Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• beebee13beebee13 Posts: 38
    #25 of 25 saturn dealerships closing by beebee13 Mar 07, 2006 (1:41 pm)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    I have a '97 Saturn wagon, and I sure love this little car. My sister recently bought an '05 VUE that is great for her. She recently took it in for its oil change, and was told that out closest dealership is closing. There are two more dealerships a little farther away that are ALSO closing!! Now we will have to go many many miles away if we want to go to a Saturn dealership. Her concern is her warranty... now what does she do?? I don't know if she has the extended or not, but all she was told by Saturn is that each dealership is independently owned, and that she will have to keep looking. Is this information correct?! I can't believe that Saturn would leave their customers high and dry like that! Any information would be greatly helpful. she is considering trading in her Saturn for something else as am I which is sad. We are in Southern California.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    not all dealerships are independently owned...some could be factory stores...but yeah, she has to go to an authorized dealer for service. Sometimes a factory will set up a "service-only" facility that doesn't sell cars.
  • I have a 2003 Saturn L200 with about 52,000 miles on it. Up until January 2006, I had no problems with the car or anything, and then right when I hit 50,000 miles, something went wrong with the passing gear. My transmission seems fine since I have no trouble accelerating or anything in the lower gears, but when I go for fast acceleration in higher gears trying to pass cars, my RPM's go between 5000 and 6000 and I don't gain any speed, in fact, it basically goes neutral and I lose speed. This is actually my first car so I have no idea what's wrong with it, and I was hoping to get some idea of what's wrong before I try to take it into the shop and probably get screwed over and charged a shitload of money. Thanks.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    She should be able to get her VUE serviced at any GM dealership. I believe the current VUE is based on the Equinox platform and shares many parts with other GM products. So a Chevy dealership should be able to adequately service her vehicle.

have her call Customer Service to confirm this.

Where she may have issues is with body parts but even then a good body shop can do the work.
  • I have a 1998 Saturn SC2 and it has started bucking all the time. It used to only do it at 60 kph and 80 kph but is now doing it all the time. My husband changed the spark plugs and ran a purge through the system but it hasn't helped. He also changed the fuel filter but that didn't do anything either. Someone suggested that it may be the coil. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Plug wires. Use AC Delco.
  • I have a 2003 L200 and have many problems with it. It does have close to 60,000 miles. I've had to replace brakes and rotors once already. I also have the exact same noise you are talking about. It doesn't happen all of the time, seems to be worse in the morning when the car is cold and improves throughout the day. The starter also sounds as if it is going. When I start the car I hear an awful grinding sound afterwards. Getting ready to take it to the shop this week. I have an extended warranty, I'm sure they will find some reason why the problems don't fall under it.
  • jst4jst4 Posts: 4
    On my third visit to the dealer, I hope we may have finally found the answer to the steering noises (it's getting fixed today). True to form, the steering would not make any noise during my third visit, but I demanded that they replace the power steering hose as suggested in a previous reply to my original message. When the mechanic started to look at that, he discovered that my steering rack was defective (the seals had leaked out their fluid) and needed to be replaced. He considered that a big problem and needs the whole day to repair it. Considering that the car turns three years old in June, it's weird to be having these kind of problems already. Also, my drivers side visor just fell off and they are replacing that too. Although it's all covered under warranty, I can only image what will happen next. Looks like you were wise to get the extended warranty. Oh yeah, and I just had them do something to my back brakes because they were making a terrible screeching sound. It was an easy fix, something about cleaning the brakes.
  • My 97 SL2 with 115,000 Km's has a strange power window problem. The front doors windows power up and down but with an irregular speed. One day they go down an inch or so and then almost stop. If you push the down button again they will go down a little bit more and when they reach about half way begin to speed up and finaly reach the full open position. They go up just fine. The next day they power down with no apparent slowness. This problem changes from day to day. The back windows seem fine. Obviously the front windows get more use. Is this a switch problem or a servo problem? If it is a switch, is it the button switch or some other mechanism in the door it self. :)
  • I've recently starting experiencing the same thing with my '02 SL2 - any help would be awesome!
  • jer78jer78 Posts: 3
    If she has the extended warrantly(i.e. Car Care Plan), she can return that through the delearship and recieve a prorated portion back of time not used. For regular warranty, you will still have to go through a Saturn Dealership. :cry:
  • jer78jer78 Posts: 3
    I have recently started customizing my 05 Saturn Vue, but have had little luck finding aftermarket items for it(other than what the dealership sells) I am just looking for items that would make my vehicle different and stand out.
  • My passing gear irregularity was diagnosed as a bad cylinder block - I guess it basically controls the amount of transmission fluid that allows the car to shift smoothly (either in and out of passing gears or regular). The fix cost me close to a grand - the part itself was close to $600. Good luck to all!
  • rkachmarrkachmar Posts: 2
    My 2001 SL1 with 42,000 miles has a very fast idle when you put in park after warmed up or sometimes at a stop light. I put a new cooling sensor in it, which did not fix the problem. This only does it when it,s cold outside. Any body have any ideas?
  • bustrbustr Posts: 1
    If this problem was during the winter months you may have had snow stuck or frozen in the wheels this could throw off the balance on the wheels causing a vibration. also mud will cause the same problems when stuck in wheels. maybe this will help!
  • I actually just had mine diagnosed as a problem with my catalytic converter by my mechanic. I had it towed to the nearest Saturn facility and it turns out the part was still covered under warranty, so the part, services, and towing were all covered. I was originally told by Saturn that it might be a bad cylinder block also, but my mechanic is amazing and took a look at it for me and found it was the catalytic converter. If the problem persists you might want them to take a look at that, and if your car has under 80,000 miles its warrantied.
  • I have a 05 Vue with the Honda 3.5. The engine will randomly mis-fire under the following conditions. Above 60 mph, below 35 deg. f. and after being driven 30+ miles at a steady speed. The dealers have reproduced it several times and attempted fixes but their scanners only show the mis-fires not a problem component. I have a case with customer service but they have told me that unless a dealer can reproduce the problem they will do nothing. The dealers will no longer drive the vehicle long enough to simulate the issue and now the weather is warming up. Looks like I'm caught in a "catch 22". Anybody else have a similar problem or a solution?
  • have you had this fixed yet. i am starting to have the same problem. just wondering what they said was actually wrong? thanks.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I'm not sure why customer service has an issue. The dealer reproduced the problem several times but could not fix it. If you have a service receipt, it should be documented on there and this is your proof.

The good thing is your warranty is to 36k miles, so I'm guessing with it being a 2005 that you will still be under this mileage next winter.

You may want to read in the Pilot forum to see if anyone is having this issue.
This discussion has been closed.