Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• By the way... it is a 3.0, V-6 engine.
  • Help - I now live 150 miles away from nearest saturn dealer. My front bumper was pulled off, and we got it back on, now the a/c system doesn't work. I have the auto system that shows outside temp. The Temp showing is 0C Fahrenheit. I can turn the fan on except the compressor doesn't kick in to cool the air. Also it doesn't show the inside temp when I turn the control knob to set it. It is very hot here now! Any ideas where to start? :cry:
  • ya i have same car same problem but talked to some mechanic an he said there was a purge valve around the starter that is the real problem i will have to check with a dealer to buy it an replace it hope it works
  • fatrabbitfatrabbit Posts: 2
    On the SL/SC/SW hard to start, I got that once, and I fix it by replacing the Engine Coolant temp. sensor. The old style sensor is prone to crack, the new style sensor is made of brass and it's a updated design. Got it from the dealer for less than $20.
  • My parents are currently in the market for a new vehicle and am inquiring about problems/issues with the Saturn Ion 3 models. We had 2 Saturns both SL2's, one was manual and the other automatic. Both cars have treated us well and barely had any problems and we had over 190,000 miles on them before we traded them in. So my parents trust the cars and know that they will be able to drive them for a while.

Any thoughts, concerns or problems others have encountered would be great!

Thanks in advance!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    My first guess since the outside temperature is not reading correctly is to replace the outside temperature sensor. Most of the itme they are on the front side of the radiator. It's possible it couldhave been damaged when the front bumper came off. Any mechanic (go to an independent shop) can do this. Your A/C won't come on if the outside temperature is below 60 F. there is probably nothign wrong with your AC.

Or if you are handy, you may be able to fix it yourself. Take a look under the hood and locate it. I think it is a matter of unhooking the old sensor and connecting the new. ( i have a 2000 Olds Intrigue and my outside temperature sensor is on the front of the radiator) I like to always get the part first (try an auto part store or your nearest GM dealership) so you know what you are looking for under the hood.

Good luck.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    You should do more research on the Saturn Ion. Saturn is a very different company from when they made the S-series. Also there is a replacement for the Ion coming soon which looks more promising thant the current model.
  • I'm no stranger to saturns, but I am a stranger to owning a manual and more so have had severe problems with my previous vehicles when odd noises began. I have checked the oil everytime I've noticed the problem as I feel a lot of saturn problems are oil-related. Anyway, I have had two problems, at least I think they are problems. First, I have noticed the engine is a bit noisy, with a rattle like sound to it. The oil is fine and I haven't noticed any leaks nor is the belt loose, but I am worried. My last saturn threw a rod within 24 hours of making sounds. Even with an older engine, 130xxx miles old, it still seems noisier than expected. For this I would simply like to know if I should be seriously worried. Second, it seems every once in a while, about twice a week, 1-3 gear seem to sit in the 3000 rpm range no matter how I shift. This makes me wonder if the transaxle or something related could be acting up. As a side note, I have had the engine light come on twice in the last two weeks, both times I was going around 80 with 3-3500 rpms. I don't want to go to the dealer until I have a clue as to the problem because I'm worried they'll either tell me it's not warrantied and I have to pay out my noise or they'll tell me nothing's wrong in an attempt to not have to uphold the warranty as it is about to expire in two weeks. I know this is a lot, but I would like to have some clue as to whether this is normal, due to the operation of the vehicle or if their is an internal problem and what it could be.
  • My 93 SL2 Saturn obtained a noisy engine after I had over 100,000 miles on it and the issue was my motor mount was cracked, I had the motor mount replaced and the engine went back to normal. I would suggest checking the motor mount to ensure that is is not cracked or that it doesn't need to be replaced.

I also noticed after a while that when I started my car it would rev at the 2500 to 3000 rpms. This I found out was due to my temp sensor going and my O2 sensor being shot. I replaced both of those and everything went back to normal. Is the temp gauge above or below the half mark, this is where mine normally was but when I noticed it was reving at a higher rpm my temp gauge was off.

Hope that helps, but I was definately suggest getting it into the dealer before the warranty is up... it's always better to be safe then sorry is what I say.
  • jstefanojstefano Posts: 1
    I bought my first Saturn 10 months ago. I bought the Saturn Ion 3. The car ran beautifully for the first 6 months. I took in the first few months for minor things like hearing wind through the passenger window and sun roof and they replaced the seal (twice now). Well then I started having a problem with the ignition. I couldn't get the key to come out of the ignition. After waiting for a few minutes the key would finally release and I'd be on my way. I took the car in a few weeks ago to Saturn with this problem and they replaced something called a tumbler (I think). I picked up my car after supposedly being fixed and drove 1 hour back to work and GUESS WHAT?!?!? My key wouldn't come out of my car. I called the dealership and was told "well then we're not sure what the problem is we'll get back to you". 3 days later and I still haven't heard from the dealership and I get into my car to go to work and now my car won't start. I had to have my car towed 1.5 hours away to the closest Saturn dealership. My daughter picked out this car because it will be hers in just 2 short years. Now I'm really regretting this decision we made. By the way 4 days later and Saturn still has my car. I would not recommend a Saturn to anyone.
  • samanatorsamanator Posts: 1
    The cooling fan stopped working. I put 12VDC to and it would run. When I hooked it back to the car, it would not come on when the coolant got hot. I think it's a relay but I don't know which one. I really could use some help as I can’t afford to take this car to a shop. thanks in advance for the help.
  • pinktoespinktoes Posts: 2
    I have had my Ion Coupe for about 1 year now and I have already had the horn replaced and the BCM replaced. Now I think my gas gauge is acting up. I will put gas in it and over night it will be 1/8-1/4 a tank lower. Then perhaps the following day, it will be back up to where I expected it to be. It is annoying and I wish my car would just work as expected. Also the cruise control does not work sometimes, and I have begun to wonder if the oil life monitor is working.

Could any of these problems be linked to the replaced BCM? Has anybody else experienced such issues?
  • pinktoespinktoes Posts: 2
    I bought my 05 Ion Coupe 3 about a year ago and have had nothing but headaches. First I had issues with the passive security system shutting off gas to the engine so I would have to pull over and turn the car off. Then my horn stopped working. My current problems include gas gauge fluctuations, a cruise control that works sometimes, a questionable oil life monitor, and more recently, it has difficult to remove my key after shutting it off and I worry it will get stuck in the ignition. Also, I have found the running the a/c seriously puts a dent in your gas mileage. Not good news for a Floridian.

I bought this car because everybody said how Saturn was so great. My parents had a Saturn wagon 7 years ago and it was a great car. I believe the quality of Saturn cars has decreased. I would advise against buying a Saturn. The car you get could be great, or it could be a bag of headaches like mine.
  • blzndavblzndav Posts: 2
    i have a 97 sl2 saturn im lookin for the location of the crankshaft sensor...
  • dyveddyved Posts: 1
    First time posting:
    My car has never given me any problems until just recently I drove to work and parked. After my normal day, I went in to start it, it seemed out of gas, but have a half tank. It just did not want to fire, the battery was okay, the starter was okay but there seemed to be no fuel getting to the engine. I checked some of the fuses the next day and all seemed all right. It seemed to start up fine after letting it sit over night. But once I headed out of town up a hill, it just stopped. As if again, out of gas. Please note, a few days earlier I pumped $20 in gas, although I did not listen to my better judgment and pumped gas when the stations gas tanker was filling their tanks. I realize this stirs up lots of sediments and stuff. Could this be the problem? Someone please advise. Greatly appreciated. :sick:
  • hey im having the same exact problem as you were and was wondering if you ever figured this out and what exactly is wrong with it. You are having the same exact problem as me. If you could please help me it would be much appreciated...thanks
  • hey did you ever end up figuring this out. Im having almost the exact same problem as you and i am getting the same exact codes as you are. If you could please help me out and either just reply or send me an email at nightsnipe@cox.net i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  • smartkidsmartkid Posts: 5
    This has to be the worst car i have ever bought. The first month was good, but then the engine would not start sometimes. The brake pedal felt very tough to press as if it were a rock. Plus, on top of that, the interior is marred with cheap plastic pieces everywhere. I am thinking about getting a mercury mariner. I suggest that noone buys a saturn. My previous one was good it was a 1996. They must have changed engineers or something becuase these cars are nothing like they used to be.link">
  • jbarniejbarnie Posts: 1
    Most of the Saturns I owned have a fuse relay box located under the hood on the drivers side. Unscrew the holddown nut and flip the cover over. It shows each relay and fuse and what they are for. Good luck
  • saras1asaras1a Posts: 1
    I got my car with 23,000 miles on it--my great grandmother's car. Today it has 72,000 miles on it.
    I have replaced the battery, twice.
    Replaced the alternator.
    Rebuilt the transmission--$1509.00--(At the time, it had 56,000 miles on it)
    Replaced the belt tensioner
    My gas gauge is broken,
    and I need a new muffler.

If it is not one problem, it's another.
    Since October my Saturn has been making an awful "clunking/rattling" noise. This noise mostly occurs when I am in drive and when it is completely stopped; if I put the car in neutral the noise quiets down. I was told it could be an engine pulley or a harmonic balancer--any ideas??? If so, please tell me and let me know what the ball park figure will be.
    :sick:
This discussion has been closed.