Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Xterra 4WD Problems

tmcg3tmcg3 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Nissan
When I make a tight turn at low speed in "D" my '04 begins to grind as it tries to get into 4wd. I have to engage the 4wd and then take it out. Anyone ever hear of this issue?

Comments

• firehaz1firehaz1 Member Posts: 16
    Just picked up my '08 last night and was reading manual. It says only engage 4wd when going straight. Hope this is what you were looking for.
  • s84kams84kam Member Posts: 1
    i will be purchasing a 2009 manual xterra and i was wondering if the clutches for the 09 still has the pre mature wear.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I don't think Nissan has re-engineered the clutch. It's a weird situation, where some owners of Frontiers and Xterras have had no trouble and others have. I drive an '06 Frontier 6-Speed and have had no trouble with my clutch, but I have only 20,000 Miles on it.
  • rfsmith77rfsmith77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra with a standard transmission. While highway driving at 55-70mph the accelerator/transmission disengages and allows no acceleration. I have to pull the car to the side of the road, reset it to Park, then Drive, in order to be able to drive again. Obviously, this is very dangerous in highway traffic. What is the problem? Can it be fixed?

Thank you for your help. This is a very scary situation for for my wife and me.
  • ski9ski9 Member Posts: 4
    In 4wd on snowy roads at about 4wd, the vehicle jerks and it feels like the clutch has been pressed and released. Anyone else have this issue or know if this is a tranfer case problem? Still have the drive-train warranty but am hesitant to take it to the dealer because I don't trust my local one.
This discussion has been closed.