Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country power steering problems

Comments

• jeweeksjeweeks Posts: 1
    THIS IS COVERED UNDER THE 36K warranty!! DON'T PAY A CENT!! It's covered. I'm going through the same thing and I have 44,000 miles. They want a hundred dollar deductible and Chrysler is coivering it. Also, the powertrain is covered up to 70K miles....Check it out. you're getting ripped off!!
  • bjssbjss Posts: 51
    Thx - they checked out the car again came back with same conclusion. Had the car for 1 week now and no problems...but, I had the dealer owner give me a written note and signature that they would cover beyond 36K (up to my 85K extended warranty) if the rack should fail. They will also cover the $100 deductible.
  • connieb2connieb2 Posts: 1
    I took my 2005 Town&Country into the dealer on March 12 for a recall on the windshield washer motor. I also had been hearing the whinning noise in the front of my van, so asked them to check it out while I was there. I too had to have power steering box, gear-rack and pinion replaced. I have just under 45K on my van. I am glad that I had purchased the extended warranty, I had to pay a $200 deductiable, for the front end alignment and power steering fluid for a total of $267. Had I not had extended warranty it would had come to a total of $ll78.
    I was told that this has been a problem and to hang on to my invoice for a possiable recall.
    Does anyone know were we can go to make a complaint to Chrystler about this HUGH PROBLEM!!!!!!! :mad:
  • jrsattjrsatt Posts: 5
    Odd that I find this message postings today since all day my van was in the shop receiving a new rack at 46+K miles. My symptoms were the same as stated by others, whine on start-up and ending after the unit warmed up. I also had purchased an extended warranty and paid a hundred plus 7% sales tax. I have always been a driver who takes care of his vehicle properly. Just wondering if a recall is made in the future if possibly Chrysler would pay my deductible costs as this certainly is a defective manufactured major component and one on the safety side of driving.
  • bfesenbfesen Posts: 1
    I have just had to pay our Chrysler service department $800 to fix a problem that after reading all these postings should be a recall by Chrysler. We had to have the steering rack replaced and it played out exactly as previous postings stated. My only questions is WHERE IS THE RECALL????
  • sk4sk4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Town and Country with the same problem. My van has 50,000 miles. Now that the warranty is off, I use a mechanic that is more reasonable than the large dealer where I bought the van. He said I should contact Chrysler because this should not happen at 50,000 miles and I searched Google and found all of you on my first hit! I will contact Chrysler but I don't think it will do any good. It is amazing there has been no recall.
  • eppeseppes Posts: 2
    Just having tires replaced and asked the shop to check the noise....and was told that I needed to spend $1400 to replace the steering rack ...tech showed me the leak and everything...I cant believe how many folks are having this problem. I have just over 70,000 miles and when I was still under warrenty asked dealership about the noise that I now know is the steering... and was told it was nothing.....now I am not under warrenty....hoping for a recall.... :cry:
  • jrsattjrsatt Posts: 5
    At 1400 bucks they should give you the tires, balance and fill with Nitrogen then pain the car. Between 800 - 900 should be tops unless there is damage to other parts. This is a mess that Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep must get in line and help those out who have this failed problem. This item is a joke. :confuse:
  • grimleygrimley Posts: 3
    Yesterday I was informed that my grinding whine was due to the rack and pinion failure. $800+ repair. I also researched and see that it's a BIG PROBLEM which the dealers are disavowing. If you have this problem, please make a complaint with www.nhtsa.gov, who can count complaints and force Chrysler into a recall. Also call Chrysler and make your complaint (800) 992-1997. If you have it repaired, save your receipt for reimbursement should there actually be a recall.
    I also have to replace the brakes every 15K miles, and my mechanic informed me today that the a/c clutch has disintegrated, making the vehicle (in yet another way) unsafe. Now I also need a new a/c compressor. Ridiculous for a vehicle with 53,000 miles and not even paid off yet!
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Posts: 58
    Recalls are normally only done for things that are directly safety related. What Chrysler should do (and they have done this in the past with similar issues) is admit there was a defect with a significant number of these steering racks, and issue an extended warantee for that part - including retroactive payments for anyone who already had to pay for the replacement.

BTW - aftermarket replacements are available for these steering racks, and you can have them replaced for under $500 at a local repair shop. (of course, then you will have a harder time getting your money back if Chrysler does extend the warantee)
  • jklchang3jklchang3 Posts: 1
    This is definitely an eye-opening forum. I purchased my new 2005 T&C Touring in 7/05 and it has been repair after repair ever since. It now has almost 42K miles and I also take maintenance seriously and take it for all regular service.

For over a year, the right back sliding door "periodically" wouldn't open - no rhyme or reason to when it happened, just wouldn't open by pressing the button in front or on the door and we would need topen it manually. Of course it never happened when I took it in, so they couldn't fix what they couldn't see.

However, the biggest problem was about 3 months ago when I heard a "clicking" as it was coming to a "rolling stop" (not while I was pressing the brakes). My regular maintenance guy finally told me it was the transmission and to take it to Chrysler for warranty service (he said at that time he thought it may be a recall item which Chrysler of course denied). After waiting 6 hours for what was promised as a 2 hour job, I was told there was metal flakes in the transmission and they fixed it. I drove it away with paying only the $100 deductible only to find a new problem -- there was squealing. I took it back the next morning, and this time also told them about the problem with the sliding door. They told me that both belts had to be replaced and that the door was just "gummed up". After they replaced the belts and told me they fixed the door, they told me the water pump also needed to be replace. After 2 days of work and another $200+, I got my car back. My warranty and extended warranty covered most of the work (one belt WAS NOT covered).

Now 3 months later I hear the clicking again and when I turn the steering wheel there is a grinding noise. There is also some noise on what I believe is the brakes (which by the way were also replaced in 2007). I still have the same problem with the back sliding door periodically choosing not to open AND the right passenger window now periodially has the same problem. This seems to me it must be an electrical problem?

Originally I thought that maybe I just got a "lemon", but after reading all this, I'm positive it is the van. I'm taking it to my mechanic to take a look to see if it is the rack. After the last set of problems, I've been looking for a new car and like others will NEVER buy another Chrysler/Dodge again. Although I owe more on my car than it is currently worth, I figure the cost for future repairs will far exceed that amount, so I'll probably bite the bullet on this one and cut my losses.

I'd love to know if anyone out there has experienced the "clicking" problem as I didn't see anything in this forum specifically relating to that. And if anyone has had the problem with the doors and windows not working occasionaly.
  • akmccakmcc Posts: 3
    I just took my car in to have the power steering rack looked at. I had already read the comments on this website so I was prepared to push the issue with Chrysler and the dealership. I have 66K miles on my van so the dealership said replacing the part would not be covered. However, I told them that I knew this was a wide spread problem and that I wanted them to call Chrysler directly and get approval to cover this repair. After calling Chrysler the dealership said that the actual part which cost $425 would be covered by Chrysler but the labor cost of $200 would not. So although I wasn't fully satisfied I guess something is better than nothing. If I had not asked them to call Chrysler and told them I was already aware of this problem they would have made me pay the entire amount. They also told me there was a problem with my water pump, so I had to pay a $100 deductible to get that fixed as well. Obviously the water pump and power steering rack needs to be recalled.
    This is also very interesting. While my van was in a private shop and diagnosed the problem, I called two dealerships with which I have dealt as well as Chrysler and all disavowed any knowledge of the problem and denied that they would cover repair/replacement. We had to bite the bullet and pay the $800 repair. I learned from the mechanic that the rack/pinion mechanism was redesigned by Chrysler for this model year- if there was no problem, why would a redesign be needed? I also took the opportunity to complain about the need for front brakes every 15K miles, and the fact that the a/c compressor had to be replaced due to the clutch disintegrating. While the van was in the shop, the mechanic called and advised that they discovered that the water pump was leaking. Unfortunately sounds like a theme song. Wonder what will go next.
  • vc0799vc0799 Posts: 1
    Hi, Just wanted to know how you got them to cover this item. We are having the same problem and were told Chrysler would never cover this because its not under recall. I called Chrysler themselves but was transferred multiple times to India where they seemed to be trained to say We are very sorry, there is no recall, we cannot cover anything, I will put you on hold. For over an hour I dealt with powerless people. Any words of wisdom would be very helpful.
    Thanks much. Mom of almost 5 :lemon: :confuse:
    We did not get Chrysler to cover the repair. We had to eat it. I am keeping my receipt in the hope that eventually there will be a recall.
  • natb1natb1 Posts: 10
    Before committing a large sum of money to power steering issues check these 2 first.

1. Search this forum for "noisy groaning rumbling power steering". Many (including my 2001) were fixed with a new fluid reservoir. I actually clean mine out, and its been quiet for a year now.

2. There are 2 rubber hoses under the vehicle going to a cooler. Mine has a slow leak right at the hose clamp. Easy to fix, and cheap.
  • I took my 07 T&C to a local dealer, he searched and searched and could not find the problem. He drove the van, but did not drive it long enough for the noise to start. I am having the same problems with whinning noise starting after long drive. I told the service mgr about the posts on here and he asked me to see if someone who had the same problem (rack) and had it fixed, would please send me the name of the dealership they used (include address/phone# if you would). And if you know the name of the person to talk to there, please include that too. He wants to contact them to see how they found the problem. I would really appreciate all the help I could get. Please email me the info at:
    RyanSlade22@yahoo.com Thank you very much.
  • akmccakmcc Posts: 3
    I live in Michigan. And took my vehicle to Mount Clemens Dodge. I told them that I was aware of the problems because of the information I'd read online. Initially they wanted to charge me the full $800. But I asked the dealership to call Chrysler to have this fixed for me. They called back and Chrysler agreed to cover the $600 part but I had to pay $200 for maintenance. Then about 2 weeks ago the power steering rack went out again and they replaced for a 2nd time. This time there was of course no charge at all. I think the trick to it is taking your car to the dealership and having them deal with Chrysler. I had originally tried to get the dealership to negotiate with Chrysler before I brought my van in but this did not work.
  • jcfjrjcfjr Posts: 1
    Our 2002 caravan with 54,000 miles was whining and growling through power steering. By combining 2 of your messages with some thought I believe it's fixed. Had already had reservoir and hose replaced and did no good. I bought a 12 ounce bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak and brought full (by the full line) reservoir up to within 1/2 inch of top. All whinning and growling stopped within 15 seconds. Cost me 11 dollars and change. Should also work with original reservoir. We spent around 200.00 dollars on unnecessary work. Hope it works for you.

jcfjr
  • ok,

i have an '04 T and C which i bought a year and a half ago...great vehicle except for the steering whine...brought it in to the dealership and had it filled and bled (to remove supposed air bubbles) more than once...would seem to be improved then go back to same old thing...the noise would start when i started the car in the morning and would be worse in cold weather...was told to turn the wheel while i warmed up the car in the driveway..this seemed to get the groaning under control...one morning i was in a particularly bad mood and turned the wheel pretty violently and as i backed out i saw a puddle of red steering fluid on the ground...all the fluid just gushed out...had to have it towed to the dealership where they found one or more loose clamps in the steering system hoses...the clamps were replaced and the steering fluid filled and no more problem!!! that was several months ago (winter time) and the problem has not resurfaced...hope that this helps other T and C owners:-)