Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• We're happy to look into these concerns further, pnhdad. Please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com so that we may open a case and contact your dealership: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook with only 45,000 miles on it. While driving 65 mph on the highway, my car completely shut down. Thank God I was able to pull over safely to the shoulder of the road. I was able to get the car started right away but for a while the steering wheel was making sounds and the air conditioner was not working properly. This was an extremely scary experience. I'm taking my car to the dealer today. Hopefully, he can figure out what went wrong. Please post if your Outlook has had a similiar problem.

In the past, I have had the headlight and leaky roof problem.
  • Good morning,
    We're very sorry to hear about the situation on the highway and are glad to know that you're okay. Please keep us posted on your progress at the dealership!
  • I feel so much relief... I HAD a 2007 Saturn Outlook that was a great car for all the reasons except what a car should be- safe, reliable transportation. The whole family loved the space, comfort and appearance, even the football kids we'd bring to practices with us. BUT at 73K miles the transmission started to slip and rev high, took it to the dealer for service still under warranty at the end of June 2012..... stupidly believed it to be fixed and took the car on a road trip to DC when it really started to act up in DC stop and go traffic.... then transmission just died about 2 hours from home, on the interstate where average speed is 70 MPH!! talk about dangerous! Had it towed to the Chevy Dealer at home & they were awesome and fixed it at no charge but "warned me" that they were doing me a favor as it had passed warranty life, not true. Whatever. I took it straight to the Honda dealer and traded it for a Pilot the next day. I'm done with GM. Comfort is one thing, QUALITY is another.
  • daplapdaplap Posts: 2
    Count us in on the loss of power/chugging problems with our 2009 Saturn Outlook. The dealership mechaincs are saying it's the "coils". So far we've had two coils replaced, plus a new catalytic converter, plus multiple "fuel & induction system cleaning". And once again the car is with GM today for the same problem - 3rd time and we're only at 76000 miles. Sure sounds like a systemic (i.e. WARRANTY!) problem to me. My wife loves the car but mechanic friends tell us to cut losses and sell it asap.
  • Have you spoken with customer assistance in regards to the repeat concerns you've had with your coils on the Outlook? If you would like for us to get a case set up for you, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: Your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• I just wanted to add us to the long list of individuals who have experienced a broken wave plate right around warranty expiration time. In our case, the warranty expired due to time, not mileage, a little more than two months ago. Our car broke down as we were exiting the interstate after a road trip on Sunday. I contacted customer service earlier in the week...and haven't heard a thing back directly from them. They have been in contact with the dealership, who called me today with the "good news" that GM will be paying over half of the repair costs, so we'll "only" have to pay $1400 out of pocket. That's of course, in addition to the $400 out of pocket we've already paid for a rental car.

Based on the posts I've seen here, as well as posts on other forums, the wave plate issue in the 2007 Outlooks is a known issue for GM. They should be covering the entire cost, not leaving loyal customers holding the bill for their faulty engineering decisions. We have been loyal GM owners for years, but we'll be taking our business elsewhere now.
  • GM is not going to do a damn thing. My outlook has had its transmission replaced at 50,000, since then it has been in the shop 7 times for transmission related problems. each time I get a crappy loaner, while my SUV sits in a shop for a week. Then GM offers me 1000 dollars off a BRAND NEW GM vehicle, like if I could afford a new SUV I would be driving one! So my next offer was to pay for my onstar for 2 years. What I want is my down payment money back so I can get rid of this heap and not break down on the side of the road with my baby AGAIN! and now its stuck in gear again. This is time number 8. as usual on a saturday. Do yourself a favor and dont count on GM doing anything at all for you. Its terrible. I have owned nothing but GM vehicles, one right after the other, and now I get a piece o f crap that I will never be able to get rid of.
  • Decided to make this easy. We checked and the problem still existed. So, to make everything easier, we just got rid of the Saturn and bought a Ford. Hopefully, we will be trouble free from now on.
  • pebs4pebs4 Posts: 3
    our saturn outlook is a 2008 with 36,500 miles only. car started to rev up at 25-30mph and come down and again at 45mp. then completely stalled.....got it towed, mechanic says 3500 at the least for a new one. mechanic stated he never saw anything like this for an suv with these low miles. something needs to be done especially when other vehicles are doing this. please help, cant afford and shouldnt have to!
  • fkarasfkaras Posts: 14
    I had this with my 2009 20K miles solved it by trading to a toyota FOUR RUNNER,,, i can go on a trip to Florida any day and know this car is coming home , back to NY . i smile when i visit toyota dealership. when you must cry to beg GM for help
  • Good morning pebs4,
    We're sorry to hear about your Outlook. While we cannot guarantee what the end resolution will be up front, if you would like for us to look into this further please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com so we can get a Service Request going: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Imagine my disappointment as I search and read all the transmission trouble with a vehicle we WERE happy with....
    On the way to school this morning in heavy rain, I realize that the engine is squealing as I accelerate. RPMs over 5, mph not past 40 and I don't appear to be shifting out of 1st. Check engine light comes on. I stop and turn off the engine. Sit a minute and restart. Same trouble. I am forced to turn around, poke back home and change vehicles.
    This 2007 Saturn Outlook was purchased 9 months ago and currently has 59,000 miles.
    I feel foolish bc we tried to really do our homework before purchasing a used vehicle for our 7 member family. It was thoroughly inspected by a trusted and outstanding GM mechanic.
    I'm hoping the Powertrain warranty will handle all necessary repairs. I'm taking a list of these documented problems to my mechanic. Just don't want to risk a quick fix with continued problems as everyone else is reporting. Very disappointed. Should have purchased another used Chevy Tahoe. Our 2001 has nearly 300,000 miles!
  • Good luck with getting anything out of Gm. We bought a New 2007 Outlook and the transmission went bad at 87000 miles. It was 2 months past the 5 yr requirement too . I recently submitted a claim and GM turned me down. They dont stand behind their product. I will never buy another GM car and will tell everyone I know too. Got my bailout money but can't help anyone else.
  • We have only owned our 2007 Saturn Outlook since Jan 2012. After reading all this I am thinking maybe we chose wrong vehicle. We love the size and feel of the Outlook, replaced our 1996 Suburban with 285,000 miles. Yesterday we had transmission trouble for the first time, reverse is studderly and strange rpm race from 1st to 2nd. Called the only Saturn approved dealership in 100 miles and they said 1-2 weeks before it can even be looked at, most likely 2. What are we supposed to do for a car? They said loaner only applied once they have confirmed powertrain failure- 1-2 weeks. That is crazy. Only other real issue is that the power liftgate wont stay up after opened, but only sometimes. Other times it works perfect.
  • Hello montereymama,

We're sorry to see that you've had some transmission difficulties with your Outlook. If you have any questions about warranty coverage or would like for us to look into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

• Hello customsys,

We're sorry that there is such a delay to get your Outlook in to the dealership to have it looked at for the transmission concern you're experiencing. If you would like for us to check into this situation further, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com:your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• over all i would never buy a Saturn....The liftgate problem is from your liftgate arms...replace them. I had same problem. go online and order a generic one dont order GM part....

Transmission --- broken wave plate....my is in shop now...prob about 1400.00

sorry
  • Sounds exactly like what happened to me. GM is QUITE familiar with this issue. Others have had a broken "wave plate", but In mine, they replaced the Transmission TCM (transmission control module). Basically, it is both the electronic and hydraulic part of your automatic transmission that controls all shifting. ie, the computer tells the TCM to shift, and it actuates a valve that changes the gears. Anyway, they knew immediatley what was wrong. I had the extended GMAC warranty so it was covered. Good luck with yours....
  • I have a outlook 2007 and all it has given me are issues. I am a value customer for New Rochelle Chevy in NY. I brought a new 2009 Malibu with 4 miles on it. no issues. Then my family size changed so I went to that very same dealer I just paid over 26,000 in car for the malibu to trade and get my outlook. Not only did i not get Half the money down in my trade, but they gave me a lemon. THIS outlook has leaked from day one. They fixed it once and now want to charge me $250 just to tell me where the pour, YES pour of water from my roof is coming from. I replaced the front head lights seven times and received three tickets because when it was replaced, it blew right out again. To NOW get a recall about the wiring!!!! then the Transmission went in the car this year, They replaced it, but NOW not even 7 mons later, it's going again!!!!!! of course I'm out a warranty because I take my Handicap child to therapy four times a week 30 mills away from my house and I put too many miles on the car. The Dvd's they installed in the vehicles broke a week from getting the vehicle. I pushed the button to turn it off and the button went straight threw and fell in the Unit. All the buttons are broke. If it wasn't made to push, why install them? I have always gotten all my work done at the dealer. All oil changes, tire rotations, tune ups, etc... I hate my vehicle. At this point I PLEA PLEASE don't get a Saturn, or GM vehicle. They don't work with you. They take your money!!!!! I'm stuck with this vehicle that they can't fix or will charge you every time they fix the same item.. LIKE MY LEAKY, NO POURING inside till I have a puddle in my car and they act like they don't know where leak is coming from. a customer that will NEVER get another car from GM again!