Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• The SES light on my L-100 has been intermittently on and off for a couple of months. The service tech (not at a Saturn dealership)reset it about a little over a month ago. He said it was an "old" error code and asked whether I filled the tank with the car running. (I do not). The light now stays on and the car has failed emmissions testing for inspection. I'm told they need to remove gas tank to replace a couple of sensors. It's a 2002 with 75, 000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • mrs.amrs.a Posts: 1
    I just purchased an L300 (2002). I absolutely fell in love with it. When I say "just purchased," I mean, it's one week old to me.

Right before I made my purchase, I read these incredibly helpful discussion threads.

#1 - I asked about the quick wear the tires may have and was told that it was the brand of Firestone tires that were sold standard with the car. The mechanic at Saturn told me to get a different Firestone tire or go with Michelin and I shouldn't have a problem with quick wear. We'll see, but I'm optimistic.

#2 - I also had trouble starting my car yesterday afternoon after I came home from work. I thought I had possibly flooded it. My husband tried starting it again this morning and when it didn't start he called our Saturn dealer. The mechanic asked him several questions and walked him through a checklist for the car and then finally asked how much gas I had in my tank. I had a little less than a quarter of a tank of gas. The mechanic then wanted to know if my car was parked on a steep hill. Our driveway has a very, very slight incline (maybe 10 degrees). It was parked pointing up the hill. The mechanic said that for this particular model, anything less (yes, even slight) than a quarter of a tank of gas on a small hill will cause the car to think it's out of gas. I guess the floater in the tank is extra sensitive? On the good side, I'll never run out of gas and always have over a quarter of a tank at least. OR if I have to park on a hill, I'll park with my nose pointing downward.

Not a huge issues, but I thought rather helpful.
  • I OWN A 2002 LW 200 WAGON. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF PROBLEMS. THE TAILLIGHTS SOCKETS ARE ALWAYS A PROBLEM IF YOU DO NOT REINSERT PROPERLY WHEN YOU CHANGE A BURNT OUT BULB. THE FRONT TURN SIGNAL IS ALWAYS BLOWING THE BULB. THE BULB DOES NOT BLOW BUT THE BASE BURNS UP. SOCKET NO GOOD? HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE RIGHT FRONT END SINCE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS. LOUD BANG WHEN HITTING BUMP (NOT VERY LARGE BUMPS) ALSO LOOSE TRACTION OVER ROUGH PAVEMENT WHEEL BOUNCES BADLY. VIBRATION BEGAN AT HIGH SPEED. THE DEALER CHANGED CONTROL ARM AND SAID MY TIRES WERE BAD BECAUSE I HAD NOT ROTATED THEM ENOUGH. I PUT QUALITY TIRES ON AND THE PROBLEM IS STILL THRE. NOW THE HORN BGAN TOOTING OUT OF NO WHERE AND DOES IT WITH THE CAR OFF. I REPLACE HORN RELAY NO CHANGE. REMOVED HORN. RELAY STIL OPERATES EVEN WITH CAR OFF. NOW AUTO DOOR UNLOCK SWITCH WILL NOT UNLOCK DOOR. VERY HAPPY CAMPER!!!!
  • ohtomaohtoma Posts: 28
    The clutch master and slave cylinders have each been replaced once at separate times, then this week the clutch pedal went right to the floor, unfortunately with my wife on the highway. Dealer said it was a defective seal in the master cylinder assembly, however at this point I certainly don't believe it. Fortunately it's under a 50k extended (provided by Saturn due to numerous other issues), unfortunately I only have 1k left!

Anyone else have this problem? They did offer me 3 free oil changes, which I suppose will be of comfort the next time we're stranded on the highway ...
  • Hi,

I have a 1994 Satuen SL2. My problem with this car is, the horn. It doesn't do it all of the time, but when I am driving the horn will go off for no reason.

At times it will stick and others it is just does it three short blasts.

Any ideas?

I disabled the horn because I have been getting funny looks from the local police here.... LOL

-Annie
  • Would like to know more details on the timing chain, how many miles does this happen on a Saturn what makes and years. I have a Saturn LS 2000 4 cylinder 2 cam. Just about 53,500 miles one loan payment to go for February and its mine. And just short of six months of five years warranty was 3/36, looking for help with this problem.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The ones I've run into have had around 120K or so miles on them. There's usually some warning, the chain starts getting noisy as the guides deteriorate and it starts slapping around. Any half decent Saturn tech shuld be able to spot it just by the rattling sound from the timing case.
  • Timing chain went dealership will not make good they said its my negligent of not having oil flushed 11 months ago when I brought it in for a recall I had them change the oil and check the left tail light. They claim went I had them change my oil the oil filter was brittle and apart. They wanted to charge me at that time 200. 00 to 300.00 to flush out the oil to make sure there was no piece of filter in the oil at that time only had enough money to pay for the extra I ask them to do. I’ve had the oil change there was no warning nothing drove the car about a mile came home went to start it up the next morning and nothing. And anyone else can contact me by e-mail if the same problem at storm400@aol.com thanks
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    That is a possible solution for the problem. I know that many of the GM midsize cars built in this time frame have had this problem with the dimming lights. I also am having this problem with mmy 2000 Intrigue. Most people on the Intrigue board believe it is the alternator that is the source of the problem. And GM did issue a revised replacement alternaotr for the Intrigue a couple of years ago.

I will replace my battery (still original battery) this weekend to see if this solves the problem. The battery is chepaer then an alternator.
    Sounds like you have a good Saturn service department to work with. To talk you through your problem over the phone is great.
  • That film you refer to is probably the interaction of the plactic parts in the interior with the sun. The sun beats down on the dashboard and forms a gas which sticks to the wiindshield. All cars and models suffer this problem... Some more than others. The cure is to clean the windshield. The film will return. Sorry, I wish I had other answers to the problem.
  • Hi all! I need help! My 2000 Saturn SL1 just reached 97,000 miles and the check engine soon light came on. I also notice a hesitation when I step on the gas, and it seems to be getting worse. Any ideas about what could be causing this? I will be going to the shop on Mon, and I want to go there informed (lone female going to repair shop--ohh yeaa). Thanks!
  • Hi, I am surprised and sorry to hear about your problems with your Saturn. My wife and I are on our FOURTH Saturns, and are former Honda owners. I too, am an outside sales professional, and I purchased a 1997 SL1 and proceeded to drive it from Miami to Key West on my first sales calls for a new sales job. 300 miles away from home, the car just died. I sat in the middle of the road cursing myself for having switched back from Japanese cars. The dealership (Saturn of Kendall) was wonderful and towed the car back (a $300 tow for sure, minimum). It turned out that the 97's had defective fuel pumps, and that is exactly what was wrong with the car. I drive over 100 miles daily in unforgiving Miami traffic and I drive the car HARD, and I never ever had a more wonderful, reliable, and enjoyable car than this Saturn. After the first time, it never stranded me, and would always find a way to get me home if it was going to break down, and THEN die in the garage. I can also tell you, I maintained the hell out of that car. Because of my job, it was taken in to the dealership every 3000 miles (5000 max) for oil changes, tire rotations, and all scheduled maintenance. Oh for sure, I helped build the new Saturn dealership with my service money, but folks, a car is a machine and needs to be maintained. Another thing I will suggest is that yes, you will pay more by taking the car to the dealership However, independent mechanics often due not have the computer diagnostic equipment that Saturn uses that is located on the left underside of your dash near your fuse box, that they plug into their computer at the dealership to check the vehicle systems. Always remember, mechanics are SUPPOSED to find something wrong with your car, or they don't work and they don't get paid. This past December, I stupidly drove over the median trying to get out of a traffic jam and ripped up the underside of my SL1's radiator. The car had 178,000 miles on it and I was trying to nurse it along since I had paid it off two years ago. I sat down and tallied the amount I paid for service last year and it came out to $2400 or over $200 per month, which is 60% of a car payement. So, I was walking the lot and fell in love with the 2005 Ion Quad Coupe 3, automatic, leather interior, bigger engine, sunroof..and I took the plunge and I ADORE THE CAR. Keep the faith.
  • Sooooo - how did the new battery work out? Did it solve the dimming problem? If yes - which battery specifically. If not - will you try the alternator next?
    I replaced my battery on sunday with the Advance Autoparts 78-2 Titanium. Cost $74, 3 yr. replaement warranty. I did notice last night as I was shoveling snow and cleaning off the car that my headlights did look brighter. So far so good. I'll have more opportunity tonight and the rest of the week to see if I have any more dimming problems.
  • drdavedrdave Posts: 4
    Thanks! Please keep us updated - I practically got run off the road recently by a semi who thought I was flashing my lights at him to safely change lanes in front of me. I've got to find a solution - battery, alternator, or RPG.
    Well even after the battery change, the headlights still flicker. Not near as bad as before. It happened under load (goig up hill with the car down shifting). I noticed it because I was looking for it. I guess the next step is the alternator.
  • storm2storm2 Posts: 3
    I have a saturn 2000 LS the timing chain went Jan 28 2005 damage the piston and valve I have been in touch with saturn corp they do not want to know anything there is a problem from resarhing this on the internet the oil nozzle is causing the flow to the motor to be stop because its to small and the motor is not getting enough oil and the timing chain is going. any out there with the timing chain problem even if you have fix it report it to the report it to the NHTSA Complaints and defects investigation
  • kgbean00kgbean00 Posts: 6
    I currently have a 97 SC1 with 137k miles on it. I don't know much about cars which is why I'm writing...I would like to know if my problem is a big one or small one, mainly so I'll know if I can afford to fix it or not. Back when it hit 122k, some kind of gasket broke and caused the oil to mix with the antifreeze. The dealer tried to fix it but I drove it once and had to take it back because whatever they did didn't work. They then replace the engine with a "new" engine. Since then, I have concluded that I was better off with the one I had before. I have several things wrong with my car but I'm an unemployed college student so I'm only trying to get the things fixed that will make the car run. Please note these problems all came about after the "new" engine was put in. I noticed that Saturns seem to burn oil fast...mine burns oil faster than normal. I drive about 400 or 500 per week and I have to fill my oil once a week. It's very irritating and costly...I buy the generic oil from Walmart since my car uses so much but it still adds up when you're buying in bulk. My guess is there's an oil leak because I do see exhaust coming from my tailpipe when I accelerate and I can smell exhaust in the car sometimes when I am stopped for a while (i.e. in traffic). There's no oil leaking outside of the car (I don't leave oil spots anywhere). Also, the "service engine soon" light is on. It flashes every now and then whenever I get on the highway (which is great because the majority of my driving is on the highway). My car also shakes and rumbles when I accelrate to higher speeds (around 60 or 70). I read the manual and it says the flashing light is because of an engine misfire. Does anyone know what could be causing my problem and about how much it will cost to get fixed? Would it be worth getting fixed or should I just give up? I am planning on taking my car in soon before it dies on me. Thanks!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The original problem was probably a cracked cylinder head at #4 cam tower. The current oil consumption problem is probably stuck piston rings. Both are common Saturn problems. The "new" engine isn't as new as they'd like you to think. Sounds like it needs major internal work. Any chance of them stepping up to the plate and covering the required repairs or replacing the engine with a decent one?
This discussion has been closed.