Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,369
    suydam said:

What do you have to do to get a speeding ticket in Florida? When we were there everyone was driving 80 at least!

All it takes typically is being at the wrong place at the wrong time (that time of the month). Usually takes going 15 over, along with good weather and sunshine.

Anyone ever been pulled over while it was raining or snowing? Nope? Doubt it!
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,602
    Typically when it is raining or snowing you slow down a bit. So, that could explain it as well.

2015 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 53,918

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 50,511
    That's every third H3, where I live. Wasn't sure they came in any other color.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 39,857
    tjc78 said:

Typically when it is raining or snowing you slow down a bit. So, that could explain it as well.

Ah, but then there's the "driving too fast for conditions" infraction.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 1,324
    I've never known anyone who received a moving violation for "driving too fast for conditions". I know it's possible, I've just never seen it, or heard directly from anyone on the receiving end.
    2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2013 Passat TDI SE
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,369
    I hit some heavy fog a long time ago on a long drive up I5 in CA. Never felt safer from a speeding ticket with visibility so low! Of course, it was never more dangerous to speed either. If everyone does everything right it'll all be OK. When some goof-off decides to park it in one of the travel lanes that's when you hear about those yearly 40+ car pileups.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 39,857
    andres3 said:

I hit some heavy fog a long time ago on a long drive up I5 in CA. Never felt safer from a speeding ticket with visibility so low! Of course, it was never more dangerous to speed either. If everyone does everything right it'll all be OK. When some goof-off decides to park it in one of the travel lanes that's when you hear about those yearly 40+ car pileups.

"Tule" fog can be deadly, that's for sure.

And, speed differential is probably the largest contributing factor to those multi-car pileups you hear about in bad weather.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 53,918
    edited October 31
    kyfdx said:

That's every third H3, where I live. Wasn't sure they came in any other color.
    Some people love 'em. They used to rent the H2s as I recall.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 20,384
    suydam said:

What do you have to do to get a speeding ticket in Florida? When we were there everyone was driving 80 at least!

Have out-of-state plates.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 50,511

suydam said:

Have out-of-state plates.

Or, a rental car barcode on your window.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fintailfintail Posts: 38,536
    Or possibly local plates and a high end car.

Today I saw a pair of identical grey/beige Altimas parked in front of a hotel, rentals. I don't know if anything says "rental" more today than a base model Altima, it's as loud as an Impala Limited, but at least a handful don't sell to fleets.
  • berriberri Posts: 6,538
    Oh, I just saw a bunch of Hyunkia's in the rental garage last week; sedans, crossovers and vans. If you just want something comfortable to tool around while on travel, the Altima is alright really. Now for your sojourn, I'd expect you will be looking for something more interesting Fin :D
    Thinking of Hyunkia, Genesis has been in many fleets too, and Cadenza/Credenza from time to time as well. I know National had the K9 for awhile, but I think that event has passed. For the time and distance I will be driving, yes, I want something more than the lowest price rental fodder.

Sandman, call up Hertz ATL and tell them to have a fancy fleet during the middle of next week :)

On the road today, a rental Explorer ignoring pedestrians crossing a driveway, and what I am pretty sure was a rental 300 that looked like a higher option car.
    If you end up premium with a 300, better be a Hemi!
    There's been inflation in rental car categories. In Murica, "Premium" will likely get you a new style Impala (if you are lucky, LTZ, but LT probably more common), maybe a Taurus, at one time Azera or Cadenza, etc. At Hertz anyway, I have read even the Lacrosse has been bumped to "luxury", along with 300, maybe Avalon, etc - cars that were once "Premium". I rented "Luxury", as I am using points.

In Europe, "Premium" is usually 4cyl E/5er etc, "Luxury" is a 6cyl variant.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 3,800
    We picked up 3 Mercedes today...a CLA, a C and an E and drove them back to our office. We also had 7 Tahoes/Suburbans ready to rent. Finally with season here, we're getting rentable vehicles in. Yay!!

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

New style E or 2010-16 E?
    Saw another rental CTS in the workplace parking garage, same spec as the other - 3.6, pano, HUD. Nice.

I'll have my ATL rental tomorrow afternoon, anxious to see what I get, or what I talk my way into.
  • jpp5862jpp5862 Wilmington, NCPosts: 861
    fintail said:

Saw another rental CTS in the workplace parking garage, same spec as the other - 3.6, pano, HUD. Nice.

I'll have my ATL rental tomorrow afternoon, anxious to see what I get, or what I talk my way into.

Good luck fin. A friend of mine who rents from Hertz often is on his third Dodge Journey. He tried Avis last week and gladly paid an extra $15/day for a Jag XE.

Look forward to hearing what you get and your experiences here in the Southeast.
    On the ground in ATL today, got the car earlier today and drove around a bit. And the Hertz "luxury" class rewarded me with:

A basic Chrysler 300. The typical generic "luxury" standby in more than one fleet.

Leather, no roof, no nav, doesn't appear to have steering wheel radio controls (?), playskool quality reverse cam resolution (but at least it has one), 12K miles, light wear and tear, but not too bad for a rental. I still get a MB W210 feel with some of the controls. I gave it a 5 minute detail inside, cleaning the controls and windows, and now it passes muster.

On the plus side, the big V6 is whisper quiet at idle, has a lot of power, and it is very smooth and serene on the highway. Seats are decent, it has bluetooth, USB, SD card, etc, and one cool thing - XM Radio is active. That'll come in handy on my road trips. It'll probably get decent mileage for a big gasser, and it takes RUG. Fuel is super cheap here, so no problem. I didn't think to get a pic, but it is dark grey with black interior.

When I arrived, I saw the car in my spot, saw that it was very basic, and went to the Gold desk to see what else was available. The nice agent told me nothing was available in my class, but she could get me a "deal" on an upgrade. Infiniti Q50 for 25/day, CLA for 40/day, XT5 for 75/day (!). I thought about the Infiniti, but after examining the car (pretty beat up, absolutely basic 2.0 model with nothing on it), decided the Chrysler was a better value - as this is a points rental, it is costing me little.

Other cars I noticed - "dream cars" had a Cayman, a C63, and a Tesla (I didn't even ask - 100+ per day no doubt), the normal spots were a sea of Chevy and Nissan. The agent mentioned they used to have several Cadillac, but not anymore - I guess the rumor that Caddy has cut back fleet sales might be true.
    Update - it has steering wheel controls. They are behind the spokes, which seems odd to me. No manual of course, so I had to look it up online.
    That engine is pretty noisy on the uphill pavement in the minivans, but hopefully won't be as noticeable in a 300 sedan. I've only driven a 300 with a Hemi, but I'm not complaining :D
    fintail said:

Update - it has steering wheel controls. They are behind the spokes, which seems odd to me. No manual of course, so I had to look it up online.

That's a Chrysler thing. Been that way since the mid 90s. Pretty sure it started on the Grand Cherokee. I know at the office in the early 2000s we had a 96 wth controls just like that and a recent Chrysler town and country I drove was the same.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 52,064
    That's the way they are on my '09 Grand Caravan but I would have sworn they were on top of the steering wheel.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

I actually never minded the placement, your hands naturally fall there.

I am sure I will adapt. Maybe just easier having a pictogram explaining what does what.
    Noticing other rentals around in this touristy area - Camry, Altima, Charger, a 300 with roof, XT5, Sentra.

I noticed my car has a decent sized scratch on the roof. I am pretty sure I didn't do it, didn't notice it upon delivery. However, the Hertz invoice doesn't seem to have an area for damage at all - based on the wear and tear on the car already (how the heck does the headliner get spots?), I think they just don't care.
    In Savannah today, rental car paradise, Altimas and Hyundais as far as the eye can see. Saw another rental 300 that appeared to have the next option group up from mine.