Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute Transmission Problems

1234568»

Comments

• I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute and it has been a great car, until last Friday! I can put it in to drive and begin to drive, then it suddenly sounds and acts like it is in neutral. At first it only did this if I put on the brakes, like at a traffic light. Now, it does it even if I am not braking. What makes it more confusing is that if I put it in park, turn off the car and wait a few minutes then restart the car and put it in drive it goes just fine for a few minutes, then I am right back where I started, going nowhere! I do not hear any noise coming from the transmission, the fluid does not look burnt, etc. This has me suspecting it may be a sensor or some sort- Can anyone give me some insight?
  • nawnimnawnim Posts: 1
    having the exact same issue with the exact same car as alicewonders. 06 mazda tribute just replaced alternator and we even replaced the transmission because metal broke off of the inside of it. Now the new transmission is having the same issues as before and now the OverDrive light is on again just like before when the transmission gave out the first time resulting in a brand new one.
  • I purchased a 2002 Mazda Tribute 3 days ago from a small NH dealer, fr my 16 year old. I have driven it the last few days to make sure everything is o.k. before he gets behind the wheel. It has an automatic transmission that shift smoothly, no jerking, no noise, etc. I was on my way to work today and all of a sudden it just began to rev. I was in drive, but it seemed to have disengaged. I made a lot of people angry going from 55 to nothing in a matter of seconds, but was safely able to coast into a parking lot. I tried truning the car off and on, switching it between park and the other gears. Nothing. Transmission fluid is clean, no burning smell and no leaks, etc. The dealer sai he is not responsible for this adnt hat I bought it as an as is, which I understand. It has yet to get stickerd, and he gaurantesd a sticer, which now it won't pass. I am prepared to fight that battle. But as far as this issue happening, is it possible that it is something other than the transmission? I paid $3300 for this vehicle and don;t have the money to put a new transmission in it. Any help, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
  • Yah...i have the same issue with my 06 Tribute, where you able to find out what was wrong with it.
  • vango357vango357 Peabody, MAPosts: 5

@angrymom1 said: I purchased a 2002 Mazda Tribute 3 days ago from a small NH dealer, fr my 16 year old. I have driven it the last few days to make sure everything is o.k. before he gets behind the wheel. It has an automatic transmission that shift smoothly, no jerking, no noise, etc. I was on my way to work today and all of a sudden it just began to rev. I was in drive, but it seemed to have disengaged. I made a lot of people angry going from 55 to nothing in a matter of seconds, but was safely able to coast into a parking lot. I tried truning the car off and on, switching it between park and the other gears. Nothing. Transmission fluid is clean, no burning smell and no leaks, etc. The dealer sai he is not responsible for this adnt hat I bought it as an as is, which I understand. It has yet to get stickerd, and he gaurantesd a sticer, which now it won't pass. I am prepared to fight that battle. But as far as this issue happening, is it possible that it is something other than the transmission? I paid $3300 for this vehicle and don;t have the money to put a new transmission in it. Any help, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

By any chance was it Londonderry, NH. I bought my 2003 mazda tribute from a small dealer also, back in November, now my tranny is acting up and almost got me killed on the highway yesterday. Today engine reving upon start-up and tranny just isn't the same. **

Ok all you Tribute owners, this is an update on my tranny giving out on the highway 2 weeks ago. I was on the highway and went to pass someone and as I was speeding up my 2003 tribute just lost power, engine was still running but no shifting. I went from 70mph down to 30mph in seconds, almost got me killed. Since then rough idle, stalling, high reving rpm. End result this is what I did: Disconnected the Battery, Took out the entire air cleaner box, MAF Sensor and Air Idle Control valve. Cleaned all the duct work and air cleaner box in kitchen sink-after taking the MAF Sensor off of course. Bought Some MAF spray cleaner at Autozone and cleaned as directed. Cleaned Air Idle Control with Trottle body cleaner from Autozone and cleaned as directed. I manually opened up the throttle body on the intake and sprayed inside and wiped clean. My Air filter was only a month old so I cleaned out any debri and vaccumed it. Re-installed everything back in place. Connected the Battery. Got in Turned the key and efter a little Hesitaion started right up with no high reving. Let it run to normal operating temp then put AC on full blast for about 5 min. Now driving it at least 15 miles to reset computer. END RESULT- My Tribute is running better than ever, smooth idle, shifting is perfect and I,m actually getting better gas mileage. Not to mention-this 3.0 v6 takes off like a fricken rocket. Hope this helps. Any question or pics, info, feel free to send me a shout. Steve : )

1234568»