Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• lookie11lookie11 Posts: 14
    Yup! Power steering pump and of course the cost would have been around $1,300....luckily the dealer rep contacted GM to see if they would assist with the cost (since it was just put in last year) and to my surprise they did assist I ended up paying $371 and thanks GM for stepping up to the plate. Now I'm crossing my finger, toes, eyes everything that this is it for this truck....All seems fine for now on the truck but we'll see.......
  • Funny you mention the water pump. Turns out, my transmission is not what is causing the problems we are having. Took it to another transmission shop to make sure it was in fact the transmission. They hooked it up and the codes came back said it was misfiring. Took to an independent mechanic, and after diagnosing the problem he suggested we take to a dealership. Took to the dealership ($800 later) and have now replaced the three ignition coils and the six spark plugs. The list of repairs continues to grow.

They did replace the shaft seal on the water pump for free - GM has a campaign to replace all those that come in. Might be worth looking into.

Planning on trading this dog in - hopefully soon.

Best of luck!!
  • jerry194jerry194 Posts: 7
    well 2008 trans is out only 2 months after replacing the control module $1,300. no word what the problem is this time. trans was rebuilt at 57k. now have 120k. it seems GM should recognize a problem with these vehicles. doubt i will consider another GM vehicle in my life time.
  • Jeremy, i went through replacing transmissin and numerous other items to have the same problem with my Saturn and now they want $7,000 just for parts for a new engine. That doesn't include labor. GM agreed to pay 1/2, but if the car was done right or diagnosed right the first 5 times as the dealership, I wouldn't have a non-working car. Count your blessing if it is a transmission at this point. The car is not worth $7k+. Good luck.
  • That's awful. We are trading our Saturn in (hopefully today) before we have to deal with any more of this nonsense. I love the stance and style of the Lambda platform models will never ever purchase one again. Best of luck to you all. So sorry everyone is having such an awful time with these vehicles. Seems like GM should at least offer an apology, if not some type of monetary relief.
  • chico53968chico53968 Posts: 9
    Hello-
    Yes nothing but issues with my outlook too and GM did nothing! I dumped mine at 86K after costing me too much to repair a poorly made vehicle! Ill never buy a GM again. I bought a Toyota Sienna and couldn't be happier!!
  • badoutlookbadoutlook Posts: 1
    Well now I fall in the same category as most on this forum. Dealer just informed me that my 3-5 Wave Plate is bad in my 2007 Saturn Outlook with only 77k miles to the tune of $2200.00. Sad that a vehicle can be made with such poor quality products. 23k under the 100k powertrain warranty but 10 months over the 5 yr in service date warranty. I already started a case # with GM but all I get is multiple care representatives emailing me and calling me saying that they are looking into the case and trying to work with the dealer and internal resources to get me a resolution.

How hard is it to start a class action lawsuit? Does anyone have lawyer connections? After reading all these posts, I think there are probably thousands of people just like us who have had to fork out a lot of money to repair a bad quality product.
  • frs929frs929 Posts: 51
    My 07 Outlook had the transmission replaced at 87000 and 2 months beyond the warranty. I didnt take it to GM because when I called they didnt offer to do anything. I paid $3800 and when I talked to GM later they wouldnt do anything. Too cheap to stand behind their products
  • curly156curly156 Posts: 2
    Sarah,
    In May 2012 I had my 2007 Saturn Outlook transmission repaired under the power train warranty (wave plate issue). It had just turned 100k miles. Now right at one year and over the 12k mile transmission warranty it will not go into second gear. Do you think the dealership will give me a break since the repair is just at one year?
  • curly156curly156 Posts: 2
    In May 2012 I had my 2007 Saturn Outlook transmission repaired under the power train warranty (wave plate issue). It had just turned 100k miles. Now right at one year (and a week) and 6k over the 12k mile transmission warranty it will not go into second gear. Do you think the dealership will give me a break since the repair is just at one year? Is there any recourse? Or is it a hard line one year 12k mile replacement warranty on the transmission.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hi curly156,

I am assisting Sarah here on the forum. I can not say whether or not transmission repairs are needed once you've reached 100k miles--each vehicle is different. If you'd like we can certainly reach out to the dealership to get more details about the repair and see what assistance can be offered to you. If you are interested, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com [ATTN Amber or Sarah]. Include your full name, address, VIN, current mileage, and your dealership. We look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • rickinvarickinva Posts: 1
    We have an 08 outlook, 77K miles, but past 5 year service date and this 50-60mph shudder is just starting to develop. Sometimes it is so violent the center armrest shakes like crazy.
  • kix3kix3 Posts: 1
    As a mom, I love the functionality of the inside of this vehicle but can't take the mechanical issues anymore. It's like having the benefits of a minivan without having to drive a minivan. At 24,000 miles - timing issue, removed chains and replaced under warranty, 43,000 miles - cylinder misfire, changed coil #6 57,000 miles - transmission replaced and power steering gear and pump. Still bucking at higher speeds. 59,000 miles found misfire on #6 cylinder (again?) Recommended throttle body cleaning and change air filter. Didn't work, so at 60,000 miles engine light on again - found evaporation problem - changed Solonoid, drove out of service and did not go 1 mile when noticing problem still there so husband drove right back and demanded refund. Had all other recalls done with melted lighting harnesses. Right now it doesn't shift right at higher speeds, the rear A/C blows Hot Air on my kids and the windows do not go up properly. Would love to have it run right and get more miles from it, but after reading this forum I've given up hope. Trading in this month and will never by GM again. Sign me up for the class action suit!
  • fdale63fdale63 Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of upset Saturn Outlook owners. We have had numerous issues from melted light wiring harness which kept blowing bulbs before problem was found, to power steering pump squeal, to faulty sunroof drain which flooded interior, to major electronic issues ( got a call from my wife one day and she told me she was standing outside the car with the keys in her hand but the engine was still running normally after several minutes). Now at 72,644 miles the transmission is gone. Will not shift into anything but 1st gear. Called Customer Assistance and they told me to take it to the nearest authorized dealer, 60 miles and $225 later they now say that I must authorize the shop to tear down the transmission at a cost of $600-$700 dollars before they can let me know if any assistance is available. The only problem is once this is done the dealership will have to do the repair since it will no longer be able to be towed to an independent transmission shop which has quoted a much lower repair estimate. That's my dilemma. Should I gamble that GM may offer some assistance for a reasonably priced repair and if not, get stuck with a $4000 bill? Or should I have it taken to a transmission shop for a $2500-$3000 repair. Any feed back would be appreciated!
    GM will not pay anything if you have it repaired somewhere else. I had a bad transmission at 87000 . Called GM to inquired about my warranty and all they said was we were two months past. Didnt say bring it in and might be able to do something etc. Took it to AAmco the tune of $3800. Tried to get GM to pay some of the cost. As of this date nothing from them. Said if they had a recall they might . I think your best bet is to stay with the dealer and fight them there over the cost. I wish I had .
  • roddy13roddy13 Posts: 1
    I still owe TOO much on my 07 Saturn Outlook, but I would love to get something new. My transmission went out last summer at 1 month over my warrenty at 72000 miles. Now the power steering box is whining, the tire sensor need to be serviced, an engine light is on again for a problem that I have had a recall service done on it before ...... I don't know what to do. GM doesn't car. The old Saturn dealer doesn't care...they sold it to me months before Saturn went under and when it happened they told ,"Oh well". I had to get a new Transmission from GM that was from a Traverse because they don't make after market parts...so it was over $3200 dollars. I don't believe that I will ever buy from GM ever again. :sick:
    Junk it. Not worth the hassle, GM Sucks
  • fkarasfkaras Posts: 14
    i also loved Saturns until i bought a new 2009 outlook by the time i had 6k miles on it,,,,, it had all the issues.................. Now i love Toyota 4 Runner ,, runs like a top i could go to Fl anytime i want to.... I live in Syracuse
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. The transmission busted at 65,000 miles I believe it was because both lines had slow leaks and it ran out of fluid, overheated and broke into pieces. It was covered thank goodness. I never saw the leak and 3 months earlier the fluid was full. As for emissions error messages, I got a zillion. It tuned out to be some emissions valve that was stuck open. This gave my car all kinds of error messages and as a result the automatic start would not work as well. Once it was fixed, the auto start worked again. I also had months and months with the engine light going on and off because of what it said was backfiring. It suddenly just stopped and have had no problems with that since. My latest problem is that the power steering pump is going.(i have 125,000 on my car now) I have to replace it. I have never had to replace a power steering pump before and I have owned a zillion cars. And early on my steering also made some funky noise when I turned it but they said it was nothing. My other issue since about 30,000 miles was something with the suspension in the front on the right side. It makes terrible crunching kind of noises all winter long. They would not fix it. Now its out of warranty. So, your not alone.
  • 2008vuexr2008vuexr Posts: 1
    ::sigh:: I completely feel your pain!!
    I have a 2008 Vue XR- love this bright orange pumpkin of mine!! Bought it Jan 2010 used with 16k miles on it. In the past year to year and a half I started having all sorts of problems- just out of the blue!!
    Battery replaced, wiper motor repaired, exhaust leaks, 2 wheel bearings replaced, cracked windshield washer tank, new brakes, corroded wiper blades, rotted windshield washer hose, new tires, power steering issues, 2 clutch packs broke, transmission completely replaced at 60,000, no heat at times, fan doesn't blow correctly sometimes, automatic locks will lock by themselves while the car is running- a couple people told me they think the ECU has gone bad- and usually the CEL never comes on!!
    I know that some of this stuff is typical at its age, but really?! especially all at the same time #headache!!
    Out of 4 vehicles I have owned, this is my 3rd Saturn- I just love Saturns! I never had this many problems with my other 2 Saturns!!
    I still owe $8500 on the car, but am wondering now if it time to trade in and up for something new.