Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• normhnormh Posts: 31
    I'm a new Tundra owner ('06 Double Cab Ltd.) and I noticed that that 2 of the 3 homelink buttons are not illuminated when I turn my lights on. Can anyone help with bulb replacement?

Thanks,

Norm...
    Don't worry about replying to this post; I figured it out myself after getting a bulb part # and tip off of a Tundra Solutions web post. Remove the 2 screws in the sunglass storage bin and pull that whole assembly straight down. You can then easily remove and replace the bulbs with a small screwdriver. The Toyota part # is 90011-11038 for the bulb.

Norm....
  • osellrosellr Posts: 6
    I just bought an 08 tundra crew cab recently and I was wondering what any of you guys recommend when it comes to synthetic motor oil. Thanks for your help.

- Reed
  • tymtotrntymtotrn Posts: 10
    I have 22,000 miles on my 08 5.7 Tundra crew max, and have had every single oil change done using CASTROL FULL SYNTHETIC 5/20.. Usually change it every 4,000. Could probably make it to 5,000. I recommend it for your tundra.
  • osellrosellr Posts: 6
    Thank you for your help, I will
    keep that in mind next time I change my oil
  • I have this noise sometimes, and you can buy a spray, and spray the belt. That should take care of it.
  • jeff618jeff618 Posts: 29
    I tried something new - they're called Trico Tech Beam Blades (I guess they came out in oct or nov 09) and they fit the Toyota Tundra. I've been a Trico NeoForm guy for a while, but I tried the new Techs because they have a new mounting system that allows the wiper arm to sit slightly lower than in the past. The Techs are beefy as hell and look great with the new, lower side mount. They came with complete removal and installation instructions - very easy. Got them online. I like to change the entire wiper blade vs. just changing the rubber blade refills because of the abuse the ice and snow put them through - I figure better safe than sorry (plus much less hassel than dealing with those refills).
  • a8fana8fan Posts: 16
    Hey guys, what about these recalls??? :-(

Thanks for the info on the wipers.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    We've set up a discussion expressly for the Toyota recalls:

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• a8fana8fan Posts: 16
    The link did not work, but I'll check the board.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Sorry ''bout that... link repaired:
    Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chydechyde Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a rotational noise in the front end? It seems to get loudest around 35mph and during colder weather. I have had it in to Dealer 4 times and they even replaced right drive shaft. Didn't solve anythng. Very frustrated and just seemed to have started between 35 and 40 thousand miles.
  • hhugheshhughes Posts: 5
    Hi there,I have an 2006 Tundra ,4.7,4X4.What is the life expectancy of my timing belt?Also ,what does the manufacture recommend? What is the belt made of ? Thanks Harry...
    as far as I know, the tundra doesnt have a belt, it has a chain, good for the life of the vehicle. older models had belts, but they were converted to chain, with zero maintanance reguired. good luck
  • bbc123bbc123 Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 Tundra Crew Max, 4WD, with 5.7 engine. It has 54,000 miles, and I was planning to change oil in both differentials, transfer case, and possibly tranny. First vehicle I've owned without a tranny dip stick/fill tube. I have been using Amsoil fluids in EVERYTHING for many years, and am more than satisfied with their products. I was just seeking help/advice on procedures. This truck has always gotten very poor gas mileage. Any advice for that?
    Thanks so much, for any help!
    Bob :confuse:
    as far as I understood, the fluids are good till 100,000. I put an AFE cold air intake on my 5.7, 2008. Along with a Unichip computer chip. about 30-42 extra hp, and if you keep it on the less aggressive timing setting, ur gas mileage should go up at 1.5 mpg more.... good luck
    OK, sounds like those remedies could help, but what about the cost? In the past, with other vehicles, the cost of chips, and other performance-enhancing products, pretty much offset the benefits. I mean, how many miles would I need to drive, with 1-2 mpg improvement, to pay for these items? This truck will already just about outrun any other pickup, that I commonly come against. I must admit, even though I am not a racer, I do not like getting outrun! LOL!
    About the tranny, I have read (a little) saying that one must "purge" the tranny and all lines. I assume that this removes the need to remove the pan? I have purged transmissions, years ago, like the GM Turbo 350, but it took 2 people, and one could ruin a tranny, if done wrong (I was told). Is this "purging" similar?
    I need to go dig out my owners manual, but it seems like the recommended mileage, for changing the tranny fluid, is about 60,000 miles. (maybe that's for severe or dusty conditions, don't remember for sure). I live in West Texas, work in the oilfields, and am in extreme dusty conditions all the time, plus I pull a trailer part of the time too. Since I do not know how to actually check the fluid, I thought maybe I should change it, even if it's a little early. Any advice?
    The maintenance manual for the 2006 Tundra with the 4.7 liter, 2UZ-FE engine states that the timing belt should be replaced at 90K miles. It is made of a rubber and stranded fibers.

Norm....