Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• ppp123ppp123 Posts: 4
    saturnoutlook,

I had similar problem with my Saturn. After two timing chain replacements and many days in the shop, the cylinder heads were replaced. The Chevy service department that you're taking your vehicle to should be contacting GM headquarters in Detroit on this problem. That's what the Saturn and Chevy service departments did in my case.

I am also experiencing similar traction control problems even after the transmission was rebuilt. The problem is that the light does not stay on, so the service department can't determine the problem.
  • Much like your car, my engine has had the timing chain and the cylinder heads replaced. The cylinder head replacement did the trick for about a month, then it all started again.

I also experience the same issue with the traction control. Everytime I bring it to the dealer the light goes out or if kept over night the light does not come on in the morning.

I just wish someone could figure it out.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,083
    jnance1974,

Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    saturnoutlook,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • Thank you for reaching out to me. Please provide me your email and I send you the requested information.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,733
    Click on the member name for their e-mail..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jnance1974jnance1974 Posts: 2
    Yes, it's 71-950495138. It's currently at a Cadillac dealership. Waiting to hear back from them regarding the claim.
    jnance1974,
    It appears your agent was waiting on a diagnosis. Please let me know if you made it in to the dealer and if your agent has followed up with you. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I went to my Chevy dealer to pick up my now repaired Saturn Outlook today. They had the car for about a week, and did a few different repairs, including transmission, check engine light, rear axle noise and traction control light.

Based on the paper work they made the follwing repairs:

Axle - diagnosed bad seal, replaced and road tested

Transmission - road test and check fluid, no other work performed (gues its my immagination the car doesn't shift)

check engine light - caused by rear axle bearing (???)

traction control light - no montion of repair or diagnosis so I guess they figured this was caused by the axle seal

In addition they also state they did a 27 point inspection and road test and that I'm good to go.

Well, after I picked up the car, I managed to make it out of the dealers packing lot before the traction control light came on. I immediately brought it right back to the service department where they all looked at me like I was crazy.

WHY can't anyone fix this piece of JUNK. It appears GM services cars as well as they build them.
  • I have a 2010 Saturn Outlook that I bought with 9000 miles on it. Now at 17k miles on it, it is at the dealer for 2 weeks to fix the transmission / traction control problem. The light kept going on and slowing my car down. The dealer has identified the problem as a broken lever and pin. Here's the issue, the lever was sent in by overnight mail, but the pin is not able to be found at any dealer in the country so they are contacting the manufacturer. Before I bought this vehicle from CarMax, I researched this as best as I could, and didn't see any of these problems for this year, or 09. I love this SUV, it works for our family, and now I am concerned I too have a lemon. It's under mfr warranty so the dealer is paying for the repair work. I did buy the extended warranty and if anyone considers buying a saturn, fork out the extra money for the warranty - I have a feeling I'll be using it in the future. I tried to support our Detroit companies being from Michigan, and I am sorry that the auto makers of US vehicles are not supporting the Americans that do try to buy American. Tell your dealer to look at this possibility. The problem is they will have to tear apart the transmission, and in my case they gave me a crappy chevy rental vehicle that I can't fit my kids in. So, it costs them money and your dealer may not want to work with you. Try a different GM dealer that has a better reputation. The one I'm using in NC SO FAR seems on top of it and are being very professional with me. But 2 weeks without the only family car I own is not easy.
  • See my other post. My 2010 is having traction control issues. In short, the dealer had to tear out my transmission and identified it as a broken lever and pin. A $40 part. It's under warranty, and they are giving me a free crappy rental, but it's 2 weeks at the dealer because the pin cannot be located ANYWHERE in the country. Your dealer will have to be willing to do the work to figure it out. Find another GM dealer, the one that you are using is not being thorough. The one I'm using told me, "something is going on with your transmission and in order to fix it, I have to figure it out first, and that involves 15 hrs of labor to take it apart." I feel he was honest about it and genuinely interested in fixing it and not fully knowing what it could be but he was going to find the problem. Your dealer is not.
  • -shifter cable locks up in cold weather. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -leaking power steering pump. ((not covered under powertrain!)
    -roof leaking when heavy rain is present. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -driver side mirror motor not functioning. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -automatic liftgate malfunction crushes me and my ten month old baby. (not covered under powertrain!) and is the last straw! My patience has ran out with this car. Purchased a year ago with 40000mi and have only put 8000 miles on it. I filed a case with GM and was rejected any cost assistance for the persitant problems. Thank God my son is ok, and i wil be visiting my doctor for my neck and head injury! Any "insight on the outlook"
  • rilespeytrilespeyt Posts: 1
    Our engine light came on prior to receiving word of the timing chain recall. We took it in for a free engine light inspection and they told us it could be a timing chain issue. Since it was a free inspection they weren't able to provide many more details. A short while later we received a letter advising us of the pre-mature timing chain wear. We made an appointment for July 1st to have the work done. The night before taking it in we started having problems with the steering, loud noises under the car. I was called the day they made the repair to advise that the timing had completely failed. I got a call back from the GM dealer stating the timing issue was fixed. There was a list of things that need some attention. The important ones being power steering pump and struts. My wife picked it up, it is bouncing and very hard to steer. I was told the power steering pump failed and struts need to be replaced. My service adviser told me that the strut problem is from them putting it up on the rack possibly stretching them out. (if my car didn't have the recall, it would never have had to be put up on the rack). I am no mechanic but if the there is an issue with the timing, that would in some way impact the steering. Beware of further issues after the work is done on the timing recall.

I have been waiting all day for the Service Manager and General Manger to call me back to decide what they are going to do.
  • fkarasfkaras Posts: 14
    we have a 2009 at 6k timing failed.. eg power steering failed day after they returned car . they put in new rack and pump that works now going back in next week for struts and a transmission whine
    rilespeyt,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    fkaras,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • We have an 07 Outlook. We LOVE driving this car BUT it has been in for endless amounts of work!!! We've had the roof leak....We've had the tailgate malfunction and come down on my head!!!...we've had the Stablitrac malfunction....and powersteering problems...and more.

But now is the kicker!!!!! Our transmission is malfunctioning between 3/4 gear and 5/6 gear it starts jerking, shaking, vibrating the car...no warning lights and it doesn't show up on the computer. The software has been updated too...no fix! They are telling us we need a new transmission...$3500!!!! We don't have that money! For god sakes it's only 4 years old!!!

our dealer is trying to get a response from GM but nothing yet. We CANNOT afford this fix! We've owned a chevy/gm for the past 12 years BUT not our next car UNLESS GM fixes it's problem for us!!!!!
  • We are experiencing the jerking problem....did your's ever get resolved???
    tiredofcarprob,

I apologize for the problems you are now experiencing with the transmission. By chance have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • ommamaommama Posts: 3
    Doesn't the powertrain warranty cover anything? I just looked it up (prob with a 2007 Saturn Outlook) and it goes up to 100K or 5 years. Maybe I am just being hopeful, but.... i want to have some hope.
  • We are at 107000 miles...so just over that warranty :( But this shouldn't be an issue already!!! I swear the computer knows that once you cross the 100000 mile mark it sends signals for the whole car to fall apart!
  • Our GM dealer service department is trying to get a response from GM but they have heard NOTHING...We are in a waiting game. Do you have some one we can contact???
    tiredofcarprob,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved GM dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • Ask the dealership to check your ignition coils. We had to have an ignotion coil replaced on bank 1, there are 6 banks, at about 6,000 miles. I had a check engine light go on and the car started jerking at about 55 mph. It felt almost like the transmiission was slipping. I had it back into the dealership 5-6 times telling them that it was doing the same thing, but since there was no engine light they couldn't diagnosis it. Two weeks ago the engine light came one, they needed to replace the timing chain (this is after I did take it in for the recall). I told them we were driving from Ohio to North Carolina at the end of the week and had to be sure the car was working properly. Of course they said it was running great, no problems. We got to Virginia on Friday at about 9:00pm and you guessed it the engine light came on, and the jerking got really bad! According to OnStar they were unable to diagnosis anything wrong. We kept on to North Carolina and I took it into the OBX dealership there. Ignition coil on bank 2 was bad. So I'm on vacation, spent 1/2 a day at the dealership. I had been telling them for months the car was having this problem! I've also had a leaky steering cable that was supposed to be fixed and it sounds like the steering is winding again. I only have 3500 miles left under the warranty and am very frustrated. If there are 6 banks of ignition coils, it looks like I'll be paying for the next 4!! Everything I've read said these are something that should have a long life. I do no consider 6,000 or 30,000 miles a long life! This experience has made me reconsider American made cars!! I don't haer any complaints from my fried who has been driving her Toyota now for 210,000 miles!
    mmgood27,

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your vehicle. Please keep me posted if you have any further problems.

Thank you,
  • ommamaommama Posts: 3
    I just want to say, for the record, our experience with our 2007 Saturn Outlook has been a pleasant one. It has 80K+ miles on it, we have had it for 3 years, and we had not had a problem... until now. The transmission went out. 3/4 gear issues followed by the reverse function going out. I took it to our local GM dealership which has been wonderful, fixing it, falls under my powertrain warranty. No cost to me. Am I inconvenienced? Yes. Was I angry when it happened? Sure. But am I happy with how it has been handled? Very.
    ommama,

I am very happy to hear everything has been taken care of at no charge to you! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
  • We bought our Outlook about 3 years ago and was used. The previous owner had the foresight to unload it at 25,000 miles before much went wrong. We have has many repairs...so many that we now send it to the shop to get one problem fixed but constantly have to run with at least one or more continuing problems. Just spent $500 to replace water pump and thermostat. The 2 current problems I still have is a tire pressure gauge is out and the struts are shot. Before that the pistons on the lift gate went out. Before that we replace the power steering pump and a few other things I cannot remember but it was around $1200. Then shortly after that repair we took it into a Government Motors dealership and they came up with nearly $3000 in repairs but they were nice enough to get GM to pay for that round. The vehicle has 87000 miles and has cost me more money than any vehicle I have ever owned. I have a Civic with 130000 miles and my repair costs are very small. This will be my last GM ever.
  • mruffinimruffini Posts: 14
    I have 45k miles on my 2007 Saturn. My extended warranty runs out next March...I plan on dumping the car in March because it's a piece of crap......it's too bad,we actually like the design of the car and the features/seating, but GM's quality sucks.
    mruffini,
    Are you currently experiencing concerns with your vehicle? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service