Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, MP3, AUX questions

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That is NOT an edmunds.com forum.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • imamgimamg Posts: 136
    Go to Mazdausa.com and register as an owner... you're given the owners manual in a pdf format... it's also a good way to keep track of warranty info for your car.
  • woody25woody25 Posts: 2
    If you buy the CX 9 with navigation system it will play the CD/MP3/WMA files, but not with the regular cd player as it will not play MP3. But for the Ipod jack, it will not play from your Ipod unless you buy and seperately install a Ipod integration device. Does anyone have any better solution? I want to play my ipod in my fully loaded CX9 grand touring.
    You can play your ipod through the aux port in the center armrest... what you dont have with that is onscreen direct control of the ipod or the one plug charging that you have with the integration mondule
  • woody25woody25 Posts: 2
    I just bought a CX-9 with the navigation system, Sirius satellite radio, and rear seat entertainment system. Obviously my first shock was that I could not use my Ipod in it. After reading the discussions here I went to my dealer and asked whether they can install TD13-79-CFZ (switch box) for me. They said it will not work. So I called Mazda and their tech support said the same thing. I am now confused. Does it realy work? Can some one help me with more information on it.
  • jamueljamuel Posts: 7
    I have the nav system and satellite radio. All I can tell you is that I got the same response from my dealer. They said they called tech support and was told it would not work. I told my dealer to order it, install it, and I would pay for it, whether it worked or not. And guess what..."IT WORKS".

I can’t answer your question directly because you have the entertainment system and I don't, you may have to take a gamble on it like I did and just tell them to do it.

What I’m waiting for is for someone to try the Ipod module along with the switch box. It would be great if I didn’t have to remember to turn the Ipod off every time I get out of the car.
    It's the ipod module that will NOT work with the nav/sirius system... the switch box brings back the aux capablities... there's confusion... but realy when looked at.. there shouldn't be...
  • Thanks for the confirmation/clarification. I have decided not to buy CX9 at this time for other reasons. Going with a conventional minivan (Sienna) instead.
  • You are right ... I stand corrected. It is some other Mazda discussion forum.
  • Anybody hearing problems with the on board Bluetooth system in CX9? On about 3 of 10 calls from my wife's car there is wall to wall static/white noise that eliminates any opportunity to talk. If we hang up and try again it typically works ok. I have tried it on her phone wihtout the bluetooth and don't have the same problem.
    Thanks.
    We use it all the time in our Cx9 and have never had that issue... it took a moment to get used to the initial lag time on the connection of calls... but no static situations as you are having. I'm curious, how do you use it on her phone that does not have bluetooth ? :confuse:
  • epicardepicard Posts: 15
    Just bought an '08 CX-9, with the bose system (not the nav system, not the DVD player) and 6 CD Changer. It does NOT play MP3s. It's very frustrating. The manual says that there are two versions of the 6 CD changer - one that supports MP3 - one that doesn't. Dealer is telling me that the one that supports MP3 is NOT the Bose system. And that I'm Out of LUCK. Am hoping to find out that this isn't true. To be clear - I don't want to use an iPod - I want to use CDs burned with MP3s. I have 10 CDs burned that way from my other car, which worked great. Odd that you lose functionality when upgrading the sound system.
  • sedmundsedmund Posts: 93
    I have a 2007 GT CX-9 with Bose system (and NAV). It does play MP3 CD's.
  • I was just wondering if it is possible to add an aftermarket rear DVD entertainment system to a CX9 that has a moonroof in it? I didn't think it was, but one dealer told me otherwise. Does anyone know the answer to this?
    It is possible... I'd suggest going with the headrest versions... they give you two with individual controlls... a great separate feature... had I gotten the m/roof version ... i truly would have gone the head rest route ...
  • epicardepicard Posts: 15
    Really! Can you send me any information you have on this? Everyone I talk to says this isn't possible... Can you send me a picture of the front of your CD Changer? epicard at gmail.com (substitute the @ symbol for at).

Thanks in advance! You might have made my week!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,183
    Please post pics on your CarSpace page album so we all can enjoy them. Someone is sure to search this discussion in three years and they'd really like to see a pic of the changer too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello all:

I am about to buy a CX9 Grand Touring with Nav / RSE and Sirius. I will have the dealer install the switchbox. Two questions:

If the dealer gives me grief on the switchbox install, has anyone installed it themselves? I am not afraid of cracking open the dash, have done it quite a bit before.

Has anyone gotten the iPod module to work with Nav, Sirius and the Switchbox?
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    The dealer I went to this weekend says he installs them all the time for about $1200. He says the factory version has longer bolts that would get in the way of the moonroof, but his aftermarket versions don't.
  • I just had my Sirius radio installed on my 2 month old 08 CX-9. It worked OK but later when I tried to set-up my Bluetooth I received no audible prompts. I had to return it to the dealer for repair who mumbled something about another wiring buss they should have used. Of course, everytime I take it in in something else becomes inoperable...this time my dash 12v outlet doesn't work. QUESTION: Will my iPod aux jack not work because I had the Sirius radio installed? What is that fix?
  • The dealer repaired my Bluetooth which was disabled when Sirius was installed. I just set up my phone and I noticed that the prompt and calls only come thru one speaker on my left. Is that normal or should it be coming thru all the speakers? Your answer will be appreciated.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Bluetooth hand-free is 1-channel sound for now.
    On my other vehicle, it also comes out of the driver-side speaker only.
    On Lexus, it comes out of both front speakers but is that better? I don't know.
    It is not stereo. More speakers do not help much.
    Due to the 1-channel nature of Bluetooth, try not to talk over each other during conversation....
    P.S. there is stereo Bluetooth for music, but not for hand-free.
  • There are several other posts that are similar to this, but I didn't see anything that answered this question specifically. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I recently purchased an '07 CX-9 Grand Touring with Nav, Satellite Radio and a DVD system. Like many others, I was very disappointed to discover that the presence of the satellite radio had disconnected the Aux jack for my .mp3 player (the aux jack is one of the main reasons I purchased a new car - I'm sick of using an FM transmitter!) and I didn't discover it until the purchase was complete. I purchased the car used.

I don't want to spend the money for the switchbox to make the aux port and the satellite both work because I don't care about satellite radio - I'll never use it. I called the dealership and asked them if they could disconnect the satellite and re-connect the aux port. They said that they could.

However, a question has since come up in my mind with respect to the DVD entertainment system. To play the sound from a DVD through the car speakers, I press the Media button on the Nav console, which I understand is also the button I would press to play .mp3s through the car speakers. I don't want to fix the aux port only to find that I can't play DVD audio through the car's speakers. I called the dealership and posed this question to them, and they "thought" it wouldn't be a problem. However, I don't want to go pay for this service only to discover when it's done that something else doesn't work. Do any of you have any experience with this?

I LOVE my CX-9, but I'm frustrated out of my mind with how kludgy all of the electronics seem to be!

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input!
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Do you have Sirius? You might have to get a switchbox to get things working properly.

If you don't have Sirius, the plug might not be seating properly and toggling both channels. I'll assume that headphones work properly in your MP3 player (i.e. you get both channels), so try removing/inserting the cord slowly from the aux input to see if it toggles both channels. Try doing the same on the player side while the cord is plugged into the AUX. If it does toggle, it's not seating properly--might have to get replaced.

I'd plug another MP3 player into the AUX and see if it has the same issue. Or plug your MP3 player into a receiver in your house using the same cord used in the CX-9 (might have to get the bigger adapter that plugs into the headphone port).
  • Thanks for the reply. Actually I had tried what you suggested earlier with no luck and yes, my headphones work properly with the same cords.. I had just upgraded my MP3 and tried with both my old one (RIO) and my new one (Zune). I tried a gold double jack cord as well as one from my Bose headphones. I'm thing the jack is not wired correctly. I will try the receiver at home also. May have to try in another vehicle at the dealer to prove out. If I find the problem I will post.
  • I got a new hi-quality cord at radio shack and that did the trick. The bose headphone cord is specific to the headphones and my other cord must of been single channel or not quite right on way or another. Anyway, sounds awsome now and I'm a happy camper. Thanks all.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    If you didn't get your answer yet...

Yes you can disconnect the SAT and re-connect the Aux jack.
  • I just had the Sirius receiver installed and now my Bluetooth isn't functioning properly. It seems that the voice activation and calls are going through but I'm not getting any volume. The dealership said they would contact Mazda about the problem. I'm worried they're going to try to make me purchase a switchbox and don't feel like I should have to after spending $500 for the Sirius. How can I get the Bluetooth back up and running since it's one of my favorite and most used features?
  • Quick question: What exact kind of cable should I buy in order to connect my i-Pod to the Auxiliary port inside the front console? Where should I get it (Apple? Mazda? Radio Shack?). Also, with such cable, is the i-Pod screen going to be displayed on the Navigation/Audio screen? How about a video i-Pod? How does this exactly work? Thanks!
    You need a dual male end plug... same size as your headphones... one to go into the ipod...the other to go into the aux port. No, it will not display anything in the nav system...only with the ipod integration unit will that happen... you can get the plug from all of the above... they're easy to find and not very expensive... once you plug it in... tune your audio system to "aux" once you do... it's on... one thing people run against is the volume issues... turn the volume up on the ipod... then adjust it in the car. To me it sounds great...works fine...and is a plus... It's much like sticking in the old dummy casset in a player so you could use a cd player (back in the day) if you didn't have one in the car...