $120,000 in purchases, and you loss me over a $4000 RETAIL repair. Probably a $2000 cost. I would have shared some of that if it was ever offered. Good luck to GM, I don't know if you'll make it treating consumers like you did me. I have filed complaint with NHTSB as well. Your transmissions should be recalled!
    Keep us posted on whether or not you wanted to work with the dealership on this, donmcc. We're available to follow up on any appointments if you want - email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience, johnson683! Wishing you many happy miles ahead, and if you should ever like for us to contact Craig Smith Auto Group to say thanks, contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the story so we know what we're saying thanks for).

Thank you Sarah. I am going to work with the dealership and have made arrangements to drop off my vehicle this afternoon to Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA. I will email you the details as you requested.
  • hagenbhagenb Posts: 5
    I called and filed out a form, I did my part to help get this recalled. Even the garage I had mine fixed at said they have been seeing more and more of these.
    Our 07 transmission went out in July 2012. Ours too was only two months past the 5 yr warranty. I called GM and they confirmed my car was out of warranty and made no offer to look it and maybe pay some of the cost. I had to foot the whole bill to the tune of $3700. GM still sucks in my book and just bought a new car recently and it wasnt a GM
  • cocupidcocupid Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    We are experiencing problems with our 2008 Outlook that we purchased in August'12. The vehicle has 47k on it. Having had Ford cars primarily in the past that we never had any troubles with I was surprised when the engine light came on Friday afternoon literally in my driveway. No warnings of any kind prior that nothing. So there it sat, because shifting it into reverse or drive got you nothing. So this morning I contacted GM and received a claim number, followed by a phone call to a towing company and then to the local GMC dealership to let them know it's on the way. I'm awaiting diagnostics test and the like, so I will post again when I here from Ed Bozart Chevy.
    Received a call yesterday late afternoon with the news that we needed a new transmission. Ed Bozart hadn't completed the estimate yet at the time (never a good sign) and they would call with the cost. I missed the called later in the evening - I'd had enough & talking about this issue was making me madder by the minute.
    How can you claim to do such rigorous testing on your vehicles and then have a transmission go out OVERNIGHT 47K without any warning whatsoever. Lucky for GM that the transmission failed when it did - in my driveway, because 5 minutes prior to that I would have been on a major highway & I shutter to think of the possiblities.
    Anyway, this morning I returned the call the the dealership and was informed that the cost would be $3,822 but they were offering a 10% discount and I could get a $200 Visa rebate from GM - like I'd won a prize or something. I will be checking around today with transmission shops, etc. for better pricing.
    A call to a friend of mine at Channel 9 here in Denver for an investigate report might also be in order. It would seem to me that GM has a problem with their transmissions just based on the many posts here - perhaps a recall is in order - right??
    Let me end by saying my husband wasn't thrilled about getting this car since he has always been a Ford guy. We currently have 3 Ford vehicles that have required only normal maintenance oil changes & the like, new tires, etc. & have definitely never had to replace a transmission on a vehicle. My husband currently has 120k on an 2005 - F150, my daughter's 95 Mustang has 86K & I had 169K on my 99 Expedition (that was broadsided & totaled this summer, forcing me to purchase another car). I was the one who said let's give a GMC car a try, it's American made too. So much for that - Shame on me. This is so wrong to have to replace this transmission at this point & pay for it entirely to boot!! I'm a pretty easy going person but right now my dander is up!
    edited January 2013
    The bad news on our situation is that the dealership is guessing that one of the clutches disintegrated, with a repair cost of $3800.

The good news is that I contacted GM customer service, first by email and then phone, and Donae is working on our request for assistance from GM. Our transmission trouble started within days of warranty expiration, <100K, original owners, etc so I am hopeful that they will stand by their product which should never experience this level and frequency of failure.
    Of course, at the same time as our tranny problem, the passenger air bag goes inop and we're told that the in-seat sensor must be replaced at >$700. There's another thing that shouldn't happen 5 years off of the line!
    They wont do anything for you. I know from experience
  • My 2008 outlook 5GZEV13728J118867 has left me stranded twice this last week. I get a computer message of traction control off and much reduced power. Out of desperation I have discovered if I turn off the car, it can &#147;reset&#148; itself and go back into drive mode with a check engine signal. The codes given are:
    P1516 Electronic throttle mod VS, Throttle Position Performance
    P2119 Throttle Closed Position Performance
    P2135 TP Sensor 1-2 Correlation
    It needs to be fixed quickly as I live in a mountainous area and I literally &#147;get stuck&#148; with my two young girls.

My trusted mechanic owns Sabaru here in Colorado springs. We have not had the best of luck going to dealers here and in Denver. We had transmission replaced when we were stranded near Denver and had to push car off the road (literally). It was amazing that it was replaced &#147;no questions asked&#146; and the dealer there admitted they had to replace &#147;a lot&#148;. That told us that the car brand was having lots of problems.

Our local dealership is: Mike Shaw GM 1313 Motor City Dr 719-636-3881. This is the same place that argued with us about our headlight problems and then after we paid to have them fixed at a cheaper shop, a month later the recall went out about the light connectors.

Right now it is sitting at Sabaru Repair (they have been AWESOME on our subarus and I trust them) and Martin and I are researching the problem &#150; and I came upon this website.
    Please let us know what GM is doing about this problem. Thank you-
    Brenda Stanciu
    outlook2008,

Looking at your VIN, your powertrain warranty expires today (unless you're mileage is already past 100,420 MI). I understand you have a good relationship with your mechanic, but if you had wanted to see if what's happening with your vehicle would be covered it would be better to act on that sooner rather than later.

• how am I able to extend this warrenty? I am in contact with a GM dealership and they are showing it as expired in their computers. Also- what has been GM's policy for helping people with this traction control/loss of power issue? right now I am trying to make an appointment- they are saying it will cost me 75.00 just to get the diagnosis.
    I'm in Colorado too - live in Parker. Matter of fact I had just come back from visiting my mom in the Springs when I encountered my problem with our Outlook in my driveway last Friday. I'd like to stay in touch on our issues. Please post your progress with your vehicle here or you can also reach me directly on my facebook page - Rose Fischer Hoopes. Best of luck to you!
  • They have confirmed my powertrain expires today so I am going to get it in to the GM dealership by 1:00. If it can be connected to that- it would be great- but what will murphy's law say?? They said the traction control parts could also make the transmission feel sluggish if it is putting out wrong signals. I have to pay the 75.00 fee UNLESS it is powertrain related.
    I'm glad to hear they were able to get you in today, outlook2008! Keep us updated.