Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    This is very unfortunate. Stay after them. I think the thing to be taken from this is just let the dealer perform all maintenance and oil changes till the warranty expires. That way the negligence if any would be the dealer's problem or some catastrophic engine which they would more likely have to replace. Just my .02.
  • jbahjbah Posts: 23
    Mazda is replacing my motor,,,go figure. Haven't got an answer as to why yet, but I'll keep you posted. :mad:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'll disagree with you on this one. The lesson is to get the maintenance done and keep all receipts (which the OP did).

Oil changes are easy to do and lots of people like to do it themselves. And are quite capable. Many owner's manuals even have detailed instructions on how to do it. If you do it yourself, keep all receipts and keep track of the date changed in the owners manual. Dated receipts along with oil analysis can resolve any questions.

This sounds like Mazda trying to play hardball and not foot the $5000 bill.
    Congratulations! I would keep after them for an explanation to the problem.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    What do you save by changing your own oil? Maybe $10 per change? I'd rather avoid the risk of a hassle, should a problem occur, and let the dealer do the changes.
    It's not about whether the owner can change his/her own oil. It's about your position vs. the dealer/mfg. if there is an oiling problem during the warranty period.
  • jkeef2jkeef2 Posts: 11
    I would have to agree. The Mazda 6 I have has a low oil pressure light. One would think that a low amount of oil in the engine would also cause the light to come on. The light never came on so this tells me that the engine should have had adequate oil for lubrication. Mazda told me that there was no correlation between the two.
    I agree about changing it on your own but there are people who like to work on their own car. Plus for some people saving $10 is important. Anyone can correctly learn to change the oil in their car which is why some manufacturers include directions in the owner's manual. It's in my 2004 Quest manual. I have changed it on my 2000 Intrigue several times until I realized it saved me time just getting it done at my local Monroe Muffler. Personally, dealership charge too many hours and too much for labor. I hate paying for a tire rotation when they are performing an inspection.

Again the key thing is to do the maintenance and keep receipts and there should not be a problem. An oil analysis can determine if the oil still has its lubricating properties which is all that matters in this case as there is something obviously wrong with the OP vehicle.
  • jkeef2jkeef2 Posts: 11
    It's kinda hard to do an oil analysis when the dealer drains the oil and then refills with new oil. I have no idea if they discarded the oil or what. I don't think that they sent it for analysis because they had made a determination on my car the next day. To all Mazda owners make sure that your documentation is proper. I was told that writing the information down in a note book is not what they deem as proper. My receipts are from a local service shop so they couldn't throw this wild card at me.
    You also need your receipts showing you purchased the oil and filter.
    Plus for some people saving $10 is important.

Well, what're they doing buying a new car, then :confuse: ;) .

Dealerships here are often (perhaps with a coupon) less expensive than independents or chains for oil changes.
    Plus for some people saving $10 is important.

Well, what're they doing buying a new car, then :confuse: ;) .

Dealerships here are often (perhaps with a coupon) less expensive than independents or chains for oil changes. I typically pay $18-25, after taxes and fees are added in, for dealer oil changes.
    Well, what're they doing buying a new car, then .

How un-American, jeffy!!! Credit is what makes this country great. :)

Plus we wouldn't have forums like "I owe more then my car is worth....." on Edmunds if people listened to this advice. And that would just ruin all my fun.
    My Honda dealer charges me $10 to change the oil and filter. I provide the Mobil 1 oil and filter to the dealer. Oil is best changed hot and i'm not going to hurt myself for $10. " I love me some me." T.O.
  • What do you save by changing your own oil? Maybe $10 per change? I'd rather avoid the risk of a hassle, should a problem occur, and let the dealer do the changes.

Sometimes it isn't about the money. I get personal satisfaction out of changing my own oil and filter. I know someone who's car recently threw a rod because the technician who changed the oil shorted the engine by several quarts.

The old adage "If you want it done right, do it yourself" has some truth to it...as does "to each his own"

Happy motoring, and "Zoom, zoom"!
  • After doing the rounds with Mazda and getting nowhere I fixed the car myself. It ended up being 2 spun rod bearings. The total fix cost me $75 and 3 hours work. Then I traded the pile of junk in. Even swap on a Dodge work truck with a lifetime powertrain warranty.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I guess one more reason NOT to change the oil myself....

I would have to sue myself in this scenario :sick:
  • I have a 2007 MAZDA 6 I bought new last spring. I have changed the oil 3 times since new and have 11,000 miles on the car. My 7th and last MAZDA. The engine went bad. Bad knocking. Without even looking at the inside of the engine Mazda refuses to honor the warranty because, GET THIS CRAP, they require the VIN number and milage to be on the Auto Zone receipts from when I bought the oil and filters! Who has that? I will send anyone who wants a copy of the letter of rejection from MAZDA NORTH AMERICA Inc.,
    That stinks.

I always use the dealer for oil changes during warranty, just to avoid any potential hassle in case of a problem, such as you are experiencing. For $20-25 per oil change, it is cheap "insurance".
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    I haven't read the fine print in the manual but do you know if it says anything about doing that? If not, not how they expect you to document an oil change like that since it's over and above what the average person does when they get their oil changes. Most quick lubes put the license plate number on the reciept. Wouldn't that suffice?

I would consider talking to a lawyer for an opinion, then checking out your states small claims process. Some states go up to $5000 for small claims which should more than cover a new engine.