Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Steering Problems

gotribegotribe Posts: 101
Tried to post this before, didnt work.

I have a 2007 Odyssey Touring with a very annoying "knock" in the steering wheel/column. It occurs upon light acceleration from a stop, and when applying light power in a low speed turn. No other symptoms--van tracks straight, no vibration etc. Dealer/Honda claim this knock is "normal" and that they "all do it". They admit the problem is there but say there is no fix. Has anyone else experienced this or am I getting the runaround?

Comments

• skimoeskimoe Posts: 1
    Funny you should post this point. I purchased a 2007 EX-L back in August and just brought my van to the shop with this exact issue. Unfortunately, it has been very cold in CT and that seems to play into the issue. The car runs real firm when it is very cold out. The noise I would hear is a thumping while driving over uneven surfaces, turning on an incline and accelerating as you stated. I figure there is some play in the steering linkage, but nothing that would cause this thumping. I notice the thumping sound most when you are at a stop facing down a hill. Turn the wheel left and right...you should hear the thumping sound....

Have said all this, I was not able to repeat this issue with the dealer so I may wait until warmer weather to give it another go....

Have you made any progress on your issue beyond the typical dealer jargin..
  • gotribegotribe Posts: 101
    I havent made any more progress, but am scheduled to take the van in this week again. My problem, which does sound similar to yours, is getting worse as the weather gets colder here in Cleveland but that may be a coincidence. I am just not going to accept the answer "they all do it" this time with the dealer. Something is definitely wrong. I'll post again after I fight my next battle.
    Took the van in to the dealer today to find out what's going on with the steering knock. This is the fourth time I've complained about it. The dealer seems to be doing all they can--this time they re-torqued the subframe bolts to see if that would help. It didnt. Dealer still claims that Honda tells them this problem is "normal" so nothing more can be done under warranty--although they suspect it may be the steering knuckle. Enought is enough--tomorrow I call Honda customer service and tell them this is totally unacceptable. If this is a design/part defect its their problem not mine. I'll Lemon Law this van if I have to. Too bad because otherwise I really like the vehicle.
  • I have the same problem before. Cause was worn engine mounts @ 25,000m. Next was the transmission had to be replaced. Then the steering knock came back. Front struts for $800. . I'm cutting my losses and getting rid of this money pit and piece of junk.

I wonder if real automotive engineers designed this van or what. Honda should stop making cars and just go back to motorcycles.
    Well I hope I dont have all of your problems. I've owned 6 Hondas and 2 Acuras over tthe past 12 years or so, and I sadly have to say that quality is getting worse.

Called Honda Customer Service today and they've started a "case" on my stteering knock problem. Regional Mgr supposed to call me back in two days.
  • I'm sure it will be a walk in the park for you having been a very loyal customer.

Too bad Honda doesn't care for first time owners. And if they don't care, I don't care and absolutely would never endorse Honda or Acura to anybody.
    Have had a rather surprising result to my steering knock problem. While waiting for Honda Customer Service to decide what they're going to do, I did a little experiemntation. I moved the telescopic steering wheel in both directions, moved the tilt up and down a few times--and presto noise gone!! I'll keep the case open a little longer with Honda in case the problem comes back, but I still cant believe it was this simple.
  • I had the same problem with my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. After two trips to the dealer, the customer service rep. drove with me and heard the sound (a popping sound coming from the steering column during turning) for himself. My service rep. did some research and found a service bulletin about this problem. They applied a special grease to the steering "splines" and the problem went away for now. I don't have the service bulletin number with me right now, but it is a noted problem with these vans.
    Hope this helps
  • raam4raam4 Posts: 3
    We've had a similar problem from the get go of owning our Odyssey. We have a 2007 Ody with 14k on it (we travel a lot) and have taken it to our nearest dealer twice for similar problems. They claim they can't hear it or feel it. What ours does it you can feel something in the steering/pedals and/or hear a faint click/thump when turning to the left especially if there is a speed bump or some unlevel surface area. We don't know what else to do since they can't duplicate it supposedly when they have it. So I guess we just live with it. We love our Odyssey, but would really like to resolve this issue so it's more enjoyable.

I'm going to try adjusting my steering column as someone suggested. I'd love for it to be that simple!
    Hope "adjusting" the steering column worked for you. Every now and then when the sound comes back, I just unlatch the steering adjustment lever and move the column in and out, up and down and few times, and presto, problem is gone! But I've only had to do that a few times in several thousands of miles of driving.
  • dalarodalaro Posts: 1
    I bought my 2007 Honda Odyssey towards the end of October 2006. It is my first Honda. I always had Toyota cars and vans which were mostly very reliable. At around 3900 miles, I already noticed noise whenever I turn the steering wheel. At first, the service writer told me that there is nothing wrong with it. The noise persisted so I went back again and this time the Mechanic Foreman was the one who drove it with me and agreed that the noise did exist. They replaced the Steering Column Assembly and that fixed it for a while. At around 16,000 miles, the noise came back again. This time, I have not gone back yet because I decided to wait and see for more problems that may develope. The other problems now that I have are: "Thug" noise when I back up and stop with the brake, a little loud humming noise when I am driving, premature rattles.
  • hondaman35hondaman35 Posts: 3
    I had it too and I feel your pain as no one believed me regarding this very unsettling sound until I researched the internet and found this to be a common problem with the new Odyssys.

So here is what you need to do - call up your dealer and tell them that it is "Steering Knock" and that there is a service bulletin out there. The fix is quick and simple, they put a special lubricant in the spline of the steering column. This should make it go away completely. Obviously, this is covered under warranty. Good luck!
  • ednmareednmare Posts: 1
    Just brought my 2007 EX-L in for the same knocking problem in the steering (2nd time). Two months ago (15k miles) I brought it in for the same thing and the dealer replaced the power steering pump. They must have gotten caught up with their service bulletins this time since they went after the column greasing right away.

Does anyone have any follow up information on how the fix hold up after a few thousand miles?
  • Congratulations, looks like you got rewarded for your persistence. For me, the steering knock went away after my dealer greased the "spline" whatever that is, but obviously is part of the steering mechanism. This was done back in Feb and so far so good.
    Actually for me the "greasing" effort didnt work very well. I find whenever the knock reappears, I simply move the steering column in and out, and up and down a few times (not while the car is in motion of course!!) and the problem miraculously goes away. Maybe the action of working the column is somehow spreading the grease to where it needs to be.....
  • fherdeexfherdeex Posts: 2
    June 30, 2008

I just brought my 2007 EX odyssey to the dealership for "steering " sound while slowly turning the wheel either left or right. The team service manager verify by himself about my complaint. They diagnosed the problem with defective left/right front struts and replaced both of them after a week due to material ordering. I assume that the problem was resolve but after going out of the dealership garage, i heard the knocking sound "again". The service technician was called and ask to hear the knocking sound, unfortunately, they ask to keep the car (again) for further diagnosis. I am a loyal honda customer but starting to loose my confidence due to numerous problems i had with this 2007 odyssey.
  • kjprrtkjprrt Posts: 1
    We experienced the same thing with our '07 Ody. First noticed this past winter. Kinda came and went several times. Recently has come back and I could swear I felt the same sensation while starting from a stop. I knew something definitely was not right. Wife brought into the dealership this morning and had JUST called to report back. They followed the TSB on this issue and greased the steering column spline. Hope that cures it. I'll also try moving the steering wheel up/down/left/right for extra measure!
  • fherdeexfherdeex Posts: 2
    The dealership replaced both left and right struts but the problem still exist. I was advised to bring back the vehicle for what they called re-torque and greesing per advised (allegedly) by Honda engineer they contacted . Unfortunately, after 3 attempts, it doesn't fix the problem. Much worst, it gives steering vibration when reaching 80 miles and also when breaking. Since they can't find the solution, they just told me the steering knock sound is normal which is definitely unacceptable. I have plan to speak with the Service manager and probably follow the instructions on the honda warranty manual to seek assistance from Honda helpline or BBB.
  • kpb533kpb533 Posts: 1
    Good luck with this. I have an 07 Odyssey with the same issues. It started with a knock in the steering at 2500 mile and the dealer replaced the left side axle assembly. On the second trip they replace the struts. On the third trip, the lubricated the steering column. The problem started coming back around the 17000 miles and has gotten worse at 29,000 miles. On the way back to the dealer for the 4th time. Wish I still had my 03 odyssey- had 80,000 at trade with no issues ever.
  • I have the same issue in my 07 Odyssey. Today I sent it to dealer, they lubrated the steering column and drive shaft according to service bulletin suggestion. The TSB number is 07-065.