Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,156

My wacky Prius friend got hit and ran a few weeks ago, his car is in the shop now, and he has a rental. From Hertz, he first got a Maxima - he liked the speed but hated the mpg, and it was filthy, so he took it out to the airport for exchange. They first offered another Prius, he laughed. Then he was offered a C-Max, which he took, and seems to like. He mentioned the Seatac Hertz has Jaguars.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,548
    edited July 11

Bet the keys/fobs are bad too. If you want to really enjoy your vacation, remember that the remote in your fancy hotel is likely nasty and often the "sealed" glasses were just rinsed and bagged.

That's why I like going camping in my own car - you get exposed to a better class of dirt. ;)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,736

Drove a C-Max across the state awhile back and thought it was decent enough and even toyed with the idea about getting one as my d d. Liked the mileage and seating position but we're just not Ford people even though I was very close to pulling the trigger on a slightly used Escape when I bought last year. They had finally agreed to my terms but the wife was so unhappy about it that I had to pass...it just fit on my side of the garage and she was convinced that would be a big issue down the road. I listened and now, glad I did as my Tuscon fits with room to spare...and since I am the only driver of it 99.999% of the time, I needed to be happy with the purchase.

The Sandman :) B)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited July 17

"Rental car workers at Denver International Airport say pot tourists are regularly leaving them with marijuana that travelers don’t want to try to carry through DIA.

The rental car agencies have become something of a dumping ground for marijuana as Colorado’s pot tourists apparently know that they could be cited if they attempt to bring marijuana into the airport itself.

She said employees typically either throw out the product or turn it over to supervisors, “We try not to let it get to the car wash bay because those guys will take it.”

DIA Rental Car Agencies Now Dumping Grounds For Pot (CBS)

You'd be surprised what people leave in their rental vehicles...the majority of stuff is sunglasses, umbrella's or transponders for toll roads. We have a lost and found drawer for stuff and we try to call customers who leave things so they can come over to pick them up. We do our best to get the articles back to the customers whenever possible!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Getting a new schedule at work due to a few co-workers not showing up when they are supposed to. Asked my boss what days he wants me there and he said Mondays and Tuesdays are the busiest so I said I'm in. Will do rotating Saturdays and hoping to have Thursdays and Fridays off so will use Wednesday as the make up hours day in case I'm under the required 24. Am hoping to do more like 26 to 28 each week so we'll see...last few weeks have been over 30, so the checks have been very nice. At this point have given up the other gig unless they call and need an extra driver...I just prefer a regular schedule to be honest and started to hate the not knowing if they were going to call me or me being put on the "on call" status...I want to know exactly when I'm working so I can make as much as I can so we don't have to go into any retirement accounts for another 5 or so years. Figure I turn 60 this year and will work till 65 at this part time gig if they'll have me as it is the perfect job for me!

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,233

A couple of car rental notes...

First, my sister, brother-in-law and their 3 boys (16, 13 and 10) are in Orlando this week taking in the attractions. They were given a Ford Edge as their rental, which is smaller than what they drive at home, which is a Lincoln Navigator. My sister seems to like it well enough.

And, starting on 8/5, I'll be using Hertz Local Edition to supply me with transportation while my car is in the shop getting some body work done. I talked with the agent today and asked what I might expect. She said that at the rate the insurance company reimburses them, I can expect something like a Fiat 500. But, those are pretty rare in the small town I live in, so I might get upgraded to a Versa, Cruze or something similar.

We shall see.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 196

She said that at the rate the insurance company reimburses them, I can expect something like a Fiat 500.

While I love my insurance company, they only pay $30 a day towards a rental car. I always wind up out of pocket about $20 or $25 per day to get into something that my fat ___ will actually fit. B)

• suydamsuydam Posts: 1,011

My daughter got a Buick Encore as a rental recently, driving from Philly to Ohio. She loved its comfort, size, and ease of parking and overall handling. It could use some more oomph when trying to merge onto freeways and going over the mountains, but did get pretty good mpg. I drove it around town some. It's very quiet for a small ute and very comfortable. First Buick I've been in for years. If I were looking at compact crossovers I would certainly put it on my drive list. Has anyone here tried it out and compared it to others such as the Forester, RAV 4, etc?

Yes I did and I just didn't like the small 4 cylinder with the turbo to be honest...it just felt lacking when I tried to do some merging into traffic, that "oomph" was lacking so I decided to look at crossovers with a bit more power. Sure, there's a penalty in the mileage but I felt it was a good trade-off here. I also walked away from a Ford escape with the 1.6 engine with turbo with just 1818 miles on it for the same reason. The final decision came down to the Tuscon and the Outlander Sport since they were closest to the house and I never got over to the Kia or Nissan dealer though I had driven their products at work so was familiar with how they drove. If you ask me if I'd make the same choice again and honestly, not quite sure.

Compared to my Pontiac Vibe anything has oomph. She commented that it was really good driving the Turnpike. I really liked the quietness of the Encore and the interior. And it gets better mpg than the Vibe does.

Been ripped off by your rental car company? Gotta start watching your hotels too. Sheesh - this one may be ripe for a class action.

Just picture this: Travel companies are eager to charge customers for damages (Washington Post)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,458

@stever said: Been ripped off by your rental car company? Gotta start watching your hotels too. Sheesh - this one may be ripe for a class action.

Just picture this: Travel companies are eager to charge customers for damages (Washington Post)

Really interesting news article you linked to. Thanks.

Fortunately that has not been my experience.

At Hertz, we have those damage forms and a lot of folks use them and go with the agent to document the pre-existing damage on the vehicle. Good idea just to save any hassle. I know I was accused of causing damage on a car I drove to a location but I took pics and denied that I caused that damage. The pics I had showed the rust already there, plus I took the agent out to show him the rust. If I caused the damage just now, I explained, why is there rust there? In the end, nothing happened because I didn't cause the damage and the rust already there proved it. All I can say is do your due diligence when renting and you should be fine!

edited August 24

I've sometimes photographed a car, if I spotted damage before the rental.

A few years ago, my rental Impala (picked up with 4 miles on it) got hit and ran in the hotel parking lot in suburban Atlanta. I called Amex, who I use for rental insurance. I estimated about $500 in damage - Thrifty must think of Impalas as a disposable commodity, as they never filed a claim.

My last trip in Germany, I noticed a chip on the front air dam of my rented A8. I was thinking I might have done it, as parking that barge can be a challenge in the usually tight spaces found there. I bought a permanent marker and filled it in (on plastic), never noticed it. It might have been there before. I've never damaged a rental car and had it be my fault, or be charged for it.

Keeping us very busy at work and I know I made the right decision becoming a Hertz employee. Last summer working as an independent contractor for those other companies, I worked only a handful of times July, August and September...nothing near the hours I am getting now. And I've got a very good feeling that I will be able to keep this gig until I finally decide to retire again...they have no plans to outsource it again at least in our area and the rental market is pretty strong here in South Florida most of the year. Season is always busy and this summer has been very busy for our locations...we usually go right to work at 8 when we clock on and never really just sit around doing nothing...it's pretty constant work all day long. Hey, today was a 10 hour day though Monday's and Friday's are our busiest days. And from what I hear, my old companies are real slow again this summer as I know people who see them when they do work. No, I definitely made the right decision by going with Hertz as a part time employee. And I left the door open to go back to the West Palm gig once season starts as I know they will need drivers...I just need to use more moderation on the days that I do decide to work for them and no more working 7 days a week!

• berriberri Posts: 4,254

I've generally been happy with Hertz. I'm gold. But seems like recently they are cheapening out a bit on models and options. Might go back and give National another try.

I work at a Hertz Local Edition location and got to drive one of our BMW 328I's over to have the tracking device installed. Nice ride and saw a few new one's at the maintenance lot getting prepped to be put into service. Think they're getting ready to purchase a bunch of new vehicles soon because you are right, some of our fleet is getting a bit miled up. Think the company lengthened the time period when they purchase replacement vehicles. Funny, but certain makes and models are sold at the auctions more so than others. I know we drive a bunch of vehicles to be wholesaled or taken to the auctions. Guess it just depends on the make and model and mileage of the particular units. Give Hertz another try in a bit and think you'll be much happier. I will pass along your comments to our area manager as comments from actual renters are always helpful so we know what areas we need to improve on. Right now, I am a very happy Hertz employee and have loved it since I came aboard last January 17th. Hope to stay with the company until I retire again, and for good, once I turn 65 in about 5 more years. I'm lucky because I look forward to going into work each time I go...working part time also could have something to do with it. Do not want full time work and was lucky enough that they only want me part time. Have been averaging around 27 hours/week which works out great actually, working 3.5 days each week which is enough as I did the full time thing for over 31 years with Uncle Sam and now looking to ease out of the work force gradually.

Local Avis/Budget was pretty packed this morning, nice cars included an XC60 T5 and an XTS4.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,197

@fintail said: I've sometimes photographed a car, if I spotted damage before the rental.

A few years ago, my rental Impala (picked up with 4 miles on it) got hit and ran in the hotel parking lot in suburban Atlanta. I called Amex, who I use for rental insurance. I estimated about $500 in damage - Thrifty must think of Impalas as a disposable commodity, as they never filed a claim.

My last trip in Germany, I noticed a chip on the front air dam of my rented A8. I was thinking I might have done it, as parking that barge can be a challenge in the usually tight spaces found there. I bought a permanent marker and filled it in (on plastic), never noticed it. It might have been there before. I've never damaged a rental car and had it be my fault, or be charged for it.

My wife and I photograph a rental car all the time after Enterprise tried to rip her off a couple years ago for pre-existing damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if rental agencies give agents a cut of the proceeds from "damage" claims (that never get repaired, I'd wager). I suspect it's a racket.

@lemko said: My wife and I photograph a rental car all the time after Enterprise tried to rip her off a couple years ago for pre-existing damage.

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 370

Had a new Chrysler 200 last week in Indianapolis, definitely an improvement but I wasn't wowed. The brakes were super "grabby" especially after it sat for a bit. Nice interior and their UConnect system seems to be one of the best out there in terms of responsiveness.

• berriberri Posts: 4,254

Hey Lemko - read an Andre post: What happened to the Grand Marquis?

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343

@fintail said: I wouldn't be surprised if rental agencies give agents a cut of the proceeds from "damage" claims (that never get repaired, I'd wager). I suspect it's a racket.

Enterprise tried to scam me for a pre-existing contoured paintless damage dent for $250. They charged my CC, I disputed it, while in "dispute," they sent me a check for about 77 bucks since the supposed "repair" cost less than $250, and I won my dispute with the credit card company, so I got the $250 back on top of that.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343

Rented from Sixt Rentals that just opened up over the Labor day weekend in San Diego by the airport. They are right next to the Airport, but you don't pay ridiculous Air Port fees and taxes.

I rented a luxury car (C-Class Mercedes or BMW 3 Series) and ended up in an E350 Mercedes. Nice ride. Super special opener deal at $37/day + fees/taxes. I had the car for the 3 day weekend and paid about $124 total. Very good looking almost all female rental staff. I mean a bunch of good looking young ladies. Didn't ask what the upcharge would be to include one of them in the passenger seat.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,233

@andres3 said: Very good looking almost all female rental staff. I mean a bunch of good looking young ladies. Didn't ask what the upcharge would be to include one of them in the passenger seat.

If California is still a community property state, I'd say about 50% of everything you own.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Sixt is in LA now, too. If/when I am there again, I will probably choose them. The rates for a fancier car are bargains compared with the traditional players.

Regarding the rental agents - I've seen the same thing in Germany.
    andres3 said:

Rented from Sixt Rentals that just opened up over the Labor day weekend in San Diego by the airport. They are right next to the Airport, but you don't pay ridiculous Air Port fees and taxes.

The Sixt rental place in Ft. Lauderdale is right off the airport and their shuttle continually goes back and forth. Loved moving vehicles for them because they had some nice iron and their prices weren't that outrageous to be honest. If I end up going back to the old company on a limited basis, hoping they still contract work with Sixt.
    Today was a bad pain day and am second guessing my idea to go back to the other gig on a limited basis. Was going to send off a letter today but ended up in bed so need to rethink this idea. I can handle the 3.5 days at Hertz with no problem but I have the other days to rest my body which I seem to really need. Might be best to leave things the way they are and just because I ask doesn't mean they're going to welcome me back either!

A friend of mine decided to take a last minute trip to the coast this weekend, went to Sixt at Seatac and got an S60 T5 for $35/day. He liked it a lot, feels like a Bentley compared to the Prius.