Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any GOOD Kia Sedona Experiences?

2»

Comments

• I have a 2006 Sedona with about 24,000 miles on it and so far I am very satisfied with the vehicle. The Sedona has terrible depreciation so if you are considering purchasing one you may try to get one that is maybe a year old and save a good 5 or 6 grand.

Things I do not like about the vehicle:
    Gas mileage is pretty bad in the city. I get around 12-14 mpg in city driving. This is with numerous 1 or 2 mile trips so I believe it can be better if you make longer trips. On the highway, the mileage is around 20-22 traveling at speeds of 85-90 mph.

Transmission is very reluctant to kick down for highway merging and passing Sometimes, the shifts can also be rough.

Lots of wind noise from the windshield area at highway speeds. I mean lots. It is very difficult to have a conversation with a passenger in the 3rd row from the driver's seat.

Driver's seat height adjuster moves the seat cushion forward when you adjust it up and vice versa when down. I recommend that you set the height first and then adjust if fore/aft to get the best driving position. Also the position of the height adjuster on the side of the seat where it meets the cushion causes it to pinch the side cushion every time I get out. After a short while the cushion has indentations from the height adjuster. I believe the EX has a power seat and will not have this problem.

Armrests break easily. They are not actually broken per se, but the ones in the rear buckets do not hold their place anymore and rarely do I have passengers riding in the rear.

Brake pads wore faster than anticipated. I developed a squeaking sound on them at around 22,000 miles.

Tires on the LX trim are cheap (Hankook brand) and do not last very long.

Problem areas:
    A/C intake actuator makes knocking sound when shutting the car off after turning the A/C off. They replaced the intake actuator free of charge.

Other than that, the vehicle has performed fine and is a great value if you don't factor in depreciation. I also think it looks better than all minivans besides the Odyssey.
  • rculprculp Posts: 1
    Our 2002 Sedona just went over 100,000 miles and I have to say it has served us pretty well. The one thing that worries me now is some valve/lifter noise at start-up. I switched to synthetic oil at around 30,000 miles (Mobil-1, 10w30) and that seemed to nearly stop the problem, but now it's back. I tried Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40 and it eliminated the problem, but we started to notice an unpleasant oil burning smell while driving. I switched back to the Mobil-1 and the odor stopped but the lifter noise is back. Strange. We did have to have the A/C compressor replaced at around 70,000 miles and that was expensive. Right before 60,000 miles we decided to have the timing belt replaced and transaxle fluid changed, in order to keep the warranty in effect. The dealer here wanted an arm and a leg to do the work, but the local Goodyear place did it for a fraction of the price and guaranteed their work. We've been through three sets of tires and two brake jobs, which really isn't too bad for 100,000 miles. Obviously regular maintenence is essential to make any car last. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with it, especially since it's been paid for now for some time and is still running. That feels really good. I've always liked the way the Sedona drives and it has a lot of power for a mini van.
  • Has been a great van . Few minor problems fixed immediately by the dealer. 31k and running great. Best van for the money by far!
  • I have nothing but good things to say about my '08 Sedona, NOW, though I did have a problem with the battery draining when I first bought it. (Turned out a computer module was to blame; the dealer removed and then re-installed it and no problems with it since then.) This van is a dream on the highway; it has great acceleration and runs so smoothly. Believe it or not, my on-board trip computer says I'm getting OVER 25 mpg driving on the freeway at 70-75 mpg. One set of reviews I read was kind of funny; one of the reviewers said he kept finding excuses to be the designated driver when the group of reviewers went out drinking and took the Sedona, it was so much fun to drive. I have friends that have had the dreaded Odyssey transmission problems, and as a disgruntled former Honda Accord owner, I'm not convinced that the Japanese makes have the quality they used to. (My 70s and 80s eras Toyota and Honda were bulletproof, but my later models were just average in reliability.)
  • I have an EX 2007 Sedona with leather, sunroof, but no built-in DVD. Has 40K miles. Has needed new mirror and sunroof motors, new serpentine belt pulley, new lights up front - all bulbs blew, and a new power driver's seat (motor broke). All were replaced under warranty and my dealer was very good. We'll see how it is out of warranty in the future. It drives great - very solid performer in wet and snow and is truly comfortable and fairly well designed as far as everyday needs.I just hate the oil filter "unit" that I let the dealer replace because the seals are a pain. I did replace all brakes recently but it's a big heavy van and those were $800. But even the tire wear has been even. We'll see.....
  • rcwiiircwiii Posts: 7
    I know this is the "old" model, but I'll share anyway.

We bought a 2004 Kia Sedona brand new. It now has about 75k miles on it as my wife does not drive too much. We have had the oil changed about every 5k miles and had the regular maintenance done at 30k and 60k.
    The only problems were a seatbelt on the 2nd row breaking (wouldn't roll out anymore) and the cruise control stopped working. Both were fixed under warranty though the seat belt took a couple of trips because they forgot to look at it on the first trip (was having other service done as well) though that is dealers fault and not Kia's directly.

Overall I would say an good vehicle for the money as long as it hold up another couple of years for me I will be very pleased (knock on wood).
  • 11b33t11b33t Posts: 51
    Well, we're almost up 30k miles and 36 months with the van and can report that it's still running strong. I know it seems like low mileage but most of it is from daily driving in a small town.

Only other issue has been a battery discharge that necessitated a new battery and TSB re-program of the computer to resolve the glitch that was draining the battery. Replaced the OEM 245/60/17 Michelens at the 25k mile mark as they wore even yet very quickly with rotations every 5k miles. Gas mileage is still around the same (14-16 city / 24-26 hwy) with a tank of premium every other month when filling up.

Check the tire pressure and fluid levels weekly, all electronics in the cabin are holding up well, H/AC systems & components have no issues and other than tightening the captains chairs arm rests, all has been a satisfactory experience with our 07 Sedona EX.

Let's hear some more experiences folks...
  • After much debate between the Odyssey and Sedona, we ended up buying a 2009 EX that came with luxury package and entertainment package. The van has only 2400 miles and got an excellent deal on it (almost at half the price compared to a similarly equipped Odyssey.) So far, I am loving it. Only time will tell.
  • mnmmommnmmom Posts: 3
    UPDATE from us! After test driving a few Sedonas and researching and speaking with friends etc, we decided on an Odyssey. We bought a gently used '05 Odyssey at our local CarMax over a year ago. The price was very comparable to other used Sedonas with leather and power doors etc. We have a '98 Honda Civic and have never, ever had a problem with it, so Honda seemed to be the smart choice for us in the long run. We LOVE our Odyssey and plan on keeping it until it dies... which with well maintained Hondas, could be close to 300K miles! I don't think Kias last that long! :)
  • You ABSOLUTELY made the right choice. I wish I had purchased an Odyssey instead of my Kia. We traded in a 96 Honda Civic when we bought our 07 Sedona. I KNOW someone will still be driving our Honda after our Kia dies. ;)
  • At over 105,000 miles this beast just keeps going! * It literally saved our lives when a 100 foot tree fell on top of us in a storm. The roof rack took the brunt with the only damage being tiny dents on the hood. * We have always done regular oil changes. It does now tend to burn oil at about a pint every month and a half. *Tires do wear out faster on this very heavy van. We upgraded to Michelin right away and usually have to replace them within the warranty period so it costs very little. Must do regular rotations for warranty to be honored. * I usually have a load of boys , ages 7 through 12, that beat on the leather seats, hit the walls and windows with various rates of speed. The seatbelts hold, the leather is not ripped and we all remain safe. * The handle broke on the sliding door but was replaced in warranty. The original serpentine and timing belts just needed to be replaced at about 90,000 miles! *My biggest complaint is that it is green with tan trim. I have had 2 dogs, a cat and multiple birds run into me! I hope it will last another 4 years for my oldest son to have it when he gets his license. Heartily recommend this car to everyone!
  • anamhanamh Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    kia exp is really awesome nothing compare with this ,, I think kia zeep experience is the best experience in the world ,,

car leasing
  • kazmazkazmaz Posts: 13
    I'm surprised how many say they wished for a Honda Odyssey over the Kia WHEN the Odyssey is well known for its' terrible transmission failure record. Just Google "Odyssey transmission problems"!! I have not seen this expensive and worriesome issue with the Kia.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    We bought a 2002 EX brand new. Perhaps we've been lucky, but ours had very few issues in the 80,000 miles we owned it, and we traded it on a new 2006 EX.

The 2006 EX has 106,000 miles and has been nearly trouble-free. Very few warranty repairs, and nothing other than regular maintenance items beyond that. We decided to put ours up for sale, but it is bittersweet selling a vehicle that has performed so well for us. We've really enjoyed our Sedona and it's too bad we won't be driving it another 100,000 miles but we decided to get out of minivan ownership and 'upgrade' to an SUV.
  • At 140,000 km (I guess 100,000 miles) the oil valve went which led to $4000 in repairs. Besides the engine, the fuel ended up melting my exhaust manifold. My warranty ended 8 months ago and I am sorry I didn't get rid of it then. I guess it is really a hyundai entourage and there must be a reason why hyundai discontinued this vehicle.
  • I have a 2004 kia Sedona. It hasn't caused me any problems and I have had it for 5 years now. It has 245,000 miles and still no issues. I do go through wheel bearings but I have someone in my family that does them so no big cost there. Hopefully al of you get the same mileage out of your vans as well.
  • We purchased our 2007 Sedona SWB used in early 2011 with 87K miles. My wife lives the "soccer mom" life and is constantly back and forth to soccer, ballet, choir practice, youth group and library events. Van is a great size and the flip and tumble seats are easy to maneuver. I have to take the seats out if we absolutely need the room since they are heavy/bulky, but we rarely take them out. We are at 117K miles now and still going strong.

Gas mileage is over 20 on average, with 25+ mpg on several vacations.

We had one major repair for a fan control module, but everything else has been maintenance. We did add an aftermarket bluetooth radio so she could stream music and talk on the phone hands free.
2»