Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche Speedometer

I have a 2004 Avalanche. Driving home from work about 2 weeks ago,(which is a 1hr & 10 min drive), all was normal and I was driving @ 60-65 mph on I-20..when all of a sudden I looked down & my speedometer said 120!! I said what the@#$!?...I was close to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle so I pulled in at the service dept. When I turned the truck off, the speedometer was reading 50 (poor thing couldn't make it back down to 0). Showed the service guy & told him what happened. He said he had heard about some speedometers sticking and maybe could replace it up to 70,000 miles but I have 122,000 on mine (hadn't heard about that & mine just started.) I asked what could be done-he said I could replace the instrument panel which would be $500-600 dollars or I could just reset it by turning it on & off. Well, I took the later but you can do that but so long. Went on the Trailblazer forum & saw they are having big time problems with theirs-maybe they stuck a Trailblazer instrument panel on mine.....Has anyone else with an Ava had any trouble with theirs?

Comments

• patmc32patmc32 Posts: 1
    I also have had some major issues with my instrument cluster. It started out with my tach stopping, then it went to the speedometer and now the tach doesn't work at all and the speedometr stops working after about driving 20miles. I checked for a recall but none out there. Not sure what to do
  • There is a recall, with limitations ...

E Mail me & I'll send a copy of the recall leter to you

C

caesar5@comcast.net
  • toycuptoycup Posts: 2
    Hi C,
    If you still have a copy of the recall letter, I sure would appreciate it if you could send it to me also so I could see it. It sure is frustrating to have this problem & unable to have the dealer do something about a problem that is on their part.. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Thanks lots,

zandra@comporium.net
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497

As noted in the post box instructions, we have no control over who may search and use your email address for malicious purposes. Do not put your email address in your messages. If you wish to contact someone, all members have a CarSpace address (username at carspace.com), or click their profile.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• halinahalina Posts: 1
    My 2003 Avalanche odometer reading is now 58000, which of course beyond the warranty. The speedometer sticks and ends up going to 120.If still have a copy of the recall letter. i sure will appreciate it if you could send it to me
  • mine just stated to stick last night 9/12/08 it stayed at zero when i was going i guess 30 or forty 2004 avalanche with about 59,000 miles i would sure like a copy of that recall. thanks for your help in advance, jeff
  • : :confuse: Can you e-mail me about the recall? Thanks, Dan
  • ace36ace36 Posts: 1
    Hello C.

I am new to this forum and I too have a Chevy Ava 03. I am also having the same problem with my speedometer also my gas gauge. If you don't mind could you also give me the website. I would greatly appreciate it.

Ace
  • jzflojzflo Posts: 1
    Hello C,

I have the same problem with my '04 Avalanche. Can you please send me a copy of th recall letter as well?

Thanks for your help!

jzflo
  • I would greatly appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of the letter. My dealer is telling me he cannot do the work for free without a copy,

THANKS SO MUCH
  • JW11JW11 Posts: 1
    My 05 Avalanche just started the same thing this evening on my way home from work. Could someone send me a copy as well?
    Thank you
    JW
  • JimC31JimC31 Posts: 1
    My 04 Avalanche started speedometer problems (up and down and finally stayed at above 120 even when stopped) on a trip which ended on Jan 5. I checked on the internet and found this is not an unusual problem. I have 77,000+ miles so I was told by the customer service reps that I was not covered. I told them I was the original owner, the dealer I bought the vehicle from has done all the service work, and that they could verify that this vehicle had not been abused. I told them (I actually talked to three different service reps) I didn't understand what was "Magic" about 70,000 miles. If a part is defective it shouldn't matter if it quits at 30,000 miles or 130,000 miles or whenever. I don't know what the process included but two days later I got a call from GM and they agreed to pay half the cost of replacement I went to the dealer this morning and they are scheduled to replace it tomorrow afternoon. BTW, these "Customer Service Managers" have no authority to do anything but take information. They are mostly young college students who work there until they find something better. Maybe if you push enough you can get some assistance.
  • fjmjrfjmjr Posts: 1
    I live in Vt. and when the temperature goes down so you need a coat my speedodmeter doesn't work untill , I guess it warms up with the heat on.Finally when I "stop"and start up again then it will work like it suppose to but in the mean time I have to calculate my speed using the tach.I keep hearing there is a recall on this ,can someone mail me a copy ?
  • I am new to the site and not sure how to get you my email address. I have an 03 Avalanche and the odometer display changes consistently from one language to another and changes what it displays. If this is covered under te warranty I would appreciate a copy of the letter you have.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    In the Forums Preferences (link in the right-side toolbar), make your email address "public" - it will be visible to members in your profile.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Hi, I too am having the same problem with my 04 Avalanche. Can you send me a copy of the recall notice as well. Thx.
  • I have a 2004 Avalanche as well and my speedometer doesnt work at all anymore. Also the oil pressure guage i stuck and not sure if the gas is reading correctly. I see that some one said that there is a recall with limitations out there on this matter. Could you please send me info on that because I can't find anyting out there? I have all of the other recall info but nothing on the speedometer and such.
    watersedge47@gmail.com
  • seafarmerseafarmer Posts: 16
    There is a special recall on the instrument cluster. I have copy of a class action law suit filed for correction but I don't know how to attach it or post the file to this message. email me at seafarmer@hotmail.com and I'll send you a scan of the document. The dealership replaced mine at no charge under a "special notice".">
  • garthwgarthw Posts: 15
    Sir, I just read your post, and I'm having the same problem and have been for a few months now with the Oil Guage. The Dealer has been no help !
    Today the speedometer just stopped at 10 miles per hour ! !
    If you would be so kind and send me any recall info you have i would Greatly appreaciate it.
  • garthwgarthw Posts: 15
    Sir:
    I'm having the same problem it just started a few months ago and of course the dealer knows nothing. Would you please send me a copy of the letter or any correspondence you may have about this matter. Thank You
    Garth Wall mikewalll@yahoo.com