Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
I have a 2007 MAZDA 6 I bought new last spring. I have changed the oil 3 times since new and have 11,000 miles on the car. My 7th and last MAZDA. The engine went bad. Bad knocking. Without even looking at the inside of the engine Mazda refuses to honor the warranty because, GET THIS CRAP, they require the VIN number and milage to be on the Auto Zone receipts from when I bought the oil and filters! Who has that? I will send anyone who wants a copy of the letter of rejection from MAZDA NORTH AMERICA Inc.,

Comments

• jbahjbah Member Posts: 23
    I have an '04 M6s that has been using a lot of oil. After two years of complaining about it, Mazda finally did an oil consumption test. They have confirmed that the car is using 1.5-2 Qts every 1500 miles. I am wondering if anyone with a similar problem has posted. I looked around but couldn't find. The service guy told me they may want to replace the engine! I am not sure I want this car back after that ordeal. I already had the clutch redone (29K), the seat replaced, two fan modules, sunroof seal, window track adjustments, reverse light switch, and a few other things. I am not happy about this car after a mere 40k miles or so. Anyone have a similar experience?
  • jkeef2jkeef2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2006 M6 with 32000 miles. on my way home from work the engine started to knock. The dealer drained my oil said that there was only 1.5 quarts in the engine and that the repair would not be covered under warrenty. So I am stuck with a blown engine that will cost $5500. There are many others out there that have had the same fate as me. Most have stated that the pcv valve malfunctioned and vacumed oil out of the engine.
    WHAT!! what do you mean "not covered"? I would get a lawyer and get your money back. I have the feeling this is another secret that no one is talking about like my clutch issue. If I didn't have the ear I have, I wouldn't have checked my oil either. But, I could just tell when the car needed oil. I was consistently over a 1.5 qt short between my oil changes. I would love to know how big this problem really is. M6S a :lemon:?
    I am going to continue to fight with Mazda until they pay for this or give me proof that it is indeed neglect. They are considering the lack of oil as neglect.. They seem to think that there is no way that any part of the engine could break and consume the oil. I have all receipts as "required" for warranty. The owners manual states that the "owner should check the oil every time they get gas". Realistically it comes down to the word "should". I have done all work on the car myself and it has never used any oil until now.
    that's crazy, who in their right mind is going to check their oil every time they get gas? regardless, no car I ever owned in my 20 years driving has a car EVER used so much oil. How can it burn that much oil?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Back in the olden days ;) when all gas stations were actually full-service stations, the attendant would check the oil and wash the front and back windshields while the gas was pumping into the tank. This happened with every fill-up. :)

But I agree, it seems far-fetched that jkeef2's engine could have burned THAT much oil - let us know what happens.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    They are considering the lack of oil as neglect. I have done all work on the car myself...

Are they really saying the neglect was that you did not notice it had somehow lost 3 quarts of oil, or are they maybe claiming you did something wrong when servicing it yourself, that caused the oil loss?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    2.3L or 3.0L?
    2.3L Check out link title they have and owners forum that discusses many different problems with the mazda6.">link title
    2.3L has a reputation for reliability. Very few issues. Oil consumption is uncommon.
    link title read before you judge. It seems common enough to me.
    It is only common if you fail to keep perspective.
    There are NOT numerous posts on Mazda6Club complaining about oil consumption.
    Mechanical problems occur to a degree with every type of automobile, however, while Mazda is not the best nor the worst, oil consumption with the 2.3L is uncommon.
    In the small group that is on the web site there are a note worthy amount. yes I agree that all automobiles have fault that was never the issue. while the group may huge there are enough people who do service and take care of there cars that still have issues. I don't know where you get your information from. I would like to know. Are you an automobile expert or just some one who reads car and driver for all there reference material.
    Are you an automobile expert or just some one who reads car and driver for all there reference material.

Now, that's funny. :D
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Toyota is regarded at the most reliable brand in the world. Toyota also is the leader in engines that cause engine sludge and causes engines to blow, and Toyota will not cover these engines. This group is in the tens of thousands, where as the 2.3L oil consumption issue is a hand full of people. Take that as you may. Every vehicle has issues, no matter who makes it.

What year is your 2.3? I have a 2005 2.3 with 33K, no issues of anykind.
    06 32k bought new 14 months ago.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Refresh my memory...is your local dealer helping you out? If not, I would push for them to call their district service rep. and have them tell him/her what is going on. This is a rare circumstance for this engine.
    I have talked to the dealer, the factory service rep. and mazda customer service and none of them can even see my point of view as far as what a warranty is and what should be covered. I asked if there was a regional factory rep. or someone higher up the chain that would be willing to take a look at the issues with my car. The customer service rep. told me that there was no one higher than the factory district rep. who made the call as to what would be done. I find it hard to believe that the district rep. doesn't have a boss.
    Check the warranty manual closely. I believe there is a arbitration clause/procedure for warranty disputes.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    This seems like it should be an easy case. If you have the receipts showing regular oil changes, I'm not sure how they can claim neglect? HOw many miles before had you changed the oil?

Stupid question...Does the Mazda 6 have a "low Oil" light?
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    This is very unfortunate. Stay after them. I think the thing to be taken from this is just let the dealer perform all maintenance and oil changes till the warranty expires. That way the negligence if any would be the dealer's problem or some catastrophic engine which they would more likely have to replace. Just my .02.
    Mazda is replacing my motor,,,go figure. Haven't got an answer as to why yet, but I'll keep you posted. :mad:
    I'll disagree with you on this one. The lesson is to get the maintenance done and keep all receipts (which the OP did).

Oil changes are easy to do and lots of people like to do it themselves. And are quite capable. Many owner's manuals even have detailed instructions on how to do it. If you do it yourself, keep all receipts and keep track of the date changed in the owners manual. Dated receipts along with oil analysis can resolve any questions.

This sounds like Mazda trying to play hardball and not foot the $5000 bill.
    Congratulations! I would keep after them for an explanation to the problem.
    What do you save by changing your own oil? Maybe $10 per change? I'd rather avoid the risk of a hassle, should a problem occur, and let the dealer do the changes.
    It's not about whether the owner can change his/her own oil. It's about your position vs. the dealer/mfg. if there is an oiling problem during the warranty period.
    I would have to agree. The Mazda 6 I have has a low oil pressure light. One would think that a low amount of oil in the engine would also cause the light to come on. The light never came on so this tells me that the engine should have had adequate oil for lubrication. Mazda told me that there was no correlation between the two.
    I agree about changing it on your own but there are people who like to work on their own car. Plus for some people saving $10 is important. Anyone can correctly learn to change the oil in their car which is why some manufacturers include directions in the owner's manual. It's in my 2004 Quest manual. I have changed it on my 2000 Intrigue several times until I realized it saved me time just getting it done at my local Monroe Muffler. Personally, dealership charge too many hours and too much for labor. I hate paying for a tire rotation when they are performing an inspection.

Again the key thing is to do the maintenance and keep receipts and there should not be a problem. An oil analysis can determine if the oil still has its lubricating properties which is all that matters in this case as there is something obviously wrong with the OP vehicle.
    It's kinda hard to do an oil analysis when the dealer drains the oil and then refills with new oil. I have no idea if they discarded the oil or what. I don't think that they sent it for analysis because they had made a determination on my car the next day. To all Mazda owners make sure that your documentation is proper. I was told that writing the information down in a note book is not what they deem as proper. My receipts are from a local service shop so they couldn't throw this wild card at me.
    You also need your receipts showing you purchased the oil and filter.
    Plus for some people saving $10 is important.

Well, what're they doing buying a new car, then :confuse: ;) .

Dealerships here are often (perhaps with a coupon) less expensive than independents or chains for oil changes.
    Plus for some people saving $10 is important.

Well, what're they doing buying a new car, then :confuse: ;) .

Dealerships here are often (perhaps with a coupon) less expensive than independents or chains for oil changes. I typically pay $18-25, after taxes and fees are added in, for dealer oil changes.
    Well, what're they doing buying a new car, then .

How un-American, jeffy!!! Credit is what makes this country great. :)

Plus we wouldn't have forums like "I owe more then my car is worth....." on Edmunds if people listened to this advice. And that would just ruin all my fun.
    My Honda dealer charges me $10 to change the oil and filter. I provide the Mobil 1 oil and filter to the dealer. Oil is best changed hot and i'm not going to hurt myself for $10. " I love me some me." T.O.
  • lefthandmanlefthandman Member Posts: 47
    What do you save by changing your own oil? Maybe $10 per change? I'd rather avoid the risk of a hassle, should a problem occur, and let the dealer do the changes.

Sometimes it isn't about the money. I get personal satisfaction out of changing my own oil and filter. I know someone who's car recently threw a rod because the technician who changed the oil shorted the engine by several quarts.

The old adage "If you want it done right, do it yourself" has some truth to it...as does "to each his own"

Happy motoring, and "Zoom, zoom"!
    After doing the rounds with Mazda and getting nowhere I fixed the car myself. It ended up being 2 spun rod bearings. The total fix cost me $75 and 3 hours work. Then I traded the pile of junk in. Even swap on a Dodge work truck with a lifetime powertrain warranty.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I guess one more reason NOT to change the oil myself....

I would have to sue myself in this scenario :sick:
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2007 MAZDA 6 I bought new last spring. I have changed the oil 3 times since new and have 11,000 miles on the car. My 7th and last MAZDA. The engine went bad. Bad knocking. Without even looking at the inside of the engine Mazda refuses to honor the warranty because, GET THIS CRAP, they require the VIN number and milage to be on the Auto Zone receipts from when I bought the oil and filters! Who has that? I will send anyone who wants a copy of the letter of rejection from MAZDA NORTH AMERICA Inc.,
    That stinks.

I always use the dealer for oil changes during warranty, just to avoid any potential hassle in case of a problem, such as you are experiencing. For $20-25 per oil change, it is cheap "insurance".
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I haven't read the fine print in the manual but do you know if it says anything about doing that? If not, not how they expect you to document an oil change like that since it's over and above what the average person does when they get their oil changes. Most quick lubes put the license plate number on the reciept. Wouldn't that suffice?

I would consider talking to a lawyer for an opinion, then checking out your states small claims process. Some states go up to $5000 for small claims which should more than cover a new engine.
  • rogerl1rogerl1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in Quebec, and i scrap my engine because my filter cracked ouside. Mazda don't want to honnor my warany because i missed 2 the 2 last oil change.

Is your situation as benn solved.

do you have a copy of this letter of rejection.
  • femlawonefemlawone Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2007 Mazda 6 5sp on July 30, 2007. I had 1 oil change at 5000 per the dealership. I had the dealership change the oil. At about 7000 heard a slight noice but I wasn't concerned. At 8500 it got loud as if I had bearings loose. The dealership told me told that the engine is bad (like your Mazda) and it is the 3rd engine they've seen so far w/this problem. They are concerned that this is turning into a epidemic and they are going to call Mazda. I don't know if this is going to help you but maybe this problem may be turning into a recall on their engines. They are going to replace my engine because it is under warranty and because I had my oil change done at the dealership.
    Which engine is it, the V6 or the I4?
    I4
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
    Thank you so much. I'll keep this for my suit.
    You're welcome. Good luck. When I get my car back (hopefully this Friday) I'll let you know if I find anything else out.
    I found out what happen to the engine today when I picked up my car...according to the dealership. They said the engine was down 3 quarts of oil, bits of metal in the oil BUT there wasn't any leaks or anything else wrong with the motor from what they can tell at the dealership. My oil light did not go on either to let me know I was low on oil and I was not due for oil change for another 2000 miles (they recommend every 5000 I go every 4000). They can't explain why this happened and they talked to Mazda and Mazda has no explanation for this either. The two previous Mazda that they replaced the motors on were Mazda 6's with the same motor as mine, I4, but they were automatics. One had 37k and one had 3500. When I was picking mine up they were in the process of replacing another motor in another Mazda (I don't know what type of Mazda I just saw in the shop and the service manager mentioned it to me). I hope this helps.
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Greetings,

I am sorry to hear about the engine problems here--hope you can resolve them satisfactorily.

I have a 2006 Mazda6 S (V6) sedan, which I bought used about a year ago. With the recent cold weather, I have noticed a "burning" odor when using the HVAC to keep the car warm for periods of 45 minutes or more. The odor reminds me of burning oil, but there is no smoke and it doesn't appear that I am losing oil. The smell seems to come through the HVAC vents when the fan is on.

Is this normal? Any recommendations to get the odor to go away?

Thanks much!

Greg
  • camarillobrillcamarillobrill Member Posts: 44
    sounds like a just a really lousy local dealer. I have been working for mazda as a tech for over 20 years and I have never heard of such a thing. My particular dealer I work for at present is too generous IMO. They give away engines like nobody's business. We have a car in the shop right now that has a cold air/aftermarket intake setup that sucked up water during recent rainstorm. The configuration of the intake was very low and made it easy for the water to get in. Physics took care of the rest.....
    Dont take NO for an answer- keep calling mazda. I have seen a few 2.3's launch for no apparent reason too.
  • mazda6ownermazda6owner Member Posts: 3
    Racefan and Femlawone, I own a '07 Mazda 6 and had a strikingly identical problem with my engine.

In a nutshell: Days prior to taking the vehicle into the dealership to find out the source of the rattling noise, they (the dealership) had changed the oil and completed a routine general inspection of the vehicle without any issues. Two weeks later the rattling noise appeared. I took it into the dealership immediately to have the issue inspected. When I picked it up, they said they weren't sure what the source of the problem was. They told me they replaced a piece and that the warranty covered it. The problem seemed to dissapear, until somewhere between 3-5 thousand miles later the rattling noise came back. Ironically enough, a couple of days after the noise came back and I was on my way to the dealership to get an oil change and get the rattling noise looked into, the engine busted in the middle of the freeway! After it was towed away and inspected by a dealership, they told me it was missing oil. The service dept. said it was my fault, not theirs and that they would not cover the cost for an engine replacement. Mazda also disclaimed any fault.

I am becoming aware of several other Mazda 6 owners who have had the same experience. Racefan, what are you currently doing to resolve your situation?