Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• waltchanwaltchan Posts: 123
    Another possibility is to wait for Toyota dealer ads coming on Saturday? What city are you in? I have heard stories of buyers flying from Texas to Los Angeles to buy a Camry LE for $17,500, and then drive it back home to Texas happily. In California, I used to see 2009 Camry CE auto going for only $15,999 and LE for $16,999, but not anymore lately. But it's possible these prices can return after January 2009 when the new 2010 Camry hit the showroom floor.
  • exlerexler Posts: 129
    Right on about that 260 rating--checked another LE in town that had Michelin tires rated 440--so if you can get a Camry with Michelins it might be a good thought--I had some Michelins on a 95 Camry and they lasted about 37K----on a 02 Camry I had Bridgestones that lasted about 23K---Thanks
    This is absolutely the perfect time (if you are extremely lucky) right now to buy a 2009 Japanese-made Camry. For 2009, Toyota will only produce less than 5,000 vehicles from Japan (versus 100,000 in 2007), and will be sold only in the west-coast of United States (California, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii). This is the lowest amount of Japanese imports since the beginning of 1983. Because Toyota Japan will only need to build 5,000 Camrys for the US market this year, each Camry made will be assembled at a much slower pace than normal, making the build quality and fit-and-finish quality go extremely, ultra-high. I drove home happily with a extremely rare, basic Japanese-made 2009 Camry LE auto with no option. I have never seen a vehicle so well-made and perfect in my entire life. Everything is quiet, no squeaks or rattles, and is similar to a Lexus. I feel like I stole it from the dealer, by not paying more enough, even though the dealer forced me to pay $1,000 more due to its rarity. Most of the Japanese-made Camrys are in higher trim levels, but driving home with the cheapest Japanese-made Camry is impossible to get. The fit-and-finish quality is something I have not seen for more than twenty years from Japan since the 80s. Go test drive and see for yourself (if you live in California, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, or Hawaii).

Because only less than 5,000 Made in Japan 2009 Camrys will be produced this year, we probably will not get enough owners to comment their vehicles but me. :)
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    What a great salesman....that is marketing at its' finest..........
  • I'm thinking of buying an '09 Camry with a manual transmission. This will be my first new car (second I owned, the first being a used Saturn SL). I went to the dealer last night and took a test drive. The car had 4 miles on it and was still covered in protective plastic from shipping. When I got back to the dealership after the test drive, there was a burning smell and some smoke coming out from under the hood. Is this just parts wearing in/paint burning off, or should this concern me. The engine also sounded a little rougher than I would expect from a new car. My brother's girlfriend just bought one, and he said when he sits in it he can't tell if the engine is on or not and that this was definitely not as smooth. Is that normal? I'm having a very difficult time deciding on this car or a different sedan.

Thanks for your input.
    Absolutely normal. This smell is coming from the serpentine belt that requires breaking in for the first 100 miles.
  • Would this cause the engine vibration as well?
    No, it should not vibrate. Try another car. Do you mean to say that the engine vibrates on idle or steering wheel vibrates on idle? My Japanese-made Camry runs very quiet like a feather. When I test drove two different-made Camrys at the dealer lot, the Japanese-made one runs 5% quieter than the USA-made, although they are almost the same.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    waltchan,

Can you share with us how you measured your car running 5% quieter and 1% faster comparing to American made Camrys? How many American made Camrys did you measure for your comparison? My 2009 LE American made and runs very quiet and reasonably fast for I4.
    ohh lucky, let him go.

If he wants to pay a 1K premium, because his vehicle came down the Japanese assembly line vs. American, and he believes the vehicle is better, quieter, faster, smoother, and worth more on trade in.......don't bust his bubble.

He's rationalized spending the extra bucks. Salesman is still counting his commission.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Wow, a person interested in a manual transmission Camry - I thought I was the only one! My '07 CE manual Camry had, like all new cars, a burning smell, which is just some of the undercoating/paint, etc. burning off. It went away within 50 miles. Just an FYI, the '07 and the '09 are the same engine/tranny.

The engine in my Kentucky built Camry is quiet. If you have a concern about engine noise, just compare it to another Camry on the lot. The Camry's engine does get a little loud when pushed hard and at high RPMs, but it is very quiet at idle and at constant speed on the highway.

I have no regrets with my Camry. Let us know how it goes.
  • bebanbeban Posts: 2
    Does anyone know who has the best price for Toyota Camry LE in Maryland or surrounding states?
  • Thanks for all your input. I'm not quite sure how to describe the vibrating. The steering wheel was not vibrating, but the engine was not the steady hum I expect of a new engine. . . I know thats not much help. I'm relieved that the burning smell is nothing. I don't think the engine is out of place though. I'll definitly post how it goes if I get it. I'll be looking at an Accord and an Altima also tommorow.
    I measured with only four different cars, two Japanese-made and two USA-made, and all are 4-cylinders. 5% quieter means nothing at all and is a very small number. Both are very quiet and 99% of people will not notice any noise difference. On the other hand, I have excellent hearing and eyesight (very talented in this field) and can notice the difference very easily. The Japanese-made Camrys appear to use smoother bearings in their engines. They use Made in Japan Denso motors. The USA-made Camry use Made in USA Denso motors.

There is a white-sticker that shows 75% of parts/components are made in USA or Canada in Japanese-made Camrys. I absolutely totally disagree with what the sticker says. When I looked inside the engine hood, I don't know how many times I saw "Made in Japan" in almost every engine part components, including the AC refrigerant, fan, battery, belt, radiator, gasket, power steering motor, alternator, etc... The USA-made Camry only has two or three parts that are Made in Japan, and everything else is Made in USA or Canada. The seats in my Camry have the sticker underneath printed "Made in Japan", as well as the seat belts, light bulb, carpet, glove compartment, windows (Nippon), front and rear bumpers, and etc. The only part that is not Made in Japan is tires. I think the white-sticker is a joke by Toyota. Most importantly, the new car interior smell is completely different scent between the two. Different scent means different parts manufacturer. My Camry is almost 100% Japan-built (probably 90%). No, I'm not kidding, although I believe many people will disagree with me.

My Camry was made in Toyota's Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City, Aichi, Japan, the same plant were Toyota Prius are made since 2004. The Prius has consitently rated very high in reliability by Consumer Reports since 2004 and scored better than Camry and Corolla. The early Prius wasn't made in the Tsutsumi plant and had more problems.

I'm excited to drive this car everyday. My main reason for buying a Camry is not because Camry is affordable and refined, but it's the most rarest and exotic new vehicle I can find for under $20,000. I originally wanted a Honda Accord, but the rep at Honda headquarter told me that Japanese-made Accords will not end at anytime soon, so I went for a Camry instead because Japanese-made Camrys are getting harder and harder to find every year (excluding hybrids), indicating there will be a final year very soon. Toyota already announced two years ago that they are trying their best to eliminate all Japanese imports after the Subaru Lafayatte, Indiana plant goes into full operation. So far, the Lafayatte plant is only 70% in full operation with the remaining 30% still under construction in their expansion field zone.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    wow, "smoother bearings", that really makes a difference. I'm sure "75% content of US parts" sticker on your Japanese made Camry was installed only to fool customs and didn't account for Japanese air in tires and inside of the cabin. I'm sure Japanese air in your tires makes ride cushier and makes your car to smell better inside . I'm also glad to hear that you consider your Camry to be "the most rarest and exotic new vehicle"... come on ... stop this nonsense.
  • kay23kay23 Posts: 5
    My month old Camry makes a strange growling noise when it runs at 60 kms and you're stady on the gas. Almost sounds like the engine is bogging when driving a stick. It goes away as soon as you get off the gas or give it a bit more.
    Anyone have this problem and know what it is?
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Posts: 101
    So, right off the bat, Kay, you knew your dealer was a money-grubbing liar, since he told you the extended warranty HAD to be purchased within 30 days......and Toyota told you otherwise!
    How'd THAT make you feel about buying a car from those guys? You still did it? I assume there wasn't another Toyota dealer within a hundred miles? You can purchase almost any car anywhere these days and still have it serviced at your local dealer. (although in THIS case.....why would you go near the liar with a ten-foot pole?)
    Where are you, anyway? I'm curious to see/hear how your new car is working out. Was that you who mentioned grinding while going in to first gear? Is this an automatic we're talking about?
    Regards,
    Michael
  • exlerexler Posts: 129
    Anyone had the TSB 0069-08 done regarding the vibration problem between 30-45 mph on a 4 cylinder LE when doing minimal acceleration in this range. Did it help rectify the problem?
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Posts: 101
    What model years does this "anti-vibration" TSB apply to? Some TSBs cover several years, like the 0068-08, for example.
    Also, does anyone have the number for the Canadian equivalent TSB, assuming there IS one?
    Thanks, Scotty.
    yes absolutely...get it done, it takes 1/2 hour and no charge under warranty