Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    The only problem? It took 15 minutes for me and my son to decide on a car... My wife was ready to jump in one and leave us....

My wife had the same feeling ... However, I will pick any car that has the Hertz Never-Lost and Serius Radio regardless of the model of the vehicle
  • My rental experience with AVIS was disastrous. I got duped when I picked up a rental car at FLL in Florida. At the counter I was asked if I wanted to pre-pay. I asked for an explanation of pre-pay. I was told that it is the cheapest and most convenient way to pay for the gas used. That turned out to be a complete lie. When I contacted AVIS customer service to complain I was told in a condescending way that I should have read the contract instead of relying on what the AVIS representative told me. No one told me that if I select pre-pay, I would be charged for a full tank of gas no matter how much gas was left in the tank when I returned it to the airport. That amounts to customer deception and is a complete scam. I was refused a $29 refund which was the amount charged for filling up a tank that was already full. :mad:
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Yes, prepaying for gas and also the rental company optional insurance ridiculous rates are two of the biggest scams the car rental agencies have going. They like to quote per gallon lower than market prices for a full tank of fuel but most people do not consider the per gallon rate if they still have a lot of fuel left in the tank when they return it.

I fill up the tank when I get within 5 miles or so of the airport on the return and my credit card company covers my rental insurance when I use their card to rent the car.
  • dturrdturr Posts: 70
    My company has a so called deal with Avis and every car in the last 12 months has been a clunker. The last car out of Miami was stinking had stained seats and over 36k miles. I complained and complained until I received to $25 vouchers. My son in law currently has a Dollar hire car that is over 30k miles he took back the first one which had no central locking and wind down windows and a huge noise in the brakes. Might as well go to "rent a wreck". !!
  • Avis Germany (Frankfurt) is scamming US renters at the price of $660 for a small cratch (under 1 inch) not caused by renter - by just charging it to your credit card and producing phony estimates. Stay clear of them!!
  • Like others, I was victimized by the Enterprise dent scam. Had a totally beat Mitsubishi Lancer, with a hole in the floor carpet where you rest your heel. Had the car one day and these losers found new dents on the roof and hood. The people at the regional office did not even have the good grace to return my calls or letters. Totally unsatisfying experience. Would have been much worse had I not had Amex rental car protection; I can't believe they just paid out. It would have been over $1000 to me. Will never rent from Enterprise again.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,204
    My wife was victimized by the Enterprise dent scam as well, but on a Mitsubishi Galant. They claimed the right rear door had a new ding on it that wasn't there when she received the car. We caught them in a lie because we found the last renter's paperwork in the car from a month prior showing that dent was already there. The associate became all mush-mouthed and let her off the hook. These scumbags were going to hit her up for $550 for a tiny ding! Nowadays, we bring a digital camera and take pictures of the car from all angles while the car is still at the rental place to prevent this scam from happening to us again.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    My sister thinks she got scammed by Hertz in England in August. She was quoted rates in dollars then told to pay in pounds. Her bill was ~$200 more than she was quoted.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,305
    I do the same thing - take photos, and maybe even a digital video. I suspect the rental employees get a commission for damage claims just as they do for upselling redundant insurance.
    Maybe she misread the website :shades: ...always good to make a printout of quotes like that.

For foreign based sites, I find one can also get a far better deal if they use the native country/site vs the US or global site.
    She's not on the net, and yeah, that's likely part of the problem. She did go through the US "international" Hertz number but things apparently changed when she got to the actual ticket counter. And then she got surly help.

I kept telling her just to take public transportation for a change anyway, and now she wishes she had.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,808
    I've been looking to rent a car for a Christmas visit to the Tampa area this year. The cheapest I could find was $850/week for a sub compact. Yikes.

When I've visited in November in previous years it was more like $40 a day. Does the holiday push up demand for rental that much?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

Ah that's it. That stinks, I don't doubt someone elses error led to her problems - and Hertz isn't cheap anyway.

If she's in a city with no plans to go to a rural area, no need for a car. I'll be on the continent in a few weeks, and I am actually looking forward to a couple of train trips I have planned, and getting around the city with efficient transit.
    I usually find dealing with a car more hassle than it's worth in foreign countries. Now that navigation systems are available, that helps. But my wife can get us anywhere on public transist (outside the US and Canada anyway). We can travel weeks with just day packs so that helps too.

I like to drive in new areas, with weird cars and strange signs. You pay for it, but it can be enjoyable. To drive on roads where LLCing is not acceptable can be an eye-opener. And yeah, with nav everywhere now...anyone can get around. So many rental cars in Europe have nav now, even midrange models.

In my next trip, half of my time I will have no car, half of the time I will, where my intinerary just won't work without one.
  • andyz3andyz3 Posts: 8
    Try booking a car online through Florida Sun Car Rental. They reserve cars through there affiliated agencies (Dollar, Thrifty Avis etc.) I got a great deal last winter in Fort Myers. I believe it was a Thrifty agency. Price was better than Thrifty’s own website or any travel search engines Booked a midsize car, drove off in a Chrysler Pacifica at same quoted price. They must have rented all the mid sized cars. The car was clean but had a few scratches that I showed the attendant before I left the agency. I plan on using them again. I don’t know what the price would be during Christmas but you might give them a try
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,105
    I seem to get the cheapest prices with Alamo in Florida..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• berriberri Posts: 4,268
    I'd check for affiliate rates like corporate rate your comany may have, AAA, or AARP. Sometimes your insurance company or charge card also have discounts and good rates. After I checked all of that, I'd also check the rate your airline is offering when you book your ticket - once in awhile I've actually gotten a good deal through American and United, although most of the time I've found that one of the other rates is better. Finally, you may be able to use frequent flyer or hotel points toward a rental. Good luck.
  • Last week needed a sapcious vehicle to bring back some cargo from a remote office location. Booked a small SUV (RAV4, Escape, etc.) from Hertz Local Edition. Have a #1 Gold membership, used the internet site and didn't check the fine print. Apparently Hertz doesn't offer unlimited mileage on all classes of vehicles, I learned this reading the rental agreement. At pick-up I was advised no small SUV available, it would be something larger. I off-handedly remarked the bigger the better. I was handed the keys to an Infiniti QX56 and advised it had a crack in the windshield which the knew about and had documented. The rental was fine, with the exception of the poor gas mileage, but upon return realized the rate had climbed $10/day plus the mileage charge. The Hertz agent was very helpful and adjusted off as much as he could, but it was still way more expensive than I had planned for.
    I can't remember the last time I rented from Hertz, and from the recent reports, I think I'll try to avoid them for a while.

OT, but I still laugh about the older flyer who rented a car here in Boise about 5 years ago, shortly after a big airport remodel. When it came time to fly home, she drove to the airport and saw a sign for the rental car agencies. So she drove up to the end of the terminal where two big double doors opened for her. Then she drove into the building, continued past baggage claim, took another right and parked in front of the rental car counter. Got out, gave her keys to the agent and headed for her gate.

The airport hustled and got the bollards placed in front of the doors after that. :D

USA Today

• fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    Boy, you can't beat that for convenience! :D

OK - after a nice 5 year hiatus I'm heading to Orlando in a couple of weeks and need to rent a car for 5 people. I'll throw the floor open for nominations on best deal. AA? Costco?.... My usual old trick is reserve as small a thing as will do what I absolutely need and talk them up a level or two once I'm at the counter.
    Monday through Friday? 10/26-10/30

Alamo has an Impala for $184 for the week..

Use ID 7014667

About $236 w/tax, and no other extras.. That's about $47/day including tax... not great, but not bad..

That's without any sort of coupon... You may be able to combine that with something else, if you can find a coupon code.

I'll take a look. We'll actually ne 11/1 - 11/9.

That would do the trick. Boy, I'd be afraid to ask for a free upgrade. Maybe they'd put me in a Venture. :sick:
    I'm renting a "luxury" class car in Germany in a few weeks, for 9 days. I don't even want to say what that's costing...and I bought insurance, too.

There's also about 20 different classes of rental cars there, too.

My last rental was a nearly new Focus from Enterprise. Cost under $30/day, no problems.
    A friend of mine just got a Grand Prix as a rental as his normal car will be in the shop for a bit. He said after a mile he was already starting to ache from the poorly designed seat :sick:
    Keeping eyes out for a coupon code for 11/1 - 11/9.....
    Never used 'em, but this site was recommended for rental coupons.

Alamo out of Orlando...

Use ID: 7014667 (special.. 10% off Florida rate)
    Coupon code: AD6974JDM ($25 extra off)

Full size car (Impala or similar) is $398 + taxes and fees ($527 total) for the entire time period.. November 1st-19th.. That's under $30/day including tax..

Those codes are straight off their website... no affiliation needed.

The great thing about rental car reservations... is you don't have to guarantee them... Book that one now, and keep shopping..

regards,
    kyfdx

My friend was able to exchange his POC Grand Prix rental for a Rondo. He says it seems like a 100x nicer car....which is scary. I rode in it today...41K on the clock :surprise: ...lots of wear and tear,but nary a rattle and everything seemed to be holding up. Homely thing, but I can see why some might buy one, especially for the right price.
    Where the heck are he places for the user ID and coupon code on Alamo? I don't see it.

The trip is 11/ 1 - 11/9 - 8 days. So far I'm at $283 for a Taurus plus all the fees that kick it up to $400. Anyone?