Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• Well it is New Years, and it has been since Thanksgiving since my 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD brook down due to transmission problem. I got it fix and it cost me $3,000. That's my kids Christmas present rite there. It is sad that GM wouldn't care or do anything to help. My kids were sad because daddy have to spend $3,000 out of broken dad's pocket to get a GM vehicle fixed. My kids were sad because they did not get anything for Christmas. I had contacted GM by phones, emails, and letters. GM and told me to go screw myself. :cry: :mad:

Well, GM could continue doing what they do best. Turn there back on all of us (GM vehicle owner) or they could start doing something rite now, or end up like TOYOTA.

TOYOTA: Lexus LS400 that, in six separate incidents, accelerated on its own and nearly caused several dangerous rear-end collisions.

2008 Saturn Outlook: Same thing happen to my 2008 Saturn Outlook and I call, email, and letter to GM and they told me is not there problem and not enough complaint out there.

Toyota: but with all the issues we've had with Toyota, I would have liked to see them step forward and do the right thing. So many of the letters we've received say, 'Sorry, it's not our fault, it's yours.' "

GM: Letter and phone call to me, " we are sorry to hear that you are having problem with your GM vehicle but we can't help you at this moment ".

Toyota: Payout from Lawsuite :sick:

GM: Payout from Lawsuite, WHEN? : :sick:
  • Please keep me updated. I will sign anything you need to help file a class action. My Saturn outlook has been nothing but problems. My trans slips from time to time and our power steering just went out. Also our nav and DVD player stopped working over a year ago.
  • I have something for all of you to read right on wikipedia look up GM ford trans :cry: mission
  • From Wikipedia:
    General Motors and Ford Motor Company cooperated in 2002 to create a new automatic transaxle, designed for transverse engine applications in cars and light trucks. The companies jointly committed to investing US$720 million in their manufacturing plants to support the new transmission.

Each company will name and manufacture the transmission separately:

Ford builds the 6F50 and 6F55 at their Van [non-permissible content removed] Transmission Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan, and in the future at Sharonville Transmission in Sharonville, Ohio.
    GM builds the 6T70 and 6T75 at Warren Transmission in Warren, Michigan with production starting in July, 2006.[1]

Ford claims the 6F50 is designed to handle 300 hp (224 kW) and 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m), while General Motors rates their 6T70 to 315 hp (235 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) and the 6T75 to 315 hp (235 kW) and 300 lb·ft (407 N·m).

Ford appears not to have made a public statement regarding the 6F55's maximum capabilities, but uses it in AWD in the Taurus SHO with an engine rated at 272 kW (370 PS; 365 hp)and 475 N·m (350 lb·ft) of torque (Final drive 2.77:1).

The first application of the technology is in the 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover SUVs, as well as the Saturn Aura sedan and the Saturn Outlook crossover. It was also used for the Pontiac G6 GTP models and the GMC Acadia models for 2007. Prior to 2009, this transmission had issues caused by a very weak 3,5,R wave plate, which made this transmission prone to failure in GM products. Updated wave plates were released for many clutches in 6T70. The old design wave plates weren’t stress relieved and could break with use.
  • There are three methods you can use to contact the NHTSA if you suspect a safety-related defect in your vehicle. You can take any (or all) of the following actions:

Call the U.S. Department of Transportation's Vehicle Safety Hotline: (888) 327-4236 or (800) 424-9153, toll free from anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
    Report the issue online at the NHTSA's vehicle safety Web site: http://www.safercar.gov/
    Send a letter via U.S. Mail: U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210) 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE Washington, DC 20590
  • There are three methods you can use to contact the NHTSA if you suspect a safety-related defect in your vehicle. You can take any (or all) of the following actions:

Call the U.S. Department of Transportation's Vehicle Safety Hotline: (888) 327-4236 or (800) 424-9153, toll free from anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
    Report the issue online at the NHTSA's vehicle safety Web site: http://www.safercar.gov/
    Send a letter via U.S. Mail: U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210) 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE Washington, DC 20590
  • I purchased my Outlook in 2010, second owner. Well my trans went out 3 days ago (61K miles). I called a local shop to inquire about repair and they recommended that I contact GM to see if it would be covered under warranty. Within 40 minutes of talking to GM, they had a roadside service pick up my car and transfered it to the nearest dealer, Advantage Chevy. Luckily I was covered under my powertrain warranty (which by the way expires 5/30/13). 2 days later and a rental car to boot my car is back! The dealer assured me that GM is taking the initiative to fix this problem. They replaced the waveplate and took care of another recall for the headlight harness. I'm very happy with the service GM provided. Hopefully, I will not have anymore horror stories with this car since I have 2 more years to pay it off. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
  • Well I wish you luck cause that was not the case for me. Transmission went out at 83K and the water pump and power steering. I was 5 mo outside of my warranty and they did nothing. Pretty bad when your dumping thousands of dollars in a car that's not even paid off. ( That doesnt ciunt ghe powertrain leak and recalls its had) My outlook is fully loaded with bells and whistles .... Most money I ever spent on a car and sadly a real disappointing mechanically. New transmissions are only covered a year and its s known issue with this car. Transmission is too small for the weight of this car. I have a year left to pay but I'm dumping it for a Toyota this month. Ill never buy GM again :0( note GM did nothing for me.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    outlook32,
    We're glad to hear that everything has been resolved so well! Take care!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • frs929frs929 Posts: 51
    You were lucky it was still in warranty. Mine was 2 months out and they did NOTHING. You will have more problems I am sure
  • hiya, seems like i'm late to the party. my wife and kids were just out driving with our 07 outlook and the transmission went out on it. reads just like the symptoms i've seen on this thread. wondering what i need to do. we're well under 100k as well. please help.

thank you
    Let GM look at it first. I didnt take it to a dealer and now they say they can't help me because I didn't
    jwilson12,

We're sorry to hear about your transmission! Have you made any progress on this since you posted? If you're planning on working with a dealership, or have any questions about that, please let us know! We can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • br4509br4509 Posts: 4
    Yeah send them all your info so they can say, oh sorry we can't help you.

If you can get rid of your saturn do it! The only way you will get anything out of GM is through a lawsuit!

We are still out 2,000.00 because of bad transmission that ALOT of saturn owners have had same problem.
  • Sarah

Thanks for your response. The dealer looked at it this over the past two days and is recommending a total replacement of the transmission. His original estimate was between 2800 and 3800 and he's now at 4k or more.

My concern is multifold: this isn't a 'hard miles' situation. We are still at 91k miles and are outside of the warranty period but only since July. If we were outside of the mileage I would understand, but this has been a gently driven car - my wife drives the kids to and from school in it and not much more.

We have had a myriad of problems including the headlight issues and airbag issues. The headlight recall came out after we had replaced both sides multiple times. We have an issue with the airbag but the same dealer refuses to even acknowledge that there is a recall out dealing with that system (Recall 01 - ID # 07V062000 - AIR BAGs:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE).

The net is rife with posts about transmission issues. To be honest, the tow truck driver who picked it up identified it as an Outlook and then said 'Transmission go out?' This isn't an uncommon problem and I'm hoping you might be able to help toward a positive resolution. I believe that GM stands behind their products and appreciate whatever help you can be.

Jason

Thanks

Jason
  • The dealer looking at ours wants 4k. Maybe you were lucky they only charged you 2k?

I'm hoping they can see reason here. I don't think that's impossible.
    If its out of warranty GM will do nothing. We had 87000 miles were 2 months beyond the 5 yr warranty. They did nothing for us and we paid $3700 to get the transmission fixed. Good luck
    We would be happy to see what we can do, Jason, but I can't promise anything up front. If you haven't already, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I had mine go at 83k they did nothing! It's a k own problem as I get a notice everyday from anyone like yourself that posts this issue. The waterpump also was going when they got in their to replace the transmission. GM didn't cover anything for me and my car isn't even paid off for another year. Can't wait to unload it before something else goes. Pretty crappy this is a known issue and GM turns their cheek. BTW mine was 5 mo out if warranty and a new transmission is only covered a year.... Pretty guarantee down the line a new one will go to cause their too
    Small for this car. Goodluck!
  • Good luck with the new transmission if you get it. A new transmission sounds great but if it also has the same problem with the 3-5 waveplate you will be back in the same situation again.

April 2011 I had a new transmission put in my 2008 outlook at 63,000 miles. I thought this would resolve the problem but a year and a half later my transmission went out again. Luckily I was still under the powertrain warranty. This time they didn't give me a new transmission. They fixed the 3-5 wave plate and a couple other things.

New in this case is not always better especially if a new transmission has the same problem as the old and if you are out of the powertrain warranty chances are it won't happen again until after the 12 months 12,000 mile warranty.

I also had airbag issues. I had more error codes than GM specified in their recall and they refused to cover them even though the initial errors caused the other errors. I had to end up paying $1,000 for the airbag repairs.

GM customer service was no help to me at all