Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Hyundai Genesis!!! Off to work and will report in later but all I can say is...Hyundai Genesis!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    Prepare to be disappointed.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I've never heard of a Captiva. Who makes it? What is it?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    The Captiva is the old Saturn VUE (2008+ MY) with a Chevy badge on it.

Sold exclusively to fleets; when they are rotated out of the fleet they may show up on a dealer's lot.

Still offered with the 3.5L and 3.6L V6 engines.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Funny thing about Sirius radio - the subscription in my rental expired this morning. Luckily I had my SD card with me. I am surprised someone got a ticket, as driving in central FL to me seems like driving in a Russian dashcam video. Some funny and dopey stuff out there - a lot faster moving than at home, and a lot more illogical.

And yeah, about the Genesis, many claim it is kind of half baked.

There's an Avis branch in the hotel I am at now. A line of normal cars, but they did have a Camaro SS convertible.

Here's the new ride:

To be really honest, I didn't think it was half bad but remember, I only drove it for 30 or so minutes, not enough time to make a well informed decision. I would need to live with one for a week or two to even begin to make an informed opinion but from my short time, it accelerated briskly when needed and the audio system was decent enough though a tad confusing at first...would need a through reading of the directions to get the ultimate sound reproduction. Also I would need to really adjust the seats/mirrors etc. to get the full driving experience. Usually, we jump in the vehicles after checking the fuel level and making sure there are no dents and scratches and we're off. I barely have time to adjust the radio station for some of the smaller runs. The longer trips give me more time to set things more comfortably and really look around the cabin and feel how controls really work.

Had a Toyota Avalon today with just over 39k and the leather was dirty and the car was pretty trashed up. It drove very nicely though and seemed like a decent vehicle though it was not the latest generation. The Captiva I had the other day was an excellent driving vehicle, quite smooth which probably had a 6 cylinder under the hood. It was an up level LTZ so it has XM and leather and was the perfect size for something I would consider as a d d...a very nice vehicle!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    a white E class? way to change things up!

and does Sixt know that you are beach running the thing?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No worries, Fin will have it detailed better than that guy did in Seinfeld (the one who cleaned the peephole with a Q-Tip). It'll go back looking better than new.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Just get it out of there before the tide comes in! I can picture fintail chasing after the E-Class as its being swept out to sea!
    It's really probably just a parking lot or pullout with a lot of windblown sand on it.

I drove a rental Sentra "off-road" in Kauai, a few miles up some normal, but mostly dirt, road to the mountains. A couple of guys were working near the overlook where we stopped and one of them called over and said something like, "hey, that's George's car". I assume they were friends with the rental agency owner, but no one gave me any flack (and I didn't wash the car before turning it in either).

Then there was the time in N. Baja where I almost got a rental Neon stuck to the axles in loose sand when I missed the turn to the dry lake bed....

And people think buying a used rental is a good idea. :-)
    I have done this once in the past, a '79 Datsun 210 hatch and it was a good vehicle for the most part...had about 13k when I got in sometime in the beginning of 1981 and I kept it till mid '88 with the usual drama. For what I needed at the time, it was just perfect. I know, I treat each rental I drive at work like it was my personal vehicle but can't believe what some folks do to these things...chicken bones and spilled drinks plus other assorted trash and I really begin to wonder about folks. I would probably only get a more premium vehicle as I hope that these folks would treat them a bit better, maybe! But I know we regularly transport vehicles that are going to auction and see a mess load of new vehicles being delivered all the time. These companies have a massive amount of $ tied up in their fleets and a vehicle that sits is just missed revenue...suspect that's why I've seen some excellent rental deals of late.

Am seriously considering renting a C Class from Sixt once I get closer to purchasing to see how they drive, but by that time, the new smaller CLA will be in their fleet I assume. Renting is a really great way to see if any vehicle will fit in one's lifestyle and sometimes to even see if it'll fit in the garage! We did that once awhile ago and the vehicle was too long for it so we had to drop down a size. Personally, I prefer to rent when we take a road trip just to get something a bit more comfortable with a power seat, something I will definitely get on the next Sandmanmobile...it's no longer optional for me. Just much more comfortable and I notice now at work that I have learned for the most part which vehicles have a power chair and I go right for that vehicle. Same goes for SAT radio but that's more hit and miss as some of the vehicles have had their subscriptions shut down...always a hit or miss but when I have it, I am in heaven and switch between 6, 7 & 8...great stations though sometimes Cousin Brucie needs to talk less and spin more!

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Cousin Brucie's incessant blabbering and all of the other non music nonsense is the reason I did not renew Sirius on my vehicles.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    As opposed to regular radio? Come on! And at least it's geared towards music and not sales. You can actually learn something once in awhile. And there are so many channels, so if you don't like what's going on on one, off to another. I think it's great, especially for those of us who live out in the hinterlands.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Seemed to me it was about the same amount of music per hour either way, just blab instead of ads for a C-note/yr. But I can see how some would like the convenience of the different format channels. Me, I actually just went back to playing my own music and pretty much skip radio either way now.
    Ha, the pic was actually taken at Lake Okeechobee, somewhere I had always wanted to visit, for reasons unknown.

And yeah, the car is probably cleaner now than at any time since it entered the fleet. It was OK inside when I picked it up - I do believe people who pay the extra for a premium rental are more responsible with in-car hygiene, but it needed a little work to be up to my standards. 10 minutes or so was all it took - clean the glass and wipe down the seats/dash/clean steering wheel. I went to a self-serve wash today, not to clean it so much as remove the bugs, it got pretty yucky yesterday.

It's pretty unadventurous as my everyday car looks so similar - but the E uses so much less fuel than the X5, and I think it drives better. The E rolled over 14K miles yesterday, I suspect it will be out of the fleet by 20K, probably just a few months away.

Rental lot at my hotel had a 2014 Camaro convertible, the new rear end style. Lots of rentals on the roads around Orlando of course - tons of Chrysler vans, Campalimas, Elantrollas, etc.
    You actually found some Lake Okechobee shoreline without weeds growing out of it!
    Also saw a bunch of the new Camaro verts with the new tail lights but they have not been put into service yet...not sure how this works but I got a feeling they decide which vehicles are going to the auctions for sale, we take 'em up there and remove the plates and then return the plates which go on the new vehicles sitting at the overflow lot. Seems to work out pretty well but not sure how it is decided what makes and models go at certain mileage points...I've seen some Toyota and Nissan products with high mileage in the upper 30's while other vehicles get booted at much lower mileage. All in all, they have this system down pat and it's all about paperwork and checking of numbers at every step of the way. The whole procedure from renting to turning in to cleaning up to getting back in the "ready line" is truly a well synchronized dance and we all play an important part in the process.

This is a great job and I am very thankful for the opportunity to be a small cog in this giant wheel!

The Sandman

I found one of the few areas where you can actually go to the water. From what I saw anyway, most of it is surrounded by a levee. Oh well, one weird place to add to my list.
    I visited Sixt later yesterday again, as it was time to turn in my rental. They had a bunch of new Minis, including some of the wagons, and I saw the Touaregs that were being delivered a few days ago. They also had a bunch of new Suburbans, and the normal cars. Most surprising to me was a C in the return lane that had nav! Rare for a rental C.

For mileage, I think a lot of normal vehicles are retired after 30K, but higher lines retired around 20K, probably due to depreciation curves.

I also saw returned rentals being cleaned - the Sixt workers were even cleaning the tires, kind of surprising.
    That return lot in Orlando is kind of big and we've been there numerous times bringing up new and regular rentals. I must say I was very impressed with that Genesis I drove last week but still would have to say the C Class I drove awhile back was my all time favorite up to now. Wonder if they will get the new CLA when they start to surface and bet they will...prefer the styling of the C hands down. On the way home from dinner earlier, discussed leasing and she's dead set against it so didn't bother bringing up anything about it. All I did say was next time I plan to think out side the box and just left it at that...no sense saying which models I like/don't like cause in the next few years, a lot can change. Styles will definitely change and who knows about life situations...things change sometimes so just best to not say a word. When the time comes and I start test driving, then things will be discussed.

We did discuss about the possibility of just swapping her '05 out for a '15 model and stick with the "S" version...I love the look of the new 3, a mini 6 if you will, and I'd be in heaven and to be honest, she would be to. We know Mazda makes a great reliable vehicle and she loves the way it drives. As we were talking, the a/c conked out on 3 but within a few minutes came back on. Then when she turned the headlights on, nothing from the right one but after a few hard knocks on it, it did come on. Then we discussed her Mazda. Told her we should fix the a/c and headlight and wait for the '15 model and be done with it. Mutually decided to never put on another set of sneakers on her since they will be 2 next month and are wearing extremely well. So as of now, the plan is to keep what she has and fix what needs to be fixed eventually and hold out for the '15 model which suits me just fine...I like the Mazda 3!

The Sandman

edited September 2013
    The Orlando lot did have a huge variety of cars - MB C SLK E ML GLK, BMW X3 and X5, Mini, Volvo S60 XC60 XC90, Genesis, Avalon, and lots of more typical rentals.

The C class will be positioned as a more upmarket car once the CLA is in full arrival. I suspect the CLA will make it to fleets, as it will probably be cheap to build. It'll also be at least an initial smash hit, as the styling is something, it looks better in person, really a 2/3 scale CLS.

You should be able to have some input in what car you guys have...sometimes all that makes me glad I'm single. If I can afford it and I want it, I can look into it. That being said, the Mazda 3 is a safe bet for a good car in that segment.
    I heard $29.9 for the CLA and it's been one of the most heavily researched cars on Edmunds for the past few weeks.

The "corresponding" SUV may be next - the GLA.
    I for one can't wait to see the CLA in person and then drive one as I am totally smitten with the C! And I do have input on my vehicle as we purchase our own...when I got the Civic I was given the funds from my deceased grandmother and decided to cash out the $16k I needed for it's purchase as we do not like to finance a depreciating object. But for a smallish 2 year lease, I could see doing it if there was no put of pocket costs as let's be honest, when one walks away, they walk away with nothing, just the empty key ring and those couple years of fun memories. But I see it as a one time thing to get to drive something one would never purchase. And this is where the two of us differ as I am seriously considering it come 2016 or 2017.

Next time I've decided on "fun" and luckily, my job has put me behind the wheel of a lot of vehicles I'd never would have had the chance to try any other way...and the extended seat time one really needs to make the correct decision. Yet living in South Florida, the idea of a convertible is something I can't shake. We had a '70 Caddy vert when I was in high school and I used it quite a bit and I found that there was nothing quite like it. And I'd bet the convertible tops are better than ever now that is much quieter and finished on the insides. I do know that when I had that Sebring rental a few years back, I'd come into our garage and just keep the top down since the next days weather was for sunny skies. It was tons of fun and I'd love to do it again now in semi-retirement.

The Sandman

edited September 2013
    Of course, that 30K car will be a unicorn and probably special order - average ones will be 35 and any toys will move it up to 40. But...it will have a little style, probably some good leases too - it'll sell. My local dealer had a prepro model weeks ago, I am certain it will be a success.

GLA...another little soft roader, yay!
    Just be sure you can't invest that purchase price at a higher rate than the interest. Sometimes free money can be found out there. I like that you are thinking of "fun", but maybe I am seeing it through the eyes of a single person who cringes at the thought of passing on money to someone who will blow it on a boat or a designer dog.

Your job has to scratch some itch. I wonder how that would work for me. Then again, my new car has kind of done the same, my first new car - but now I am used to it and it doesn't seem as new. Enjoy it while you can, I still think these are the good old days in terms of motoring.
    Obviously, all the ducks must be in a row for leasing to be the optimal choice here. And I do agree that I want to use "our" funds for us but do want to pass some of it forward to our kids as they are a pretty awesome bunch but I also want that "fun" vehicle once before I pass.

Just got a phone call that my boss needs 2 drivers today for multiple local jobs so I said sure...not doing anything else! I think we are finally both on the same page here about my hours and don't plan on bringing it up again...let's see how things play out. Hopefully things will pick up and I can get at least 4 days/week...I definitely do not want to work 7 days a week but I don't mind doing that in spurts if the work is there as we never want to tell our clients we don't have enough bodies. I am happy to go in whenever!

The Sandman

edited September 2013
    Our folks aren't leaving us anything. Both sides "paid it forward" ~30 years ago when we needed it. Die broke. :-)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    I found this article last week.

Interesting that it's being used more on high-line rentals; I wonder if this is to recoup some of the losses on the rental rate since many premium cars are upgrades?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited September 2013
    More like because some cars can be driven for 30-50 miles on "full" when the needle never moves - so the previous renter kind of scams their way out of a little gas. As the article mentions, many cars have fuel metering as part of the trip computer. If someone is going to fill up 30 miles from the agency and drop it off, that's not cool.

I'd like to see some way for agencies with cars that suggest premium and require at least mid-grade to be able to check what was put in the car. I bet the highline rentals I just had used regular for much of their lives - but I fed them premium anyway.
    The best retirement plan is the one where the check to the undertaker bounces :)
    It's all about priorities. Leasing is fun or peace of mind for warranty, not long term financial prudence.

Good luck with the job. I went by the local Budget/Avis today - they had Fiesta, 2x Impala, Camry, SantaFe, 2x Grand Cherokee, moving vans, and some cars I forget.

Now I am under 2 months from a one way premium class National rental from LAX-LAS. As it is a cross border rental, I have a hope that there will be something cool in LA that they want to "repatriate" to NV, and they will have me do it.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've always felt that the fuel level issues could be resolved by simply renting each car with a FULL tank. But even so, some less than honest renters could refuel the car just until the gauge indicated FULL, instead of waiting for the pump to cut off when it was truly FULL. That was mentioned in the article.

Many (most) rental agents barely glance at the gas gauge, then round UP! I can't count the times I'd have 1/2 tank indicated on the rental contract, then two miles down the road realize that the gauge is barely showing 1/4 tank. My solution? I just snap a quick photo with my phone that shows the gas gauge AND the odometer. I typically err on the side of caution and return the car with at least a gallon more fuel than it had when I left with it.

As for why they're being seen first on premium rentals, I can only speculate. It could be that most such vehicles have larger fuel tanks, which could mean a greater 'buffer' between the needle indicating FULL and the tank actually being filled to capacity? OR maybe since premium/luxury renters are already spending more to rent the vehicle, a small 'surcharge' might go unnoticed. Even if it was noticed, would it be worth the time and effort to argue or over a few bucks for them?

But I agree with the customer who was the initial subject of the article. Her rental agreement showed the fuel level as G8 (which means FULL in Avis lingo, apparently). She returned the vehicle with an INDICATED FULL tank. Only when she received her credit card statement and saw an additional $7.43 charge did she know anything about it! The charge was for 0.8 gallons of gas because she picked the car up with 16.9 gallons and returned it with 16.1...according to a 'satellite'!?!?

AVIS quickly removed the charge from her bill when she contacted them about it. But she was unhappy with a metric being used to measure fuel usage and return level that the customer has no way of knowing! She also made the comment that if she had returned it with extra fuel, she knew AVIS wouldn't issue her a refund for that extra fuel. AVIS replied they "they would have credited any additional fuel".....AS IF!!! Just from a business standpoint, monitoring that and issuing micro-credits would take a significant amount of time and labor.

I'm actually surprised that all rental vehicles aren't FULLY monitored so their location, speed, mileage and everything else are always known. I'm sure that the costs associated with implementing such technology is the only reason it hasn't happened yet.

But I also know that many rental locations located away from airports have struggled to remain profitable over the last five or so years. The ones located way on the edge of the suburbs that rely heavily in insurance rentals rely on sales of insurance and other extras to turn a profit at all.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Got called in with another person to do some local work today. Had some ups and downs and ended up with the other guy getting more of the work and the boss didn't care to make things fair. Oh well, I've decided that in the future I will not be so accomodating to others because it is not a two way street, better I stand up for myself and get what I deserve!

Drove a few Fiats to auction today and drove back a nice '13 Malibu from auction and was very impressed with how smooth it drove and shifted...this new Malibu is a nice looking rig and don't understand why Chevy doesn't sell more as it seems to be a bit nicer than the Camry for a better price. Even in white, this car still looks very nice and the rear treatment looks so much better since the refresh...good job Chevy on the Malibu...very good job!!

Even with the drama, today was a good day and hopefully there will be more work for me on Wednesday as others need to be used first on any work that comes in tomorrow. The day off will be good for my spine!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    The Malibu seems a very polarizing design. Some think it looks great, others think it looks terrible. I am in the latter category. I don't care for the front end - too blocky looking - nor the rear with the Camaro-esque taillights, and I find the instrument panel/dash just unattractive. But the real issue seemed to be the tight rear seat accommodations, which are a bit snug compared to others.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I see what you are saying but I still like it. Still haven't gotten a Verano yet and have only seen two when we've had to move vehicles but my co-workers would not change with me even when I asked them since it's on my short list. From what I've read, most of the car rags always place the Malibu at the bottom of their comparison tests saying it is a decent vehicle but it's just not the best overall vehicle.

The Sandman

I think the Malibu isn't bad, but is really dull looking. The previous model looked more premium, IMO.

Speaking of rentals, I recall seeing a few Mazda 5 rentals on the road in FL. Those are quite rare in fleets here.

Budget/Avis - Fiesta, Dart, 2x Impala, Fusion, Escape, Journey, Sorento, some other boredom.
    I've rented a couple of Malibu's, although not the latest one. They were quite comfortable and decent drivers with very nice seats. In fact, I thought the seats were better than Camry, Altima and Accord. Basically, I think it's a good product for it's price category. I haven't driven a new Fusion yet. I'll be curious, because Ford used to always have decent seats, but not always anymore over the past couple of years. Cost cutting I suppose, but the new Explorer does have some of the best seats in a popular priced vehicle I've been in, if they'd only fix that awful cramped driver's foot well.
    From the Ford vehicles I have driven at work, they have come a long way and I look forward to drive some of them when I see them in our line of vehicles as usually, we get to choose what vehicle we prefer to drive. The difference between the old and new Escape and Fusion is outstanding but as for our personal vehicles, we're still import buyers and don't really see that changing with the next go round. Depending on the vehicle and the deal, that could change...there's one thing I've learned in life and that's to "never say never" about anything. On any given day, anything is possible!

The Sandman

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Drove a few Fiats to auction today and drove back a nice '13 Malibu from auction and was very impressed with how smooth it drove and shifted...this new Malibu is a nice looking rig and don't understand why Chevy doesn't sell more as it seems to be a bit nicer than the Camry for a better price. Even in white, this car still looks very nice and the rear treatment looks so much better since the refresh...good job Chevy on the Malibu...very good job!!

What model of Fiat did you drive the other day and what did you think of them?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited September 2013
    Have driven 2 different models, not sure which they were, but they drive o k except in the rain where they hydroplane terribly! Not a vehicle I'd buy if I lived in a rainy climate and seats aren't super comfortable either...kinda hard as rocks to tell ya the truth. And the interior pieces are really cheap and 90% of the rentals I've driven had some kind of interior issue being it a broken seat lever or some other part broke off. The radio is o k and it is a modern looking retro dash, about the only 2 good things I can say about it. This is a vehicle I would stay away from as there are many other better choices for similar $ out there...it's a cute car but it's like they put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig, only a prettier one!

The Sandman

Read today that someone got an A4 from National.

Local Avis/Budget lot had a few Mopar Vans, Journey, Escape, Impala, Prius, a few other smalls.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    AAARGHHHH!!! I know what you mean! Tell that man to just shut up and play some music! He sounds like some rambling senile old man talking about the fares on the subway.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Have driven 2 different models, not sure which they were, but they drive o k except in the rain where they hydroplane terribly! Not a vehicle I'd buy if I lived in a rainy climate and seats aren't super comfortable either...kinda hard as rocks to tell ya the truth. And the interior pieces are really cheap and 90% of the rentals I've driven had some kind of interior issue being it a broken seat lever or some other part broke off. The radio is o k and it is a modern looking retro dash, about the only 2 good things I can say about it. This is a vehicle I would stay away from as there are many other better choices for similar $ out there...it's a cute car but it's like they put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig, only a prettier one!

From your description I bet you were driving the tiny Fiat 500. I don't think they're exporting the 4-door Fiat 500L to the U.S. just yet.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The L is the one I call a "centipede" due to its somewhat odd (to me) stretched look. I think it is being sold here now, I've seen commercials for it.

In rental sightings, I saw a rental E-class today, likely Hertz as I don't think Sixt has them here yet.
    edited September 2013
    Worked for Sixt today and drove 2 BMW X1's, a Volvo S60 and finally, the best and nicest vehicle I have ever driven I think...the MB GLK 350...absolutely awesome! So comfortable and smooth it was amazing folks. Not that the X1 wasn't bad, the leather or faux leather felt great and when needed, there was ample power to pass anything and I liked the compact size of it. I didn't get an X3 this time but would've been nice to do a back to back to back but am sure that'll happen soon enough. One of the other crew chiefs called me right before 11 for a noon start so I said sure. Turns out my crew chief had me scheduled but neglected to call me so the other guy took me and my chief had to find a replacement for me. More work came in because right before 8 this evening, my chief calls me and says that I am in his group tomorrow, period and if anyone else calls me to tell them such as apparently it's gonna be a longish day with multiple trips to Miami topped off by a Miami to Orlando run though not sure if it's for Sixt or Hertz, it's just that Sixt has the nicer fleet hands down! They tend to have more high class stuff and since we give them our licenses, the clerk randomly picks the rigs we get instead of us choosing our own which kind of levels the playing field. I've kind of learned to know which keys go with which vehicles so I can make a more educated choice but that also doesn't work out well sometimes but it's a bit fairer when someone else chooses so no bias comes into play.

Luckily we're getting an early start so hopefully we'll be back in Lauderdale before 7:30 or so as I prefer to drive during the daylight hours but will do night time if we have to but can see the fuzz better in the day time and on weekends, they tend to be out in force going up the Florida turnpike.

The Sandman

Nice catch. Did it have nav? I saw a white GLK on the lot in MCO, but only from the front, and I assumed it was a 250. Cool that they have the larger engine in the fleet. Sixt does have a nice lineup, and as long as I can find decent prices from them, I will continue to patronize them if I am in one of their cities.
    Yep, it had the nav but I don't use those things unless they come on easily like the new Tahoes do. Gotta feeling we're doing Tahoes today on the local runs but not totally sure. I will take some shots as i usually do on the more interesting rigs. Did sit in a Mini yesterday, as we had to transport one, and they guy who had the keys refused to let me try it even after I told him it's on my short list...unfortunately, I work with a few s-holes who actually have pushed me and others out of the way to get something they want, no [non-permissible content removed]! I was absolutely stunned when it happened but have seen his similar behavior so I try to not work when he's around.

Back with my team today so should be a fun day after they rib me about jumping ship and being a work whore...all in good fun as they all know how much I love this job and I want to work to get my remaining s s quarters. Here's hoping we all get some fun vehicles to drive today!

The Sandman

edited September 2013
    With lower (below E/ML) range MBs one needs to be careful re: nav - the cars still have a screen, but you won't know if it has nav unless you try to activate it. I think the SLK I looked at didn't have nav either. Most fleet spec C250 and GLK250 I have seen lack it - when I initially arrived at MCO, an agent pointed out a C she claimed had it, but didn't. However, I did see a C250 at Sixt that had it, as it was on. With a MB, the ICE can be fully deactivated and remain blank when the car is started, enabled by pressing the manual "on" button and then selecting nav if it wasn't on when the car was turned off. That's a good way to see if a car has it, too.

For your work, I think vehicle assignments should be random, pull keys out of a bag or pick numbers or something. Too much room for drama otherwise.
    edited September 2013
    Until the electronics in the fobs get confused being all jumbled in together. Then you'll have some drama. :D
    I bet that issue has been thought of - I suspect dealers, shops,and transporters just keep a pile of keys. Heck, at Sixt they keep all the keys in a drawer, piled on each other in plastic baggies.

Speaking of Sixt, they do have E-class in Seattle now, and for a random period I checked, $59/day. Not as cheap as I have paid in the past, but way less than a Hertz Prestige rental. Those who rent $10/day specials and end up with a miled up Rio lacking cruise and power windows would see it as too much...but in a market as expensive as Seattle, that's not bad.

A friend of mine is in Milwaukee right now, and rented with Advantage (something like a $12/day cheapie) - got a Sentra that he had to stop and clean, it was too much even for him, and he's not a neat freak like me. The windows were so bad he suspects someone was smoking in it.