Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• I too had the fan clutch replaced...the "jet noise" and ticking stopped for a while..and is back again. This truck is possessed and nothing but junk. I've had so many problems with it and it just turned 80,000 miles. The driver's side turn signal/brake will not work when it rains; if I am using the CD player and put down the sun visor..the CD player stopps working; even with the wipers off...the come on by themselves...the A/C and heat works when/where it wants; the service engine light will not go off.....and the gas mileage is HORRIBLE. I can't afford another truck now...so I guess I'm stuck...
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Ticking noise - If it's the same problem we had a long time ago it was eliminated when the PCM was updated with new firmware, I believe it had something to do with altering the VVT until the engine was warmed up. We also had a loud "ratchet" type noise coming from under the dash, it was the mode door actuator and was repaired under warranty.
    Window not working - shouldn't be that hard to diagnose/repair.
    Loud noise when "taking off" - could be fan clutch, if it's not working right the fan will be on full force and will be noisy. It's another known potential problem area.
  • my Trailblazer EXT tramssion won't shift into 3rd gear. any suggestion besides the expensive one?
  • :mad: my key wont turn off and key is stuck and at the same time my gear shifter wont lock and moves freely!!!!!!!!!!!! are these related are just a strike of luck????? and what would cause all of this???????? :( :( :(
  • I have a 2002 ltz 12000 miles my problem has been going on for a bit i lose power while driving and even when just at idle i have had it checked with no help from anyone and alot of money i was able to let it warm up for 30 mins or so and would not have a problem now its losing power while im driving.
    Please help with any info
  • me too at 164,500 miles...they say it is the clutch pistons 4 3rd and 4th gears....($3,000.00 parts and labor 4 a re-built transmission), I hope it is fixed, I have the V-8 and love my TB...it has been a workhorse for me...
  • jmes_rodjmes_rod Posts: 3
    hi to all... anyone knows how to fix P1174 code?.. i already make a tune-up complete i already remove the injectors and clean it by lunch machine and i already check the intake manifold for some leaking air... the problem is same.. im thinking now to remove the catalyst... any suggestion..... thanks
  • dustinbdustinb Posts: 2
    I have had a similar problem with my 2005 chevy trailblazer. I have had it in to the shop for the last 1 1/2 months to the chevrolet dealership three times the dealership went as far as to replace the throttle body system ,gas pedal(that also includes throttlr position sensor) cam shaft position sensor, cam shaft actuator solenoid, along with standard services and there seems to be no end in sight. This seems to be an ongoing problem since I have spoken to several other owners who are having the same problems.No one in general motors has thusfar had an answer to this situation and my repair costs are upwards of $ 1000. I have been a chevrolet man for as long as i can remember and this has been a major upset. Good luck with your situation. :mad:
  • dustinbdustinb Posts: 2
    I have had this same problem I have gone as far as to have the gas pedal(which includes the throttle position sensor) cam shaft actuator solenoid, cam shaft position sensor, throttle body plennum(i hope that is spelled right) and no resolve to this situation. I have had my trailblazer to the dealership three times and in the shop for over a month. Unfortunately this may only be the beggining of your troubles. No one i have spoken to has a fix for this problem. Good luck. :mad:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,130
    Hello Dustinb,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing and issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can find my email when you click on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • jmes_rodjmes_rod Posts: 3
    hi.... can you tell us what is the code.. thanks.
  • I have a TB that recently started to display the above light. It came on the day after I replaced my battery. The light shuts off when my car shuts off and sometimes takes up to 2 hours to come back on; other times it is immediately. I have avoided highway driving even though I haven't had it actually reduce speed yet. I haven't driven over 55mph since it started last Friday. I took it to Autozone but it wasn't registering any code. I took it over to the Chevy Dealership and they told me that they have had a 2003 TB in with the same problem and they can't get a code either. They recommended a list of repairs; almost $2000 worth of parts but they don't know which one will work. I am not about to start replacing parts that may or may not be the problem. I've seen so many different reasons for the light to come on I don't even know where to begin. Any suggestions?
    Are you saying that the "reduced engine power" light comes on but it runs otherwise normally? My experience is that reduced engine power means you're only able to crawl off to the side of the road and stop.
  • Yes. So far I haven't seen anything abnormal. It still runs. I can still get up to 60mph although I haven't tried going faster than that. But the light is coming on sooner each time I stop and start the car. Seeing that most people have not been able to drive their cars, it raised an eyebrow for me too. Plus not being able to get a DTC on it.
  • jagtxjagtx Posts: 2
    Replaced a bad alternator last week. Now it starts and charges fine but the idle goes crazy when I turn the A/C on. It dies when I come to stops and sometimes speeds up when I take my foot off the gas going over 35mph. I've been driving it around without A/C on and have only noticed a couple of minor surges when parking. Does anyone know which fuses I should check or any other causes of this issue?
  • willsey03willsey03 Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer that the REP warning light started coming on and I never lost engine power either. I have it in the shop at this posting and they told my wife last night that the clutch fan was going out and there was some kind of emmissions leak that they were looking at. Would that cause the REP to stay on?
  • willsey03willsey03 Posts: 3
    Well I picked up my vehicle with a new fan clutch and water pump. A bargain at $1,200.00 :surprise:
    Anyway, they also mentioned I need brake pads and I have leak in the rear Pinion gasket :confuse:
  • I have been told these are issues also with the REP light. The problem with mine is that it still isn't picking up a code so they can't even begin to speculate what part(s) it could be. I replaced the water pump about 5 or 6 months ago and the serpentine belt/ battery the week before the light came on. I spoke with a mechanic that told me it could be anything from the spark plugs to something major. Hopefully you won't have any more problems. I am still waiting for my car to actual do something that will produce an answer. Its still running fine but the light is coming on more frequently.
  • lizc7lizc7 Posts: 1
    Is anyone experiencing problems with their trailblazer going in reverse while in drive? It is the second time it has happened with mine and it is usually after stopping on a hill, then pressing the gas to go forward. Instead of moving forward, it starts to go in reverse. The only way to drive forward is to put the car in park (in traffic), turn it off and restart it. Mechanics have no idea what the problem could be, does anyone?
  • seemenow1seemenow1 Posts: 1
    I took my 2004 TB to the dealership to get a electronic diagnostic test that cost me $95.00 only to find out that my power-train control module had some sort of internal fault. Can anyone tell me if this power-train control module be reset or re programmed
    If it has an "internal fault" then it more or less means that a reset or reprogram won't help I would think. Do you know what the code or codes they read were?
  • I am interested if you found a solution to your problem. Your problem is IDENTICAL to mine! I am at my wits end trying to find someone to help me identify the problem. Replaced the alternator and battery. Ever since then, anytime I turn on the a/c or heater and I am not driving, it kills the engine. Any info you have would be great!!
  • jagtx,

I had a bad clutch fan and they replaced a leaking waterpump while down there. It fixed the problem.
    Hope this helps.

willsey03
    Could be the IAC (idle air control). It should open and close as needed based on load at idle.
  • i have a 2005 trailblazer ls. it has the i6 4.2l. i have about 72k miles on it. i am starting to get what sounds like a top end knock. it also feels like/sounds like its low on oil. it is full of oil. i do all my own maintenace but i have no idea where to start looking. anyone have a suggestion?
  • My 03 Trailblazer started missing so bad that when I had the cruise control on and was going up a hill, it knocked the cruise control off and that no longer works. I have replaced my left rear turn signal numerous times and it still won't work..I keep getting water in the light..any suggestions?? :lemon:
  • I have a 2003 Trailblazer, EXT with 92,000 miles on it. The engine started missing..missing so bad it would knock out the cruise control. The plugs were changed and it stopped for a couple of weeks and has now started missing again. Any other similar problems/suggestions? Thanks! :lemon:
  • kasihiakasihia Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The loss of engine power light kept coming on and eventually got bad enough that it stalled out and even almost got me into a few accidents but cutting power without much warning. After $800 in parts (thankfully my husband could do all of the labor), we found a fix for the problem. Try your map sensor and mass airflow sensor. We tried the alternator, serpentine belt, battery, cleaning the throttle body, a new accelerator pedal, etc. etc.
  • glocksglocks Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that, I guess, has a blown engine. THe dealership told me it was a lack of maintenance, even though I get my oil changed on a regular basis. they said a fire burned a hole in the piston in cylinder #4. Anyone ever have this kind of experience with a 5.3l, V8 Aluminum Cast engine block?
  • hotcoalhotcoal Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Where do I start. I purchased my 2004 Trailblazer in 2008 as a Certified Pre Owned GM vehicle. When I got my first oil change after purchasing the vehicle, the mechanic showed me that the dipstick for the transmission was completely gone, it has rusted off. I returned the vehicle to the dealership showed them the dipstick and asked them how something as simple as this was not discovered during the supposed GM Certification process. I asked to be able to trade the vehicle for another one, demanded that I didn't want it and I was only offered trade in value which was substantially less than I paid for it. If only I knew what I know now I would have gladly taken the trade in value. Last year (my final year of payments) I was having an error code for engine misfire. After paying for diagnostics I was informed I had a bad cylinder (not holding compression) and had two choices, 1. Repair the valves and cylinders on existing engine $3,500 or 2. Put in a another used engine with 30,000 less miles than mine that came with a parts and labor warranty $1,800.00. I opted for option two. Six months later, I have misfires in two cylinders that are random. The mechanic says this is likely the problem I had with my previous engine just not as far along yet, good thing I got the warranty. Today the transmission went out, so I have an engine that needs to be repaired and I need a new transmission. On top of that the air conditioner will not blow out the front vents, says I need a new actuator. The instrument cluster hasn't worked for two years. The headlights, brake lights, tail lights etc. need replacing every few months if not weeks. CD player quit working the first few months I had it. Check engine light never goes off. I drive it back and forth to work (50 miles roundtrip) everyday and that's it. I finally paid it off in February and now I need to spend thousands more on repairs. Many of these problems I have had are problems that many Trailblazer / Envoy owners have. GM does not issue recalls or will not correct these issues. GM will not stand behind their product I will never buy another GM vehicle. Sorry for the length, my rant is over.