Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

Comments

• ziggy68ziggy68 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mazda6i, My car developed a disturbing knocking / rattling noise at about 65,000 miles. I just got the car back from the dealer, but the sound has not been fixed. After a week in the shop, they replaced a belt tensioner, water pump, the serpentine belt, fuel injector cleaning, oil change and the car still knocks. They now say the noise must be internal and want authorization ($$$) to tear down the engine to find the source of the problem. Since the warranty has expired, I am not inclined to foot the bill to have the dealer break all of the original seals, head gasket, oil pan, etc. so they can fish for the unknown knocking noise. If anyone else with the 4 cyl engine has been able to fix their knocking problem, please explain what was done.
  • enterthe6enterthe6 Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Mazda 6 and love this car. Today I tried to start it and it would not start. the radio and lights went on so i didn't think it was the battery. I noticed while trying to start the engine the speedometer gauges jumped. I can hear the clicking as i tried to start it. Do you think this is a starter or a alternator issue? I'm bout to bring to a dealer and afraid they will try to convince me that all these other parts needs to be fixed that not related to the problem. I just want to be sure on what the problem with my car before i bring it in.. Please advise.. thanks
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    If the gauges jumped when you tried to start it, I wouldn't rule out the battery just yet, since the gauge-jumping seems to be a common symptom of a dead battery on the Mazda6. It is also possible for the battery to have enough juice for the radio and lights, but be too weak to start (which takes a considerable more amount of amps).

Try and start the car with the headlights on, if they dim considerably (or go out completely), then it's the battery. You can also take the battery to an auto parts store that can test it to see if it's the problem.

I doubt it's the alternator, since the engine actually has to be running for it to affect the electrical system. My next guess, after the battery, would be the starter.
  • milkman1milkman1 Posts: 80
    You just described what happened to my 03 Mazda 6 back in 07. Sounds like that's how long the original battery will last. Depending on your situation you may want to call the dealer and ask about it still being under warranty as the warranty is longer than the rest of the car if you read it. It's prorated. In my case, the dealer price was so high that the proration didn't offset the cost so I just got a battery at Sears. Only trick is the alarm hasn't been right since. No biggie though, the alarm just goes off when I open my trunk if I locked my doors with the remote beforehand
  • bensdiskbensdisk Posts: 1
    well im just about like some others about the oil becomming low but my engine blew. i need to replace it any ideas where to get one in michigan for a good
    price. plus i have to have it installed i live by howard city

thanx
  • mschellermscheller Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Mazda 6 and love this car. Today I tried to start it and it would not start. the radio and lights went on so i didn't think it was the battery. I noticed while trying to start the engine the speedometer gauges jumped. I can hear the clicking as i tried to start it. Do you think this is a starter or a alternator issue? I'm bout to bring to a dealer and afraid they will try to convince me that all these other parts needs to be fixed that not related to the problem. Also, I've already installed a new battery, and the symptoms are still the same. I just want to be sure on what the problem with my car before i bring it in...Any advice? Thanks.
  • andcalandcal Posts: 2
    Hey Thatguy,

I hope your problem has been fixed.

I started hearing a noise in my Marza6i as yours. In my case, the problem was related to the speed and it started knocking when reach 60m/h.

My problem has been fixed. It was the plastic tray, under the engine that was loose and tapped to the road, making a really weird noise.

Good luck,
    Andcal
  • I have the same car... my engine started 'tapping' at about 75000 miles, and it only does so after 2500 RPMs. i took it to the dealer for diagnosis and they had no idea, they wanted to put a whole new engine in it, $7000. i think the car is only worth about 9000. ive taken it to several smaller shops and no one seems to want to work on it, its an 'exotic' engine. one guy told me that they are build pretty well and when you hear a noise coming from the engine, its usually too late to save it. im trying to find something to add to the engine to quiet it down long enough for me to trade it in!!
    how is it going for your car?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    The 2.3L I4 is "exotic", who would've thought :surprise:
  • Hey,

You gotta check out this great website to find a good engine. My Mazda6 engine blew because of a stuck PCV valve, and I found a great engine on this site. I'm from Michigan also, but I found my low mileage 3.0L engine in South Dakota for only $900 + $250 shipping.

Oh, here is the website: www.car-part.com. It has a great search engine for salvage parts for any year and model of car...and shows results by price or distance, whichever you choose. Contact numbers (usually toll-free) and websites for the yards are right there for your convenience. A lot of yards are connected to this, so you'll get plenty of results! Good luck! :D
  • Does anyone have a diagram or picture(s) you could share showing the locations of the four O2 sensors on a '04 Mazda6 3.OL? I really would appreciate anyone sharing this information!

Thankssss!! :)
  • "Ericzoom", Thanks a million!

So..., I see there are 4 (four) individual part numbers for the sensors. Which P/N is for the one NOT mounted on the engine, but actually in the exhaust on the driver's side pipe. I've got the engine out and it's staring me in the face!

ALSO, can I use a universal four-wire sensor for this application?

Thanks to any who can help
  • Well, as i previously posted, i had a Mazda 6 with a tap in the engine, no one wanted to dig into it and pinpoint the problem. the only solution i got was a new engine costing 7000, the car is only worth about 7000 and i still owed 8000 on it. anyway, i poured some 'motor honey' in the engine and over the next few days the knock wasnt as loud and didnt start until about 3500-4000 RPMs, as opposed to it being 2500 before the additive. I quieted it enough to trade it in, they gave me 7000 for it!! i recommend the motor honey for all your engine tapping needs. it looks just like honey and you add it with about 3 quarts of oil. its not a permanent soultion, but it worked long enough for me to get rid of the car for a good deal. im driveing a honda now!
  • i had the same thing happen to mine... it was the battery. simple and easy fix... however the new battery was 120 bucks! nothing is ever as simple and easy as you think.
  • ericzoomericzoom Posts: 213
    What kind of battery did you get that cost $120? I paid $83 installed for my Duralast battery at Autozone, back in Feb.
  • hmmm, im not sure. it was the only one that the car would take. i installed in myself, or should i say my bf did. we got it at national auto.
  • My car recently started to drive really strange. My check engine light will come on and off whenever it feels like. But I have aftermarket parts on my car, so I figured some sensors were just out of whack. Well, yesterday, my car started to like jump while I was driving and also while it was idleing, almost like it was going to stall. When I am driving, I will push on the gas to accelerate and the RPMs will go up but it will take a few seconds for my car to actually gain speed. I am thinking it is either an oxygen sensor or something with my fuel. Any suggestions?
  • Hi all.
    Have rather a large issue I was after some help with...
    Last week, engine started to rattle then smoke, so I stopped and pulled over to find it was out of oil (I check it fortnightly).I filled it up and then drove it home.The next day on the way to the garage it just stopped.
    Since then the RAC and mechanics have looked at it and say the engine is irreparable.
    I have had it for 3 months and 1 week - the used car warranty? 3 months...
    Any suggestions about how to go about headhunting for my money? Anyone else heard of these issues at 50,000miles, so I have more ammunition when I go in?
    Cheers.
    Nick (Britain)
  • My 07 Mazda 6 did the same thing. I'm an engineer a mechanic and a racecar driver. I know that Mazda has a problem as do they. But they would not cover the problem. The believed the dirt bag dealer Dworkin Chevy Mazda. So I fixed it myself. Runs great now.