Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

1606162636466»

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 6,239
    edited September 19
    I booked a flight for next month. I usually use Hertz Gold, but their cars seem to have cheapened up over the past year or two. Just want a sedan and even with an affinity discount and promo code a weekly rental was going to be over $450. (summer is over and apparently they have really jacked up their rates) I think they are trying to get you to go the airline route and buy a $60 cheaper nonrefundable rate. Speaking of airlines, found out my Hertz Gold miles apparently aren't accepted at some airport locations. Anyway, checked into Costco. My kid has had good luck with that. I'm getting essentially the same car at $296, and the rate is refundable through Costco with Enterprise. It will be interesting to see how that goes. The one drawback is I won't be able to walk right to my car, but for $150 difference I can wait in line.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 37,837
    I recently booked a car too. I was thinking about a cheapish trip to take this year, so I cashed in some air miles and Hertz points, and am flying into ATL then on to the coast in November. Those combined with pricelined and points hotels will make it not too hard on the wallet, and I'll spend most of the trip in the mellow area from Charleston to Daytona Beach. Should be good weather that time of year.

I have a ton of Hertz points from an online survey site. I booked a "luxury" class car for 10 days - I could have got a "premium" for less points, but I don't want to risk a zero option Charger (my last Hertz "premium") or one of the zero option Impalas I read are in the Hertz premium fleet. A "luxury" will be a 300 or maybe something nicer, which is more fun - I want something enjoyable for the drive.
  • berriberri Posts: 6,239
    I like both of those places. Daytona Beach may be a bit tacky, but during offseason periods it is pretty laid back and affordable. Charleston is nice, but much more commercial than a decade or so ago. Savannah is a couple hour drive from there if you are into the arts or civil war stuff. Don't know if you can still get Paula Deen "budder" cookin' there though B)
    I got some good hotel details as I booked places further south. I'll be spending a couple days in Savannah yeah, and visiting an old friend there. I've been there before, so not a new experience, but it is comfortable.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 3,691
    Weather here in Florida then should be nice as our heat usually breaks sometime in October. Last winter, if one could call it that, wasn't that cold really, maybe call it a cool one but we take what we get down here. Did Charleston when the kids were teens and it was quite fun actually. And a very good chance of getting a MB or something similar is very possible from Hertz. Call the office in advance maybe and see what they can do for ya. Many times this happens at ours and yours truly is the one who usually gets it.

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

I don't know if I could call into a major airport and request a car - but might be able to negotiate at the desk if you can charm the agent.

Saw what I am pretty sure is a rental CTS in the workplace garage this morning - I wouldn't complain about one of those.
    Saw what looked like a nicely equipped Tahoe LTZ rental yesterday (multiple barcodes, plates with no frames, etc), that wouldn't be a bad cruiser. Too many zero option cars in the fleets.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 Wilmington, NCPosts: 812
    edited 6:29PM
    fintail said:

Gen 9 is definitely in the rental fleets on the west coast.

I've seen several of the Gen 9 in fleets in the southeast and midwest. Drove it a couple of times, it's as good as the Camry except for the dash, the fabric sewn on look doesn't work for me.