Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    hlcole1,

If you wanted for us to into the progress on this for you, please email us your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN, as well as a brief summary of the situation, to socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Just bought a retooled transmission from a local Chevy dealership; my 2008 Saturn was only out of warrenty by 5000 miles. Tried to get in touch with someone who might be able to give me at least some kind of rebate on this expensive repair. Left messages at GM but have received no call backs. I would hope since this is only 4 years old i might receive help with expenses. I have been extremely careful with this car and had it serviced as advised. Is there anything I can do?
  • frs929frs929 Posts: 51
    I have a 07 Saturn Outlook that had 87000 miles when the transmission failed. It was 2 mo past the 5 yr part of the warranty. Paid $3700 to get it fixed. GM wouldnt do anything for me. Thats their way of doing business. To forget the customer once they sell you a car. Good luck.
  • My transmission went at 83,000 miles and my car wasn't even 4 years old and was also 5 mo out of warranty!!! They did nothing for me as well! The water pump was going to when they got in there to replace the transmission! Pretty sad they don't back their product and a car shouldn't need those kind of repairs before its even paid for! I'm ready to dump it. Ill never buy GM again!!
    Good morning challenger7,

We're sorry that you're having a difficult time getting in touch with us; if you would please send us either your Service Request number (71-***********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN via email at socialmedia@gm.com, we can check into what's happening on our end. If you would also please send us your phone number and provide the best time to call, we can pass this on to your agent.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • frs929frs929 Posts: 51
    Our Outlook had the water pump, brake booster, master cyl,plugs and transmission replaced before 87000. Our warranty was 2 months past the 5yrs and GM did nothing for us either. We bought a new car recently and you know it wasnt a GM product. Never again
  • Hi Sarah. Below is the email I just sent to the email address you gave. I obmitted my contact information in this reply but it is in the email I sent. Please let me know what you find and if you need any further information from me.

I have an 07 Saturn Outlook that I have owned for 4 years. It currently has 103,800 miles on it. I have had it in the shop for several warranty and recall issues. I also received a letter about 6 months ago from GM regarding issues with 07 outlook's timing chains and because of these issues, GM has extended my warranty to 120,000 on the timing chain.

Ever since I had this car we have experienced poor acceleration (along with many other issues). We had it in to the Portsmouth NH Saturn dealership a few times for this issue and they said there was nothing they could find. About a year and a half ago it seemed to have been getting worse so we had Midway Buick/GM in Somersworth NH look at the acceleration issue when they were performing a recall issue (yet another recall on this vehicle). They also said they could not find anything wrong with the acceleration.

About a week ago, I was driving on the highway and my car started sputtering, almost like I had a flat tire. I pulled over to find the tires were fine and when I started again, the sputtering stopped, however, my car seemed to have been driving very rough. It also seems to be having a lot of white exhaust smoke coming out and my check engine light came on. Seeing I had the letter regarding the timing chain, I googled signs of the timing chain going and I read all the same signs I was experiencing were related to the timing chain.

I made an appointment this Monday and took it to Hilltop Chevrolet in Somersworth NH. They put it on the computer and said it is showing codes related to my Camshafts and NOT my timing chain. However, they said to know for sure they would have to perform about 5-6 hours worth of labor removing the engine just to find out what was wrong with it.

I asked the manager to call GM to see if this would be covered under the timing chain warranty letter I received and he said the two are not related but he would call GM to see if there is anything they would do. The manager called me today to tell me that he spoke to GM and was told they would help but they are not sure exactly how much they will pay because they need to find out how much the repairs will cost first. So basically I have to pay $600 in labor just to find out what's wrong with it and to find what amount GM will cover. And to replace the Camshafts I've been told means the cylinder heads have to be replaced wich is almost a $5000 job!!! But needless to say I have no choice to have them do the 6 hour labor job to diagnose the issue.

I am very frustrated at the fact that I have had almost everything imaginable replaced in this vehicle and 4 years later I am still having issues. I also googled the signs of the Camshafts going and to my surprise the biggest sign is poor acceleration! In my mind, this is an issue that has been ongoing since I bought the vehicle and no one was able to diagnose it but now I am paying the price. I feel because of the timing chain letter I have,the fact that I have taken this vehicle in three times before for acceleration issues, I am only 3800 over my warranty, and more importantly the fact that I have a vehicle that isn't even in production any longer, GM should fix these issue for free.

I have been very patient up until now with all the issues I've had with this vehicle. I don't feel asking GM to warranty an issue that never should have happened in the first place is too much to ask. Can you please let me know what you find out and if you need anymore information on my vehicle, please let me know.
    Good morning,

You should be hearing back from one of my co-workers via email; if you don't please let me know and we'll make sure that it came through for you.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I would love to see a class action law suit! We would never see any money from it but at least GM would have to pay for making such a LEMON! I've emailed them many times just to be told sorry we can't help! So i'm out 2400.00 in transmission repairs plus a crappy car! :sick:
  • Is this bullention a recall? I did not know about this and was never sent a letter from GM regarding this. I've also had my vehicle into GM garages after January 2010 and was not notified about this bullention.
  • hlcole1,

No, it is not a recall, it's only a TSB or a Technical Service Bulletin notifying GM service departments of a known problem and how to deal with it. Judging by the number of posts on just this one forum regarding this well known issue, it make one wonder what it takes to trigger a recall for a potentially dangerous defect.
  • I was sent an email that assured me someone from GM would contact me about my transmission issue, I sent my VIN and all necessary info and have not heard anything. I would really appreciate further assistance and wonder if there is anything more I need to provide, The email said I would be hearing soon and I am still waiting. Thanks for providing this forum to help owners and companies solve problems together.
    Good morning challenger7,

Did you email socialmedia@gm.com, or did you contact a different email address? Either way, if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN I can check to see what's happening.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • 1st Step to a Recall: How to File a Safety Complaint.

While speaking with the Attorney Generals Office, I was told that perhaps the transmission issue faced or facing many Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse owners may be of interest to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That is the agency that decides if a safety issue warrants a recall from the manufacturer.
    Help us all by looking up the following site and filing a safety complaint and tell your story. If enough of us register our tansmission problems, it may eventually lead to a recall of the transmission from GM:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • It's a obvious issue. I just replaced mine at 83,000 k and it wasn't even 4 years four years old. GM did nothing for me! Count me in!! I contacted a lawyer regarding this and it's a real issue but cause my transmission was replaced at a non GM dealer I couldn't get it lemoned under the lemon law. Maybe this will work. Thanks
  • How do you go about trying to get a vehicle lemoned under the lemon law? I thought it had to be in for a certain issue several times? My is currently at a GM garage waiting on an answer about my timing chain or Camshafts being replaced. I am working with GM and the dealership. However, I would be interested in learing more about the lemon law because my vehicle has had everything possible replaced on it. It is an 07 outlook with 104,000 miles on it but since I owned it (bought it in 08 with 17,000) I have had several warrenty fixes and recalls done on it now it's back in the shop with transmission issues. To me, this would certaintly qaulify for a lemon but I am not sure this is even a possibilty seeing the age and mileage of it now.
  • Sorry to say that I don't know. Maybe at least the transmission issues would be part of a recall. You can research that and other complaints on the NTSHA website:
    www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Good luck, let us know if you have any results.
  • I will see if I can round up the firm I dealt with regarding this. It is a issue and they actually contacted me a year ago but at that time I wasn't having issues. My transmission and water pump went at 83,000 mi!ridiculous! Ill try to get you the info. Are you in CA? Cause this firm is....
  • The NTSHA is a federal agency serving all US citizens. You can fill in your information on the website and write a paragragh on as much of the details as possible. It took about 3 minutes to do.
  • My 2008 Outlook is in the shop again! April 2011 my transmission was replaced with supposedly a brand new transmission and now a year and a half later I'm having transmission problems again. I now have 94,500 miles on my car what happens if the transmission goes out again? There should be at least an extended warranty for the transmission, but I'm hearing there isn't. This is my third Saturn (GM) product, but I'm not sure I want to risk buying another in the future once I am able to get out of this one! (which won't be anytime soon)

Another issue I've had is my airbags. I did the recall, but apparantly there was 4 error codes and GM only specified 2 in the recall so the other 2 will have to be fixed at my expense even though I never had problems until the 2 error codes from GM popped up. The airbags have never been deployed but I'm going to have to pay $987 to fix them. That is crazy, to me it sounds like a manufacture defect.

I am very dissapointed in my GM experience!