Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,909
    edited March 2013
    I prefer National/Alamo anyway, but that's still not good. I guess in a market oligarchy, oligopoly makes perfect sense. You get the justice you pay for.

Sixt will probably only exist at major airports, at least in the foreseeable future. They seem to have virtually no advertising/promotion, and I have read their service can be kind of quirky compared to what the usual American renter expects.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    That seems to be the case but do love the high end vehicles they offer as they give the customer a great variety in choice. A great way to try out a vehicle to see if it fits into your daily life. For a small fee, one can really get to use it in real life situations to see if one really wants to make a long term commitment. After a house or condo, a vehicle is probably the 2nd most important and expensive choices people make in their lives and no one wants to make an error with thousands and thousands involved. Rent it for a few days or a week and you will definitely know the good and /or bad points and get the real deal on things like seat comfort and switch gear usage. So many times a vehicle is great for the quick test drive but it's on that 4 hour road trip that serious problems can and do arise and then what? Doing a little homework and spending some quality time with your choice makes all the difference in the world as we all want to love the vehicles we purchase. Can you imagine buying something and finding out next month that you really hate the thing and having it in your garage or parking space is a daily reminder of the bad and expensive decision you made. Oy vey!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Sixt does have a diverse lineup and good rates for highlines. Most rental brands have many brands nowadays, unlike in the past where some seemed to prefer certain brands. But, I have read some complaints about hard selling of expensive tack on items, and slow service. I suspect something has been lost in translation when it comes to company policy. In Germany, you won't be in and out of a Sixt rental office in 45 seconds like you can with many brands in the US, either - but it isn't slow. I have only used Sixt when renting in Europe - their rates are competitive, and they generally have the best cars - they often have highly optioned vehicles in the fleet.

Renting a car before buying is a smart idea. There aren't a lot of vehicles that it isn't possible to rent, today. I had a Sixt E-class for 8 days out of Fort Lauderdale last year, that gave me some idea about what I would be getting into.
    I read Sixt is now open in Tampa - you might get to make a long distance run, sandman.
    Hope to soon...and finally get my E Class or a GLK wagon. I enjoy working for Sixt actually though they do their paperwork differently than the others we service. Did get to drive a Passat yesterday from West Palm to Miami for Hertz and it was just o k...actually prefer the Jetta as it's the perfect size, at least for me. Over lunch earlier, told the wife again I like the 180" size, give or take, and plan on a small ute next go round for me. She's just worried about parking on my side of the garage but that should not be an issue. I will do the garage test while test driving it just to make sure it will fit. Did this in the mid 80's for an Oldsmobile 88 and found that it was just too large for her side so got the Cutlass Supreme which was a perfect fit. But told her no more vehicles that I have to drop down into as I'm getting too old for that and also want a nicer ride next time. Power everything for my final vehicle...and I will get exactly what I want no matter what to!! :)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

With all the drama at your current job, maybe you should see if there's a position open with a company, directly. Might be better working conditions.

I don't want a car that's too big,either. I live in a fairly congested area that can have iffy parking, anything above E-class size can be too much.
    I applied to a couple...haven't heard back yet. Avis turned me down flat, probably because of my age. Am patient but do have a friend working at a different company who I've mentioned that I am looking...he's supposed to inquire for me so we'll see. I just know that I'm pretty unhappy where I'm out now but it was an open door when all the others were closed so I do owe them something. But the Hertz position would be the best by far! I hope and pray!

edited March 2013
    Maybe there's another company who contracts to move the cars?

Speaking of rentals, a friend of mine is going to Orlando later this year, found stupid cheap airfare ($280 RT from SEA on Delta, so I can get miles), and talked me into coming along. I've already booked my car, getting a Sixt E-class for $38.xx/day.
    Now that's an outrageous price! Damn...for an E Class? Bet I could get a C Class for maybe $32/day. I really need to check it out but knowing me, I'd never want to give it back! Then I'd be forced to get a cpo'd unit before my time table kicks in. Seriously, I plan to keep to the plan and wait until 2016 or 2017 before I do swap out my vehicle...just makes no sense to get rid of the Civic before then unless my boy really needs and wants a vehicle. The wife won't trade mine for hers, I've asked her to let me have the Mazda and she just take the Civic as her d d but she said "no". This really is not a bad idea and I'd use the Mazda for a bit and then cut it loose. So since these two scenarios don't seem to be going to happen, I'm gonna just wait it out. But then when that time comes, anything will be possible and I will have more $ to boot as I plan to invest my small windfall when I do get it...lawyers really suck!

Funny thing, the C (one class lower in their grid) was actually $5/day more. I know the E will have standard nav and should have working satellite radio, so those are kind of free bonuses making it a real bargain.

For your car, I still think you need to go for it at least once. It's your money, and you can't take it with you :shades:
    Well, that is the plan especially after the "sign" I got yesterday while driving. In a lull in traffic, three vehicles passed me in a row and then another lull...it was like a message from above! Leading off the trifecta was a RX 330, then a C Class with a 3 Series bringing up the rear. I knew it was a sign, absolutely and am willing to wait it out till the time is right as the Civic is running like a top, really outstanding except it does need an oil change which will happen next week.

Nice, that might be a sign. And a trouble of trading up - you are usually parting with a car that is just fine by itself. Hard to justify, I just went through it 6 weeks ago.

Your Civic might outlast all of us :)
    Absolutely, the Civic is so flawless that I can't find a single thing wrong except the headliner isn't quite right and I need to call them to come back and fix it...the glue didn't take over the whole thing so it's just not flush. But that's it really. Tires are newish, needs an oil change and have decided to hold off on the new head unit for the time being. Best to get the wife situated and then I can sneak in my purchase as I do not want to upset the better half. Funny, we usually go in the Mazda, can't remember the last time she was in the Civic.

But try as I might, there's no justification for trading the Civic...none! I do plan to check out a few used units I've found online just to see if I really could live with an RX as it might be a bit too big for my side of the garage actually. Length wise I think it just would fit but it is a wider vehicle which could pose a problem as the wife doesn't always stay 100% on the left side...luckily I'm pretty thin and can squeeze in between them. Also need to see if the step up is too much for my leg to get into the thing. I do like the dash layout though it is a bit outdated compared to the newer version but I absolutely love the wood on the steering wheel and throughout the dash...a nice upscale touch. Lexus does a nice job with their interiors and it'll probably drive Toyota smooth. The light blue is my favorite color also and I've found a few. And I'd be that using 87 octane would work out just fine as I'm not crazy over getting superior mileage figures. I would be a very happy camper to have one of these puppies on my side of the garage!

I guess what they say is true, happy wife happy life :shades:

One good thing about the Civic is that if you do part with it, it will be easy to sell for a good price, or will make a good gift for someone.

The Lexus will no doubt be smoother than the German cars. The Germans excel at a composed highway ride, but some can be a little coarse on rough suburban roads.
    Was outside reading the paper earlier and had the garage up and noticed how nice the Civic really is after it's been washed and cleaned up...people think it's really a brand new vehicle even though it's almost 7. Even the Mazda looks good after it got it's bath last weekend...we took it to dinner tonight and it drove great and the a/c blowing out cold air on #3 so all is good.

Got onto Auto Trader earlier and found a whole bunch of RX350's near here but the miles are high with prices to match. Even the '07 with 55k on the clock was around the $20k price point...a lot to pay for such an old vehicle as the new generation offers so much more. Also, they had an article in the paper's automobile section about used C Classes from the last generation and it said the '06 & '07 models had the 7 speed auto trannys in them and were the better value. They also liked the styling of that generation a bit more than the current one which I tend to agree with...it looks to be a smaller vehicle which I do like. I'd be thrilled to find a lower mileage '07 in that taupe color they had which was absolutely stunning...like the MB much better than the current 3 Series also though the last generation 3 is a nice looking ride also. But need to get the wife all situated first and then I can "quietly" swing a possible deal for myself. I think the age and possible repair expenses will be the two things that bother her the most...she'd think I was crazy to purchase such an older vehicle for almost the price of a brand new econocar. And then every time it would need a repair, man I'd never hear the end of the "I told you so's". But the heart wants what it wants and mine wants more for the next vehicle, more in the sense of more lux and less econo feel. I want a power seat with leather or high line cloth and have no problem with a small 6 as long as it is a real lux vehicle. And figuring $20k cash plus my Civic out the door to get the job done should work.

Got a text about a couple of runs in the morning so all is good. After these two days off, I'm ready to go and rock and roll a bit. Hopefully we'll have enough for an 8 hour day but we'll see what pans out...could be more than the scheduled two. I'm up for anything here!

edited March 2013
    Cars age better than they used to, that's for sure. Where say in 1983, a 1976 car could look like a lost cause, in 2013, a 2006 car can look new.

I'd spend a little more and get the 2010+ RX, smoother design. For the C, I would look for a 2012+ car, the post facelift cars have a nicer interior design IMO, and have the LEDs that some like. For these entry lux cars, leasing can sometimes be easier than buying, too - no worries about repairs. I know your wife would cringe, but it is sometimes nice to have no strings attached when it comes to a more expensive car. There will be some sweetheart leases on these cars as the model ages off.

Good luck getting a nice new rental to drive.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 297
    I still don't think the HyunKia group holds up over time. When I get a rental with 20k on it there is a distinct difference between the Hyundai/Kias and the rest of the pack. You get what you pay for, and while they've made great strides they are still cheap for a reason.
    And I haven't found that to be the case with the few high mileage ones I have driven. But the jury is still out here so time will tell. I do know that our '08 Accent is as perfect at 20k as it was at 100 miles, the things is just wonderful. I will definitely keep my eyes open to see more high mileage rental units and how they age.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    Try a Dodge Avenger or Chrysler Sebring/200 after 20k miles in a rental fleet...anything else will feel as solid as a bank vault in comparison! Except maybe a Fiat 500...