Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,634
    Yes Steve, I do know this. I always look to see where the the icon is pointing...our first rule when getting into a car is to check the gas gauge to see what the situation is. We have 4 vehicles in the family fleet and two of them are on the passenger side of the car and two are on the drivers side. The Honda and Hyundai are on the drivers side while the Nissan and Mazda are on the passengers. Stick, our Mazda and your Volvo are the same body just with different front and rear fascias among other things. When I was thinking of purchasing the S40 a few years back, I noticed how similar both cars were. To this day, I'm still a bit sad that I didn't do the swap and buy the Volvo but that's part of life. Now that I'm driving a nit more, I'm thankful for the better mpg's of my Civic. It's all a trade off I suppose.

Really had no idea that the Spark was on sale in the states through Chevy...seems very much like a shrunken Sonic. Hopefully I'll get to drive a Sonic but haven't seen too many of them in the lots we cover.

Fin, Sixt is a client of ours and I have noticed that they do have C Classes in their fleet so I should Be able to snag one eventually. The great thing about this job is that we never know which client is going to want us to move what where. We did a Key West run yesterday for Dollar and they needed us to do another one this morning. I did have to bow out today as scheduling became an issue for me as I still do have a life outside of work. My crew chief was cool about it but I also gave him over a weeks notice about today so he was well aware. Hopefully I'll get a call later today or in the morning about another run somewhere. I've learned to keep my cell near me at all times and tend to get up around 7:30 just in case I'm needed. I like to bring a snack and some drinks as I can't eat fast food every day.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    We have 4 vehicles in the family fleet and two of them are on the passenger side of the car and two are on the drivers side.

Never fails; two cars here and the fuel doors are on different sides. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,560
    Sixt also has the E cabrio and SLK in its Florida fleet - you might get lucky sometime. I rented an E350 from them last year at a bargain rate. They have just opened a branch in Seattle, but no highline cars yet - they will come around in a few months, I think. If there are good deals, I might just take a rental for a little local road trip - I'll spend $40 a day to use a brand new E-class, like I did in FL.

I hope you get some fun runs in the near future, will be interesting to see what you drive, and what's available.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,901
    I saw an ad in the WSJ for Sixt franchisees....

It starts out with needing $150K free, but looks like you could possibly need $750K to get it going.. :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yikes. Just a little more than I have on me right now. Maybe they'd take a check :shades:
    You'd never have to buy another car, though... so, there is that savings.. ;)

We could be partners!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'll provide the labor, you supply the money :shades:

Would be kind of cool though, like ky said, could use a rental as my personal car. Sixt E350 Cabrio, please. I wonder where I should put a franchise, maybe another location in Florida (they have nothing north of Orlando).
    Today I read that the 2013 Avalon is in the National fleet, in Fort Lauderdale anyway.
    New deal with National hit my e-mail today... I'm now renting a car for one day... for....

$17.57!! all taxes and fees included...

:P

edited February 2013
    And let me guess, that email is just good for you? We're renting a midsize in Seattle in mid April for $38 from EZ.

I can't post the e-mail, naturally, but here is the link to the "last minute deals"

National

I didn't need to log into my account to get it to come up..

edited February 2013
    Thanks, have to check that site the last few days before we leave. We have a confirmation number with the other outfit but don't have to pay until we actually show up at the counter. Our rate doesn't look too bad compared to some of those last minute ones. Hawaii has gone nuts.

Seattle is notoriously expensive for rentals, especially when tourism picks up. Good luck on finding a decent rate. If I was renting from Seatac specifically, I would check Sixt as they will have new cars and good rates, or maybe Fox etc for low prices.
    Hoping to see a 2013 Avalon soon and take it on a long drive. Going to Orlando for Dollar in the a m and just hope I snag something interesting this time. Really looking to try a Verano or Regal as I hear they are superb on the highway! My bud got a C Class on Sunday from Sixt from Lauderdale to Miami and I was so bummed it wasn't moi! My dream car!

edited February 2013
    I think we rented from Fox one time. Maybe that's how I wound up in a fire engine red stripper Mustang years ago. We had an "off-site" rent-a-wreck cheap reservation one trip and the company wasn't open the day we arrived (a Sunday). That was a fun scramble. :shades:

Sixt does looks pretty reasonable, but they don't have any fancy cars at the airport lot. No E-Class, no SLKs, not even a Genesis. What kind of two-bit operation are you running there? :P

That link is on the regular National site... I think it's updated each Tuesday..

Will be a very smooth ride, I hope you get something fun too. Every workday is kind of like Christmas morning for you - sometimes you get a pair of socks, sometimes a Red Ryder BB gun :shades:

Sixt sometimes has amazing rates on its nicer cars. When I rented my E last June, they had C for under $30/day - if you like the car so much, you should treat yourself and take one for a few days.

Here's the E I got from Sixt in FLL last year:

edited February 2013
    Yeah, I bookmarked it. Will lock stuff in when we Priceline the airport hotel the week we travel. We can always bum a ride with the relations if we pooch the deal and wind up without a car. Or we'll just take the rail/bus up to Wallingford.

It seems to take a few months for the branches to get highline cars, the one at SEA just opened a few weeks ago. You're a cheapskate anyway, I don't see you renting an SLK :P

SEA has a new rental car facility - technically everything is offsite now, with a shuttle from the main terminal.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, we figured finding something even at the last minute would work out since they've lumped all the rental shops together. The other off-site place was practically in Tacoma, lol. One year we just went downtown to rent and that worked well, since we could park in the rental lot for free, which was just a couple of blocks from the motel. My wife was on a paid junket that trip.

We're funny about deciding what we'll spend money on. I'm sure we'll spend way more on dinner that night that we'll pay for the motel room. But a luxo ride would be kind of fun for one day.

It all depends on where you'd be staying. If you are downtown a lot, it might be better to not get the car until you are done in the city. Driving and parking in downtown Seattle is about the 12th level of hell.

If on a long/leisure trip, I priceline/hotwire hotels, and rent a nicer car in exchange. For shorter, I just go cheap (on a 4 day trip in 2011, I got an Impala with 4 miles on it from Thrifty for $17/day).
    Oh, we have an early flight out the next day so we're crashing at one of the airport hotels. We essentially have a long layover in Seattle (~20 hours) which worked out great since we only get one stopover on our free miles ticket and we're not flying back through there.

So we'll see the brother-in-law and hit Rays or somewhere and be on our way at 8 am. Assuming the in-laws here don't get sick lol (we buy a lot of travel insurance these days).

Now that's one beautiful ride! I never thought about that but it's the perfect idea really. Rent one for a few days just to see if it's something I could really live with and if not, I at least had some fun. I also like the idea of staying in a less expensive hotel and splurging on the rental because honestly, how long is one really in the room? More time is spent outside exploring the destination and getting to that destination.
    Thanks for the idea...I never even thought about it!

We often camp in the woods for free or find a primitive forest service site for $10. Then we go to town and blow $100 for dinner. :-)

I think that one cost me $43/day out of FLL, from Sixt - that included all taxes and fees. Bargain. I think it can be more or less repeated now, at the right time, too. As you are in the area, you can shop around for the cheapest dates, and try that C-class. They should have active satellite radio, too - but I am pretty sure the Sixt C fleet lacks nav.

For me, a car is a big part of the trip - only car people will relate to that. If I wanted a fancy resort experience, I probably wouldn't be renting a car at all.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I will be renting a car for the first time in a few years next month. Flying to California to visit family.

Economy class (Kia Rio or similar) from Burbank airport - $170 with taxes and fees for 5 days.

I know, it's not a C-class or a Volvo or some other premium make, but I just need A to B transportation.
    edited February 2013
    "Luxury-car rentals are rapidly growing, and for some, you don't have to spend all that much more than you would for a full-size sedan. The nation's largest car-rental firm, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, which usually focuses its business on the lower end of the market, has expanded its "Exotic Car Collection" to 13 locations in six states, recently adding Houston and Naples, Fla. Hertz Corp., the second-largest, says rentals from its luxury-vehicle collection grew 15% between 2011 and 2012.

And last month, a startup company called Silvercar began renting nothing but silver Audi A4s with customized technology at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Current prices start at only $55 a day."

And this one deal must be hidden, sold out or over:

"Sixt Rent a Car, a European agency now rolling out operations in the U.S., is currently listing a deal in its new Seattle-Tacoma International Airport location on a Mercedes C-Class sedan for $50 a day."

The Rise of the Rent-a-Porsche (WSJ)

Fun thing, renting highline cars has been normal in Europe for eons.

I'd also like details on the SEA Sixt having highlines - not on the site. I sent a message to a corporate spokesperson who said he would look into it, hasn't replied. But the company has had highlines elsewhere in the US for some time, at rates much less than the pricey Hertz Prestige Collection. I rented an A6 from Hertz in Vegas back in 07 - cost around $80/day, which I thought was a good deal.

$130/day for a Malibu? I've got a bridge to sell that person.