Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• jazzycarjazzycar Posts: 3
    I don't know what VSC is. Well I got everything sorted out finally. I traded in that lemon Camry. I bought a Hyundai. Hopefully they will stick to their warranty.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Posts: 427
    Good luck with your decision..My impression of Hyundai is well-below Toyota and 100k warranty sells cars..however it may not keep them running to one's satisifaction..resale of Toys are good and remain high..
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    You have every right to your opinion, of course, but you should check out our consumer reviews of the 2011 Sonata. Many more reviews of the Sonata, with an overall 9.5 out of 10, thank for the 2010 & 2011 Camry combined, both of which are rated lower by consumers. It's more than the warranty at this point, though if resale is a concern, the Toyota still does better.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• santocssantocs Posts: 54
    Hi, I have lot of questions.

1. Is anybody experiencing bad odour from their 2009 Camry when the A/C is switched on? I washed my car and i feel water or something has entered the front grills of my car and since then bad odour is coming up its been almost 9 months and its still not going and its bad when its rainy and less when the weather is hot.

2. I had my servicing done 3 months back and after they rotated the tires my car is drifting towards the right little.. i had to go on a vacation and could not take it back to the dealer on time and now he is asking me $60 + tax for tire alignment... Is it very necessary?

3. I am not at all happy with the Toyota Dealer i am going to for my vehicle servicing... Is it ok to get the oil changes done in Wal-Mart or Firestone etc? What are the advantages of taking it to a dealer itself?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited July 2010
    "1. Is anybody.."

Most everybody at one time or another in certain climate zones and with these more modern high(er) efficiency A/C systems will have experienced the "dirty gym socks" odor.

Approximately 10,000 square inches of tightly packaged evaporator cooling vane surface area and a pretty well sealed, restricted air flow-through cabin environment.

The simplest solution is to leave windows cracked just a bit during the night to let the accumulated moisture dry out. Also solves, mostly, the issue of sudden unexpected windshield fogging.

See airsept.com for a possible answer.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,087
    For the musty smell from wet evaporators, may I offer a couple more things I've done to what Wwest has offered.

If you are able to leave your car parked in the sun with the windows down at last an inch for air flow, I find that heats up the whole car and dries the offending moisture in the heater box. The windows allow the breeze to pull air through the heater and help dry it. If the day is really breezy, I will leave windows on one side open and close the others to help draw air through the heater box.

I also turn off the AC before I get home and turn the blower on HIGH for the last quarter mile or so. I sometimes let the blower run before leaving the car. Again, I feel that helps pull moisture off the fins inside the heater and drain out.
    also can anyone tell me how often i need to align and rotate the tires? I have not done it till now and i have around 22500 miles on my 2009 Camry and i am taking it for servicing today afternoon.

My car is drifting slightly to the right after the tires were rotated last time at the dealership..
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Maybe it's time to get out the owners manual and READ IT!
    Dmathews3 - If you have already read the manual.. why don't you tell the info to the forum??
    I don't mind helping people who help themselves but if you're going to drive/own a car than you can at least have enough common sense to know what kind and when to do maintainance on it. I stand by my orginal post. :shades:
    Dmathews3 - There is no mention about aligning the tires at regular intervals. All service schedule mention only about tire rotation and nothing about Alignment.

I also checked with the dealership about this and they also mentioned the same thing and said they would be doing this only during the 30,000 mile service.

I just put the post to get some info if anybody has any idea.

But unfortunately you did not have the common sense to understand it :shades:
    Unless you for example hit a chuckhole to many times than you shouldn't need an alignment. If by looking at your tires they are wearing evenly and there is no shaking or vibration in the steering wheel why would you want to spend money to fix something that isn't wrong? Every car I have owned stated in the manual when you need to get the oil changed. Most gave a couple different examples as in normal and extreme as in very hot weather, trailer towing etc. In the first couple days of ownership everyone should take the time to at least read over the mantenance part of their manual as it can save them time and money and in some cases big bucks due to lack of mantenance. Somewhere along the timeline of life you have to give up momma telling you what to do and take on that for yourself. In my original post I wasn't trying to be funny or a smart--- I was just trying to tell the person they need to do a little something for themselves and not rely on everyone else for your information. Second hand info can be dangerous and besides when to change your oil can and is different for most everyone as everyone has their own reasons for why they change it at certain mileages. Used to be every 1K in the old days as there were no filters on cars. Then 3K when filters were installed and this is what most dealers want cause it is big profits in oil changes. But most of us know that lots of new vehicles can go 10K and in some cases like my motorhome it goes once a year or 15K between changes. I make it a point to know what is required because in the case of the motorhome do I want to change 22+ quarts of oil every 3K miles?
    Has anybody experienced sticky residue on the top of the windows which goes inside the window frame... toyota dealer said that may cause the windows to get stuck and not roll properly. they cleaned one of them while servicing but left others.

Does anybody know if there are any cleaners available in market which can be used to clean them? I have used Meguars and Armoral sprays and cleaning cloths but they did not work.
    How about something like Simple Green. Good cleaner without all those harsh chemicals.
    That would be great... Please don't say to use "water" :)
    Straight Simple Green right out of the spray bottle onto a rag. Get it wet with S.G. and maybe a flat screwdriver and push cloth into window groove and scrub it out good.
    What is simple green? And what can i use for the residue on the window itself?

Thanks for the information.
    DMathew3, i found what is simple green :)
    We live in Mich and wife buys it at our local Meijers store which is like a Walmart Super Center. It works great for lots of things. I even use it to clean my white tennis shoes. As far as getting it off the glass I would think after the groove dries out as I think it has a kind of felt like material in the groove I'd just use a good window cleaner on the glass.
    Great product - I also like Magic Eraser (also good for shoe scuffs) and if something's super-sticky, Goo-Gone does a pretty good job.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a TSB for evaporator replacement for 2009 Camry? I had bad odour coming out from my A/C and last week when i reported this problem during servicing, the technician mentioned that there is a TSB for the evaporator and he would be replacing it after ordering the parts.

Please let me know if anybody is aware of the TSB and can provide some more details on that.

Since about 1991 Toyota (& Lexus) has experimented with various microbial fungicidal chemical coatings of the evaporator vane surface area in order to combat or alleviate these odors. Apparently Toyota neglected to register their use of these early on, circa ealy 1990's, and some of the later ones appear to have proved to be detrimental in the long term to human heath, or simply not adequate to the task.

The other problem, the "base" problem, is that in most cases these coatings simply "wash" off of the evaporator vanes over time and repetitive use of the A/C as a dehumidifier.

Here we are 20 years later and the experiment continues.

IMO the simplest and safest solution is to not use the A/C system EXCEPT for actual cooling needs and/or always leave the windows down slightly during the night or when parked for long periods.

Airsept(.com) has an EED which offers an "active" solution.
    Also it is known that long use of the reclirculation setting in which the air uses mostly cabin air becaise it is already been cooled once to put back through the system. While using regular air setting brings in all fresh outside air and from what I have read this setting most people don't have as much of a problem. Why this seems to be a bigger problem with Toyota vehicles I don't know but I have never had this problem on any cars I have owned both american and foreign.
    The dealer replaced the evaporator and also the cabin air filter and now i am not getting the bad odour.. May be it will take some time :).

But after the replacement, whenever i am starting my engine. i hear water or some fluid flowing inside the car, Its like water flowing through a channel or something. Is this normal?
    "...Why this..."

That's because Toyota's HVAC supplier, NipponDenso, Denso US, has a patent on a unique two-layer airflow feature. In essence this design ALWAYS uses some level of recirculate.
  • Hi,

My servicing is due at 27,500 but its now 27,900 miles, This is my 6th servicing and ideally it should coincide with 30,000 miles so should i do the major servicing which needs to be done at 30,000 or should i wait till 30,000 and then go again for that servicing?

Also after my evaporator was replaced as part of the TSB. the car sometimes shivers/vibrates when i put on the A/C while reversing the car or when its in idle state. Its worse when i put the defogger on as well.

Please advise what all servicing needs to be done as part of the 30,000 miles and it it a problem if ther servicing is due and car runs for few more 100 miles after the service due date?

Thanks,
    Year, model, engine..??

Clean the idle air bypass port/system if it has one.
  • 2009 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder
  • My car had around 28,000 miles and the dealer advised to go for the fuel induction service and also Air filter replacment..
    What exactly is this Fuel induction service?