Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• samanatorsamanator Posts: 1
    The cooling fan stopped working. I put 12VDC to and it would run. When I hooked it back to the car, it would not come on when the coolant got hot. I think it's a relay but I don't know which one. I really could use some help as I can’t afford to take this car to a shop. thanks in advance for the help.
  • pinktoespinktoes Posts: 2
    I have had my Ion Coupe for about 1 year now and I have already had the horn replaced and the BCM replaced. Now I think my gas gauge is acting up. I will put gas in it and over night it will be 1/8-1/4 a tank lower. Then perhaps the following day, it will be back up to where I expected it to be. It is annoying and I wish my car would just work as expected. Also the cruise control does not work sometimes, and I have begun to wonder if the oil life monitor is working.

Could any of these problems be linked to the replaced BCM? Has anybody else experienced such issues?
  • pinktoespinktoes Posts: 2
    I bought my 05 Ion Coupe 3 about a year ago and have had nothing but headaches. First I had issues with the passive security system shutting off gas to the engine so I would have to pull over and turn the car off. Then my horn stopped working. My current problems include gas gauge fluctuations, a cruise control that works sometimes, a questionable oil life monitor, and more recently, it has difficult to remove my key after shutting it off and I worry it will get stuck in the ignition. Also, I have found the running the a/c seriously puts a dent in your gas mileage. Not good news for a Floridian.

I bought this car because everybody said how Saturn was so great. My parents had a Saturn wagon 7 years ago and it was a great car. I believe the quality of Saturn cars has decreased. I would advise against buying a Saturn. The car you get could be great, or it could be a bag of headaches like mine.
  • blzndavblzndav Posts: 2
    i have a 97 sl2 saturn im lookin for the location of the crankshaft sensor...
  • dyveddyved Posts: 1
    First time posting:
    My car has never given me any problems until just recently I drove to work and parked. After my normal day, I went in to start it, it seemed out of gas, but have a half tank. It just did not want to fire, the battery was okay, the starter was okay but there seemed to be no fuel getting to the engine. I checked some of the fuses the next day and all seemed all right. It seemed to start up fine after letting it sit over night. But once I headed out of town up a hill, it just stopped. As if again, out of gas. Please note, a few days earlier I pumped $20 in gas, although I did not listen to my better judgment and pumped gas when the stations gas tanker was filling their tanks. I realize this stirs up lots of sediments and stuff. Could this be the problem? Someone please advise. Greatly appreciated. :sick:
  • hey im having the same exact problem as you were and was wondering if you ever figured this out and what exactly is wrong with it. You are having the same exact problem as me. If you could please help me it would be much appreciated...thanks
  • hey did you ever end up figuring this out. Im having almost the exact same problem as you and i am getting the same exact codes as you are. If you could please help me out and either just reply or send me an email at nightsnipe@cox.net i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  • smartkidsmartkid Posts: 5
    This has to be the worst car i have ever bought. The first month was good, but then the engine would not start sometimes. The brake pedal felt very tough to press as if it were a rock. Plus, on top of that, the interior is marred with cheap plastic pieces everywhere. I am thinking about getting a mercury mariner. I suggest that noone buys a saturn. My previous one was good it was a 1996. They must have changed engineers or something becuase these cars are nothing like they used to be.link">
  • jbarniejbarnie Posts: 1
    Most of the Saturns I owned have a fuse relay box located under the hood on the drivers side. Unscrew the holddown nut and flip the cover over. It shows each relay and fuse and what they are for. Good luck
  • saras1asaras1a Posts: 1
    I got my car with 23,000 miles on it--my great grandmother's car. Today it has 72,000 miles on it.
    I have replaced the battery, twice.
    Replaced the alternator.
    Rebuilt the transmission--$1509.00--(At the time, it had 56,000 miles on it)
    Replaced the belt tensioner
    My gas gauge is broken,
    and I need a new muffler.

If it is not one problem, it's another.
    Since October my Saturn has been making an awful "clunking/rattling" noise. This noise mostly occurs when I am in drive and when it is completely stopped; if I put the car in neutral the noise quiets down. I was told it could be an engine pulley or a harmonic balancer--any ideas??? If so, please tell me and let me know what the ball park figure will be.
    :sick:
  • bookworm3bookworm3 Posts: 1
    Hello,

I had a similar problem with my 2002 L300. I had to turn off the security system, it should be in your manual. The security chip in the key was sending a faulty message to the computer, basically the car thought I was trying to steal it and shutting the gas off to the engine.

Hope this helps.
  • natbergnatberg Posts: 1
    My saturn is possessed. I was told it was my BCM. BCM??? What the heck is that? Why would that be screwed up? My question about these cheaply built cars is how does your BCM mess up? Beside the fact the dealer is selling you a cheap POS and raking in the doe by it falling apart constantly and what do you know only the dealer can fix the problem. :confuse:
  • martianmartian Posts: 220
    Anybody know where it is? My wifes RH front turn signal lamp stopped working-replacing the bulb doesn't help-but I don't know where the flasher module is-anybody know?
  • My 6 cyl. 2000 Saturn starts fine when cold but, on hot days, after I drive it and shut it off for just a short time, it will not start. It doesn't even turn over. If I wait a while for it to cool, it will start okay. What should I check? I'm a do-it-yourselfer but this problem does not show up on my OBDII. Could it be crank sensor? start motor? park/neutral sensing switch? Obviously whatever it is gets too hot and won't work till it cools off.
  • Just in case you still need info...
    I just resolved a 97 SL2 with that same issue as one of its problems (hard start, tip in stumble, intermittent bad idle, grey smoke at cold start) :sick: . What finally did the trick was the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECTS) and the Idle Air Control Valve (AICV). :D
  • Hey there --- I too have the same year, make and model of Saturn. My horn did the same thing only recently and I as well unplugged the fuse so that the horn doesn't operate.

I know it has been almost 6 months since you posted this question but I was wondering what you ended up doing to fix the problem and if you had any advice for a fellow 1994 Saturn SL2 owner.

Thanks in advance --- MATT06071977 from New Hampshire
  • vincalvincal Posts: 1
    how did you go about turning your system off looked through manuel and could not find
  • I'm looking for comments, advice, etc. from Vue owners who rack up a lot of highway miles. My '02 Vue is a FWD4 5 speed with 140,000 miles. It's running strong and has required minimal maintenance/repairs to date. I'd like to hear from owners with more miles than me regarding what to expect as the miles accumulate, and how to prolong the life of this vehicle as long as possible in a cost effective manner. Thanks!
  • Hi. I'm having a coolant issue with my Ion1. After the car reaches driving temperature, has been shut off, and allowed to sit for more that an hour or so, there seems to be coolant smoke coming out of the exhaust when I first start it back up. I have noticed that if I remove the overflow tank cap and release the pressure when I first turn the car off, this doesn't happen.
    Has this happened to anyone else? As far as I can figure, it is probably an intake manifold problem, since there is no coolant in the oil. I have no idea what this will cost, or if indeed this is the problem. Any suggestions of questions I should ask when I take it in for service? All help would be appreciated.
  • Just a wierd question about your Saturn. Did it start making the horrible clicking sound just after your "tensioner pulley" was replaced? Mine did, but I was dumb and drove it with the belt almost falling off for about 6 miles to a garage with no gauges working. Cost way too much to fix :)

Ralph
  • lswattslswatts Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the turn signal flasher module is located? Recently my turn signals and hazard flashers have only been working occasionally and intermittently (sometimes normal speed, sometimes slow, not at all, etc.). I called the dealer but his response was that I should just bring it in. Through internet research, it was suggested that the flasher might be the problem and I don't want to pay the dealer charges if I don't have to.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • sbagirlsbagirl Posts: 1
    Just got an '07 Vue (manual transmission). Love it, but it has one problem. Sometimes when accelerating after a period of "coasting" at one speed, engine revs but car does not accelerate, then the RPMs will suddenly jump about 500 and car will accelerate. It's almost like it's getting stuck in neutral for a few seconds (but it's firmly in gear). This has happened on level, uphill and downhill, both 4th & 5th gears.

Any idea what to make service look at? It's going back to dealer today.

Thanks.
  • heres one for you guys we have a 2001 L series heres that has an intermittent dash failer (ie gauges tach ect) last time this happened lost park lock dome lights powerlocks A/C No blown fuses relays or bad grounds that I can find messed around and purposlly shortted the trunk pop dash dimmer swith which blew BCM fuse replaced fuse and everything was back to normal now its doing its gauge thing again Im not lacking in wrenching ability but I do hate electrical have read some of the posts here and they point to alt or BCM failure have a repair manual for this vech but does not tell me where BCM is If any one knows would really appericate knowing avoid unnessacary disassembly THANKS
  • i am having the same exact problem when i swaped an angine out of a 96 sc2 into a 95 sc2 if you get any helpful replies please help me an forward them to jay_bauer@student.ntcmn.edu
    Thanx alot
  • im not positive but i think if you pull the left side kick panel and look above fuse box you will see a light brown relay plugged into its own set of wires i believe this is your clicker boxand or flasher relay.
  • Ive heard the same thing did you try a fuel treatment usally takes 24 hrs to work but if you got some water in the fuel it should clear it up usally when tanker is filling it will push condensation that is on top of fuel into fuel
  • I'm having a similar problem with intermittent starting. I have replaced the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, and just last week, the crank position sensor. I'm wondering if the one that was installed was faulty. Can you help me out?
  • I994 Saturn 2 dr.--Temp and fuel gauge inop--Checked and found IGN 1 , 10 amp fuse blown. Replaced fuse and it blew again-Wiring diagram shows a # of items on that fuse. One is the Passive Restraint Control Module. Where is that located and what should I check next?
    Thanks for any help.
  • 04 Vue FWD V6, 55k miles. Last Wednesday with no indication whatsoever, I went to turn the car on after doing business at an ATM (it had just been on not 3 minutes before) and POOF!! the car was completely dead, no interior lights, nothing. Someone was kind enough to stop and try to jump the car off, but the battery was too weak. :mad:

I had no indication at all that this was going to happen. The car has been extremely reliable and wasnt having any problems cranking.

Replaced the battery and everything seems to work fine now. Alternator checked fine with 13.9 VDC and almost 90Amps output.

Does anyone but me think a 2-1/2 year old car should need a new battery? Anyone have any idea how many years the battery is warrantied for? Should I go to my local Saturn dealer and try to get some sort of reimbursement?
  • hsavagehsavage Posts: 1
    I'm having this same issue on my new '07. I've taken it in 4+ times and they aren't able to reproduce it, could you tell me if you have any luck with it? Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.