Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona Squeaks, Rattles and other Noises

Comments

• lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    No, I am referring to the lock that locks the rear gate closed, the rear door. Spray WD 40 or silicon lubricant (better) spray located in the lock mechanism on the rear door. Use the little red tube that comes with the bottle to direct the spray of the lubricant inside the lock mechanism. Spray on both sides of the curved metal locking piece. Again it is the lock on the rear gate / door whatever you want to call it. I spray once a month and no more rattle. You can also use the lubricant to lube all the hinges and rollers / track on the sliding doors as well as as the four windows that go up / down. Lube the rubber where it meets the glass. Use the silicon for this not WD 40. This lessons the stress on the window motors to move the glass extending the life of the window motor as well as providing faster operation. Does not hurt to lube the seat hinges as well. Lubrication is your friend for moving parts. :) Very good stuff.
  • saturn1968saturn1968 Posts: 2
    i sometimes have a similar noise in my sedona. it seems to be from the a/c heat motor.
  • colfaxwolfcolfaxwolf Posts: 11
    Anyone found out what this is yet? We have taken our '06 van to the dealership once and they could not figure it out. They thought it may be something to do with the computer but it started again as soon as I got home. Whenever we cut the van off the knocking comes from behind the glove box about 5 times.
  • alfiedwalfiedw Posts: 3
    Do you have a cd in the cd player? Sometimes when we would shut off the motor on our '02 the cd player would knock about a half-dozen times or so. It didn't really matter if it was playing or not, such as if you were listening to the radio when you shut the car off. It would also happen when you'd just shut the radio off sometimes. Intermittent problem; didn't always happen.
  • sh65sh65 Posts: 3
    I dont have any loud noises but I do experience weird problems on and off with my a/c vents. I will set it to floor only and after a few minutes it will switch to dashboard vents by itself. Or I will set it to blow through both and it will switch to floor only. If I turn it off and back on that seems to fix it usually. The other recent problem I have now is that it doesnt blow ice cold air all the time. It will be cold for a few minutes, then outside air temp..then somewhat cold..then back to very cold...and on and off that way. Other times it stays cold. I am thinking maybe the compressor is going out or i have a refrigerant leak, but at 3 1/2 yrs of age the van shouldnt have ANY a/c problems. I dont even live in an area where I use the AC more than 4-5 months out of the year. Between this problem and my continuous brake issue, I have tried to find a lemon law lawyer and contacted KIA headquarters but they wont call me back. Im at a loss at this point as to what to do.
  • ssj0808ssj0808 Posts: 3
    I was having the same problem and they ended up replacing my expansion valve.Just got it back yesterday and so far no noise. My van is a Kia Sedona
  • I just bought a 2003 Kia Sedona! It is making a noise on the front Passanger side of the van. It is coming from the engine compartment. It get s louder with excelleration. It goes away when you get to about 70mph. I am thinking that it is a transmission problem? Has anyone had this experience? I would like to get it fixed before my extended warranty runs out. I just bought the KIA and my bank is holding the check until the dealership fixes it! Wow what a loan officer I have! Shes great!Anyone that could nelp me, it would be appreciated! Thanks jay!
  • mins25mins25 Posts: 3
    I had same problem spray WD40 on rear door lock noise will go away.
  • vince17vince17 Posts: 19
    Have a look at your luggage rack on top of the van .Reposition the support bars if they are adjustable ,perhaps this will help
  • I have a 2006 Sedona EX. First off after the experience with my 04 i LOVE this car and this is the first time I had any concerns with it. In the past 2 weeks my car sounded like it had aged 60 years. When i would first start out of a parking spot, run over a dip in the road, turned into my driveway that is on an up hill or hit unevn payment the car made loud, crunching metal noises especially on the left front side. I looked in all the forums and online and didn't find anything much (reason why i am posting this) on the 06 Sedona having this problem but had an idea that it might be the bushings on the front end. I took the car in today to the dealer and found out that the "cradle bushings" as the dealer called it, or sway bar bushings are known to wear abnomally on the 06. I was happy again that my dealer was aware of the issue and they took care of it under warranty (45000 miles on car) for me! After bad dealings with the dealer i bought both my cars from I am so happy i have finally found one that is about a half hour away from me that knows what is going on. :)
  • WOw finally I found someone with the same problem, I started with the same problem over a year ago and they have changed the struts, strut mount, sway bar and bushings, nothing has changed except they have thrown my allignment out of wack and now my tires need replacing. I had 22000 miles when it started now I have 38000 on my 2006 sedona, as a matter of fact it is going to the dealer today to check the sub frame bushings now! What a mess. Kia is rude and doesn't care about the problem.
    It is funny cause I had it in the shop at least 5 times and they kept saying there was no noise and I was imagining it. So We saw that Sorentos had the great rebate so we went to the same dealer to trade in our van, because of the noise, and the same dealer test drove it and told us that my van had a horrible noise and I would have to get it fixed before they would trade it. I took it to service and told them that the salesman could hear the noise and then they told me that there is no noise and no problem with my van. UGH!!! It makes so much noise when I turn it or hit a bump!! HELP
  • All you have mentioned are know problems with the 06 Sedona. Let me know how you make out today. I have seen stuff on the Sub Frame before.
  • I have an 06EX with 46,000 miles - In the past week i have been hearing a chirping, metal craping noise coming from the right rear of the car when i was making a right hand turn or as the week progressed driving straight in light to light traffic. The noise would stop if i put on my brakes. My guess was it was time for new pads or that a pad had slipped. Come to find out the pad had slipped on the right rear and got caught in the caliper. I got lucky that no damage was done to either the caliper or pad and they were able to reseat the pad back into position. I was surprised when I was told i still had 80% of the pad left and it was in excellent shape. I have already had the rotors and pads replaced on the front at 30,000 since they tend to wear faster. I was in and out of the dealer in an hour. I am so lucky to have found a good one! :)
  • We bought a used 08 with just over 22,000 in December. We now have almost 24,000 miles. It's becoming a rattle trap. The left rear, when my kids are all climbing out of the van, you can hear a metallic creak or pop from what sounds like the wheel. When turning right, the harder you turn and the faster you're going when you turn, you hear what sounds like a rubbing sound. Doesn't happen turning left. Then there are a few assorted rattles when driving. But, for the price, I can't complain. It is what it is. The engine is strong, interior amenities are not too bad (LX), and it's a nice looking van.
  • stiller12stiller12 Posts: 13
    Our 2006 Sedona Van is making the rear hatch squeak/squeel noise again. We have had it at the dealership 7 times for the noise. KIA had a rep from Chicago out to see it last year and put in new clips under the hatch and back panelling..We have had a rental 3 times through the dealership. No fix. They have taken the hatch apart each time, put padding in it, tightened the hatch etc...It only has 28000 on it and sounds like a box of rocks. SUGGESTIONS? We have tried lubricant etc...It comes back within a few weeks. My wife and I are going to explode. We have a mile of paperwork over this vehicle, and you cannot make a long trip in it without blowing your own head off over the squeak.
  • stiller12stiller12 Posts: 13
    Check out my latest post...does the squeak sound familiar? I cant take a long trip with my family without going nuts or wanting to smash the van into a wall. Its the back panel, hatch area and they still cannot fix it. I have had a rental three times through the dealer to fix the problem.
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 8
    I fixed the sound it made when turning right. I took off the right front wheel....didn't really see anything. I knocked a small stone out from between the inner fender and the body. I then made sure to put the wheel back on in a different position from how it was when I took it off. That particular sound is now gone. Go figure....it couldn't have been the stone causing the inner fender to push out and rub the tire on a turn, it was too small. Plus there was no rub mark anyplace.
  • carfan19carfan19 Posts: 3
    We have a 06 Sedona EX that was making a not so loud thumping noise in the front end whenever we went over a bump. In fact the entire vehicle just felt "loose" and shaky. Took it in to dealer and they found "worn rear subframe bushings and worn sway bar links". After they replaced these components, the van feels like it's brand new again. Even the fold down center tray doesn't rattle as much as it used to, overall she feels tight and solid again. Hope this info helps some of you out there, contact me if you need further info. :)
  • i have an 06 uk sedona with squeaky hatch.
    got missus to drive whilst i found the squeak, its coming from the bottom ot the hatch.
    after a closer inspection i found that the large plastic cover on the hatch was a bad fit, check round the lock area and the opposite side to the handel.
    it rubs at these locations because the hatch plastic is slightly to large.
    i removed my hatch and sanded the plastic on the verticals where it goes round the lock and both horizontal sections.

replaced and i now have a very slight,very occasional squeak over rough road. probably needs a bit more sanding, but the hatch is awkward to get off so i can live with it.
    its a plastic on metal squeak.

i also had the pulling to the left thing but they fixed that by rotating the strut top.

now have the steering judder, but its electrical somewhere because it happens at speed for 6 seconds then stops for 4 then starts again.

any ideas?

steve

p.s otherwise its a fantastic car
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    The easiest way to fix the squeaky hatch is to use a silicon based lubricant, as it last much longer then WD 40, spray into the latch via a directional tube attached to the nozzle. Spray thoroughly inside the lock latch once a month or as needed.

I would take your van back to the dealer to deal with the shudder. If it developed after the fix for the other problem it is probably related in one way or another.

This same lubricant can also be used to lubricate the van's sliding door tracks, all the hinges, and even where the rubber meet the windows for less friction when rolling up and down the windows. Great stuff.
  • vandad1vandad1 Posts: 3
    Our vehicle is a 2006 Sedona EX which was purchased used in 2007 with 11,000 miles. I had noticed for months a motorized humming sound that became noticable when the fuel level came to about 1/4 tank. As dealers are very inconvenient to our home (Bay Area, CA), I waited until the last minute to get this addressed under 36K mile warranty. The ridiculously crappy dealership said they worked the problem ( the interior of the car smelled like gas for about 6 days) but the noise is acutally louder now, is present at all fuel levels, and I also now notice an occasional drumming or thump along with the motorized hum. All of this sound seems to be emanating from beneath the 2nd row seat behind the driver. The car runs fine -(I have other minor issues to report under separate threads) - but I would really like to have this problem diagnosed and fixed. I have access to decent mechanics (I will not take it back to another Kia dealer as they are all basically out of business here and/or untrustworthy and especially inconvenient) - I just want to be able to give them some clues to use to hunt the problem down and fix it.

If anyone happens to know, I also have intermittent problems with the auto doors (3 beeps when the door closes) and I wish the transmission wouldn't upshift so soon as we live in a hilly area and the lower end is preferable. I have had the car shift into 5th gear below 45 mph!
  • likellehlikelleh Posts: 35
    Hi, it's the plastic fuel tank line vibrating again the body of the van. It has been a known problem since the van came out. I bought my 2006 sedona ex knowing it was an issue as well as a few other recalls.My van did it intermittantly. It's just a tie off they do but with my car it continued to be an issue and Kia replaced the fuel pump with a newer design to correct the problem in my van under warranty. Please let me know how you make out. I know the frustration of dealers. I have finally found one that i can count out after countless nightmares. This Kiatechinfo.com site is great for issue with the van.

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/TechInfo/KMATSB/board_view.asp?docu_no=331&page=

TSB No. KT2007030802
    This bulletin provides a repair procedure for fuel pump noise, which may occur on some 2006 Sedona (VQ) vehicles with a production date earlier than 10/19/2006.

Some 2006MY Sedona (VQ) vehicles may exhibit a humming / buzzing noise or vibration from the fuel pump or fuel tank area. To address this condition, secure the fuel pump return line to the fuel pump housing as outlined in the following instructions.
    Hi again, yes i have had the beeping with the doors. There is no fix for it can be annoying depending on the frequency. I have been told it happens when dust and dirt gets into the tracks but can't be sure. As for the shifting of the car...very difficult to get use to depending on driving styles.When i first got the van i'd step on the gas and get whiplash from the quick take off. I find just the opposite with my van that it is in low gear more often than not. I have learned to adust to it's temper mental behavior, but overall i love my van.
  • vandad1vandad1 Posts: 3
    Hey - this is great info. Thanks very much - I will have my mechanic make the repair as specified. How can the dealer service department have no knowledge of this stuff?
  • wekilledwekilled Posts: 1
    Found this QUOTE: Took it to Kingman, AZ for Top Speed with Danica Patrick, and on the way there I discovered an annoying driver side A-pillar whistle that seemed to happen above 70 mph when there was a cross-wind blowing through the big desert valleys in the windy eastern CA. Drop below 70 and the loud, annoying whistle goes away, nudge back up again, and there it is in all its ear-piercing painfulness.

I have the exact same problem and it sounds like the air being let out of a balloon slowly. Its not the radio or luggage rack.. I think it might be coming in from the firewall or something. Looking forward to the noise throughout our roadtrip vacation.

--douglas.wekell@us.army.mil
  • mom2bandkmom2bandk Posts: 1
    I'm having this same issue with my Sedona. They called today and said it was the actuator and that it would cost almost $200 to repair. However, I had it in 7 months and supposedly the problem was "fixed" then. Did you get yours fixed? Has it caused you any problems since then?
  • jirkajirka Posts: 15
    Did you find a fix for the steering wheel whine? I experience the same thing, I have no idea if it is a problem or not. Thanks.
    I had the same problem with my 06 sedona and had it fixed under warranty...
  • Glad to pass along anything I have experienced or know on this van....It doesn't surprise me the dealer "didn't know"...i went through a few before i found one i trust. I learned to do my homework and be one step ahead of the dealer....hope it all worked out.... :)
  • Was recently driving on the highway (with my two infant children) when while going up a slight incline the van started to miss and hesitate. I pulled over-rev'd the engine hoping it would clear out any richness-this did not work. I shut the engine off - waited a few seconds and restarted-still the engine felt like it was missing. Finally after allowing the engine to sit (not running) for a minute, I restarted it and it ran fine. Drove it for approximately another 30 miles will no problem.. This has occurred twice with this vehicle. Has anyone had a similar problem??