Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    So wait im kind of lost why is Toyota releasing the 09 camry this early? What is the difference between an 08 and 09?
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    There is no difference other than the overhead console has been "rounded off" from what my source book says. Otherwise it's the same car as the 08, no change in colors either. I have no idea why they would shorten the 08 model year. :confuse:
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Maybe to increase the overall resale value.
  • Options
    How would that affect the resale value? On the contrary I think it will devalue the car. Say you have someone trading in an 07 for an 09 they would probably be told their car is a three year old model and worth less. I don't know it's goofy.
  • Options
    masrozmasroz Member Posts: 16
    I live in the Northeast and plan on buying a 2009 Camry with Vehicle Stability Control-Traction Control. Is this a worhwhile option - does it make a difference? Does it have any effect on gas mileage?
  • Options
    tjones39tjones39 Member Posts: 31
    To my knowledge the 2009 Camry with the 4cyl engine is getting a .3 bump in displacement to 2.7 and will have around 188 HP To better compete with the Honda Accord 190HP 4cyl and the Nissan Altima 4cyl.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, it's a very worthwhile and potentially life-saving feature. No, it will not affect gas mileage.

Check this out for more information.
  • Options
    I believe by 2010 all new cars will be required to have it. I love demonstrating it to customers on test drives. Easiest way to do it is to find a circle or an empty parking lot and do donuts as fast as you can. The vsc lights starts flashing like crazy and the warning beep also goes off. The car actually slows down and wants to straighten itself out. Very cool safety feature.
    Mack
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I know this is about a future Camry, but figured I might find some fans here...

A large local newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who are repeat Toyota Camry buyers. Please respond no later than Feb. 11 with your daytime contact information to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Are you sure ? The Toyota website still lists the 09 Camry 4 cylinder at 2.4L and 158 HP.
  • Options
    carguy65carguy65 Member Posts: 24
    I just bought an 08 will be in next week, their hungry now and I got a heck of a deal and $2500.00 to boot from Toyota (Feb incentive). Where are you in Canada?
    I am in Winnipeg.
  • Options
    adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    I was thinking about why they would introduce the 2009 so early in the year. My feeling is that Toyota wants to beat GM in total sales and that is for the model year. With a giant headstart on the model year, it gives Toyota a good shot in beating GM since GM always seems to introduce their new model year in or about September.
  • Options
    Yearly sales are counted by units not model year. I think they probably did it to counter the new Accord.
    Toyota did beat GM in 2007 for total global sales.
    :shades:
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Right on both counts! Sales are tabulated by units moved per calendar year, which can include leftover models from the prior model year (not so much in the case of Toyota, which traditionally does a good job of selling off the old models before the new models arrive in numbers).

Toyota beat GM because the latter was trying to include in its total cars built by Wuling in China. Problem is, GM has only a 1/3 stake in Wuling, so tabulators like Automotive News don't include Wuling products (about 500K units) in the GM total. This is no different than Mazda sales being reported separately from Ford Motor Company sales, because Ford has only a minority stake in Mazda.
  • Options
    waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Wow, 2009 Camry still only has 158 hp, making it the weakest 4-cylinder family sedan in its class. Hyundai Sonata is geting a boost to 175 hp next year. I see no benefit in geting a 2009 Camry at all.
  • Options
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Check the torque numbers. HP don't mean anything if there is no torque behind it.

'
  • Options
    cam4mecam4me Member Posts: 1
    I visited my dealer to inquire about the '09 Camry. From the discussion not much has changed from '08 to '09. What was really frustrating is the fact that the '09 Camry still does not have a Sat. radio antenna (such as Honda) available on the car. They still are using the cobbled up mess from '08. Guess Toyota hasn' figured out that Sat. radio is here to stay.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    While you may have received accurate info on the 09s, I wouldn't be too sure of that. I've yet to have a dealer rep acknowledge significant changes--even when I knew there would be--in an upcoming model. They want to sell what they have . . . . today, not tomorrow.

It's hard to believe Toyota isn't adding a built-in SR antenna. As to SR being here to stay, first, they need to stop losing money. :)
  • Options
    caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    No benefit?....... usually a bit lower hp, yet still with good torque, equates to better gas mileage than the others. As gas approaches 4.00 this summer, page me and tell me there's no benefit in owing a camry over the others. I still get mid to high 30mpg even though it is colder here now. When i 1st started accumulating my totals... it was about 65 degrees... and at 65 mph or less i could barely hit 40 mpg.Now with colder temps im around 36 to 37. I see a benefit of my lower hp camry.

Later
    Caaz
  • Options
    robber2robber2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am in the process of buying a 2008 Camry from a dealer here in south Texas. He ntells me that because I am Canadian and intend to export the car to Canada I am not elicible for the $1000 rebate toyota is offering. Do you if this true? I am finding it very difficult to buy a new camry from dealers down here. I have only found one so far but he is not giving me a great price. Any ideas.
  • Options
    All US Toyota dealers are prohibited from selling new Toyotas to Canadian citizens. You may purchase a pre-own and export it to Canada but not a new one. Seems like Toyota Canada is being hurt in the pocketbook due to their higher prices.
    Mack
  • Options
    exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Is there any reason side body moldings are not available on the 08 Camry They are pictured in the 08 Camry brochure. Dealers say they cannot get them from Toyota. I believe the Camry should have them as standard equipment to protect the car from careless door bangers..Do you have any info?
  • Options
    There are issues with the body side molding supplier. The product was not up to Toyota standards. The adhesive used to put them on does not hold up. Toyota is searching for a another supplier. I agree they should be standard, but it looks like they have gone on a cost cutting rampage since even the new Corolla and Matrix now show them as optional equipment. The other thing they have done is made the cross bars on the Highlander roof rack and option. That's another cheesy move on Toyota's part. I don't agree with it but unfortunately I'm not in charge. :blush:
  • Options
    Mack--The body side moldings are pictured in the accessory section of the 08 Camry brochure--I would like to get them installed if I could ever get them--I feel it protects the vehicle greatly.
  • Options
    I had these installed on the 07 and 08 Camry I have, their about $135.00 CDN, installed so not to bad, they are low on the body, and do not afford a great deal of protection, but I like them because they break up the big flat panels on the car, my opinion for what it's worth.
  • Options
    I ordered Silver and had them in 3 days? There was no mention of problems, or delivery, I had them on an 07 and had no issues?
  • Options
    I just bought an 08 Camry, and Toyota is offering a $2500.00 CDN rebate for Feb.
    I got about $3000.00 off the trade price and a good trade in value here in Manitoba.

The US models have to be approved by transport Canada for smog, and KM on the dash. Running lights and other considerations. Be careful.

The US models do not have the same standard features, your savings are nnot as great us yo may think. So a fully loaded Camry XLE V6 (with out tax was about $35K, with leather, spoiler, moon roof, power seats, heated seats, JBL sound system etc. Floor mats, mud guards, 8 spoke alloy wheels.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I got the dealer to install them as a condition of the sale when I bought my '07 a year ago. No problems with them, and I am glad I have them, because they have saved a dent/scrape at least once that I know of.
  • Options
    I just called my dealer on the body moldings--parts said they might have them shortly--also I had written a letter to Toyota and a person responded and said maybe in the spring they would be available. I had heard on some cars they were blowing off due to the aerodynamics of the Camry. From this forum I see some people are having them put on--It is hard to figure this out---maybe those living in warmer areas of the US?????maybe the stickum works better in warmer areas --been told Toyota wants to get it right if and when they are available--did see in the fine print in the 08 Camry brochure that some accessories are not available in every area. Are the folks getting them put on living in the south?
  • Options
    OK--I guess if they are available in the Canadian market it may wash out my warm weather thought on those body moldings--hard to figure this thing out--why only available in Canada?????????????
  • Options
    I live in the north, I drove to AZ last March and was in the heat 100f, and they stayed on I drove about 6,000 miles on the highway no problems, I also was may car a lot again no problems. I did have a problem getting them for my 07, but the car was very new a month old. I had them installed on my 08, and as I said I waited two days only to get them???
  • Options
    Could be a different supplier than in the US. You may try e-bay, I've seen them advertised and sold there and probably cheaper than the ones offered by Toyota.
    Mack
  • Options
    This whole things get confusing---I live in the Pittsburgh Pa. area and no luck with dealers and getting these moldings---if you have any more ideas I would be glad to hear them--I know aftermarket places sell these but if Toyota cannot get them to stick I wonder if aftermarket would? Is it really an aerodynamic problem with wind flow etc.--so confusing that a parts store could make make something better than Toyota--The other thing is that I would get them painted to match the car so I would have a couple hundred bucks in this and would not want them blowing down the highway--Thanks for any more info---------
  • Options
    I guess what is confusing is if one dealer can get them and another cannot--or if they just lately had trouble with some of them and so they just stopped distribution until they got the whole thing figured out--sounds if you may have had them put on sometime in the very early part of 2007--I bought my 08 in Oct. 07 and they were not available then or today---Thanks
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Got mine at a dealer near Pittsburg a year ago, and they have been perfect in all weather -5 F to 100 F.
  • Options
    It's not an aerodynamic thing. The adhesive is not up to par. I had not heard about the Camry moldings, only the Highlander. If you are able to get them they come already painted. Just make sure you get the color code for your car. It's on the door jamb on the driver's side door where the recommended tire pressure and VIN# are. Look for a four letter number combination or just the last three, something like 01g3 which is mag gray or 04q2 desert sand. It may also be shown as 1g3 and 4q2. Hope this helps you guys out.
    Mack
  • Options
    niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    For the Camry XLE model, even you pay MSRP in US (US$30K with stability control option) and after the $2500 in local CAD dealer, you can still save over CAD$5500 (after all importing cost). I don't know if someone will consider that is a small amount for saving $5500. If yes, you must be very rich, and you should buy a MB or BMW instead.
  • Options
    :confuse:
  • Options
    Thanks--any idea on that oil additive Toyota may advise at oil change intervals--never used any on previous 8 Toyotas I owned --never had engine problems or burned oil. What does that additive do that regular oil does not???
  • Options
    I think you are replying to someone else but I'll chime in. I don't recommend or use and oil additives. Most are just detergents and do absolutely nothing that regular oil does.
    Mack
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply--I agree--I think they want $5 extra for that additive-----------
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "What does that additive do that regular oil does not???"

Help pay someone's son's or daughter's college tuition....???
  • Options
    freemblapfreemblap Member Posts: 2
    Any Idea when Toyota is getting this?

I mean FORD has it!

Plus, why does my soul hurt?

Anyone?
  • Options
    Nope not rich, just trying to help the Canadian economy, the USA gets the manufacturing and Canada gets the sale, good business. Anyway, as I saw the US web pages I did not see you get leather heated seats standard? Mud guards, cargo net, floor mats, moon roof, the XLE V^ in the USA is different, because of these things, so the savings may not really be 5500.00 but rather less, but hey I do not blame you if you can save your hard earned money. Lest me know what you finally paid. It's hard to say with my trade in but I would say very close to $30,000.00.

Give or take a $1000.00, they will discount the car about $3500.00 and with $2500,00 off that's about $6,000.00 off the sticker. That was my good fortune.
  • Options
    A USA market Camry XLE V6 comes standard with leather interior and bun warmers, moonroof, 6 cd in dash JBL system, bluetooth capable, dual climate control, dual power passenger and driver seats. When you option one out with Nav our price is around 31K MSRP. In reality we get more standard equipment than our Canadian brothers and we pay less.
    :)
    Toyota now prohibits dealers from selling new vehicles to Canadian residents.
  • Options
    niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    After the discount, 09 Camry XLE is CAD$35030 + $1200 PDI compare to US$30500 (freight included) MSRP. You save more than $5500. You save $ on the GST & PST (the difference) too.
  • Options
    What part of Toyota doesn't allow US dealers to sell new Toyotas to Canadian residents did you not understand?
    Mack
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Plus there are often features, desireable features, included for the canadian market that are not available in the US. A Prius purchased in Canada has an electric heater for aiding the defrost/defog/demist functionality. DRLs that actually work, inclusive of street/parking/tail lights.

My '95 LS400 of canadian purchase origin has headlight washers, DRLs, and a windshield heater under the wiper area using engine coolant.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, my apologies, I was looking at several XLE V6 which did not have these items as standard, in Canada they only order the loaded version, no accessories available.
  • Options
    chicagocamrychicagocamry Member Posts: 29
    What percentage of Camrys are still assembled in Japan?