Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,902
    It seems to take a few months for the branches to get highline cars, the one at SEA just opened a few weeks ago. You're a cheapskate anyway, I don't see you renting an SLK :P

SEA has a new rental car facility - technically everything is offsite now, with a shuttle from the main terminal.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, we figured finding something even at the last minute would work out since they've lumped all the rental shops together. The other off-site place was practically in Tacoma, lol. One year we just went downtown to rent and that worked well, since we could park in the rental lot for free, which was just a couple of blocks from the motel. My wife was on a paid junket that trip.

We're funny about deciding what we'll spend money on. I'm sure we'll spend way more on dinner that night that we'll pay for the motel room. But a luxo ride would be kind of fun for one day.
    It all depends on where you'd be staying. If you are downtown a lot, it might be better to not get the car until you are done in the city. Driving and parking in downtown Seattle is about the 12th level of hell.

If on a long/leisure trip, I priceline/hotwire hotels, and rent a nicer car in exchange. For shorter, I just go cheap (on a 4 day trip in 2011, I got an Impala with 4 miles on it from Thrifty for $17/day).
    Oh, we have an early flight out the next day so we're crashing at one of the airport hotels. We essentially have a long layover in Seattle (~20 hours) which worked out great since we only get one stopover on our free miles ticket and we're not flying back through there.

So we'll see the brother-in-law and hit Rays or somewhere and be on our way at 8 am. Assuming the in-laws here don't get sick lol (we buy a lot of travel insurance these days).
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Now that's one beautiful ride! I never thought about that but it's the perfect idea really. Rent one for a few days just to see if it's something I could really live with and if not, I at least had some fun. I also like the idea of staying in a less expensive hotel and splurging on the rental because honestly, how long is one really in the room? More time is spent outside exploring the destination and getting to that destination.
    Thanks for the idea...I never even thought about it!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

We often camp in the woods for free or find a primitive forest service site for $10. Then we go to town and blow $100 for dinner. :-)
    I think that one cost me $43/day out of FLL, from Sixt - that included all taxes and fees. Bargain. I think it can be more or less repeated now, at the right time, too. As you are in the area, you can shop around for the cheapest dates, and try that C-class. They should have active satellite radio, too - but I am pretty sure the Sixt C fleet lacks nav.

For me, a car is a big part of the trip - only car people will relate to that. If I wanted a fancy resort experience, I probably wouldn't be renting a car at all.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    I will be renting a car for the first time in a few years next month. Flying to California to visit family.

Economy class (Kia Rio or similar) from Burbank airport - $170 with taxes and fees for 5 days.

I know, it's not a C-class or a Volvo or some other premium make, but I just need A to B transportation.
    edited February 2013
    "Luxury-car rentals are rapidly growing, and for some, you don't have to spend all that much more than you would for a full-size sedan. The nation's largest car-rental firm, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, which usually focuses its business on the lower end of the market, has expanded its "Exotic Car Collection" to 13 locations in six states, recently adding Houston and Naples, Fla. Hertz Corp., the second-largest, says rentals from its luxury-vehicle collection grew 15% between 2011 and 2012.

And last month, a startup company called Silvercar began renting nothing but silver Audi A4s with customized technology at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Current prices start at only $55 a day."

And this one deal must be hidden, sold out or over:

"Sixt Rent a Car, a European agency now rolling out operations in the U.S., is currently listing a deal in its new Seattle-Tacoma International Airport location on a Mercedes C-Class sedan for $50 a day."

The Rise of the Rent-a-Porsche (WSJ)
    Fun thing, renting highline cars has been normal in Europe for eons.

I'd also like details on the SEA Sixt having highlines - not on the site. I sent a message to a corporate spokesperson who said he would look into it, hasn't replied. But the company has had highlines elsewhere in the US for some time, at rates much less than the pricey Hertz Prestige Collection. I rented an A6 from Hertz in Vegas back in 07 - cost around $80/day, which I thought was a good deal.

$130/day for a Malibu? I've got a bridge to sell that person.
  • Picked lowest level car, but got free upgrade to the Emerald Aisle. Chose a new KIA Optima. Not a bad car. About 31 mpg on way down here to Louisville, today. (75-80 mph).

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Nice price for a standard/fullsize car. How many miles were on it?
  • 9XXX miles..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The MB dealer where I just bought a car uses an Enterprise fleet for loaners. All C-class and GLK. I saw about 10 of them hanging around the shop area today.
    Nice, and great price.

I am thinking next time I rent, I might just do it standard to sample a Fusion or Optima etc.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 297
    We're doing a New England trip around Memorial Day, I wish Sixt had a location in Boston as we got cheap flights and hotels are free thanks to points so I'd gladly pay a little more for a nice car. Right now the car is free too but may see what they can upgrade to if National has anything interesting when we get there.
    Free is worth it. I participated in an online survey program and now have like 2500 Hertz points, which I think is about enough for a free week. Eventually I will use it, even though it has been many years since I have used the company.

National and Alamo both allow you to choose cars - I think a couple others do now, too. I think Sixt is at MIA and area, FLL, MCO, ATL, PHX, SEA, for the US. They are trying to expand, but it takes time and money.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 297
    Free is definitely worth it, but since the overall trip is cheap I wouldn't mind splurging if it meant something like your deal in FLL last year. I consistently rent from National and am part of the Executive Elite, which is nice and I definitely like being able to choose the car but it is rare you get a "premium" car even at their top loyalty tier. It's still a nice upgrade but you don't get any of the real fun stuff.

I rented from hertz from years but never really liked them. Even when I had status with them I was still relegated to a base corolla way too often and they considered a Taurus wagon a nice upgrade. So while National may not put premium cars in the emerald lane at least I can choose if I want a Prius, a Legacy, an Avalon or an Escape. I even got a Chevy Silverado a couple of weeks ago. It was absolutely horrible, but at least it was fun getting to pick.
    My sister just got a fly/drive reserved for April back to England. The rental will be through Hertz, which she's not happy about after a lousy experience with them a few years ago. But the price was okay.

She was excited about the car though - said even though she went cheap, they said she'd get a MINI. I popped her balloon when I told her they probably meant a subcompact. :shades:
    I have no status other than Sixt "gold", which is nothing. I don't travel enough. I remember I rented from Alamo in ATL, reserved premium, was offered an iffy looking Town Car or a Grand Marquis with the wipers parked up. I rejected, agent laughed and understood, said I could walk over to National and choose. They had no premiums, and the only luxury was an STS with no keys. I tried to get a loaded Grand Cherokee, but the agent said it would cost more, so I passed. I waited for cars to come in to the Emerald Aisle (this was around 0700 - had no competition) - almost chose a loaded Taurus Limited, but it smelled funny. Ended up with an immaculate Buick Regal, which was a nice drive, and was technically PCAR. No complaints.

I might take a week in California this year, where I will use my Hertz points - I think I can get up to "premium" with them, which is my usual category. Most of the time I have rented, Hertz prices are steep and the fleet is nothing special. The Avalon you mention should be "premium" too - I'd be happy to have one as a rental. Dull, but comfy for long drives.