Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• sugaplummsugaplumm Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Ok...now I'm worried:-( I just purchased a 2008 Saturn like 2 wks ago. I had to take it in for a restraint system recall...I was ok with that...& was still in love with it. But last nite I noticed it shifting differently. As I backed into my driveway, I noticed the vehicle started to jerk a little. I figured that was bc I was backing uphill...didn't really worry. Well today, I went outta town. While traveling, I noticed it shifted weird, sluggish and hard by the time it reached the last gear change. This of course got my attention. And now when I back into my driveway, it jerks:-( I've been on the phone with my dealership quite often as of late bc of minor issues, which could be expected with a used vehicle. But now, a transmission? It's not even a month old for me! Did any of you have the same symptoms? :cry:
  • I just bought a 2008 Outlook and my problems sound just yours! I have had it less than a month and my transmission is REALLY making me worry. It seems to get worse every time I drive it. My next step is to call the dealership and see what the warranty will cover. Good luck to you!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    edited August 2011
    sugaplumm & browneyez1978,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I've read your posts and can relate to all of them. I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook that I purchased new. Since about 2,000 miles after buying it we have had nothing but problems. We would get messages "Service Stabilitrac, Service Traction Control, Service Brake System" and everytime we took it in, the dealership could never find a problem. But magically after the bumper to bumper warranty was up they found an issue. The brake fluid sensor was sending out a wrong code. $300 fix. 2,000 miles after that guess what, all the same issues again. Took it to the dealership again. This time the entire brake master cylinder needed replaced. $500+ fix. 2,000 miles after that guess what, all the same issues again, this time with addition of a check engine light. Car has been at the dealership since friday Aug 26. We got a call saying that the Cam Shaft Position Sensor was causing it and causing misfire codes. Dont know what the fix will be this time, but hopefully its covered under the powertrain warranty because we cant afford another temporary "FIX". I have dealt with GM Customer Assistance before because of what I feel this car to be a LEMON. They have helped us out a little, but what are they really gonna do for one person. I will never get back what I paid for the car so my only option is to get rid of this lemon after this next fix or get a lawyer and go after the lemon law. Long time GM supporter, but after this nightmare i'll be looking at another brand.
  • Got the car back today witth the latest "FIX". The Intake Manifold Tuning Valve was replaced under the factory powertrain warranty. Glad to have it back wiithout money out of my pocket. Now time to get it polished up and ready for a trade in!!!
  • I just purchased a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR and love the inside and 3rd row seating. ( about a month ago) However, I am noticing some things that concern me;

When I have the car in drive, and am on a slight incline, the car rolls back like it is in neutral.

I put the car in park on a hill, and noticed a loud sort of grinding noise.

When I am backing up, i have to keep tapping the gas pedal to go back, when I take my foot off, it rolls forward.

When I put it in park, it always rocks back and forth.

The temp gauge is always wrong, it will say it is 101 out when it is 92!

I test drove the car with the dealer, and asked them about this, and they said they would have the transmission and temp gauge checked. They delivered the car, and said everything was fine. I had a Olds Bravada before this, and just chalked it up to being a different car, therefore a different ride, but now I am starting to wonder. Any advice?
  • 35763576 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR. I bought it used with 35,000 miles on it. Love the interior and exterior of the vehicle. I have 3 children and it works great for my family. OK, here is what is happening with my vehicle: Service Stabilitrac, Traction Control off, Service Traction Control warning lights are coming on. When I drive up hill, I hear a grinding noise. I have taken the vehicle to a GM dealer. They could not figure out why the lights were coming on, but told me that my oil needed changed, it was very dirty. It wasn't even time for an oil change. They told us that if the lights came on again to bring it back in. On the way home from the dealerships the lights came on again, so we took it back in to the dealership. They said they would need to order a part, but we have not heard from them since. I have been driving my vehicle with the Service warning lights on for about 3-4 weeks. When I take it back in to get the new part put on, if it doesn't get fixed, I am going to take it to another dealer. I am planning on keeping it in the shop until it gets fixed. I'll keep you posted on what happens. I am also going to contact GM Customer Service, apparently this is a common problem that many owners are facing.
  • Thank you for the reply, and please let me know what happens. I feel the same way about my Saturn , i love the interior and exterior, and hope that there is not a serious problem. good luck!

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation. By chance have you contacted the dealership directly to see if the part is in? Please keep me posted with any information.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you and have a great weekend,
  • After years of headaches, our Outlook is gone!!! Sold to Carmax who gave us the best price. Used the money to buy a car from a different brand. Sorry GM, but you left a bad taste in our mouth and lost another customer.
  • I own a 2009 Outlook and have started to experience more problems than expected. I love the car's look and features but some of the nuisances have turned into real issues. The car at about 60k miles started to hesitate, jerk and gear hunt at highway speeds. Took it in after researching the issue and found that the there was a TSB for this problem. It required a computer update and should alleviate the problem. The dealer applied the fix but within a week the car was back to the jerkiness. Now at about 63k miles, I've had a complete transmission failure. Just this week, the car would just rev and never get into a higher gear. It was no longer driveable. Dealer said that the transmission needed to be replaced vs fixed. I've previously had the timing chain replace but were going to recheck it since the engine and transmission were out. Again, I like the car and can deal with the inconvenience since I have been given a loaner car. However, I'm just concerned with what the future holds assuming this round is fixed successfully. I've owned GM cars all my life and this is the first one I have had issues with at this level. Hopefully, the dealership van make the repairs successfully.
    ljandbucket,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the transmission. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • I have had nothing but trouble out of my 2008 Saturn Outlook! The transmission has been repaired three times and every time I get a song and dance from the dealership. I am glad to know that we are not the only ones!! I believe this make and model of car is a lemon!!! Every time someone asks me about how I like my car, I sound off!!! I have always brought Hondas and this time I did not. Boy did I get duped! It is sad to have to rent a car for a trip when you pay a 500. a month car note because you are scared your car will stop at some point. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!!!! Definitely disappointed.
  • i had a 2009 saturn outlook until today 9-20-11 traded it in for a new toyota 4 Runner,,going on a trip friday to VA, from SYR, now i feel i will make it back to Syr....My Outlook had 23K miles and the transmission whines like a sewing machine.,,,,,,,, the first year i owned it , At 6K the timing chain failed ,eg ,3 weeks to change motor. month 8 at 9K the electronics burned out could not shut of ignition or remove key had to disconnect battery, another week in shop
  • Dealer had to order a new transmission however they are on backorder and the earliest one will be shipped is 9/26. I've already been without the car for over a week. At this point it may be another 2 before I have it back.
  • How sad! The first time we had a transmission problem we were without our Saturn for a month. They gave us a rental, but it was a smaller car. We have had transmission problems 4 times. Just stopped on me again. This is a sad situation, these cars have engine issues. Otherwise, I love the look and capacity.....but who cares about that when the car always has an issue. And for support from GM...I have gotten none. Gonna cut my losses on this one and go back to a HONDA!!
  • I know how you feel. I have a 2007 outlook with 65,000 miles on it, lov eth size of th ecar but have had nothing but problems. Everything you mention sounds familiar, transmission problems (whines, slow to shift), check engine light (keeps coming on, particularly after raining or on cold mornings), traction control light, (comes on every morning, stays on for the first few miles). I have been to two different Saturn dealers, and two chevy dealers. No one can fix it.
    Most of the repairs have been under warranty, but the last one wasn't, they replaced an ignition coil, for about $250. Lasted about a month, then the check engine light came back on. Brought it back, made the same replacement this one lasted about a week. I now trying to get back in to have it replaced once again.

I usually keep my car for many years, but I'm thinking its time for this one to go. :lemon:
    saturnoutlook,
    I apologize you are still experiencing concerns . Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Please feel free to email me back with any updates since we last spoke.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • If GM was really sorry about everyones issues with this lemon of a car, they would issue some sort of recall. We all know they wont though! Even people I have talked to on the street who have an Outlook have stated the same problems posted on here. There is obviously and issue with this car. It's not just the Outlook either. The GM Acadia and Buick Enclave are the same vehicle and have the same issues. Be smart and get rid of the car as soon as possible, I did!
    ljandbucket,
    Can you please send me your contact information, VIN, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service