Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,506
    Then talk them to rent from someone who allows you to choose, at least. I think my employer gets "standard" or "full size", I see lots of Malibus and Fusions in the lot, smaller SUVs too. And if you rent a lot, you might get to choose from a better lot, National works that way.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,154
    there are a few outfits that are allowed. Avis, Hertz, and maybe budget/national.

But I wanted something close to my house. I had no desire to schlep into Philly to go to the airport to get a car, considering I had to eventually drop it off and get back home!

the Hertz desk was at my local AAA office, which I could walk to if I really felt like it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,650
    My company uses National... I almost never need to rent a car for work, but for personal use, I use the corporate National account... There is almost always something decent in the Emerald Aisle (which is the base for the account)... and, at least I get a choice without asking..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Anyone have any experience - good or bad - with Hertz customer service? Need to choose rental company to stick with for a while...
    edited November 2012
    Got a letter in the mail from Sixt today, sent direct from Germany. I forgot they use this method as a way to give a receipt - seems expensive, but maybe not really. Listed no extra charges, so apparently I didn't damage the car.

Interesting thing about this letter is a pile of random info at the bottomr - everything from license plate number to mileage to emissions. One number is "BLP" which is "bruttolistenpreis in EUR", which is MSRP. For the A8, it was 100,700 Euros, roughly $130K. Not bad, as it cost about the same price as a "luxury" rental from an American carrier, and less than any of the "prestige" choices.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,981
    I got one of those a couple of months after renting a car in Puerto Rico a while back. Took them a long time to figure out how much I owned them for the toll roads I guess.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• berriberri Posts: 4,141
    Hertz tends to cost a bit more, but you generally don't get anything all beat up. Register for Gold status and you can go right to your car, plus that usually means you get the better vehicles. Avis cars don't seem as nice any more. Enterprise seems to vary a lot. At least that's my recent experiences.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 323
    We reserve Intermediate, but I'm part of the Emerald club and rent enough to be in the Executive selection, although I can't tell a huge difference between the two and as often as not I just pick what I want from the Emerald aisle.

Denver was pretty disappointing this week, they had a ton of Chrysler 200's, no thanks. I started to grab a base model Prius, but then switched to a 2013 Escape. Not a bad ride, but for the week I only averaged 19.9 mpg, I expected a little more from the Ecoboost in a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving and not driving aggressively. I want to like the new Fords but I've noticed most of the ones I rent have a rattle here or there, one Escape had a piece of weatherstripping loose on a rear window and the glove box in a Fusion was pretty flimsy.

I'm off to Pittsburgh next week, haven't been there in years so will see what their National fleet looks like.

I do agree with you on traveling personally, I pay more for a better car, it's definitely worth it.
    I just rode in an Avis CX-7 driven by an out of town friend who is visiting. Pretty basic spec, seemed to have to work pretty hard to get moving. Or maybe I am just used to high torque vehicles with effortless acceleration.

Hotel parking lot was rental car fantasyland - Fusions, Sonatas, Camrys, Malibus, Altimas, 300C and Genesis, and many smaller things, small SUVs, the whole world of normal rentals.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,154
    probably the newer non-turbo model. That is not going to be fast.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

It really had to work (or sounded like it was working) to get moving - if I want to deal with that, I'll ride a motorcycle :shades:
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 323
    I've had the CX-7 for rentals a couple of times, I wouldn't choose it again. Like you said it really struggled to get going, and overall was just blah.

I was in Pittsburgh this week, pretty slim selection. I ended up with a base Grand Cherokee, which was fine. When we turned it in there was a Dodge Dart in front of us in a powder blue color, while I like that you can get something besides white, black, beige or silver this blue was a little offensive.

Back to Denver next week, we'll see if they're still overrun with 200's.
    Could be worse - I saw a rental Galant yesterday. Didn't know those were still around. It's like a new old car.

The color thing reminds me of a German annoyance - it seems 95% of rental cars are black. Every German rental car I have had has been black.
  • the '12 Nissan Altima I'm renting right now in Alamogordo, NM, is indeed....black! Don't cha know that black, though not a color, is America's favorite car color right now?

No.2 is silver and red comes in 3rd. Correct me on that if anyone knows but that is what I read several months ago if memory serves me.

Wow, huh? :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

edited December 2012
    Most recent tally was white, silver, then black, gray, then red....

America's top 10 car colors

I'm surprised they had anything to rent in black down there. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Too bad you didn't get a 2013, they are in the fleets now, and apparently are a big step up from the old style.

Hmm...rental car colors. I've had a few white rentals in the US, then silver/grey. Can't think of a black one.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    I think white is generally number one because of fleet sales. Not just rentals, but sales to companies that may apply logo's on them afterwards.
    Maybe so, didn't consider that factor.

I like white cars but my wife isn't so hot on them.

White works on some cars, not so bad to maintain either.
  • Altima, though the car doesn't look bad in black, neither. I liked it but the steering was kind of numb compared to my Lancer GTS. And the turning radius was too large. Other than that I drove some 265 miles in those two days and paid only $25 in ghastly ta fill it back up. 8 odd gallons in to 265 miles gives you, what, 33 smiles to the gallon? Not bad, eh? :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS