Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Engine Problems

Comments

• No resolution to this yet. Was at the dealer recently for an oil change.. Cruising at a steady state I could run it till it's dry. It is only accelerating that causes issues. I can't believe it is the fuel pump, because as soon as the tank is filled, the problem goes away. Service advisor said to not top off the fuel when filling up. This could be saturating the evaporation canister
  • sharvillsharvill Posts: 3
    I took mine to a local mechanic, not Mazda, with about 1/4 tank left (when it would start to hesitate). He put it up on jack stands to angle the car (to simulate exiting on a ramp) and checked the fuel pressure when it was angled. The car had also finally (after about a year) thrown the running lean code. He said the fuel pressure would spike when it was angled and his assumption was there was a small crack in one of the lines on the pump that would start to suck air when I would accelerate or exit ramps (because it would become un-submerged from the gas when doing so and the reason it works fine with a full tank). So I replaced the pump and no more issues.
  • onlamonlam Posts: 13
    I am having mine replace next week. Too bad it's just outta warranty so it's going to cost about $500. Did you replaced only just the pump unit or did you replace anything else ie. fuel lines..etc?
  • seanakioseanakio Posts: 4
    Thanks for that bit, I checked it out and sounds like the problem im having. Thats no good you had to replace at 81k, mine is VERY clothes to 80k. Thanks for the info.
  • ryanmazda07ryanmazda07 Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Note: You know, one thing i have noticed by reading all of these threads is that you could have a minor or major problem and the only diagnosis from MAZDA is, "Well you need to get an engine rebuild or get a new engine. WHY DON'T THEY KNOW JUST HOW TO FIX THE EXISTING ONE!!!!! I wish i had read this thread before i purchased a MAZDA 6.

Recently i have had ticking noises when accelerating and downshifting, i went to a Mazda dealership here on the Gold Coast and they turn around and say, " Bad news, you need a new engine, which will be about $5000-$6000" However a thread i read on page 13 suggest i may only need to replace the engine mounts!!!! Definitely getting a second and third opinion elsewhere.
  • onlamonlam Posts: 13
    edited May 2010
    Ticking noise. This could be it. Service bulletin from Mazda that address this problem.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda6/bulletin/01-012-07-1787a.pdf

or use this service bulletin

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda6/bulletin/01-031-07-1835.pdf
  • Anyone have any experience with the valves tapping on your 2009 Madza6 V6? Mine is going back to the dealership this Friday for the second time for a fix. Doesn't the new cars have a computer that adjusts the timing so the valves don't tap? They had better not tell me to burn premium petrol to get rid of the tapping.

Lemon Law here I come......

Rick
  • boogitybopboogitybop Posts: 21
    I don't know whether or not the mazda 6 engine is the same as the cx7 but there are a lot of people with major problems with the cx7 and are having to replace the engine at anywhere from 30 to 80,000 miles. I am one of them. I supplied Mazda with oil change receipts reflecting great service on this car and they refuse to help us in any way. We on the cx7 forum are exploring the possibility of a class action suit against these people. If you are interested in this please forward your e mail address to me:
    boogitybop@aol.com.
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Posts: 35
    Hi, I'm the original author of this thread. I just put ANOTHER engine into my Mazda 6. That makes 2 new engines on this 2007 Mazda 6 ....Search back and contact the former Mazda Service Manager and he'll give you the poop on this aweful problem. I won a Class Action against Coleco Co Inc. it was $17 million dollars. After the lawyers got their FAIR SHARE I go one share of Coleco stock and $8.25. Include all us Mazda 6 owners just to hammer the point. I just received notice my lawn tractor was a winner in a suit and it setteled for a reward to every owner not the lawyers. That''s a possibility. RNash10419@aol.com
  • rhdroc@comcast.net
  • Sounds like you are suit happy. Everyone is always trying to suit somebody. And I find it strange that you hate the Mazda 6 so much, but you keep putting another engine in to it. I would think if you hated it so much you would have got rid of it long ago. Something is fishy here. If you learn to maintain your vehicle you will have very little problems. I am now just a hair under 100,000 miles on my 2004 Mazda 6, the most expensive thing I have done is replaced my front brake pads and rotors (did myself for ~$150). Otherwise, 0 issues. Maybe you should quit trying to suit and research the Mazda 6 a little more and learn how to take care of it. Just my $0.02.
    I am most certainly not suit happy. I was unknowling included in the 2 suits I was included in. What's fishy is you are a jerk who doesn't have his facts and is passing bad judgment on me without knowing why I did 2 engines.
    No one was getting personal here. we are trying to help eachother. Let's keep it professional and cut the name calling.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    edited June 2010
    Let's cut the namecalling for sure, as that's contrary to our Membership Agreement. Calling someone "suit happy" also isn't acceptable. Let's also quit insinuating that something is "fishy" just because one consumer didn't behave the way you might have.

Sometimes it's too difficult and costly to get out of a particular vehicle, particularly when it has serious issues that would make it difficult to sell privately and worth very little as a trade-in. A vehicle with a non-working engine just might make it difficult to sell.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    You definitely are the minority when it comes to this problem. Outside of the Ford sourced V6 engines, where most of the problems are stemming from, the Mazda I4's have been very good. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

73,000 and going strong. No repairs.
  • des5des5 Posts: 88
    Ditto here. My 2005 6i is in for its 18th oil change today, 90,600 on the odo, zero engine issues. There are some interior rattles going on...
    Let me be perfectly clear here, I am an engineer, a mechanic and a racecar driver. Most importantly, I am a "Failure Analysis Engineer" so when I say you need to do a failure analysis before you can determine the root cause of the failure you can take that to the bank. My Mazda 6 failed at 7000 miles with better than required maintenance and utmost care. Even more with the second engine.
    Mazda always claimed my engine was "too clean" so they rejected my claim. THAT is why I'm here!!!! Have you all read the message from the former Mazda Service Manager here. Do that before passing judgment and name calling please.
    My car was perfectly maintained and it failed in one second flat. As did countless others. Mazda knows they have a problem with the 6 and SUV. So lets focus on helping people not name calling. Ask the Mazda Service Rep he'll tell you they are denying lots and lots of legitimate
    claims.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Why is a "too clean" engine a justification for denial?
    As per law, a manufacturer needs to prove that lack of maintenance, misuse or abuse caused a covered component to fail. If they cannot, a claim must be accepted. Even Mazda cannot get around this. I find it comical that a "too clean" engine would not be covered. I just don't buy it.

What dealer told you this? What city and state?
    edited June 2010
    It was Dworkin Mazda Chevrolet in Derby, CT. I called Mazda USA and spoke to several representatives. (They don't give their last names) and finally got to a top Customer Service Rep who refused my claim despite knowing the laws. Dworkin claimed a clean engine proved deception. Yeah right. I'm doing this Edmonds thing to gather data and information like the former Mazda Service Manager who confirmed Mazda was denying legitimate claims and letting the chips fall as they may.
    When did this happen at Dworkin Mazda? Is this something recent?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Clean engine or clean oil?

Long ago I had a guy who sold me a rebuilt engine tell me that sometimes those who had destroyed an engine of his by never changing oil would then pour in clean new oil before making a warranty claim. (not implying that this is the case here, just wondering about the "clean engine" statement)
  • mazda6s1mazda6s1 Posts: 6
    Unfortunately, I have encountered the same problem as many here have posted.

I have a 2003 Mazda6s manual transmission, with 80,000 miles on it.

Basically, I started to hear an engine rattling sound. Not long after (~1 week), the check engine light turns on. The rattling sound eventually becomes more noticeable, at which point I realize I need to get it checked out. However, I'm busy during the week, so I schedule a weekend appointment. Eventually, the rattling sounds are accompanied by the "low oil" light and white smoke from tailpipe. At this point, I knew I was in trouble. As I'm driving home, the car basically turns off (to overheating) and I get it towed to dealer. It's currently drivable, but the engine needs to be replaced, according to the local Mazda dealer. They said I was low on oil, and the engine was damaged. Additionally, it appears coolant was leaking into the engine, causing the white smoke from tailpipe.

At this point, I'm kind of shocked, because my car only has 80,000 miles on it, and it's an 03. I got it brand new. I never imagined getting an engine replacement THIS early.

As of now, I'm contemplating getting a used engine. However, I have a couple of questions:

(1) Anyone know of any good places to buy one? I live in PA. Should I just go through the dealer to buy a used engine? Or, is it better to look myself?

(2) If I buy a used engine, could this used Mazda6 engine eventually develop the same problem as my current one? If so, what could I do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!
    I got my used engine for $1200.00 and changed it myself. Mazda wanted $5000.00. I got the engine on Car-Parts.com. Engine worked great for 30,000 miles and then blew again. Now I have another engine with a 50,000 mile warrnty.
    Mazda has a clear problem here with the Mazda 6 and the CX 7. and is doing nothing to help. Look back to the former Mazda Service Manager on this thread.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2010
    (1) Anyone know of any good places to buy one? I live in PA. Should I just go through the dealer to buy a used engine? Or, is it better to look myself?

I'd look around and see what you can do yourself. Having 80K miles allows you to do pretty much anything you want without voiding any factory warranty. The more reputable engine builders will offer a warranty.

(2) If I buy a used engine, could this used Mazda6 engine eventually develop the same problem as my current one? If so, what could I do to prevent this from happening again?

Anything is possible. Having said that, the best way to keep an eye on the engine is to check the oil once per week (I do it with both my vehicles every Saturday morning, whether it's brand-new or 10 years old, its still good practice).

It sounds like the PCV valve failed and you slowly lost oil until the rattling started. Unfortunately, when the oil light goes on, it's usually too late, since the light goes on when the oil pump has problems. The PCV valve has been known to fail, especially on 3.0L V6 engines. When I started losing oil (a half-quart or more per week) on my '04 6S, I replaced the valve and the oil loss ceased.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Try Jasper Engines. They are rebuilt and have a pretty good warranty on them. They are reputable.

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
  • al5000al5000 Posts: 12
    Jasper is REALLY expensive. I bought mine from Powertrain Products. Engine for my 2004 V6 was around $3000.
    If your blown engine lost any oil, it probably ended up in the front cats, which will also need to be replaced, and you might as well do the clutch while you are at it.

Mazda customer service is absolutely the worst, hands down.
    Thanks for the response.

I'm leaning towards buying a new engine. Do you think I could potentially have the same issues with a new Mazda6 engine?

Also, how did you notice oil was leaking? I had no idea until it was too late (didn't see any oil dripping on the ground).
    I'm thinking about getting a new engine from Mazda. The reasoning being, if I get a new engine instead of just buying another used car, at least, hopefully, I'll have an engine that will last me for the next 4-5 years (which is as long as I would like my car).

The Jasper engines seem kind of expensive and appear to be similarly priced to the new engine that Mazda can install.
    Hey,

So, how is your Powertrain engine running? It looks like for remanufactured engines, they have 4-year, unlimited mile warranty.

Do you think getting a remanufactured engine is a safe choice?