Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Speedometer

Comments

• I did a search tonight because of a speedometer problem with my '05 XL Denali.

While driving over the weekend the speedometer suddenly ready 110 mph (at highway speed and kept going beyond the 120 mph maximum speed.

The needle is currently pointing at about 50mph (the truck has been shut off for over 24 hours.

Christina of GM Customer Service can you do a search on my VIN and see if there are any options for me? Last 8 digits are 5J144450. Thank you!!
  • I have just noticed the speedometer on my 2005 Yukon is stuck at a speed higher than zero when the vehicle is off and then the speed is off by that amount. I can start/turn off the truck multiple times and it will get back to zero but would like a solution for something that should be a basic component of the vehicle and last the life of the truck.
  • It looks like that special coverage on your vehicle expired last year on 05/13/2011, or at 80,443 MI, whichever came first. If we can answer any further questions, please send us an email at the address in my profile.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I don't know why i got this response since it was not my original thread.

If this is the response to my speedometer issue I would like to talk to someone regarding why GM puts something electronic on the vehicle that should last its lifetime and expect the consumer to pay for its failure when they did nothing wrong and normal wear and tear should apply.

Please let me know who can help me resolve this issue since I am noticably upset over this.

Thanks!

Lon
  • I'm sorry - I was going in to check your as well and our system is being difficult. I will have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Good morning Lon,
    Thank you for posting; that response was to a different user, but we'd be happy to look further into the speedometer situation with you. Please send us an email to the address located in my Edmunds profile including the last 8 digits of your VIN, your name, and your Edmunds username.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • It looks like the special coverage on this issue expired on 10/23/2011 or 80,004 MI, whichever came first. I'm sorry - I realize that this isn't the best of news. If you would like to get in touch to discuss things further, please contact us at the email provided in my Edmunds profile.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • SPEEDOMETER TROUBLES '04 GMC 2500HD VIN:1GTHK29U84E268429 55,300 MILES
  • Driving into work today, I noticed that my speed seemed really high for the actual speed I was running at. I was doing about 30 and it said 50.
    When I got into work, the needle was stuck at 30....and now its stuck.
    Please advise on whether this is a recall, and what I can do to address it. Seems like a problem that's happening a lot based on the posts.
    Thanks,
    JK
  • Good afternoon,
    We would be happy to see if there is a special coverage or open recall on your vehicle. Please send us an email at the address in my profile here on Edmunds with your name/Edmunds username and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dalderdalder Posts: 1
    Speedometer reads 20 MPH when standing still. Going 30, reads 50. Will this affect odometer?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    Why isn't this recurrent speedometer issue being listed as a full on recall?!?!?! I had the same problem approx. 4 years ago and it was covered under warranty. I told the dealer my problem, inaccurate readings at speed, anytime I went over 60 it would steadily fall to 0 and only reset after I shut vehicle off for 1 hour. He told me exactly what the problem was without any diagnostics because so many of the Yukon, Yukon XL and Denali's from 2003-2005 were having this problem. I had my gauge cluster replaced and 4 years later it works great and has never given me a problem.

A documented issue known to be widespread should be covered or recalled...this could be a safety issue for some people in my opinion.
  • sherilynnsherilynn Posts: 1
    My daughter has this same problem with her speedometer. She bought the car used from a GMC dealer.

When the problem started, she took it to the dealer and was told that there had been a recall on it but her mileage was too high now. She was NOT told about the recall when she purchased the vehicle from the dealer and did not receive any notice from GMC because it had gone to the dealership. At the time she purchased the car the mileage was under the limit for the recall.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Hello sherilynn,

We can check into the vehicle's recall and warranty information if you wanted to get us the last 8 digits of the VIN; we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jttimmonsjttimmons Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I have the same speedometer problem mentioned among many others disappointed GMC Yukon owners. When I contacted the dealer where I bought my vehicle, they quoted me $410.00 to replace the speedometer with a "Remaned Cluster". Another GMC dealer told me the part cost them $200.00, and with labor & reprogramming the new one an additional $210.00. This seems very expensive for a customer to have to spend even if they are are outside their warranty and a speedometer is such an important instrument in your vehicle.
    Where else can a GMC owner go to get help with such an important issue and get some reasonable satisfaction with this issue? Any help would be appreciated. I have 199,600 miles on my YUKON and keep good service, tires, oil changes, transmission service, etc... but something like this is disappointing. I called GMC Customer Service and filed a complaint #71-1065424534 . My Yukon 2004 VIN#3GKFK16204G316486 miles 199,600.
    I hope to receive some kind of Assistance from GMC in this matter due to it's severity while someone is driving a GMC vehicle and the fact that it's happened with several GM vehicles.
    Thanks for all the help.
  • dcpsu1992dcpsu1992 Posts: 1
    I see there are a lot of issues with the Yukon Speedometers, glad and sad that I am not the only one. I have a 2005 Yukon XL SLT, VIN# 1GKFK16ZX5J198091, current miles are 57,121. My Yukon was purchased new from Quality GMC in Albuquerque on 7/19/2005. As the weather got cold around Christmas last year, my speedometer stuck at the bottom of the gauge. Over time it went got stuck over the place except the speed I was driving. I know that there was a recall for these in '03, '04 and it appears some '05. Can anyone tell me if there is any recall available for this issue for my vehicle. I now live in San Diego and would like to get this issue fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Your current miles may get yours taken care of so go into the dealership and ask them about it. Mine was over 80K so it didn't apply. I did push it up the chain at GMC and got in touch with the customer satisfaction group and they ended up paying for the part - an entire new dash cluster ($450 I think) and I was only responsible for the labor - one hour at the dealership. I was sitll a little upset that I had to pay fr anything since a speedometer was just strange, but it worked out.

Good Luck!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon,

I checked your VIN and did not see the special coverage on your vehicle; however, if we can look into this further with you please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forum, will assist you further.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jr28jr28 Posts: 1
    I am having the same exact issue- very frustrating to see that GM seems to not be taking responsibility for fixing for the issue. Mine seems to get stuck occasionally and then it will go back to "normal." is that what most others have experienced? should I have it fixed?
  • Good morning jr28,

Sorry to hear that you're also experiencing some difficulties with your speedometer. While I cannot guarantee what the results would be up front, if we can look into this further with you please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2004 GMC Yukon and I think I have be through the worst. First of all let me start by saying I have purchased 8 yes I said 8 ( 2 of them being brand new Yuokon Denali from the factory)vehicles from the same salesman at the same dealership. When I got my 2004 Yukon I purchased an extended warranty. All the sudden one day my transmission goes out completly. So I take it in ( by tow truck) and miracously my warranty expired less than 1,000 miles ago. So I have to pay $2,600 for a new one. When I go to pick up my Yukon, I get in and the battery is dead, They say that this is just a coincidence and they give me a jump and I go to the local auto shop and buy a new battery. On my way home I notice that the speedometer is skipping (jumping) every 2-3 miles per hour. So I call back the dealership and they again say that it is a coincidence and want to charge me $550 to fix it. I ask them if they messed with my speedometer cable and they say no. I then asked if they had to undo the cable to replace the transmission and they say yes but they didn't do anything to hurt the cable. Now the speedometer wont move at all. Needless to say it is not fixed. Haven't completly decided how I feel about this. I really like the GMC Yukons just don't know if I can forget how I have been treated by a GMC dealer.
  • I'm having the same issue, Speedometer stuck on 60mph when standing still or even when its off, goes past 120mph when on the highway. Last 8 digits of my vin are 5J114549. Mileage 80,025.
  • Hello frank310,
    We're sorry that you too are having difficulties with your speedometer. If we can check into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Sarah,

I got an eamil from Christina on 10/18 with a case number. Just waiting to hear back.

Thanks
    Frank
  • Hi Frank,

Thank you for getting in touch with us; there have been some changes in our department since then and if you haven't already, you should be contacted soon by a new agent. Let me know if you don't hear from anybody, as I'm anticipating some miscommunications in this transition.

• How do you find out if there is a recall on your 2004 Yukon if you bought it used? Thanks!
  • I too am experiencing issues with the speedometer in our 2004 Yukon XL 2500 XLT. We first experienced it a couple years ago pulling our travel trailer. It happens only intermittently, but I am very concerned now that our daughter is old enough to drive and I don’t want her causing an accident if she reacts to a grossly inaccurate speedometer gauge (e.g moving @ 55MPH but gauge is @ 85MPH). Looking now to see what it will take to fix it, I can’t believe the number of GMC owners experiencing this same issue. Regardless if this is a formal recall or not (though it should be), why hadn’t we been notified of the issue and the resolution path? I don’t recall ever receiving a notification via our monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic report, email, nor snail mail. We purchased the vehicle new and GM has all our contact information. I look to GM to do the right thing and resolve this serious safety hazard ASAP.

Thank you for this forum...
  • I am having the same issue with my 2004 GMC Yukon. For a while my gear lights were very dim, then the gauges would either stop working or get stuck, finally every gauge died out and no longer come on. I brought it to my mechanic and he said that I need a whole new Instrument Cluster as he could not get it to come on and stay on. My husband ended up calling GM and was told that this was not a recall, but rather a "Safety Bulletin." The rep also admitted that they look a bit like an advertisement rather than a Safety Notice. I never recall receiving one even though we are the original owners of the vehicle. I can't believe that GM would admit that there is a faulty part in a vehicle by issuing a safety bulletin yet put a limit on when it can be replaced, 7 years or 75,000 miles in this case. Well, my vehicle has 120,000 miles on it so it looks like I'm out of luck according to GM. This is extremely disappointing as trying to order the part has proved to be a hassle. The part itself is about $200 then they want a $300 core charge until you return the old cluster. I was hoping GM would make good on the issue and am still holding out hope for this American company. I hope that someone responds and makes this right for all of us. I don't know how much longer I can wait and drive around with a non-functioning dash. Please take the time to respond GM Customer Service. Thank you.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,062
    Good morning robbmug,
    We can check your VIN to see if there are any open recalls on it; please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 digits of your VIN, mileage, and a summary of the condition you're concerned with.

• SARAH IS THERE NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE IN REGUARD TO A WAVE PLATE GOING OUT ONLY A FEW MONTHS AFTER MY POWER TRAIN WARRANTY IS VOID? I AM STILL UNDER ON MILES, HOWEVER IT WAS PURCHASED IN 2007 AND IS A 2008 ACADIA. THIS IS VERY UPSETTING. IVE ONLY HAD THIS VEHICLE NOT EVEN A FULL YEAR.